Author Topic: [IC] Custom Keyboard - Democratic Republic of MOON - GB open  (Read 52368 times)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: [IC] Custom Keyboard - Democratic Republic of MOON
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 01:04:55 »
Show Image

v1.1
  - a few addition for themed variety
  - weight design updated to realistic moon shapes (thanks @Wraul)

have a great weekend guys!  :thumb:
Hard to pick a favorite there, really well-done man.

Offline solarin006

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 01:55:36 »
Please don't put a geekhack/deskthority/rmk/whatever logo on the weight or case. Get a community cap from your choice of keycap set and be done with it.
discord: @lontra#5740

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 02:54:47 »
more of a general question, but do you guys think the aluminum/green case goes well with a hyperfuse keyset?

Offline swangful

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 03:33:46 »
Please don't put a geekhack/deskthority/rmk/whatever logo on the weight or case. Get a community cap from your choice of keycap set and be done with it.

Okay, nevermind I said it :P
Everyone seems to dislike the idea.

Offline Wraul

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 07:00:32 »
Show Image

v1.1
  - a few addition for themed variety
  - weight design updated to realistic moon shapes (thanks @Wraul)

have a great weekend guys!  :thumb:

Thanks for humouring me with the logo typefaces @gaiden.
Though I must say that of the ones proposed I still like your original typeface the best. It are simply the one that are most in line with the aesthetics of the keyboard.

Some feedback focusing on [A] as I feel it has the most potential.

I feel that the vertical alignment of the O section are a bit off. I think it should either be aligned with the baseline of the letters or completely centered.
See the provided image for some quick edits trying to visualise what I'm talking about.

I also feel like we should try moving the cutouts in the circle to the dot so they separate the planet from its orbit.
Though this runs the risk of it being too close to the problematic logo. It might also be harder to machine.

The weight looks really good. It a shame that it will be a bar as I feel like this design would have looked amazing cut through the bottom.

Offline sysfury

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 07:14:08 »
I feel that the vertical alignment of the O section are a bit off. I think it should either be aligned with the baseline of the letters or completely centered.
See the provided image for some quick edits trying to visualise what I'm talking about.

Show Image

I feel the same. I think the third one looks best.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 07:21:51 »
really like the ideas coming together here

had another design idea last night, gonna start working on that today :)

also, is anyone interested in doing collab? (since it's gonna reflect the community...) or does everyone wanna keep it a contest?

Offline nothingzzz

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 10:46:08 »
This is my idea...
http://imgur.com/XDAWEQL

Offline rioc

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 11:18:49 »
Slight adjustments to one of the older ones, tried a different font, and another idea (not happy with that one yet, gonna work on that):

Tried to incorporate the elliptical orbit of the moon in the new idea...

PS: I'm all for that inlay design with the moon phases (the one where there's all in line and the crescent moons facing outwards)

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 11:20:03 »
not gonna competing (I'm not into logo designing anymore) but i'm rooting for all of you! (still gonna join the gb again lol)
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline rioc

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 11:22:37 »
not gonna competing (I'm not into logo designing anymore) but i'm rooting for all of you! (still gonna join the gb again lol)

anymore? So you're good at it though?

how about collaborating instead of competing ;) (I'd love to see this be a collab logo... throwing my ideas out there) :)

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 11:31:10 »

how about collaborating instead of competing ;) (I'd love to see this be a collab logo... throwing my ideas out there) :)

let's just say it's a past job, but I decided to stop doing it for some reason  :))
hmm, you're right. "collaborating" is a better word to use at the time like this  :thumb:
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline rioc

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 11:46:47 »

let's just say it's a past job, but I decided to stop doing it for some reason  :))
hmm, you're right. "collaborating" is a better word to use at the time like this  :thumb:

what I meant with collaboration is that the logo is the effort or multiple users... a Co-Op :)

Offline iindigo

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 15:57:26 »
Playing with some concepts

Offline gaiden

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 18:47:04 »

v1.2
This is what happens when I rush to post before getting off work around 5pm then trying to make it home on time.. Thanks for pointing it out bro :D I think there are many other interesting design proposals it's a shame the bottom went through such a big change. I really do think the (natural) Moon phases should be the way to go since it's not a unique logo but just a depiction of a series of natural moon shapes. It would've been a huge misopportunity to not do something like that for a keeb called "Moon" amiright?

Offline Arokai

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 23:34:50 »
Ok, this is my first time designing anything. I tried using inkscape and it still could use some smooting out
i also made a base but haven't put it through inkscape

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 June 2017, 23:44:18 by Arokai »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 23:06:02 »
i am bummed about the weight blockout...  :(

Offline swangful

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 00:45:39 »
i am bummed about the weight blockout...  :(

Same, I hope we get some nice moons on the back :D

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:08:22 »
Designs received so far: http://imgur.com/a/gY6cw
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Wraul

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 14:01:18 »

Great work collecting all the proposals. I noticed a couple of things I though i should point out.

