Author Topic: New Poker 61-keys, B or W, choice of MX switches, $75.99 shipped  (Read 2105 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Is this a good deal on these? Seems like it:

IKBC Poker USB Wired Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry Switch PBT Keycap 61-Key

NIB, choice of black or white case and MX Black/Blue/Brown/Red switches (black case + MX Browns n/a), $75.99 + free U.S. shipping from China. (Est. 1–2 mos. delivery time... Oh well, no worse than a Massdrop, LOL)

The minimalist look is alluring. I'm tempted to get one myself to see what all the fuss is about—though I still can't imagine how having to use shortcuts for virtually everything could be considered much of an improvement. (More desk space for snacks?)
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:20:14 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ekeppel

Re: New Poker 61-keys, B or W, choice of MX switches, $75.99 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:21:46 »
It would be a good price for US shipping, but the link you posted shows shipping from Taiwan, so that's about average price buying direct from overseas. 

I've also thought about getting one of these, but I'm just not a fan of Cherry MX switches.  Still, if I found one cheap enough, I would buy it just for the fun of it. :-D

Edit:  I just looked around in case my recollection of prices was off and it was.  Looks like that's a pretty good price, even buying from overseas.  Seems like the average price has gone up a good bit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:33:50 by ekeppel »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:35:33 »
It would be a good price for US shipping, but the link you posted shows shipping from Taiwan, so that's about average price buying direct from overseas.

Most of us already have so many boards to use, 1–2 months could go by and we'd hardly notice. Then this package would arrive and we'd say, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that—cool!" So it depends on how you look at it. It could actually be an advantage. Now I'm considering mailing myself some of my boards—say, via Australia. (Nothing personal, Rowdy.)

I've also thought about getting one of these, but I'm just not a fan of Cherry MX switches.  Still, if I found one cheap enough, I would buy it just for the fun of it. :-D

So what you're saying is, if it was a good enough deal, you'd buy one not to type on, but just so you could leave it sitting around. I can't tell you how knowing that has enhanced my day—because if it has enhanced my day, the effect has been too subtle for me to notice yet. Give me a while, tho, and if anything tangible happens I'll let you know. That said, of course, I may start feeling slightly more spirited at some point and not realize it was from knowing you'd buy one of these Pokers just to leave it sitting around... I'll do the best I can, okay?

BTW, "The keyboard to cheer you up" ? This is a swell example of why it's a good idea for businesses hire writers, even to write one sentence.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:40:17 »
Oh, I would type on it as I do with most of my keyboards, but it wouldn't be my daily driver, that's for sure.  TBH, I *do* happen to have keyboards that I don't type on, though.  There are a few things mounted on the wall of my office as 'art pieces' only.

I really like the form-factor of the Poker though, so I'm torn seeing some of these smaller modern keyboards.  If only someone would make a 60% beamspring / CBS I'd be all set...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:42:40 by ekeppel »

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:52:21 »
While not strictly keyboards, here's what I'm referring to:

170313-0

They aren't anything particularly remarkable as far as keyboards go, but instead represent the evolution of my earliest computing experiences. 

My first PC was the TRS-80 Color Computer with 16K Ram.  When we took it to Radio Shack to upgrade it to 32K, they damaged it during the upgrade and gave us a free Color Computer II 64K machine to make good on it.  I remember being ecstatic about that, lol. 

Eventually we made the leap to the IBM PC compatible world a few years later with the PCjr.  The PCjr had an awful keyboard, but it serves as a reminder of my roots.