Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 158213 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #500 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 16:42:26 »
Hey boss, are we expecting a matt GB soon? Massdrop?

The mats will be sold on Massdrop and this will be time limited (drop duration) offer. When it will drop? I don't know honestly. I need to see the mats in person to give an approval. I think after that the drop for this may happen any time.

Offline Idragonist

« Reply #501 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 16:56:39 »
Definitely some extra kits

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline EnragedTanker

« Reply #502 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 07:09:34 »
oh man let's hope i can afford this
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 August 2018, 07:20:27 by EnragedTanker »

Offline avid

« Reply #503 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 15:20:19 »
Please no R5. It´s really bad and only a few people appreciate it. Or could you at least offer one of the sets without it?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #504 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 16:02:24 »
Please no R5. It´s really bad and only a few people appreciate it. Or could you at least offer one of the sets without it?

Few is not correct. There are many people who are excited about it. And overall there are far less people who care about which bottom row it is.

Otherwise R0 and R5 are the feature of GMK Carbon R2 and i will keep it. Personally i don't see any chance for row 4 kit because as i said there are not many people who care about bottom row profile.
I suggest to use a wristrest with row 5, which should be used anyway if health is a matter. With a wristrest you will not get in touch with the bottom row regardless if its row 4 or row 5.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #505 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 16:45:19 »

Few is not correct. There are many people who are excited about it. And overall there are far less people who care about which bottom row it is.

Otherwise R0 and R5 are the feature of GMK Carbon R2 and i will keep it. Personally i don't see any chance for row 4 kit because as i said there are not many people who care about bottom row profile.
I suggest to use a wristrest with row 5, which should be used anyway if health is a matter. With a wristrest you will not get in touch with the bottom row regardless if its row 4 or row 5.

I for one welcome R0/R5, as there is the previous round of GMK Carbon with the more common row profile setup already.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #506 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 17:08:35 »
Soooooo... as someone who likes to buy and doesn't like reading, what's the current situation with GMK Carbon R2?

Very soon, soon or soontm

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #507 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 20:36:07 »

go buy Carbon R1 on mechmarket then. R5 is here to stay  ;D

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #508 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 02:57:40 »
Soooooo... as someone who likes to buy and doesn't like reading, what's the current situation with GMK Carbon R2?

Very soon, soon or soontm?

November/December more probably.

Offline darthzero

« Reply #509 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 04:24:46 »

Nice, thanks for saving my wallet :)
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #510 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 07:10:29 »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #511 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 12:54:51 »
Update:

Round 1 Upgrade kit
- Fixed row labels.
Show Image

Are the colors in GMK R2 identical to GMK R1?  I'm guessing they are.  If not, I worry this Update kit wouldn't be very useful...

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #512 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 13:20:35 »
Btw, afaik you’ll also need a numpad enter for the R1 upgrade kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #513 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 13:28:20 »
Are the colors in GMK R2 identical to GMK R1?  I'm guessing they are.  If not, I worry this Update kit wouldn't be very useful...

Why would anyone take the time out of their day to make a kit like that if the colours weren't the same both rounds?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #514 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 14:31:38 »
Update:

Round 1 Upgrade kit
- Fixed row labels.
Show Image

No color has been changed. However you should consider that the alphas from round 1 might yellowed over time little bit. For example i could see clear difference between SP SA Carbon R1 and R2. But the new caps can be exposed to the sun in order to get the yellowing so its not an issue.

That's right. If you check first page you will notice the Round 1 upgrade kit has an (R4/R5) numpad enter included. You probably looked at the outdated version of the upgrade kit which dvorcol posted before.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #515 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 17:37:58 »
Update:

Round 1 Upgrade kit
- Fixed row labels.
Show Image

No color has been changed. However you should consider that the alphas from round 1 might yellowed over time little bit. For example i could see clear difference between SP SA Carbon R1 and R2. But the new caps can be exposed to the sun in order to get the yellowing so its not an issue.

That's right. If you check first page you will notice the Round 1 upgrade kit has an (R4/R5) numpad enter included. You probably looked at the outdated version of the upgrade kit which dvorcol posted before.

Yes I did (A) :P

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #516 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 01:37:40 »
Edit, because punctuation tricked me in reading t0mb3ry's last comment. I appreciate R5 is all I can say.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 September 2018, 01:40:51 by LightningXI »

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #517 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 06:27:04 »
I'm wondering what alphas I'll choose to match the Ergodox set. What are the grey and orange color code ? N9 and V2 ?