The one with the text "Moon Phases" can be removed.
It's just a random image I found on the web while trying to explain my idea for the weight design.
An idea that Gaiden picked up and included in his updated proposal. So as I see things it has served its purpose.

Also when talking about Gaidens proposal, there exists a further tweaked version a couple of posts above this. Which I assume should replace v1.1 on your list.

Thanks for your hard work.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 15:12:02 »

Show Image

v1.2
This is what happens when I rush to post before getting off work around 5pm then trying to make it home on time.. Thanks for pointing it out bro :D I think there are many other interesting design proposals it's a shame the bottom went through such a big change. I really do think the (natural) Moon phases should be the way to go since it's not a unique logo but just a depiction of a series of natural moon shapes. It would've been a huge misopportunity to not do something like that for a keeb called "Moon" amiright?

These are still my favorite designs (lots of close 2nds though).  Just my 2¢ here; why not have the break in the outer circle end near the smaller circle (moon)?  Kind of like tracing the path of the orbiting moon.  Something like this:

Offline gaiden

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 00:06:25 »

Show Image

v1.2

These are still my favorite designs (lots of close 2nds though).  Just my 2¢ here; why not have the break in the outer circle end near the smaller circle (moon)?  Kind of like tracing the path of the orbiting moon.  Something like this:
Show Image

Thanks for the input, I did played around with something similar to your suggestion but the result made it look more like a satellite instead of a moon. That's why I went with a more visually balanced approach.

Offline FingerSuspect

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 00:17:06 »
damn son

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 00:43:12 »

Show Image

v1.2

Show Image

Thanks for the input, I did played around with something similar to your suggestion but the result made it look more like a satellite instead of a moon. That's why I went with a more visually balanced approach.

Ah ok, this is why I sit back and let the artists do their work
  :cool:

Offline nao

• NAO
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 04:58:47 »
Two concepts.

Offline sysfury

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 06:44:27 »

Offline rioc

[IC] Custom Keyboard - Democratic Republic of MOON
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 08:41:50 »
Two sketches I made, gonna make it digital when I'm back home and play around with them.

Still rather ruf ideas though

Offline Kavik

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 08:57:00 »
Two sketches I made, gonna make it digital when I'm back home and play around with them.

Show Image

Show Image

Your top sketch is my favorite of your designs actually. I think it might be rather difficult to CNC though.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline rioc

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 09:03:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

Your top sketch is my favorite of your designs actually. I think it might be rather difficult to CNC though.

Yea, gonna optimise it for cnc

Sent from my toilet using Snapchat.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 09:58:37 »
Is it possible to actually see some of these logos on the board?

Offline rioc

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 10:03:33 »
Is it possible to actually see some of these logos on the board?

I'll see what I can mash up

Sent from my toilet using Snapchat.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 10:08:40 »

Great work collecting all the proposals. I noticed a couple of things I though i should point out.

It's just a random image I found on the web while trying to explain my idea for the weight design.
An idea that Gaiden picked up and included in his updated proposal. So as I see things it has served its purpose.

Also when talking about Gaidens proposal, there exists a further tweaked version a couple of posts above this. Which I assume should replace v1.1 on your list.

Thank you Wraul for your comments and suggestions they were put to good use and hopefully it can help zzyjayfree and his group reach some sort of design conclusion.

In regards to my previous Moon phases weight design, I took the picture provided by Wraul under the assumption that it was an info graphic about what "proper" moon phases should've been. It was my oversight that it was actually an illustration by another artist. Even though I drew the shapes I thought I owe it to myself at least to do some proper research. I went on to gather information about natural moon phases and redraw my design. Based on one of the pictures I found earlier (see below) I was able to identify these moon phases and reconstruct my design. Even though they look similar to the previous, this was definitely my own interpretation on phases and these phases were actually construct from 4 full moon shapes. (Btw, my original weight concept "incorrect moons in a curve line" was inspired by the various height of each moon phases). Anyways thought I owe concerned party an explanation. Many cool logos I love it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 12:14:27 »
imo seems like moon phases should definitely be on the weight. will the weight be engraved now? no possibility of pocket mill?

Offline Arokai

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 14:08:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

That top one is very nice! makes me think of Mass Effect!

I just wish there was a better way to make the Os in general.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 23:28:00 »

Thank you Wraul for your comments and suggestions they were put to good use and hopefully it can help zzyjayfree and his group reach some sort of design conclusion.

In regards to my previous Moon phases weight design, I took the picture provided by Wraul under the assumption that it was an info graphic about what "proper" moon phases should've been. It was my oversight that it was actually an illustration by another artist. Even though I drew the shapes I thought I owe it to myself at least to do some proper research. I went on to gather information about natural moon phases and redraw my design. Based on one of the pictures I found earlier (see below) I was able to identify these moon phases and reconstruct my design. Even though they look similar to the previous, this was definitely my own interpretation on phases and these phases were actually construct from 4 full moon shapes. (Btw, my original weight concept "incorrect moons in a curve line" was inspired by the various height of each moon phases). Anyways thought I owe concerned party an explanation. Many cool logos I love it!

