Author Topic: Would you recognise yourself?  (Read 3323 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Would you recognise yourself?
« on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 22:39:19 »
Someone irl mentioned recently that you only ever see photographs of yourself, or videos, or a reflection in a mirror, not actually yourself.

So say a little bit in the future you travelled back in time and saw yourself walking around in the streets, just as you would today.

Would you recognise yourself?

Perhaps you would remember being on a particular street on a certain day wearing certain clothes, so your future self would probably be able to locate your current self without too much trouble.

But your current self would not know that your future self was wandering around in this time, wouldn't know what you were (going to) wear, nor where you would be.

Assuming that you hadn't changed beyond recognition, would you recognise your future self? 
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Would you recognise yourself?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 22:44:46 »

A while back..

I was @ the Costco food court.

There was a Lone old asian man at a table with 3 boxes of Shin Ramen in his shopping cart and nothing else.

He was eating a pulled pork sandwich and had a pending slice of pizza.

I used to think.. that's you in 40 years Tp4...

Now I know,  must go veggie to avoid such a fate.. !!!

Tp4 has since february of last year quit his Ramen and Fried Chicken Addictions..

Plans for world domination .. /in progress !!

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 22:59:23 »
Topic: What do you think about X/How do I Y/Where do I Z?
TP4: Let me tell you about what I do and don't eat.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 23:00:43 »
A couple years ago, a friend sent me a picture from a Facebook group asking if it was a picture of me. I actually had to study the picture for a few seconds and think of whether I had been to the place in the picture. It was a three-quarters view, and the guy was looking down slightly, so I couldn't quite see his face. He had similar hair color, body type, and clothing/shoes to mine.

I'm not sure if I'd recognize myself since I would not expect to see a time traveler, myself or not, but I'd probably find out fast since I'd only go back in time to punch myself in the face.

I often wonder if I could carry on a conversation with myself or if it would be just as awkward to talk to myself as to anyone else.

Interesting question though.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 07:42:29 »
Topic: What do you think about X/How do I Y/Where do I Z?
TP4: Let me tell you about what I do and don't eat.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 21:52:34 »
A couple years ago, a friend sent me a picture from a Facebook group asking if it was a picture of me. I actually had to study the picture for a few seconds and think of whether I had been to the place in the picture. It was a three-quarters view, and the guy was looking down slightly, so I couldn't quite see his face. He had similar hair color, body type, and clothing/shoes to mine.

I'm not sure if I'd recognize myself since I would not expect to see a time traveler, myself or not, but I'd probably find out fast since I'd only go back in time to punch myself in the face.

I often wonder if I could carry on a conversation with myself or if it would be just as awkward to talk to myself as to anyone else.

If I met myself I'd probably take days interrogating myself to ensure that I really was me.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 22:36:53 »

If I met myself I'd probably take days interrogating myself to ensure that I really was me.

I'm not sure, but I wonder if I could stand being around myself or would the anxiety be through the roof.... hmmm...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 22:59:41 »

I'm not sure, but I wonder if I could stand being around myself or would the anxiety be through the roof.... hmmm...

I could, but I'd want to know from my future self what they had told people about me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 04:37:09 »

I could, but I'd want to know from my future self what they had told people about me.

Why would the future rowdy ruin stuff for -himself- ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 04:38:40 »

That's an easy one for Tp4, 

Only a Tp4 can understand Another Tp4's operational protocols..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 12:22:20 »
It's not uncommon for me to dream (while sleeping) through the lens of a helicopter and or drone camera lens. I could probably recognise myself. :shrugs:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 21:51:25 »

Actually I'm kinda hoping he will come back with the winning lottery numbers for me.

Benefits both of us then.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 22:32:39 »

Actually I'm kinda hoping he will come back with the winning lottery numbers for me.

Benefits both of us then.

No, if we go by futurama rules, it wouldn't work..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 17:28:53 »
Current me would mindlessly walk past future me just as he does his friends and family, unless future me did something really blatant to grab his attention :-[
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 21:58:25 »
Current me would mindlessly walk past future me just as he does his friends and family, unless future me did something really blatant to grab his attention :-[

Current me would probably do the same (to future me).  Or vice versa.

Although future me would probably be looking for current me, and might even remember where current me is.

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 17:43:44 »
I think so. I tend to get pretty unsettled anytime I see someone who even vaguely looks like me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 17:48:35 »
I think so. I tend to get pretty unsettled anytime I see someone who even vaguely looks like me.

Tp4 wishes he were good looking enuff to have this problem.. !!

Offline JP

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:41:29 »
This thread reminds me of this song:

Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 05:36:44 »
Apparently I have a fairly distinct appearance, so I'm pretty sure I'd recognise myself, yes.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 19:55:47 »
Every day while driving in traffic I like to fantasize about every other driver being one of my clones and how much smoother the flow of traffic would be and the enormity of time saved during my [our] commute. I [we] could accurately and faithfully predict what the other drivers will do.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]