Offline Marutks

« Reply #518 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 06:53:13 »
Why so many people want R5?  It makes bottom row keys to have negative angle!  Not comfy at all IMHO

dev/tty keycaps have both angled and flat bottom row keys.  Flat keys are more comfy because they have positive angle,  like a flipped spacebar.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #519 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 10:40:47 »
I'm wondering what alphas I'll choose to match the Ergodox set. What are the grey and orange color code ? N9 and V2 ?

N9 and V2 are standard GMK colors. GMK Carbon has non standard but custom colors.

Why so many people want R5?  It makes bottom row keys to have negative angle!  Not comfy at all IMHO

dev/tty keycaps have both angled and flat bottom row keys.  Flat keys are more comfy because they have positive angle,  like a flipped spacebar.

I made a vote previously and you can still vote: VOTE HERE

Comfy or not is subjective. I for example don't flip the spacebar. Try to use wrist rest it will make you any bottom row comfortable without the need to flip the spacebar.

GMK is not comparable with dev/tty (actually MT3 profile). Different manufacturers - different conditions. I cant also include the row 4 in the base kit because current base kits already will definitely cost more than 150$ at 250 MOQ.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 September 2018, 14:32:29 by T0mb3ry »

Offline regionfree

« Reply #520 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 19:07:04 »
GMK is not comparable with dev/tty (actually MT3 profile). Different manufacturers - different conditions. I cant also include the row 4 in the base kit because current base kits already will definitely cost more than 150$ at 250 MOQ.

is there an ETA on when the GB/drop will commence? Really looking forward to this.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #521 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 19:16:36 »
is there an ETA on when the GB/drop will commence? Really looking forward to this.

Like 6 posts up

pls read thread

Offline regionfree

« Reply #522 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 21:27:22 »

Like 6 posts up

pls read thread

sorry couldn't weed through all 11 pages to find the ETA. would be great to have it in the opening post.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #523 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 22:36:03 »
Comfy or not is subjective. I for example don't flip the spacebar. Try to use wrist rest it will make you any bottom row comfortable without the need to flip the spacebar.
You keep mentioning using a wrist rest but many ergonomics experts would recommend that you don't actually touch them while typing. In this case they would have zero effect on the key strike angle. Yes, there are situations where you would use them while typing but this is VERY situational. You really shouldn't use a wrist rest as a rationale for any particular bottom row profile. I'm not advocating against row 5, I just find it concerning that you've mentioned wrist rests several times now.

"Your hands should move freely and be elevated above the wrist/palm rest while typing. When resting, the pad should contact the heel or palm of your hand, not your wrist." - https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components_wrist_rests.html

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #524 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 00:10:09 »
You keep mentioning using a wrist rest but many ergonomics experts would recommend that you don't actually touch them while typing. In this case they would have zero effect on the key strike angle. Yes, there are situations where you would use them while typing but this is VERY situational. You really shouldn't use a wrist rest as a rationale for any particular bottom row profile. I'm not advocating against row 5, I just find it concerning that you've mentioned wrist rests several times now.

"Your hands should move freely and be elevated above the wrist/palm rest while typing. When resting, the pad should contact the heel or palm of your hand, not your wrist." - https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components_wrist_rests.html

I am just suggesting wrist rest to people who are worried about touching bottom row, because it elevates your hands above the keyboard. Ofc. if you type with elevated hands then you dont need wrist rest at all and you dont have any issue with bottom row.

Otherwise this belongs into another topic for wrist rests or type ergonomics.

There is still a poll open and you can vote for or against vintage rows (R0 and R5): VOTE HERE

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #525 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 13:01:02 »
I am just suggesting wrist rest to people who are worried about touching bottom row, because it elevates your hands above the keyboard. Ofc. if you type with elevated hands then you dont need wrist rest at all and you dont have any issue with bottom row.

Otherwise this belongs into another topic for wrist rests or type ergonomics.

There is still a poll open and you can vote for or against vintage rows (R0 and R5): VOTE HERE
I voted back when it was originally posted though what I'd really like is the vintage rows included with the base kit and a round 2 "downgrade" set to match the round 1 upgrade set as I missed out on round 1. Knowing how well carbon sells, I suspect it would still be a viable kit, possibly even more popular than the assembly kit, though that's just wild speculation based on nothing but my own opinion. :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #526 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 13:07:10 »
Please vote for or against vintage cherry rows: VOTE HERE

I voted back when it was originally posted though what I'd really like is the vintage rows included with the base kit and a round 2 "downgrade" set to match the round 1 upgrade set as I missed out on round 1. Knowing how well carbon sells, I suspect it would still be a viable kit, possibly even more popular than the assembly kit, though that's just wild speculation based on nothing but my own opinion. :)

I am still considering the row 4 bottom row kit however i need more votes just to see how many people do care for such kit. Its not a problem for me to add this kit but i need some kind of evidence it can make it. But that's impossible and so i can only guess.

Like 6 posts up

pls read thread

sorry couldn't weed through all 11 pages to find the ETA. would be great to have it in the opening post.

Added the possible ETA to the front page ;)

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2018, 13:13:12 by T0mb3ry »

Offline mimalik

« Reply #527 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 14:04:53 »
May be its too late to suggest, but Orange Mods to have all orange set for full size kb?? I am sure there are enough orangephiles to hit an initial MOQ and enough of us R1ers who would like to update the sets we bought in last round just for that niche look.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #528 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 17:03:57 »
May be its too late to suggest, but Orange Mods to have all orange set for full size kb?? I am sure there are enough orangephiles to hit an initial MOQ and enough of us R1ers who would like to update the sets we bought in last round just for that niche look.

Its not too late to make suggestions but there are already 16 kits. That is beyond good and evil for an GMK keyset. Tho i like the idea but unfortunately adding another kit is not possible.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #529 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 17:13:33 »
Its not too late to make suggestions

To be honest i suggest to surprise everyone and make the set happen this month instead of November/December  :'(
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2018, 17:15:27 by KaosJ »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #530 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 18:04:33 »

The problem with this I can think of is we might not have enough "orangephiles" out there who would be willing to commit to a full orange set. Certainly that number can't be more than the number of Colemak/Dvorak users and when was the last time you saw those kits hit MOQ in a standard group buy without help. I just don't think it would be very feasible.

Offline darthzero

« Reply #531 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 02:03:25 »

To be honest i suggest to surprise everyone and make the set happen this month instead of November/December  :'(

While 2 other gmk sets already run and people are already committed, imho a bad idea. This is the only set (I know of) that is scheduled for nov/dec, buyers can save up for that time while other gb runners and vendors know not to run a gmk set around that time.
Also isn‘t massdrop rotating between manufacturers each keyset drop? At least that’s what it looked like the past few months.
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline Marutks

« Reply #532 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 10:06:53 »
I would definitely join this GB if there is R4 option.    Not sure about R5.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #533 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 21:47:47 »

While 2 other gmk sets already run and people are already committed, imho a bad idea. This is the only set (I know of) that is scheduled for nov/dec, buyers can save up for that time while other gb runners and vendors know not to run a gmk set around that time.
Also isn‘t massdrop rotating between manufacturers each keyset drop? At least that’s what it looked like the past few months.

For me personally - nov/dec makes more sense -- I suspect many will be like me and be getting multiple kits in this drop, so the more time to plan/save the better...

Offline giammin

« Reply #534 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 07:57:22 »
I know it is late but I want to add a suggestion for future sets:

r2/r3 arrows

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #535 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 11:22:01 »
I got new Novelkeys x T0mb3ry deskmats samples few days ago and shot some photos for you.

IMG_7371 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr
IMG_7350 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr

You will find more photos in following Album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151659186@N03/albums/72157700747190924

Because the deskmats hit my expectations i approved these for the drop on Massdrop which might happen in the near future.

Offline peggisan

« Reply #536 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 13:01:32 »
any chance of getting a vimkeys?

Offline distracteddev

« Reply #537 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 01:05:58 »
stoked on the deskmat. Definitely in.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #538 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 01:20:35 »
+1 on the Vim keys.  Some nice orange HJKL keys would look great.  I like how solarized dark made them part of the spacebars kit so they were optional.  Given all the kits here, perhaps novelties would be a good home for them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2018, 01:27:35 by thornkin »

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #539 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 02:07:19 »
I got new Novelkeys x T0mb3ry deskmats samples few days ago and shot some photos for you.

Show Image
IMG_7371 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr
Show Image
IMG_7350 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr

You will find more photos in following Album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151659186@N03/albums/72157700747190924

Because the deskmats hit my expectations i approved these for the drop on Massdrop which might happen in the near future.

How thick are these deskmats?

Offline regionfree

« Reply #540 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 02:56:16 »
The November or December release date is unacceptable. I want this NOW!

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #541 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 04:30:38 »
@T0mb3ry
I know this is a look into the future kind of question, but I’m wondering if you have any idea what the various kits are gonna cost approximately. Or, if you have done any kits in the past that we might be able to compare it with.

Trying to decide how much money to save up :P

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #542 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 06:05:37 »
How thick are these deskmats?

They are 900x400x4mm

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #543 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 12:48:45 »
@T0mb3ry
I know this is a look into the future kind of question, but I’m wondering if you have any idea what the various kits are gonna cost approximately. Or, if you have done any kits in the past that we might be able to compare it with.

Trying to decide how much money to save up :P

Its quite difficult to assume. The calculation is very complex from GMKs site and there is also MD calculation. Tho you should keep in mind base sets will cost between 150 and 170 dollars at 250 MOQ, due to the new molds and very generous coverage. The approx pricing for other kits you can derive from recent GMK drops. For example i think extension alphas will cost between 70 and 90 dollars at 100 MOQ. Assembly kit probably between 90 and 120 dollars at 100 MOQ.

Best you can do is to count keys in a kit and multiply it with 1$ per key. This way you will get an very rough approx value. Keep in mind the 1$ key ratio applies most of the time only to base kits since those are large. Smaller kits have worse dollar per key ratio.

Very important Everything said above are my assumption for the lowest MOQ (worst case scenario). So take it with a grain of salt! The more kits are sold the cheaper they get. By how much? I have no idea.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #544 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 18:26:44 »
@T0mb3ry

Trying to decide how much money to save up :p

Its quite difficult to assume. The calculation is very complex from GMKs site and there is also MD calculation. Tho you should keep in mind base sets will cost between 150 and 170 dollars at 250 MOQ, due to the new molds and very generous coverage. The approx pricing for other kits you can derive from recent GMK drops. For example i think extension alphas will cost between 70 and 90 dollars at 100 MOQ. Assembly kit probably between 90 and 120 dollars at 100 MOQ.

Best you can do is to count keys in a kit and multiply it with 1$ per key. This way you will get an very rough approx value. Keep in mind the 1$ key ratio applies most of the time only to base kits since those are large. Smaller kits have worse dollar per key ratio.

Very important Everything said above are my assumption for the lowest MOQ (worst case scenario). So take it with a grain of salt! The more kits are sold the cheaper they get. By how much? I have no idea.

Thank you for the tip.

Offline 8six753o9

« Reply #545 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 23:22:32 »
Hi T0mb3ry,

I know you don't want to add more keys to your set, but I was just wondering if you would be able to add an extra Tab key to both the core sets just like what Zambumon was planning to do with Chocolatier.  This will allow people to have an extra set of modifiers so they can have 2 layouts.  For example, (1) TKL with Core Bones and (1) HHKB layout with the remaining modifiers w/ Bone Alphas.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #546 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 23:30:15 »
Hi T0mb3ry,

I know you don't want to add more keys to your set, but I was just wondering if you would be able to add an extra Tab key to both the core sets just like what Zambumon was planning to do with Chocolatier.  This will allow people to have an extra set of modifiers so they can have 2 layouts.  For example, (1) TKL with Core Bones and (1) HHKB layout with the remaining modifiers w/ Bone Alphas.

This would be very nice

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #547 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 00:05:14 »
Hi T0mb3ry,

Sounds interesting. I'll look into it.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #548 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 01:22:39 »
Hi T0mb3ry,

Nice to see that this idea is finally getting mainstream, I proposed that ages ago in a different IC and I was fully ignored  :))

I really like this idea cause we have 2 full bottom rows, we have 2 ansi 2,25u shift keys so you can build one board with 2,75u and one with 1,75u right shift, you have several caps keys so you won't lack one there. There are two enter keys available, one coloured and one gray. The only missing keys are the tab key and you have to find a proper way to include the backspace as only one 2u key is included, but as already mentioned you can go for a hhkb build which is very popular in general.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #549 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 12:11:12 »
People who ask for row 4 kit. Look at this kit and how many keys it needs to make it compatible with the both base sets. This kit will cost at least 70 $ if not more. I dont think there will be enough people who will pay 70+ just for the bottom row. In this regard i cant offer such kit because its not feasible.

Edit: i apologize for the typo in the kit name...
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 September 2018, 12:24:11 by T0mb3ry »