Author Topic: New member and Mac fan  (Read 2381 times)

Offline mjcr

New member and Mac fan
« on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 19:02:56 »
Hi All,

Excited to find this site, as I'm just getting into mechanical keyboards off the back of typewriters and the Freewrite, which has a nice mechanical keyboard. Any advice for a UK Mac user?

Cheers!

M.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Re: New member and Mac fan
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 11:21:31 »
I'm pretty new here too, so I don't have much to offer in the way of advice.  However. . .

I'm also a long time Mac user.  Lately I've been considering a move to Ubuntu -- at least for some things -- and I find I still prefer a Mac keyboard layout with Linux.  Typing right now on a Matias Mini Tactile Pro that I added O-rings to, and it's a very spiffy little keyboard.

Going forward, I think my focus is going to be on fully programmable boards with split space bars.  Banana Split 60, I hope!

Offline spycon69

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 12:00:49 »
New member here as well and mac user.  As a fan of mech keys I've been trying a while ago to find a decent mechanical for mac but unfortunately no luck yet...I am using  modified corsair strafe rgb with silent mx switches and the CQB driver which works ok

cheers :)

Offline raxander

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 21:28:44 »
Here's a list from the reddit /r/MK wiki: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/appleosx_keyboards#wiki_mac_specific_mechanical_keyboards

Not sure which of those might be available in ISO layout.  I think the only difference between a mac-specific keyboard and a normal one is just that the keycaps are printed with "Command" and "Option" instead of "Control" and "Win".  So any ISO keyboard should work for a mac, but you could swap the keycaps or just remember that e.g. "Control"="Command".
 I'm not a Mac user, though, so not exactly sure.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 22:01:09 »
Hi, another Mac user here. There are lots of us here, as are Win and Linux users.

I'd say any keyboard that's fully programmable will do fine for Mac. It seems to me that some of the "media" keys are different for Mac vs. others. Your play/pause might be their volume++ or whatever, but with full programmability you'll be covered.

Welcome!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”