Awesome, only reason I had a question mark is because I want to make sure we do this RIGHT this time.. EVE and I both like your design, thanks for your hard work!
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 00:13:21 »

Awesome, only reason I had a question mark is because I want to make sure we do this RIGHT this time.. EVE and I both like your design, thanks for your hard work!

@zzyjayfree, 100% agree. Must keep everything original and try to keep designs true to its name sake. Everyone is reaching for the moon but this keeb gets pretty damn close!  :thumb:

Meanwhile just finished some PS renders for fun, had to see it on the board to get better visual before calling the day.

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 June 2017, 09:18:24 by gaiden »

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 00:56:58 »
Do you think you can post more pics of the actual keyboard and the color combos. Especially the green one!

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 01:28:22 »
Seeing the logos actually on the keyboard is a HUGE help.   :eek:  Nice ps :thumb:

Offline Tally810

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 01:30:57 »

@zzyjayfree, 100% agree. Must keep everything original and keep the designs true to its name sake. Everyone is reach for the moon but this keeb gets pretty damn close!  :thumb:

Meanwhile just finished some PS renders for fun, had to see it on the board to get better visual before calling the day.

Show Image

Both look super nice dude.  Good work

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Arokai

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 10:09:09 »
I love Gaiden's design! just can't get over how it looks like MON though, Maybe if the Oo's were offset or the moon was slightly larger (even though its physically incorrect)

Offline swangful

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 11:51:25 »

@zzyjayfree, 100% agree. Must keep everything original and try to keep designs true to its name sake. Everyone is reaching for the moon but this keeb gets pretty damn close!  :thumb:

Show Image

Let's just say this wins and start GB round 2. This is good stuff.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:39:29 »
I love Gaiden's design! just can't get over how it looks like MON though, Maybe if the Oo's were offset or the moon was slightly larger (even though its physically incorrect)

I feel like thats true, the  Oo should be more horizontal in my opinion. But i think that should be voted on. Also, just wondering, is there a chance that there will be more pictures of all the color combinations during the group buy. During the cancelled group buy I feel like there weren't enough pictures to really see the keyboard. I mean especially if the Chinese group buy i finished, I don't see why there could be more actual pics of the keyboard without the logo.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:41:06 »

Show Image

Let's just say this wins and start GB round 2. This is good stuff.

That actually does looked damned good. If that design wins, I can't say I'd be disappointed.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 14:01:31 »
Can you PS the "C-Nature" logo on there?  I'm still partial to that one. 

Offline rioc

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 15:54:10 »
digital form of sketches:

some mashups to see how it would look like:

not gonna suggest a weight design, the natural moon-phases are what I'd like to see there too... (so sad it won't be a cut out though anymore)

Offline Blrq

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 16:47:03 »
Show Image

Great work! This looks great!  :thumb:
What would this design look like without the 'M' and the 'N'? Would it be too Ann compared to a text logo?

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 17:33:16 »
first one looks really nice

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 17:45:56 »
Agreed, top one is my favorite in that set. 

Is it possible to set some hard dates for design submissions, voting, and finally the GB.  I want muh Moon!
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 June 2017, 19:18:07 by metalliccharles »

Offline gaiden

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 23:17:48 »

What would this design look like without the 'M' and the 'N'? Would it be too Ann compared to a text logo?

As requested, more variations.

I feel like thats true, the  Oo should be more horizontal in my opinion. But i think that should be voted on. Also, just wondering, is there a chance that there will be more pictures of all the color combinations during the group buy. During the cancelled group buy I feel like there weren't enough pictures to really see the keyboard. I mean especially if the Chinese group buy i finished, I don't see why there could be more actual pics of the keyboard without the logo.

Having the moon (smaller circle) in line horizontally was one of my first approaches to this logo design. However easier it reads I felt it was a bit too 'linear' (not very fun to look at) and thus [A] Solar seems to have a more diverse structure and offer better space treatment for M & N. So that was my chain of thoughts. Here it is in PS render for your visual curiosity :)

I really do appreciate all the feedback guys how I wish all my clients are this responsive & easy to work with!  :))

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 23:48:46 »

As requested, more variations.
Show Image

Having the moon (smaller circle) in line horizontally was one of my first approaches to this logo design. However easier it reads I felt it was a bit too 'linear' (not very fun to look at) and thus [A] Solar seems to have a more diverse structure and offer better space treatment for M & N. So that was my chain of thoughts. Here it is in PS render for your visual curiosity :)
Show Image

I really do appreciate all the feedback guys how I wish all my clients are this responsive & easy to work with!  :))

this makes it look even more like it says MON and not MOON
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90