Author Topic: [IC] GMK Heisei (ON HOLD)  (Read 39007 times)

Offline neralo

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (formerly Weeb Retro)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 09:27:29 »

Always GMK Weeb in my heart, also yuri icons are super unpleasant imo

Seconded in the icons.

Also GMK Weeb will never die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 14:48:14 »
MU HOO HOO
Nani the **** are you saying

Offline itsundone

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:35:21 »
made an account just to post this....

please make it happen or else we riot

Offline zekkin

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 06:26:17 »
I suppose I should take some time to talk about this set and what my tentative plans for it are.

I'm sure everyone has noticed, but basically everyone and their mother has designed a GMK keyset in the last couple months. There are a lot of big names with some really anticipated sets (Oblotzky's Space Cadet adaptation, for example) and I'm just not confident in Heisei's ability to hit MOQ if it were to run (against Forge, Necro, Hyperfuse Origins, Taro) at this time.

Now, this shouldn't change much because I always intended on getting this on track in the later half of 2018 -- however I think what I'll do pretty soon here is put out a new interest check form with a bit more solid information as well as including the proper title. Looking at my 9009 R2 base set, I'm pretty pleased with the kit so I think I'll work to get the Heisei base to somewhat match and then start communication with GMK to get realistic numbers on price.

Here's where this might get a bit controversial so I'll try to make this as clear as possible right off the bat; I will not be creating any specialty kits. That's right: no novelties, no hiragana only, no ortho/40%/DC. I'm determined to have this set run and in basically every group buy I've witnessed (outside of MD, and let's be honest, specialty kits struggle there too) the specialty kits almost never hit MOQ. Compound all that with GMK prices increasing to reflect the changing USD/EUR exchange rate, it makes justifying this set even more difficult.

I'm confident this set can and will happen, but I want to make sure it's run with the best timing possible, the best pricing possible, and with my full attention.

That's all I got for now. Feel free to ask questions/voice concerns and I'll answer/respond as best as I can.

P.S. I'm working on a nicer representation of the kit with Photoshop. Soon (TM). ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 09:00:12 »
I like the set and being this classic color it may get some attention, even under the fierce offering of GMK sets that is happening lately. However, a good planning and promotion campaign is mandatory to allow the set get the proper demand if you want to reach MoQ, out of MD.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 09:14:42 »
Very interested in the alphas only. Price should be about 50 EUR.

Too bad that this set wasn't suggested by ideus. We could have called it  gmk ideusgram
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 09:21:04 by Giorgio »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 11:35:57 »

Too bad that this set wasn't suggested by ideus. We could have called it  gmk ideusgram

$10 GMK split kit tax

no thank you
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline megaforce

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:08:52 »
Ortho and 40% are garbage anyways, don't need to include them

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline itsundone

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:00:34 »
I like the idea to keep it simple with base only kit... (spacebar kit is ok tho)

and Q3/4 2018 seems to be the ideal time to run this GB imho (but its up to you), since to market is too crowded now with GMK set...

anyway cant wait till this GB run, and keep the hype on fire......

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 04:55:16 »

$10 GMK split kit tax

no thank you

The hiragana set is sold for 56 eur on massdrop; the red is a custom color, so the beige could probably cost a little bit less.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:19:51 »

:o

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:33:00 »

$10 GMK split kit tax

no thank you

The hiragana set is sold for 56 eur on massdrop; the red is a custom color, so the beige could probably cost a little bit less.

I don’t really need more alphas with no mods to use em with. I’d rather have different mods of some sort, but no mods is just throwing money away since it means I have 1 set of unused alphas regardless.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:45:49 »

$10 GMK split kit tax

no thank you

I don’t really need more alphas with no mods to use em with. I’d rather have different mods of some sort, but no mods is just throwing money away since it means I have 1 set of unused alphas regardless.

That's why the Alphas should be beige.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 20:38:33 »
+1 Keep it simple, don‘t split sets.

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 23:57:28 »
Love the classic color sir :thumb:

Offline zekkin

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 13:05:56 »
Anyway, to those that are looking for more of a solid update, I'm working on a much nicer looking representation of the set and should be posting it tonight.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 15:47:55 »
Anyway, to those that are looking for more of a solid update, I'm working on a much nicer looking representation of the set and should be posting it tonight.

Good to hear, can't wait to see it :)

Offline zekkin

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:58:35 »
Alright, here we go.

Here's a 104 key/fullsize preview of GMK Heisei. I'm already working on updates to this and this thread will be the first place I post updates. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 February 2018, 19:11:31 by zekkin »

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 19:53:00 »
I know you said you wouldn't run other kits, but what do you think of the possibility of an accent kit? That seems pretty likely to hit MOQ.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:38:01 »
Today's update:

I'm not a Photoshop prodigy or anything so I'm placing and sizing mostly everything manually. I'm gonna push over the next few days to get it complete by the end of the weekend. After that adding/removing keys will be very easy.

I know you said you wouldn't run other kits, but what do you think of the possibility of an accent kit? That seems pretty likely to hit MOQ.

I'll be putting up a new IC form with the completed mock-up hopefully by the end of this weekend and I'll be sure to include it.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 05:15:23 »
Today's update:

Show Image

I'm not a Photoshop prodigy or anything so I'm placing and sizing mostly everything manually. I'm gonna push over the next few days to get it complete by the end of the weekend. After that adding/removing keys will be very easy.

I'll be putting up a new IC form with the completed mock-up hopefully by the end of this weekend and I'll be sure to include it.

Huh, maybe I'm just too used to my EnjoyPBT set, but do those legends look a tad too small to anyone else? You guys prefer them like that?

Offline zekkin

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 05:51:38 »
Today's update:

Show Image

Huh, maybe I'm just too used to my EnjoyPBT set, but do those legends look a tad too small to anyone else? You guys prefer them like that?

Show Image

It's a mockup...at this point everyone knows what GMK legends look like, I'm just making this so everyone has something to look at instead of a crap picture from KLE.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 February 2018, 06:39:54 by zekkin »

Offline zekkin

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:10:14 »
Today's update:

It's mostly done, I'd say about 90-95% complete. I'm going to make mock-up of the Sakura kit either tomorrow or Saturday. I've been thinking about the packaging as well.

If you're interested in getting more "realtime" updates I'm always in the mechkeys discord server asking for feedback and I'd love to hear yours.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:28:20 »
Today's update:

Show Image

It's mostly done, I'd say about 90-95% complete. I'm going to make mock-up of the Sakura kit either tomorrow or Saturday. I've been thinking about the packaging as well.

If you're interested in getting more "realtime" updates I'm always in the mechkeys discord server asking for feedback and I'd love to hear yours.

icon mod bottom row pls

yuri icons are tops
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (Update 3/3/2018: NEW IC FORM)
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 18:15:52 »
Main post updated! New interest check form! Give me your feedback!

Offline megaforce

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 21:03:32 »
mina daisuki arigato vive la zekkin
More
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 06:44:22 »
I didn't think I would have an existential crisis over an accent kit but here I am. On one hand Sakura is all nice and effeminate as well as pretty unique, on the other hand I like classic red accents a lot as well and I'm a massive Touhou nerd so the Momiji theming is brilliant as well. In the end I wound up voting for Momiji because I think the pink is likely to turn out too dull IRL and make the set look weak combined with the grey, as well as less likely to hit MOQ, whereas Momiji is a proven classy colourway in a very nice shade that is also much more likely to hit MoQ due to being a stock colour. The mockup colour really doesn't do the P3 shade justice.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 07:55:54 »
I didn't think I would have an existential crisis over an accent kit but here I am. On one hand Sakura is all nice and effeminate as well as pretty unique, on the other hand I like classic red accents a lot as well and I'm a massive Touhou nerd so the Momiji theming is brilliant as well. In the end I wound up voting for Momiji because I think the pink is likely to turn out too dull IRL and make the set look weak combined with the grey, as well as less likely to hit MOQ, whereas Momiji is a proven classy colourway in a very nice shade that is also much more likely to hit MoQ due to being a stock colour. The mockup colour really doesn't do the P3 shade justice.

I'm glad you like the red accents! Autumn is my favorite season and the Japanese maple in particular becomes breathtakingly vibrant (hence momiji). The Touhou connection is completely coincidental, however given the love of the season and imagery associated with it, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more coincidences like this :cool:.

---

Some updates:

• Added labels to some keys
  • Added missing to |\ keys
--

I'm really liking the feedback so far. Please keep it coming!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 13:59:28 »
If this comes after NGE, hopefully you can also use the iso keys with the symbols.

Offline idlemao

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 17:52:35 »
This. I can't put it in better words than this. The stronger contrast of the bold red against the gray gives it the slight edge for me, though if I could have both the Sakura and Red I would. Also Momiji!   ^-^

Offline zekkin

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 14:00:47 »
Hey I'd like to thank everyone that has filled out the interest check form so far! I think the turnout was pretty good with 62 responses as of this post. Here's some stats if numbers are your thing:

---

Does a set like this interest you?
YES - 88.7% (55/62)
NO - 11.3% (7/62)

Full set or alphas only?
FULL SET - 79% (49/62)
ALPHAS ONLY - 21% (13/62)

Accents in the base kit?
SAKURA - 38.7% (24/62)
MOMIJI - 32.2% (20/62)
NONE - 24.2% (15/62)
OTHER - 4.8% (3/62)

Notable suggestions:
  • Proxies (EU/Asia) - Will be addressed in the next update.
  • Separate accent kit - Honestly not sure about this. I'll think about it.
---

So, if the set were to run based off of these numbers, we'd be doing the full set with Sakura accents in the base kit. However, these numbers are not final, so please do not worry about anything. I'm going to be peddling this IC quite a bit in the coming weeks so please feel free to modify your responses to reflect any new suggestions/criticisms you've come up with.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I'll respond to/address them as best I can.

