Author Topic: NovelKeys x Kailh BOX Heavy Switches: Burnt Orange review  (Read 24885 times)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
NovelKeys x Kailh BOX Heavy Switches: Burnt Orange review
« on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 14:53:07 »
introduction

So hello guys i had a VA68M with the Silent black switches from the recent groupbuy when i received them i didn't like them because they had a lot of issues being scratchy  wrong weight etc. So i was searching for a new switch a good tactile switch. I remembered the Kailh Box switches and went for the Burnt oranges despised the deformed switch problem that was circulating the forums. And to be clear i bought these from KBDfans and didn't encounter any problems with the batch i got.

Content

Item information
Tactility
Smoothness
Quality
Modding
Sound
Price
End opinion

Item information

A NovelKeys x Kailh collaboration. This custom made switch features the same stems as the BOX Switch series, with a custom color and heavier spring bascily the heavier version of the Kailh box brown.

Tactility

The tactile bump is at the top rather then being in the middle. The tactility is pretty weak compared to other switches but its still noticeable i would say close to Gateron browns. It also reminds me of Topre and i don't dislike that :p. So for the people that want a tacitly like Zealios they should avoid buying these.

Smoothness

These boxes are smooth out of the box. They feel very smooth no scratchiness at all these switches don't need any lubing and  lubing would weaken the tactility. I personally have nothing negatives about these switches.

Quality

the quality is good and didn't encounter any problems with the batch i bought so i am talking about the batch i got. The switches are good and there was no problem with the switch housing and stems.

Modding

Modding the switches is easy as can be i can just dismantle them with my fingers :O. The only thing that you can mod about this switch is the spring.

Sound
The sound of the switch is amazing it's deep and not high pitched here is a video and they do sound almost exactly like in the video. Credits -> TheOctopusDude

Price

These switches are super cheap if you buy them from KBDfans. They cost 0.25 Euro cents each what is a super good value considering the quality and compared to the prices of other switches

End opinion

These switches are mostly for people who like a  heavy tactile switch without the super tactile feeling like Zealios. And they feel similar to Topre in a way. i would definitely recommend these switches for anyone that is wondering about buying these there is no regret you get a good quality product for the price. There is still a risk since some switches are supposed to have a twisted stem but i didn't have any of those switches in my batch so i guess it's a gamble.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 05:00:48 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: NovelKeys x Kailh BOX Heavy Switches: Burnt Orange review
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 01:38:11 »
I got to try these before I got an MX Red board and they definitely made the MX Reds feel like a letdown. (they're pre-retool reds btw) very good switches

I have a bunch of them but no keyboard to put them in lol.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 04:09:01 »
I got to try these before I got an MX Red board and they definitely made the MX Reds feel like a letdown. (they're pre-retool reds btw) very good switches

I have a bunch of them but no keyboard to put them in lol.

When i soldered them into my board and began to type on them i was amazed how much better they feel then Cherry MX switches or Gateron. My first to go switches are now Box switches i can't go back anymore.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline etatauri

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 12:16:22 »
The box switches definitely spoiled me. I'm using Pale Blues and I can ever see myself going back to MX Blues. I actually put in money for Navys on Massdrop and can't wait to try them out!

On the Burnt Oranges - how do they achieve the tactility? Do they operate on a similar way MX switches do or are they completely different?
Input Club K-Type / Vortex Pok3r / Magicforce 21 / Razor Blackwidow
MX Clear / MX Blue / IC Halo Clear / NK Box Pale Blue / NK Box Navy
SP DSA HC Dolch / SP Dye Sub DSA / SP SA Dasher / MD MT3 /dev/tty / KC Strong Spirit

Offline nimblejacks

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 09:31:53 »
How are these compared to Box Browns? I think I want more tactility and don't know what to try next.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 10:32:03 »
The box switches definitely spoiled me. I'm using Pale Blues and I can ever see myself going back to MX Blues. I actually put in money for Navys on Massdrop and can't wait to try them out!

On the Burnt Oranges - how do they achieve the tactility? Do they operate on a similar way MX switches do or are they completely different?

BOX switches achieve their tactility in a similar way to MX. They both have bumps on the slider that passes over a contact point on an actuation leaf. The big differences are BOX switches do not have legs on the sliders like MX switches do, the bump is right on the slider itself. Also they only have the bump on one side of the stem, so they only have one contact point from the slider to actuation leaf. Then the actuation leaf is turned sideways compared to MX's design. Here's a couple pics to show you what I mean.
MX (78g Zealio)
197779-0
BOX (Burnt Orange)
197781-1