Author Topic: How would you go about creating this dream keyboard  (Read 2321 times)

Offline rhizo

How would you go about creating this dream keyboard
« on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 15:39:27 »
Hey, I haven't been on here for a while, but I've got a question that I can't seem to answer by myself.

So what I'm looking for is basically this exact layout:

With this spacebar design in the place of the above:

It would also need to be programmable, as the left space key would end up being a sort of hold to switch layer key (or just a normal switch layer key), so you could do left space + j for a different key for example. There are a ton of DIY kits and stuff out there, but I was wondering if this is possible to even get close to without too much effort. Even that first layout I showed would be good enough to be honest, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm from the UK, if that makes sourcing any more difficult.

Thanks,

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: How would you go about creating this dream keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 15:41:40 »
I'm not entirely sure, for I don't own the board but I believe the DZ60 should cover your layout.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 15:46:09 »
Unless you want to drill and file the slots for the switch and stabilizer.

The only other way is to get a custom cut plate.

you don't need a custom pcb,  you can just drill holes  in an existing pcb and wire it up manually.

Again, manual drilllng/filing is an option if you're confident in your own dexterity.

Offline rhizo

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 15:56:02 »
I'm not entirely sure, for I don't own the board but I believe the DZ60 should cover your layout.

Ah that gets pretty much as close as I've seen.

you don't need a custom pcb,  you can just drill holes  in an existing pcb and wire it up manually.

Again, manual drilllng/filing is an option if you're confident in your own dexterity.

Not sure if I'm up for that, seems a bit beyond me. Even soldering the switches I'm not too sure about. I'm assuming you'd recommend against using something like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DZ60-Custom-mechanical-keyboard-PCB-60-keyboard-support-arrow-key/32824638057.html , they seem to have an assembly service too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 17:08:05 »

Ah that gets pretty much as close as I've seen.

Not sure if I'm up for that, seems a bit beyond me. Even soldering the switches I'm not too sure about. I'm assuming you'd recommend against using something like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DZ60-Custom-mechanical-keyboard-PCB-60-keyboard-support-arrow-key/32824638057.html , they seem to have an assembly service too.

You can buy those boards..

But doing THAT many switches is a PITA if you're not really -into it- hahahaha..

It's a valid option..

Watch some soldering videos,  it's not hard,

Offline rhizo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 17:39:57 »

You can buy those boards..

But doing THAT many switches is a PITA if you're not really -into it- hahahaha..

It's a valid option..

Watch some soldering videos,  it's not hard,

Yeah, I can actually solder reasonably well but I can't be bothered really. I'm thinking about perhaps this board and just dealing with the ansi layout. Not really the best but it fills all my other criteria.

http://groupbuys.mechboards.co.uk/shop/z62-kit-group-buy/