Author Topic: Opinion about IBM model F wanted  (Read 1664 times)

Offline sebna

Opinion about IBM model F wanted
« on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 09:06:18 »
Hi All,

I am looking for advice on IBM Model F.

I currently own Hyper-X FPS Cheery Red board which I use for gaming and I like for this purpose and I also use Topre RealForce uni 45g (87u) which I absolutely love for typing.

So my question if I love my Topre for typing does it makes sense to get model F also for typing? There is this new production going on and those can be had for 399 USD or close to it so not the cheapest around but money side is not really an issue but at the same time I will never sell it so I would prefer to like it rather then not :D so I am gauging what kind of differences I can expect and if other Topre lovers find Model F to be complementary and something they can use / like / love in addition to their Topre typing sex (sorry could not help myself ;) ) ?

Never tried other Cherry switches then Red so will not be able to understand comparison to any of them other then Red and Topre Uni 45g?

I like my Topre so much that I have "one more word" syndrome when I type on it...

How different are those? Is IBM F also a great general use / typist / work type of keyboard? Does it require more force then 45g? Anything that will allow me understand, subjective views from users of both or those who tried both are most welcome.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 09:09:01 by sebna »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Opinion about IBM model F wanted
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 09:24:45 »
No one can know what someone else will like.

If you enjoy svelte modern plastic keyboards, a Model F will seem like a steampunk behemoth in comparison.

You will never know until you try.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sebna

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 10:20:34 »
My Topre and Model F weigh about the same so there will not be much surprise there, anyway the weight plays only a minor role to me.

I of course agree with you, but kindly take a note I am asking about opinions about Model F preferably in compare to Topre and not for guidance on what I will like as obviously only I can know that.

I would love to hear more from you if you have experience with both or Model F on its own or in general if you like to just write something nice haha :), looking forward to it :)

Good luck !
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 10:22:31 by sebna »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 11:08:20 »

My Topre and Model F weigh about the same

I think that even the smallest Model F will weigh triple what an RF87U weighs, in addition to being more bulky overall and taller specifically.

My opinion is that the experience of using it will be completely different.

The buckling spring design in general is wildly responsive and will provide far more feedback to your fingers and ears than any rubber-dome or individual-switch design.

PS - in the patent description the switch is activated by the "catastrophic" buckling of the spring - ha ha
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sebna

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 11:20:45 »

My Topre and Model F weigh about the same

I think that even the smallest Model F will weigh triple what an RF87U weighs, in addition to being more bulky overall and taller specifically.

My opinion is that the experience of using it will be completely different.

The buckling spring design in general is wildly responsive and will provide far more feedback to your fingers and ears than any rubber-dome or individual-switch design.

PS - in the patent description the switch is activated by the "catastrophic" buckling of the spring - ha ha

I stand corrected :) In version (https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard-ultra-compact/) I was thinking about ordering the Model F is twice as heavy as my Topre and in classic TKL variant (https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/) over 4 times the weight of my Topre... wow that would be about 4-5kg of a keyboard? WTH!

Thank you for the comments about the differences in feel of the technology. It actually got me interested. So maybe it could be universal solution for both typing and gaming for my home usage.

I guess IBM requires significantly more force to activate the key?

Cheers

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 11:49:32 »
The Model M has a reputation for requiring a pretty heavy keystroke but the F is actually quite a bit lighter.   Still heavier than 45g Topre but with a very different key feel.  IBM switches don't really have a 'bump' in the traditional sense.  They're basically linear until the actuation point where you have a sudden and extremely sharp drop in the force curve.  It is a completely different feel from Topre so it's hard to say if you would like it if you've never tried it.

I'm not sure any buckling spring keyboard is ideal for gaming because they have significant hysteresis.  That said plenty of people seem like like gaming on MX blue switches--which were specifically designed to add hysteresis--so it's questionable how much that really matters.

Offline sebna

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 12:01:25 »
The Model M has a reputation for requiring a pretty heavy keystroke but the F is actually quite a bit lighter.   Still heavier than 45g Topre but with a very different key feel.  IBM switches don't really have a 'bump' in the traditional sense.  They're basically linear until the actuation point where you have a sudden and extremely sharp drop in the force curve.  It is a completely different feel from Topre so it's hard to say if you would like it if you've never tried it.

I'm not sure any buckling spring keyboard is ideal for gaming because they have significant hysteresis.  That said plenty of people seem like like gaming on MX blue switches--which were specifically designed to add hysteresis--so it's questionable how much that really matters.

Thank you Kevadu. That is very good info. I am starting to understand what type of feel I can expect. I adjust with my typing but in general I tend to mash and bottom out keys. After few months of using Topre I have started to naturally adjust and probably on 30% of hits I no longer bottom out witch brings even more satisfaction with Topre keyboard as in addition to pillow yet decisive like down stroke operation a sensation of floating when not bottoming out without punishment (of bottoming out) is an added bonus.

Maybe IBM's sensation will be also pleasing but in a different way? In comparison Cheery Reds do not bring any positive sensations. Those are just efficient at what I ask them to do and better then cheap membrane. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 12:04:58 by sebna »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 12:14:33 »
No one can know what someone else will like.

If you enjoy svelte modern plastic keyboards, a Model F will seem like a steampunk behemoth in comparison.

You will never know until you try.
"Steampunk behemoth", that's a fantastic description, holding on to that xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews: