Author Topic: Logitech K840 - a non-ugly Romer G board  (Read 24778 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Logitech K840 - a non-ugly Romer G board
« on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 16:37:06 »
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/k840-mechanical-corded-keyboard?crid=27

Had a chance to try one of these out today at Best Buy. Super nice. The top case is just a flat piece of aluminum, and the font is nicely subdued and professional, not that god-awful gaming "G" font. No dedicated media keys, macro keys, backlighting, or other bells/whistles. Just a solid, full size board. Unfortunately, it being Romer-G there aren't any aftermarket caps available, and the stock ones are ABS.

Board feels like a really solid and smooth MX Brown, but with a slightly shorter throw (guessing closer to 1.5mm than 2mm). I do wish the cable was detachable, but overall it's not a bad board for $80

Offline dante

Re: Logitech K840 - a non-ugly Romer G board
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 16:51:15 »
Noise comparison to MX Brown?

Offline pingmaster

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 17:04:31 »
Give or take same to slightly louder. Depends on which brown chassis you are talking about.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 17:12:55 »
Noise comparison to MX Brown?

I have a Masterkeys Pro S (87 key) w/ browns, and the RomerG is noticeably quieter. But IIRC my old Filco MJ2 w/ Browns was about as quiet as the RomerG

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 17:20:53 »
New Romer G aren't bad. They seem to be less mushy now and a bit smoother.

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 17:48:32 »
Yeah, not sure if this can overthrow the holy Dell KB-522.

I may stop by BB if I'm in the area to check it out.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 20:34:27 »
There is also an 87key variant.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 20:45:56 »
romerg is mechanically awesome..  and built by the best..

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 21:47:56 »

Only in the G line. The only 87 key Romer G boards I could find are the Pro and the G410. The Pro definitely looks better than the G410 (yuck), but still has that god-awful gaming font, backlighting, media keys, and both cost about $50 more than the K840.

There's also a backlit gaming version of the K840, the G413, which is $10 more at $89.00 USD.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 23:51:10 »

Only in the G line. The only 87 key Romer G boards I could find are the Pro and the G410. The Pro definitely looks better than the G410 (yuck), but still has that god-awful gaming font, backlighting, media keys, and both cost about $50 more than the K840.

There's also a backlit gaming version of the K840, the G413, which is $10 more at $89.00 USD.
It's more than that, the keycap shape is different and lacks the emblems. I get it, it's no Filco, but for Logitech, this is pretty conservative in terms of looks.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 01:16:55 »
Romer G's are okay, I don't know why they receive so much negative attention, they feel just fine to me  :thumb:

Not that I've ever actually used them for more than a few minutes, but as I remember them on my friends board, they weren't that bad.

Also, I think the G Pro looks pretty cool: https://www.gamecrate.com/sites/default/files/background_image/logitech%20g%20pro.jpg

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:23:36 »
Romer G's are okay, I don't know why they receive so much negative attention, they feel just fine to me  :thumb:

Not that I've ever actually used them for more than a few minutes, but as I remember them on my friends board, they weren't that bad.

Also, I think the G Pro looks pretty cool: https://www.gamecrate.com/sites/default/files/background_image/logitech%20g%20pro.jpg
I haven't heard any complaints really, though I haven't really been looking either. Testing them in store they felt good to me, but then I tend to like odd switches so I'm not sure how valid my perception of them would be.  :))
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 05:21:01 »

G Pro looks decent.
It's just my opinion though but the RGB makes it look more like a toy than a keyboard.

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 10:05:35 »

Yeah, unfortunately all the current TKL versions scream L33T GAM3R; no clean looking TKL version of the K840 exists.

It does beg a question though, rubberdomes = cheap , Logitech has great rubberdomes , why not make a TKL of the Logitech Illuminated or other board in the line up?

A TKL of the discontinued Ultra-X Premium would make my panties moist indeed.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 14:12:55 »
New Romer G aren't bad. They seem to be less mushy now and a bit smoother.

So I recently tried a G910 in store and it felt great!  Nothing like the old mushy Romer-G I remembered.

I think they updated the switches and HUGE improvements on stabilizers (back then was mushier than Cherry stabilizer, now it feels like Costar).

However I tried G910 it was great, G810 however still had the same mushy stabilizer.

So now I'm wondering if anyone know K840 has the "clean" stabilizer?

Anyone actually bought this can confirm?

I'm actually really interested in purchasing the K840 if they have updated everything to reflect the clean typing feel of G910.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 16:09:52 »
TBH, I absolutely love the way the K840 feels. However, until I can get PBT caps, Romer-G is a non-starter :(

Offline Hyde

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 10:52:52 »
TBH, I absolutely love the way the K840 feels. However, until I can get PBT caps, Romer-G is a non-starter :(

Did you remember anything regarding the stabilizer by any chance?  Typically Romer-G has horrible stabilizers, I was hoping K840 will come with the updated ones.

Maybe I should try to hunt down a display model somewhere hmmmm......