Offline idlemao

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:25:51 »
Sakura and Momiji are really close, but there's also a sizable amount who want none and other. I like the red because its such a classical color to associate with Japan and the Japanese text. That and it stands out much more contrast-wise with the gray than the sakura. But I guess without renders or samples its hard to say. I'm sticking with Momiji for now.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:40:30 »
Keep it simple, elegant and low cost and the orders will overwelm you.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 20:36:36 »
I vote for none of the accent. I don't want to "overdo" such simple set.

The only suggestion that crossed my mind is adding an icon R3 (HHKB) Control key. GMK don't have the mould for now but I believe they can provide it for free (just increasing the quote for 1 more key, not 1 more new mould).

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:02:31 »
If you do accents. Don’t put them in base. Adding a color upcharges the entire set. Is cheaper to keep em seperate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 06:58:17 »
whats dis

(yes I know the legends aren't perfect and this set doesn't have the 1.5 fn or the word shift, but i don't feel like rendering more keps right now, changing colors is easy, still working on it tho :P, I just was happy to finally have a full board worth of keps.)

Offline zekkin

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 07:16:48 »
whats dis

Show Image

(yes I know the legends aren't perfect and this set doesn't have the 1.5 fn or the word shift, but i don't feel like rendering more keps right now, changing colors is easy, still working on it tho :P, I just was happy to finally have a full board worth of keps.)

Dude...

Can I put this in the OP?

---

EDIT:

Amnesia approved, OP updated. We're getting closer, people...
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 07:32:28 by zekkin »

Offline RSC

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (Update 3/11/2018: RENDER TEASER)
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 09:42:53 »
Would probably be in with the momiji mods if you offer an EU proxy.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 09:52:46 »
Same :)

Offline RSC

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 10:30:44 »
@Zekkin, BTW have you considered having the red accent mods with legends the same grey/beige colour of the standard mods? Is it possible? I think if it is, it would look even nicer.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 11:12:58 »
I think I would prefer black legends on them, having all the lettering the same colour looks cleaner.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 07:44:10 »
Sakura all the wae!

Much prefer the Sakura accents over the dark red accents personally. Looks a lot cleaner and softer compared to the very harsh red

Offline Geek Maker

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:25:09 »

Always GMK Weeb in my heart, also yuri icons are super unpleasant imo

here ,the same with you.
Life-love for GMK,but not lamination as sub-legend ,that feels rather weird.
Anyway, the design is pretty well.

Offline speedyzy

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 15:29:22 »
any updates?

Offline zekkin

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 19:26:58 »
Sure, since it's exactly one month since the IC opened, it's update time:

Hopefully everyone's been fairing well with all the group buys running lately. I won't lie and say the not-so-sudden influx of GMK interest checks and group buys kinda scares me, but I'm confident in the low MOQ of standard colors. Now, some information to hold you over for a little while...

---

Where we are:

As of April 3, 2018, the interest check has 121 responses (THANK YOU ALL!). I will make final set decisions (i.e. what accent kit will run, etc) in accordance with the IC results soon.

What's next?:

I'll be reaching out to GMK in the coming days to get price quotes. Proxies will be figured out.

When will the group buy start?

This is a hard question to answer. Nowadays it doesn't seem like there's a particularly good time to run a set, you kind of just have to hope for the best. There are a few things ahead of me with Switchmod, so Heisei will remain in IC mode until after Red Riot and Yolch. If I could pick an ideal day to start the GB, I think it'd be June 1st (my birthday :D). That being said, please don't hold me to any hard dates. I want to make sure this is done right.

---

IC Results as of April 3, 2018

Total Submissions: 121

Does a set like this interest you?
YES - 89.3% (108/121)
MAYBE - 10.7% (13/121)

Full set or alphas only?
FULL SET - 72.7% (88/121)
ALPHAS ONLY - 27.3% (33/121)

Accents in the base kit?
SAKURA - 40.5% (49/121)
MOMIJI - 29.8% (36/121)
NONE - 24% (29/121)
OTHER - 5.7% (7/121)

---

I won't be closing the IC now but I think it's safe to assume that the results will not change much more. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Anyway, look out for more information in the coming days. In the meantime you can find and bug me on the mechkeys discord.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 12:58:19 »
Great news!
Definitely in for a few of these anytime.

Also Sakura <3<3

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (Smol Update 4/3/2018)
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 13:14:28 »
I have reached out to GMK for quotes and a render. I'll update when I hear back.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 13:53:13 »
Better get an alpha kit quote boi

Offline zekkin

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 13:58:02 »
Better get an alpha kit quote boi

There will be no alpha only kit.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 14:03:33 »
CLICK CLACK POW
More