Author Topic: IBM F XT - Interesting in the way a train wreck is  (Read 3773 times)

Offline OldIsNew

IBM F XT - Interesting in the way a train wreck is
« on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 01:32:08 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 July 2017, 01:54:13 by OldIsNew »

Offline xueyao

Re: IBM F XT - Interesting in the way a train wreck is
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 05:42:07 »
It's not too unsalvageable actually, just the flippers are broken although the price is way too high for someone else to finish the project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 12:27:24 »
This project is definitely salvageable. Looks like any average XT I have ever taken apart. Bonus is that it includes a teensey and free shipping but price is a bit too high though. Maybe someone here can shoot the seller a more reasonable offer and restore it back to it's former glory? If anyone does contact the seller, do mention where you are located as that will make a difference in the shipping cost for the seller.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 13:46:46 »
It's not too unsalvageable actually, just the flippers are broken although the price is way too high for someone else to finish the project

I'm sure it can be saved ( agree $100 way too much, however) -  I'm just imagining how frustrating it must be for the person who's been working on this - start out with an intact keyboard and end up with a pile of pieces they can't get back together again (I'm sure that day is coming for me at some point too).

Oh BTW the PCB looks unusual to me. I've had a couple of XTs and I haven't seen one with a black coating over the pads - is it an older/newer version - any significance to it?

173393-0

Offline xueyao

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 18:09:03 »

I'm sure it can be saved ( agree $100 way too much, however) -  I'm just imagining how frustrating it must be for the person who's been working on this - start out with an intact keyboard and end up with a pile of pieces they can't get back together again (I'm sure that day is coming for me at some point too).

Oh BTW the PCB looks unusual to me. I've had a couple of XTs and I haven't seen one with a black coating over the pads - is it an older/newer version - any significance to it?

(Attachment Link)
I've seen this before, the PCB is just quite old and the foam has broken down quite a bit, causing it to oxidise losing its golden shine.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 05:34:48 »
Someone should've messaged him and pointed him to this page.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 11:31:11 »

I've seen this before, the PCB is just quite old and the foam has broken down quite a bit, causing it to oxidise losing its golden shine.

Possible I guess, but it really shouldn't happen because of the protective coating on the Model F PCB pads and tracings. Plus the foam doesn't contact the pads themselves. This  PCB looks kind of similar to a picture of a 3276 beamspring PCB I saw on the DT Wiki and it really looks like it was manufactured that way, at least in the pic. Different manufacturing plants maybe?

F XT PCBs I've seen: 

173971-0   

This F XT PCB:

173967-1           

3276 beamspring PCB:

173969-2

Offline xueyao

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 11:45:50 »

Possible I guess, but it really shouldn't happen because of the protective coating on the Model F PCB pads and tracings. Plus the foam doesn't contact the pads themselves. This  PCB looks kind of similar to a picture of a 3276 beamspring PCB I saw on the DT Wiki and it really looks like it was manufactured that way, at least in the pic. Different manufacturing plants maybe?

F XT PCBs I've seen: 

(Attachment Link)    

This F XT PCB:

(Attachment Link)            

3276 beamspring PCB:

(Attachment Link)
I think you're right, from my small sample size of 3 I would say that if it's not in a good condition the pcb would be greyish instead of shiny (which doesn't affect performance as far as I know so it doesn't really matter)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 01:40:27 »
"Say, look over there—a train wreck."

"Interesting, isn't it?"

"Yes, very interesting, as train wrecks go."

Speaking of train wrecks, have you seen the famous photos of the Paris wreck of 1895, when a locomotive overran the end-of-line barrier, zoomed through the station's 100-foot concourse, then crashed through the front wall and plunged to the street below?

Miraculously, only one person was killed (on the street, from falling building fragments). If you're interested, here's a good blog page about the incident.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg