Author Topic: [GB] GMK Forge  (Read 12832 times)

Offline RyuDragoon

[GB] GMK Forge
« on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 14:56:21 »
GMK FORGE!

After many months, lots of unfortunate events and short comings, GMK Forge is finally in GB. I want to thank everyone who has helped me along the way. Special shoutouts to the /r/MK discord and all the black and red lovers out there. Below you will find a link to all the locations this set is hosted at.

United States and Everywhere Else
Europe
China

Base Kit:

• 150 units – $165 $173
  • 250 units – $147 $153

Spacebar Kit:

• 100 units – $24
  • 150 units – $21
  • 250 units – $18
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 February 2018, 11:46:31 by RyuDragoon »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] GMK Forge
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 13:50:51 »
Approval bump :thumb:

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:28:14 »
Nice set! I'll check my wallet.  :p
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:33:25 »
A mixture of text only, text+icons and icon mods, I've never seen such a bad legend choice. And 150€ is also pretty expensive, nice profit margin.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:33:52 »
I'm tempted by dis. Looks good  :thumb:

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:38:09 »
A mixture of text only, text+icons and icon mods, I've never seen such a bad legend choice. And 150€ is also pretty expensive, nice profit margin.

Thanks for the great feedback. Where were you in the 10 months of IC phase?

I just realized that I uploaded the wrong images for the renders... My mistake.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:46:37 by RyuDragoon »

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:43:04 »
HOOOO BOI

Offline hansichen

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:52:23 »
Interestingly 3 different renders exist. The keyboard renders in the OP have icon+text mods, the kit render has a mixture of everything and the kit renders on the store pages have only icon mods. And there is an error with the VIM keys. In the base kit there is only a J vim-key without homing whereas you don't get a F key without homing. Therefore you would have two different homings if you want to use the VIM keys without buying the space bar kit. So either way I would include the/a homing key(s) to the base set instead of the one without homing or I would move the whole VIM-kit to the space bar kit

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:58:19 »
Interestingly 3 different renders exist. The keyboard renders in the OP have icon+text mods, the kit render has a mixture of everything and the kit renders on the store pages have only icon mods. And there is an error with the VIM keys. In the base kit there is only a J vim-key without homing whereas you don't get a F key without homing. Therefore you would have two different homings if you want to use the VIM keys without buying the space bar kit. So either way I would include the/a homing key(s) to the base set instead of the one without homing or I would move the whole VIM-kit to the space bar kit

I just fixed the OP. F and J come with bars and scoops for the black. Vim has Bar, Scoop and Regular key for J.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:00:00 by RyuDragoon »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:16:52 »

There was a mistake and one of the early mockups was used for the thread instead of the proper one and it's being fixed, though you definitely could have voiced your opinion in a more polite manner. As for the pricing, this is a large kit and contains three custom novelty designs, making the set by itself a pretty penny. Add 19% German VAT, per set shipping costs from GMK, PayPal fees, and per set shipping materials to that and it doesn't take long for the price to go up. Being rude just to try and call someone out because you think you know better than they do isn't impressing anyone. I can guarantee CandyKeys isn't gouging anyone at that price.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:41:33 »
the only thing I find kinda strange is the relative price drop points, I expected $165 to $147 to translate to more than a 5 Euro price drop
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:42:46 »

There was a mistake and one of the early mockups was used for the thread instead of the proper one and it's being fixed, though you definitely could have voiced your opinion in a more polite manner. As for the pricing, this is a large kit and contains three custom novelty designs, making the set by itself a pretty penny. Add 19% German VAT, per set shipping costs from GMK, PayPal fees, and per set shipping materials to that and it doesn't take long for the price to go up. Being rude just to try and call someone out because you think you know better than they do isn't impressing anyone. I can guarantee CandyKeys isn't gouging anyone at that price.

I think you read his post in a passive aggressive tone. There is nothing wrong with what he wrote. I know you want to defend OP because you yourself is involved with running the GB, but now you just comes off as the rude one. cool down your nipples.

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:53:27 »
the only thing I find kinda strange is the relative price drop points, I expected $165 to $147 to translate to more than a 5 Euro price drop

According to google, 165 US Dollar equals 132.50 Euro therefore, 147 US Dollar equals 118.04 Euro. Quickmafs gives me an almost 15 Euro price drop. Where are you getting 5 Euro price drop from?

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:55:00 »

According to google, 165 US Dollar equals 132.50 Euro therefore, 147 US Dollar equals 118.04 Euro. Quickmafs gives me an almost 15 Euro price drop. Where are you getting 5 Euro price drop from?

This is from candy keys;

Base kit:
– 150 units – 150,00€
– 250 units – 145,00€

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:57:12 »

:))

Pro-tip: don't be super aggressive to defend yourself. Not a nice attitude on an already bad public image.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:00:55 »
I want to mix this with GMK Blue on Black for a simple custom colorway. Count me in.

So if I order now (from CandyKeys) I will receive an invoice after 10th March? How many days will I have for paying the invoice after I receive it?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:07:40 »

This is from candy keys;

Base kit:
– 150 units – 150,00€
– 250 units – 145,00€

I didn't even think about checking the proxy pricing. Sorry for that. Its been a long day for me.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:17:32 »

I think you read his post in a passive aggressive tone. There is nothing wrong with what he wrote. I know you want to defend OP because you yourself is involved with running the GB, but now you just comes off as the rude one. cool down your nipples.

Maybe I read it that way because that's the way it was said. There's really not any other way to take "And 150€ is also pretty expensive, nice profit margin." in context other than as rude sarcasm, which I proceeded to defend against.

I want to mix this with GMK Blue on Black for a simple custom colorway. Count me in.

So if I order now (from CandyKeys) I will receive an invoice after 10th March? How many days will I have for paying the invoice after I receive it?

Afaik, CandyKeys is using immediate checkout as opposed to my pre-order system.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:45:29 »

Ooooh I see. The wording on the drop page confused me a little:

Please note that this group buy will run from 2/9 to 3/10, payment submission date is within 2 weeks of the end date, and has an estimated shipping date of 12-14 weeks after payment submission.

I guess that stands for when the buyers money is forwarded to GMK, right?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 18:17:38 »

Ooooh I see. The wording on the drop page confused me a little:

Please note that this group buy will run from 2/9 to 3/10, payment submission date is within 2 weeks of the end date, and has an estimated shipping date of 12-14 weeks after payment submission.

I guess that stands for when the buyers money is forwarded to GMK, right?

Yes, that's what that means.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 19:22:49 »
You don't offer a 6u center-stem with the base kit, okay - I get it... but then you create an add-on spacebar kit with compatibility options for everything except you decided not to include it in that kit either. That makes it unusable for any of my boards and AFAIK there are no other GMK sets in either black or P3 that have this spacebar so I can't even pull it from another kit. The GMK Ceresia kit from oco is also off-center stem AFAIK. I wish more community feedback was considered as part of this kit design. Guess I'm just one of those random commenters now who's pet compatibility isn't supported. Its not like I have an ergodox or some exotic keyboard. The HHKB and Realforce are some of the most popular keyboards in the community.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 19:32:11 »
6 1u R4 novelties? these are unusable for most of us. I'll pass for now

Offline bkw1209

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:22:46 »
6 1u R4 novelties... hum..

Could you fix it?

1.25..novelties much better.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:51:24 »
I would rather have no novelties and instead have proper layout support if cost was the concern. That said, I actually like the 1u novelties now because it fits the left WinKey, right WinKey, and right MenuKey on the Realforce 87u and both Winkeys on Tsangan layout, but it is super weird that you would support Tsangan but not standard layout novelties.

This set seems to be bucking the trend and ignoring a lot of the lessons that were already learned from other recent GMK groupbuys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:54:29 by Wetherbee »

Offline BJW

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 23:49:35 »
I would rather have no novelties and instead have proper layout support if cost was the concern. That said, I actually like the 1u novelties now because it fits the left WinKey, right WinKey, and right MenuKey on the Realforce 87u and both Winkeys on Tsangan layout, but it is super weird that you would support Tsangan but not standard layout novelties.

This set seems to be bucking the trend and ignoring a lot of the lessons that were already learned from other recent GMK groupbuys.

This set doesn't seem to be that interesting. GMK Demonic already exists (and you can buy it now if you wanted), GMK Ceresia already uses P3 for inverse colors, the novelty keys in this set are only 1.25u so they are useless for Tsangan bottom rows, and the group buy runner seems to be extra shady based on their history with the community and attempts to hide their identity.

Above message is what you said at the interest check lol.
Really are you anti fan of this kit? Please stop ***kin trolling!
If there was change size of novelties than I would be gladly join this GB

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 00:02:32 »
BJW,

Nobody is trolling. I'm actually a huge fan of this colorway, as I've said before. Sometimes you will notice that the biggest fans of something are also the biggest critics - precisely because they see the potential of what this set COULD BE, but it just barely missed the mark. In my case, it is missing one key which makes it go from "hmm.. maybe i'll buy a few of these" to "hmm I can't even use this."

GMK Ceresia uses white legends and it is beautiful, but if you want a darker theme, Forged is one of your only options along with Demonic. However, GMK Demonic uses a different red that doesn't, IMHO, look as good as P3.

For me, I was very happy to see the support of 1u novelties for Tsangan support. However, why would anyone then decide to remove the 1.25u novelties? Tsangan is less popular than standard layout, so now you are supporting Tsangan at the expense of supporting standard which, as folks above point out, makes no sense. You should always start with standard layout support and then add support for other layouts from there. Novelties, if you are going to commit to the expense of doing them, should be available in R4 1.25u and R1 1u at a minimum, and then you should probably do R4 1u and R4 1.5u. After that, you can start getting really creative (Enter key?) depending the price-point you are looking at.

