Author Topic: Shooting Surveyors  (Read 3570 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Shooting Surveyors
« on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:01:30 »
Now I'm not in a spot any pipelines are being built, but as I see things if it is your private land and someone comes onto it with no court order when you specifically told them you do not offer your permission, I see no issue with shooting them. Obviously you want signs on your property border saying Trespassers Will Be Shot, but if some big energy concern wanted to steal part of my land w/o permission and they refuse to listen to my objections, I can't say I didn't warn them.
Thoughts?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Shooting Surveyors
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:07:05 »
i don't live in murica so i don't know the laws of the land

can you like, shoot their gear instead? it's pretty expensive. or is that actually more illegal than shooting the people?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:10:10 »
There's literally a law called Make My Day giving property owners the right to shoot anyone who enters their property without permission. A while back some guy got off for shooting a cop that came into his home while he was sleeping.

But sure, warning shots or shooting their vehicle would make more sense.

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:20:55 »
Be prepared to state this case to a jury of your peers. Pretty sure you cannot use deadly force unless its in a self defense situation in any US state. Even if they are on your private property and you have thousands of signs.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:23:45 »
yeah, the reason i say that is mostly because the real reason they're there is more likely because their boss told them to be, rather than them being there on their own decision

damaging their gear would hurt the business instead

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:44:20 »
It depends on the state etc.

I've been on plenty of hostile properties with the local sheriff along to get a job done.

Also FYI depending on the type of energy we are talking about gas, oil, coal, etc they can come on your property and do almost anything they want depending on what the mineral rights say. You would be surprised at the amount of 'compensation' that is done ONLY for good PR, not because they have to.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:55:56 »
It depends on the state etc.

I've been on plenty of hostile properties with the local sheriff along to get a job done.

Also FYI depending on the type of energy we are talking about gas, oil, coal, etc they can come on your property and do almost anything they want depending on what the mineral rights say. You would be surprised at the amount of 'compensation' that is done ONLY for good PR, not because they have to.

I've heard of some really nice offers, $100k for only 3 acres of land, but some folks are super protective of their land especially when it's been in the family a long time. I can't imagine energy workers don't get shot at all the time in some states.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:23:43 »
Shooting someone for trespassing that isn't attempting to harm anyone is right near the top of the list of royally effed up things to do.
keyboards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:24:47 »
Shooting someone for trespassing that isn't attempting to harm anyone is right near the top of the list of royally effed up things to do.

I think they call it uncivilized.. 

Maybe with a BB gun..

hahahaha...

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:30:41 »
One thing to remember, nobody truly owns property.  We 'lease' property from the state by paying our taxes.  If you don't pay your taxes, the state can take the property and everything that is on it and sell it for the the cost of unpaid taxes.  Check out tax deed/lien sales if you are interested.

edit:  Should have said, many states.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:30:57 »
****, in Australian they can build a pipeline through your property without your permission, you get forced to sell. Same as if they want to build a road and ur house is in the way

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:45:06 »
****, in Australian they can build a pipeline through your property without your permission, you get forced to sell. Same as if they want to build a road and ur house is in the way

Damn the oligarchs

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:50:01 »
Most civilised countries have those kinds of laws... Sucks if you are on the receiving end but there wouldn't be train tracks or power lines without them.
The only way to prevent prospectors to come in the first place might be to make sure that there are local or regional laws against pipelines or oil prospecting specifically... Didn't help the Standing Rock Reservation though.

At least you are not living in Russia. There your land would just be taken, no compensation.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:53:49 by Findecanor »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 01:25:16 »
HAHAHAHAHA

Not helping any stereotypes here, mate :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 01:31:19 »
Now I'm not in a spot any pipelines are being built, but as I see things if it is your private land and someone comes onto it with no court order when you specifically told them you do not offer your permission, I see no issue with shooting them. Obviously you want signs on your property border saying Trespassers Will Be Shot, but if some big energy concern wanted to steal part of my land w/o permission and they refuse to listen to my objections, I can't say I didn't warn them.
Thoughts?
I'm going to guess you lack the money to fight said corporation, in which case you probably lack the money for a lawyer who can get you off a murder charge.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 01:54:02 »
Thoughts?
I'm going to guess you lack the money to fight said corporation, in which case you probably lack the money for a lawyer who can get you off a murder charge.

If you don't shop online,  they'll probably never find you..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 03:18:10 »

There are exceptions - there's a house near the beach in Adelaide and the road winds around the property.  House built first.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 03:28:25 »
I worked a short while for the national power grid in my country. I heard that planning of a new stretch of power lines would often take twenty years before work even starts on building it, and that is mostly because of negotiations with all the land owners along the planned stretch. There are often multiple alternatives along the way that are tried depending on the wishes of different land owners and counties.

Back to the original question... What is the legality of building traps? Let's say that you dig a pit in a field that you cover with branches, in an area long from any public roads, where there is no cell-phone service and where only surveyors would go.
If the surveyors don't tell you beforehand where they will go, then you would not be able to tell them about the trap, and you would not be liable, would you?
And what if you don't call it a "trap"? It could just be an "abandoned well" with a very dodgy "roof" ...
Purely a hypothetical question, of course.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 July 2017, 03:35:42 by Findecanor »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 03:38:39 »

There are exceptions - there's a house near the beach in Adelaide and the road winds around the property.  House built first.

Not a hard and fast rule that they will kill ur house. Example, they are building a pipeline through a property and it cuts right through the range we were going to so cops have put up signs saying no more shooting here ****ers or else. i dont even think the property owner knows its being built yet

Offline iri

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 04:34:39 »
At least you are not living in Russia. There your land would just be taken, no compensation.
A dozen comments in and here we go, an expert on Russia shows up. Didn't expect this **** outside reddit.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 05:02:23 »
I figured that you would be triggered, Iri. ;)
Maybe there is a way that it is supposed to work, but I have heard too many stories about corrupt property-grabs in Russia.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 July 2017, 05:05:26 by Findecanor »

Offline iri

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 05:16:03 »
I figured that you would be triggered, Iri. ;)
Only a Danish person can be that horrible.

I've heard too many stories about Sweden being overrun by Muslims.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 July 2017, 05:35:54 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 06:09:52 »
Well, don't just complain. Tell us how it is in Russia, from your perspective!

Offline iri

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 06:15:43 »
It's great in Russia. But shooting a surveyor is guaranteed prison time :p

-Ray Bradbury

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 18:05:57 »
Thoughts?

Shoot em and report back...I'm curious.

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 20:00:38 »
Make sure the first shot puts him or her down, right? Otherwise they might shoot back. I know I would.