Author Topic: Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Classic

Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP
« on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 16:15:25 »
Hello.

Has anyone tried the JP version of the HHKP? Like the looks of the layout vs the US version.

I live in the US and curious about combability as well. Even where to purchase this particular model.

Thank you for your time.

Classic

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 16:31:54 »
Hello.

Has anyone tried the JP version of the HHKP? Like the looks of the layout vs the US version.

I live in the US and curious about combability as well. Even where to purchase this particular model.

Thank you for your time.

Classic

i know it's fairly popular among some groups

it will work on american PCs, i used one for a bit but layout was a bit too cramped for me

can buy em from smartimports: http://www.smartimports.net/happy-hacking-keyboard-professional-jp-japanese-layout/
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:24:26 »
These are good little keyboards - I've owned both the JP version and the ANSI, both were Type-S. The JP version was good to go, just plug it in and start typing, basically. I think I told my Mac to treat it as if it were an ANSI KB. At first it would be good to familiarize yourself with what keys work and what keys don't do anything. As you can see, there's lots of extra keys in the JP version, and some of them won't do anything when pressed. Overall I really like this cute KB, especially the dedicated arrow keys and the Type-S Topre switches mounted on the PCB - just super!  However for me the non-standard layout eventually turned me off and I sold it. If you've got the $$ I say give it a try!

189617-0

Offline monkt

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:35:20 »
These are good little keyboards - I've owned both the JP version and the ANSI, both were Type-S. The JP version was good to go, just plug it in and start typing, basically. I think I told my Mac to treat it as if it were an ANSI KB. At first it would be good to familiarize yourself with what keys work and what keys don't do anything. As you can see, there's lots of extra keys in the JP version, and some of them won't do anything when pressed. Overall I really like this cute KB, especially the dedicated arrow keys and the Type-S Topre switches mounted on the PCB - just super!  However for me the non-standard layout eventually turned me off and I sold it. If you've got the $$ I say give it a try!

(Attachment Link)

In what ways is this version's layout most objectionable to you relative to the layout of the standard HHKB? I haven't used either one yet, but I'm considering the HHKB, so I'd like to understand better in what ways they are functionally most different apart from the arrow keys, bigger enter key, and busier bottom row w. smaller space-bar (those differences I can see right away, at least).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 03:23:22 »
The bottom row of letters is non-standard stagger - to fit the arrows they are all shifted 1/4 space to the left.  Also the main draw of the HHKB is the layout which includes ANSI /| being backspace and the big enter prevents this.  Instead you have a tiny backspace further away from the letters which makes it worse ergonomically than a standard board.  Finally right shift is on the edge of the board so if you use that while typing that's not very convenient.  Could be swapped with \| using a Hasu controller but will still be small...

Never tried to use one but those are what I see, I may have missed some.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 03:24:57 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 09:27:53 »

(Attachment Link)

In what ways is this version's layout most objectionable to you relative to the layout of the standard HHKB? I haven't used either one yet, but I'm considering the HHKB, so I'd like to understand better in what ways they are functionally most different apart from the arrow keys, bigger enter key, and busier bottom row w. smaller space-bar (those differences I can see right away, at least).

Ha, let me state that both versions have layout issues for me, just in different ways. For me, the JP version offers up the challenge of the backspace/delete key being further away, along with the ISO Enter key placement vs. ANSI Enter. Also, strangly, the delete key would act like a backspace key in some programs but not others, no matter how I configured the dip switches.  Since I like to use different keyboards throughout the week or even day, going back and forth between the HHKB and standard layouts was just too annoying to me.