These small issues matter and add-up to mean fewer buyers, which ruins the groupbuy for everyone if you can't hit MOQ. The most frustrating part is that all of these issues were pointed out in the IC and seemingly ignored. Why would you do an IC and then ignore the community feedback? Someone took the time to make a suggestion that could make your set better. If you are not going to accept that suggestion, at least justify your reasoning. Maybe the designer has a good reason for not including 1.25u novelties or a 6u center-stem. It would be nice to understand the thought process.

Ultimately the designer gets to do what he or she wants, but the market decides if the kit is successful or not - such is the nature of group buys.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 February 2018, 00:26:01 by Wetherbee »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 01:24:57 »
At this time we are contacting GMK to see about fixing some of the novelty sizes, replacing the R4 ISO key that somehow disappeared in one of our revision, and see about that spacebar. Be aware that this may increase the price of the set slightly, but we're hoping to absorb the extra.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 02:52:16 »
At this time we are contacting GMK to see about fixing some of the novelty sizes, replacing the R4 ISO key that somehow disappeared in one of our revision, and see about that spacebar. Be aware that this may increase the price of the set slightly, but we're hoping to absorb the extra.

Wow that is awesome news. Unexpectedly accommodating! My fingers are totally crossed! Thanks donutcat for listening to cranky fans! It is an often thankless task to run a groupbuy, and I know that it is hard because this one depends so much on price point. :thumb:

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:53:13 »
 Just to keep everyone in the loop, I am working with GMK to get the black Novelties moved to 1.25u and keeping the red Novelties in 1u. I should have done this to start with but I am not the brightest bulb in the box. I am also seeing how much it will cost to add a 6u centered space in black as well. I think this will put us in a good position for everyone. I will discuss with DonutCat how much of a price change will happen and depending on the significance, I might just cover the small added costs myself.

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:55:56 »
that sounds like a great idea!  :thumb:

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:08:55 »

I got R4 ISO back. 1.25u Black Novelties and 6u Centered Stem. Does this render look okay?

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:15:38 »
Show Image

I got R4 ISO back. 1.25u Black Novelties and 6u Centered Stem. Does this render look okay?

it looks good, except that render looks more orange then ever  :))

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:22:07 »
Show Image

it looks good, except that render looks more orange then ever  :))

For some reason the colors used for the GMK mockups got lost in communication a long time ago, so I've been manually adjusting the mockups based off GMK's RGB values when I get a chance. The correct color code is still listed on the mockups, so it's not that big of a issue.

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:37:30 »
Yup. I hate the GMK coloring on renders. I see it's missing r3 ISO. I will have them add that and get the GB updated.

Offline avid

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:23:21 »
I asked this before, but no response.
Why is there 8 blank keys?
What is all the blanks even supposed to be used for?
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:27:52 by avid »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:34:10 »
I asked this before, but no response.
Why is there 8 blank keys?
What is all the blanks even supposed to be used for?

Wondering the same. Maybe support for macro keys and such that are placed on the side of a regular layout?
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:59:08 »
Blanks are mainly for ortho layouts that need a large number of non-standardized 1u modifiers, but could easily be used for any other layouts that need profiled 1u keys. I know there's been a couple layouts that have appeared with macro columns to the left of the board that could benefit from these as well.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 18:45:19 »
Anyway to get a regularly updated count going for the current number of orders placed?
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 20:57:50 »

Looking forward to this set. Great updates!  :thumb:

Offline BJW

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 21:36:18 »
Now I join this GB

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 11:50:49 »
Good news and bad news for everyone.

Bad news first. We have increased the prices slightly to accommodate the changes requested. We have moved from $165 to $173 for 150 MOQ and from $147 to $153 for 250 MOQ.

The Good news is we have gotten the kits changed to accommodate everyone. ISO support has been fixed with the R3 "~#" Key and the R4 "|\" key. A 6u centered space in black has been added to the main kit and the Black novelties have been changed to 1.25u to support proper layouts. I apologize to everyone for the frustrations that has transpired and I hope this manages to sway people into the GB.

The OP has been modified to reflect these changes.

Offline mindcomputing

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 13:54:15 »
ordered yesterday in in EU over candykeys

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 15:33:25 »
Any plans to promote gmk forge on /r/mechanicalkeyboards or /r/mechmarket?
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 06:19:15 »
the Sith Lord set  ;D ;D
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:08:36 »
Joined via CandyKeys. Base kit and space bars kit.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 23:58:56 »
Looking for a little feedback. I'll be offering tray-less shipping for an upcoming GMK GB and I was wondering if there was interest in offering trayless shipping for Forge as well. It'd knock about 19.3oz off the shipping weight, over 1lb, which could be substantial for international orders and allow cheaper First Class shipping for CONUS.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 00:39:52 »
If it helps this set reach MOQ I'm all for it. Whether it's mandatory for all orders or just a cheaper option. As long as I can pair it with a bunch of bloody artisans on this keyboard some day:

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 06:58:01 by fatpolomanjr »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 00:52:32 »
Given the current status of the GB and the infeasibility of hitting MOQ with the time we have left on the buy, we have made the decision to end it now. For anyone that ordered from CandyKeys or zFrontier, you should see a refund shortly. For anyone that ordered through DonutCables, you don't have to do anything.