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:19:43 »
The stabilized keys felt perfectly serviceable. I didn't think to pop off a key and see what was going on underneath tho :(

Offline Hyde

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 21:06:32 »
LOLLLL so I took a leap of faith and used google, this is what I found:

177058-0

ROMER G USES CHERRY STABILIZERS.

No wonder if suffers the same fate of "mushy bottom out".

Now I wonder if they have pre clipped models.  :P

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:51:36 »
Thanks for your great review, daerid.

I'd never heard of Romer-G's, and found this review of one of Logitech's other boards quite helpful:

Amazon currently has the K840 on sale for $59.99 with free shipping—pretty cheap for any full-size mainstream MK.

Too bad there's no backlighting, as one of the Romer-G's distinctive features is how it optimizes lighting by placing the LED in the middle of the switch:

But the K840 was designed as a business board. And at the sale price, it seems like a good way for peeps who don't require disco effects to try these intriguing switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 August 2017, 03:55:02 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 04:27:35 »
This is fun 'n' interesting too:

Omron Factory Tour - The Making of a Logitech Romer-G Switch

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 06:25:52 »
Putting aside my feelings of what I think about how the switch itself feels since that is subjective.

As long as they come stock with those god awful toy feeling keycaps and don't offer compatibility with MX stems to replace them.....I'm not sure how they could feel good to anyone based on those cheap horrid keycaps alone.  They really need to offer a model with PBT caps preferably thick ones or at the very least thicker ABS doubleshots.  Also if they have not already done so i'd love to see a Linear variant.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Hyde

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 22:10:21 »
Damn Omron factory is so amazing, makes me want to buy a Logitech keyboards now.

BUT why go through such lengths and not design their own stabilizers, sighhhhh.

So close Logitech, so close!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 07:07:51 »
Yeah, but really, guys, for 60 bucks you're not going to get a Filco.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 10:41:21 »
Yeah that's the dilemma, it's like at that price it's hard to turn it down.  :P

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 16:47:36 »
If they made it with better caps it would be a good recommendation for someone who wants a nice quiet tactile board imo. at least they dont use some blocky tron razer font.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 09:43:20 »
Yeah, but really, guys, for 60 bucks you're not going to get a Filco.

No,but even $30 Velocifire boards come stock with better keycaps, the ones Logitech uses are just ****. 
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 00:53:06 »
Lack of PBT/aftermarket caps are the only reason I haven't picked one up yet :(

Offline Hyde

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 22:12:16 »
lol I jumped the gun and bought it.  Amazon had a sale I couldn't resist.

As I suspected the stabilizer feels "meh" because Cherry.  So I might attempt to void the warranty and desolder the 8 stabilized switches and clip mod the stabilizers.

But otherwise I think they definitely updated the Romer G switches, I think it used to have "cushion legs" built into the switch stem but now it definitely feels like they took it out because the bottom out feel is nice and crisp (minus the Cherry stabilized ones).

It's like a short travel Brown with less wobble and actuation point right at the top.

I quite like it so far.  Will update once I clip mod the stabilizers.  :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 23:34:47 »

As I suspected the stabilizer feels "meh" because Cherry.  So I might attempt to void the warranty and desolder the 8 stabilized switches and clip mod the stabilizers.

But otherwise I think they definitely updated the Romer G switches, I think it used to have "cushion legs" built into the switch stem but now it definitely feels like they took it out because the bottom out feel is nice and crisp (minus the Cherry stabilized ones).

It's like a short travel Brown with less wobble and actuation point right at the top.

but then it'd be louder

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 00:13:33 »
It's branded as the "G413" here in NZ, I tried it at the shop just the other day and it feels really solid actually, glad Logi got rid of those keycaps that were found on the G910! :p

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline Hyde

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 20:39:37 »

but then it'd be louder

It's a tiny bit louder than what it was before but I think it's still quieter than Cherry MX variants, and feels WAY better than their old version (more like mechanical keyboard now).

It's branded as the "G413" here in NZ, I tried it at the shop just the other day and it feels really solid actually, glad Logi got rid of those keycaps that were found on the G910! :p

I think you're thinking the gaming keyboard hence the "G"413.  Which is this:  http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g413-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

But the one I got is their office line hence the "K"840.  Which is this:  http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/k840-mechanical-corded-keyboard?crid=27

It's very similar except G413 has backlight and K840 doesn't have any lighting functions at all.

For me I generally don't care about lighting so this works for me.

Oh and now that I've clipped and lubed the stabilizers it's SOOOOOOOO much better.  I will write an review after 1 week.  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:08:55 by Hyde »

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 20:44:25 »

I think you're thinking the gaming keyboard hence the "G"413.  Which is this:  http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g413-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

But the one I got is their office line hence the "K"840.  Which is this:  http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/k840-mechanical-corded-keyboard?crid=27

It's very similar except G413 has backlight and K840 doesn't have any lighting functions at all.

For me I generally don't care about lighting so this works for me.

