Author Topic: Sold - Model F XT - $56 + shipping  (Read 3172 times)

Offline JP

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 December 2017, 01:19:30 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Model F XT - $56 + shipping
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 09:32:03 »
And they're even accepting offers!

But why did they open it up like that to take pictures of the plate?  Surely someone that does that has a cable to test it...

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 10:21:30 »

But why did they open it up like that to take pictures of the plate?  Surely someone that does that has a cable to test it...

Taking it apart and having either an XT class machine and/or soarers converter requires more a lot more than loosening screws.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 10:47:02 »
The XT is easy to open, unlike the AT, which is a nightmare.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 12:55:47 »

Taking it apart and having either an XT class machine and/or soarers converter requires more a lot more than loosening screws.
But there is that cable by orihalcon that is plug and play, no?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XT-AT-to-USB-Soarers-Converter-Remapping-Macros-NKRO-Support-IBM-Model-F/282575691272?hash=item41cad2de08:g:U4cAAOSwDN1USZL-:sc:USPSFirstClass!35613!US!-1

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 13:13:37 »

But there is that cable by orihalcon that is plug and play, no?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XT-AT-to-USB-Soarers-Converter-Remapping-Macros-NKRO-Support-IBM-Model-F/282575691272?hash=item41cad2de08:g:U4cAAOSwDN1USZL-:sc:USPSFirstClass!35613!US!-1

I mean in response to this "Surely someone that does that has a cable to test it...", seller can take it apart, but that doesn't mean they have the means to test it.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 18:11:35 »

And yet, this is the superhuman kind of thing we do, because we are...

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:05:38 »
Actually, wouldn't Ubergeeks be more appropriate?

Or even Ubergeekhacks?

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:59:19 »
I actually know this seller and bought from him before. I've been trying to sell him on the idea of getting a Soarers cable but they are a little pricey. This seller doesn't have a full time job due to retirement so the proceeds from eBay supplement his income.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 21:58:00 »
I actually know this seller and bought from him before. I've been trying to sell him on the idea of getting a Soarers cable but they are a little pricey. This seller doesn't have a full time job due to retirement so the proceeds from eBay supplement his income.
Very cool. 

I think if you could explain it in a ROI kind of fashion, it would make a lot of sense.  For example, if this keyboard had been tested and cleaned up, he would have made back the money for the converter cable on the first sale, and then every other sale is just even more profit.  :thumb:

Offline JP

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 22:25:37 »
I mentioned that by getting a converter he could test and also use it to convert one of his keyboards for use as a daily driver. I did send him a proper key cap puller at least since I believe he was using something crude like a butter knife. This ended in damage to one keyboard which killed any profit. I did mention that he should clean this up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 22:28:22 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 17:16:53 »
This sold, BTW—so OP, you may want to mark your thread, as it's a very attractive deal. Not that most of us have a lot more useful things to do than look at expired auctions...  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Sold - Model F XT - $56 + shipping
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:45:13 »
I mentioned that by getting a converter he could test and also use it to convert one of his keyboards for use as a daily driver. I did send him a proper key cap puller at least since I believe he was using something crude like a butter knife. This ended in damage to one keyboard which killed any profit. I did mention that he should clean this up.
Awesome!  :thumb:  All we can do is try, the rest is up to them.  :cool: