Author Topic: 1x Human NOS Lurker  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Monochrome

• Ehe
1x Human NOS Lurker
« on: Fri, 05 January 2024, 00:22:28 »

Howdy, I'm Monochrome a.k.a. Mono.
I've been lurking IC's and GB's for about 5 years now, guess it's time I say hi and introduce myself.

I'm currently 23 years old, built my first custom in 2021, and have mild-severe deuteranomaly.
Up to that point, I didn't really have disposable income and decided I would rather save up for a more premium board, than settle for something like a plastic 60-65%.
I have been a TKL/75% Exploded enjoyer up to this point, however, I am continuing to expand my horizons more with each board I build.
Prior to my first build, I desoldered 2 OEM "Gaming" boards I had used in order to lube them since i couldn't afford to enter the community
in the way I wanted to yet.

305307-0

My first custom keyboard was a Mode80 2020.
TKL was an easy choice to start off with as it's not far from what I was used to, plus I loved the fashionable forehead on this guy, making it one of the easiest decisions of my life.
This monster of a board is built with an aluminum plate, Gateron KS-3 Full Nylon Yellows spring swapped with 57g TX Long Springs, and featuring GMK Hammerhead.
It has a beautiful deep clacky sound signature.

305305-1

My second board, and my current daily, is a Mammoth75 built with GMK Colorchrome and Momoka Frogs cleaned and Hand Lubed with 205g0.
This was the second keyboard I ever built, and the first one I actually spent time cherry picking lube jobs, playing around with foams, and much more in tune aesthetics decisions.
Big Knob
Brass Knob
Love Knob

The other board I currently own is a Freebird TKL from KFA with GMK Shashin, however, no picture as it is on loan to a friend while I wait on parts for her build.

The last custom to date is a GMMK for my dad.
This was a last second fathers day idea as my dad is arguably a much bigger nerd than I am and he had asked about my boards a few times.
I pieced everything together and walked him through the build process.

His board is built with a combo of Boba U4T Alphas and mods and Khail box whites for the arrow keys and numpad.
It is also modded with PCB tape, a small amount of polyfill, and a plastilina fill on the space bar (my all time favorite mod).

I know the GMMK line isn't very highly regarded nowadays, but, I'm not a big fan of the keychron look, knew he wouldn't be either,
and Glorious actually came in clutch with 2 day delivery, so I can't really complain.

I have 6 unbuilt boards in my possession including my first WKL, FKL, and Alice layouts that I will be using to further expand my personal experiencein the hobby,
2 of which are for friends/family, and 2 more in the pre-purchase planning phase (alps and topre... I cant wait!)

I really do love being a part of this hobby, for all the good, bad, and financial destruction it has caused all of us.
It feels like a major stepping stone towards my true passion and future college degree, once the Army lets go of me.

I hope all of y'all have a wonderful day.
<3 Mono
p.s. linear gang... kinda?
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 January 2024, 01:17:02 by Monochrome »
Keybort

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: 1x Human NOS Lurker
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 20:18:16 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

That mammoth board is very strange, it looks really goofy lol

Hope you enjoy it here

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Monochrome

• Ehe
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 22:42:01 »
Yeah, for whatever reason, colorchrome doesn't come with a black tilde or pipe key so the white spills over in a strange way :p
Keybort

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 00:20:29 »
Yeah, for whatever reason, colorchrome doesn't come with a black tilde or pipe key so the white spills over in a strange way :p

I'm pretty sure it does have mod pipe and tilde at least it shows it on Daily Clack.

Also I was mainly talking about the layout and the large knob of the board, it's a very strange one that I don't see (though I think it has to do with the knob), I do prefer alpha pipe and tilde on anything 75% and above and has regular backspace.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Monochrome

• Ehe
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 03:02:05 »
Hmm, might be in the lower tray, ill check later. I love the layout,,, weird little exploded 75%.
Keybort