Oh and now that I've clipped and lubed the stabilizers it's SOOOOOOOO much better.  I will write an review after 1 week.  :)
[/quote]

Oops, Silly me! I didn't know that!
They look so similar and I guess I wasn't paying attention, that's very cool.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:03:51 »
I'm not a big fan of lighting either!

Lighting just means more things to break over time... :)

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline Hyde

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:11:48 »
I'm not a big fan of lighting either!

Lighting just means more things to break over time... :)

lol for me I think I own 1 backlit keyboard, which I just turn the light on to take pretty pictures then turn it off after.

For me it feels odd seeing light from the bottom peripheral vision.  That and generally non backlit version is cheaper anyway which is a bonus.  :P

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:49:37 »
Lol, totally relatable!

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline Hyde

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 22:43:39 »
Here I've wrote a review about this keyboard:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91503.0

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

:)

I'll upload a typing video some point later in time lol.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 05:14:28 »
Sweet. I tried Romer G in store few times and liked it a lot, but the gaming keyboard looks were a turn off. This one looks good, but I'd really like the light coloured version.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Hyde

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 21:27:12 »
There is a light coloured version?  :eek:

Offline Hyde

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 21:20:48 »
Okay here's some update, so I've had some crazy long online chat with friends tonight and my wrist are getting tired.

So I don't know if it's the typing angle or weight (feel like heavier than MX Brown but lighter than MX Black, normally I'm used to MX Brown / 45g Topre).

I'll update you guys as I use it but so far off the bat if you like light weight switches Romer-G might be a tab bit heavier than what you're used to.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 16:50:44 »
I've always felt that shorter throws make for more tired fingers/wrist. It's why I could never get into o-rings for cherry or topre :(

Offline Coffee

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 19:29:43 »
I tried this keyboard and ended up returning it. I have found that I really don't like shorter travel distances on my switches. I really did not care much for this switch at all. For the price though, I can see how this could be attractive to some people looking for a quieter and affordable keyboard for the office.

Offline typo

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 22:14:34 »
TP and I agree as usual. The inside of the keys on the backlit models, like G-410 is the same thing are white inside. Doubleshot, Dye Sub? Plenty of people love GMK so......

Offline Hyde

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 23:03:24 »
I've always felt that shorter throws make for more tired fingers/wrist. It's why I could never get into o-rings for cherry or topre :(

I think this might be it, I always find for typing long travel feels more comfortable.

Though I haven't try gaming yet to see if it actually is more "responsive".

Will have to test that out later.  :P

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 23:19:22 »
The pad-printed caps though, It's a shame there aren't many Replacement Romer-G's caps available...

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline typo

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 01:30:25 »
Oh man that blows. Anyone serious pretty much has to forget it then. Even if we touch type that ends up to be such an ugly mess. Especially the mileage most of us put on. Being no extra caps how can anyone here even consider it? The switch is not that fantastic. It's nice but something that light(to me) I would rather Realforce even with difference in price.

Offline typo

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 03:27:11 »
Wait a second, you mean the 810 is pad printed? How could the 410 possibly be pad printed? The light has to shine through. Unless there is something I do not know.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 03:31:18 »
Wait a second, you mean the 810 is pad printed? How could the 410 possibly be pad printed? The light has to shine through. Unless there is something I do not know.

My bad for not clarifying, I mean the K840 is pad-printed, I'm not sure about the 810 or 410  :p

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 05:33:09 »
until recently most stock oem backlit caps are just abs caps with black paint over translucent plastic

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline typo

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 06:59:26 »
Recently, What are they now? I mean in mainstream brands. Also it is G413 for the no frills backlit one. I mentioned "G410". It is interesting with gamers. Now mechanical keyboards in the US are mainly marketed to gamers. Many state that the G413 is the entry level model and they moved up from a rubber dome. For typing it is fine. not wanting media keys etc. Some say it flexes others say it is rock solid. Of course reading on best buy Duh. Honestly I do not see how the Topre RGB is worth $260 to a typist. even though I bought it. It does not even feel like an Actual REalforce. I am not sure about Romer-G switches but it would certainly seem like a better value for someone simply typing. An actual Real force is a different story. Apparently for the 413 the silver has white led's and the carbon, red. It appears to be a 3mm led in the middle of the spring. I am not positive about that since especially today everything is SMD. In an automated factory it is actually much easier to do SMD than through hole. For instance in audio the very high end equipment is all through hole still and costs a fortune. Average home theater stuff is all SMD.

I am thinking of this as a candidate to stop constantly servicing my old Deck's. however I have a feeling the build quality is not even close. Probably I will just go rip all the blue led's out of one now and replace with white. I think coming from this, especially at the weight I have the switches it will not suit me. I will certainly go look. Deck has been my daily driver for years. The TG3 ones. I have a bunch of other high end boards. Romer-G does pique my interest. Plus Logitech is as has been mentioned top notch. Not only in their product quality but their CS is second to none. Say it broke, new one on the way. That simple. Given that I really would not go abuse that. Luckily over the years I suppose not many people did or they could not continue with such a policy. I love Logitech's quality. even if it is made in china does not matter in this case.