Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 157160 times)

Offline forevermadrigal

Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 01:31:21 »
Can you change the name to Cabrón?

+1

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:03:42 »

GMK Big Cabrónes

Offline dsaf

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:36:38 »
...i am in mad love with Cherry profile and i decided to focus in this round onto vintage Cherry profile.

After one/two random dudes (no offence) raise a slight complain:

Ok it seems like row 5 and row 0 are niche thing.

The whole hobby is niche and is generally based on rightful belief that vintage keebs were better.

Offline t4n6

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:41:11 »
@t0mb3ry did anything ever happen with the Hayate mouse pad with the Carbon Logo on it? Or are you no longer trying to make that happen with the addition of the Novelkeys deskmat on this drop?

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #204 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:57:38 »
...i am in mad love with Cherry profile and i decided to focus in this round onto vintage Cherry profile.

The whole hobby is niche and is generally based on rightful belief that vintage keebs were better.
As I've said earlier, the best scenario is have either a r0-r5 set with a smaller r1-r4 kit (function keys, bottom row and maybe a couple of r4 and r1 novelties in the default color) or the opposite: a full r1-r4 set with a sculpted r0-r5 kit. I think most people would be ok with that.
In the first case (R0-R5 base set) even a R4 kit (without R1 function keys) should work.

Another option is doing the base set in one profile and bone modifiers in the other.

I think it's to early to disregard any possibility.

As to which set should be the primary, maybe a poll could help, but in the end it's T0mb3ry's decision.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 July 2018, 03:26:03 by Endeavour1934 »

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 07:25:08 »
Glad to see so much support for R0 and R5 rows. Really appreciate it.  :D

Anyway let me figure out the pricings for the kits first. Thats the most important factor imo (if i mute the enthusiast inside me). I hope the R0 and R5 will be viable.

Also i made a poll for Cherry profile choice. Please vote for the profile constalation you prefer: VOTE HERE

Voted for vintage  :thumb: Carbon base kit can have 1-1-2-3-4-4 I don't care, I already had it from R1. I just want Bone and Ivory to have 0-1-2-3-4-5 and if somehow that's not the case, I'm out.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 July 2018, 07:28:01 by thelaughingman »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 08:07:22 »
A huevo

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 08:16:37 »

oh wait, that's not what it's called already... I've been mispronouncing all this time.
I too vote for the change! ... or at least a Cabron kit :)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 09:03:35 »
As you're already aware of, from an enthusiast and exclusively personal point of view I absolutely want to see r5 r0.

That said, from a business point of view, I think it heavily depends on the price difference. If it's negligible then it's definitely worth it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 09:23:33 »

oh wait, that's not what it's called already... I've been mispronouncing all this time.

It's how I've been pronouncing it in my head fron the get-go!
Instead of v2 we can just use Cabrón!

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 09:26:17 »

It's how I've been pronouncing it in my head fron the get-go!
Instead of v2 we can just use Cabrón!

yeah, same... already did that with Need for Speed Cabrón
agreed, Cabrón Edition

also, my body is 40% Cabrón-Fibre material ;)

@t0mb3ry: at least Cabron on the backside of the banderole ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 July 2018, 09:40:51 by rioc »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 10:22:59 »
Only the SA version should be renamed to Ése Cabrón

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 10:44:51 »
Only the SA version should be renamed to Ése Cabrón

:raveparrot:

Offline blah60

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:00:16 »
Moist! Can't wait. Wish we can have the Beezarre alpha's shift and enter key with the novelties though.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:06:13 »
Moist! Can't wait. Wish we can have the Beezarre alpha's shift and enter key with the novelties though.

Those are caps and stepped caps
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:36:24 »
You should absolutely keep R0/R5.  I don't get the thumb striking argument because at best you should be hitting only the spacebar and alt keys with your thumb (and not even right alt really), and everything else should be done with your normal fingers in which case the angle won't be an issue.  And tbqh it'd be good to force people to stop typing with broken wrists/poor form anyway (the reason probably 90% of people who flip their spacebars do so).
I can explain...
On any keyboard with a small spacebar, it's more efficient to make better use of your thumbs by activating more keys than just the spacebar (which IMHO, is a huge waste of space). In particular, anything with layer keys are likely activated with the thumbs. On a Planck, something like half (6u) of the bottom row can be easily hit with the thumb.
Your inference that people that use their thumbs have poor form seems fairly ignorant to me. For instance, one common key combination I need to use is right-ctrl+del (sends ctrl-alt-del to a VM) and no, you can not use left-ctrl to do this. How do you propose I hit that combo without my thumb? Just because you can't imagine a use case doesn't mean others are doing it wrong or have "poor form".

Offline elfick

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:45:57 »

Offence taken. Why even put in "random" (or "one/two" or "dudes" for that matter) and then throw in "no offence"?
Other than the designer, no one is any more or less random than anyone else.
IMHO, it's bad form to refer to peeps that have been around the community longer than you as "random dudes".

Also, the idea that "The whole hobby is niche and is generally based on rightful belief that vintage keebs were better." is completely and patently wrong.
If that was the case, we wouldn't have 40s or any styles other than vintage and we wouldn't have people experimenting and designing switches that don't emulate anything that used to be available.

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:52:41 by elfick »

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 13:12:26 »
Let’s all settle down shall we.

In the end there are people that like the idea or R0-5 and want it to happen, for whatever reason they have, and people that again for various reasons prefer the regular R1-4.

T0mb3ry made a poll for it and I think it’s best to wait and see what the outcome of that is and what he can find out about prices. And from there make a decision.

No need to “hate” on each other, share the love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 13:40:46 »
VOTE HERE FOR PROFILE

Just want to repost the poll. Given the current poll stand it seems like 2/3 are for vintage profile and 1/3 for modern. Anyway as i said i need to look at possible pricing for the vintage profile and then i will make a decision. The poll is also important. I will look into making a dedicated kit for the minority or (depending on pricing) for majority.

Uhm Cabron set or kit is not possible. Yanbo will not allow me hahaha.

Those are only caps lock sugar keys, which have the purpose to drag attention and thus help to meet MOQ. I dont want to introduce new novelties for now. Probably Carbon is the most Novelty richest set at the moment.

Tho those caps lock sugar keys are meant to give a slight novelty touch. I like to make novelties but i am not using those myself but probably i can imagine using a novelty caps lock on my board.
Beezarre with Carbon base

Boneyard with Bone base

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 16:10:52 »
How many cabrons do you need to fake a poll? I mean... If in the world there are 500 people that own a R0-R5 set, well that would be surprising. Now reach 60 of those people, and convince them to vote for a set that they already own. Well, that's even more surprising.

Offline projectcain

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 17:02:20 »
How many cabrons do you need to fake a poll? I mean... If in the world there are 500 people that own a R0-R5 set, well that would be surprising. Now reach 60 of those people, and convince them to vote for a set that they already own. Well, that's even more surprising.

Did everyone make sure to kick in votes on their phones, tablets and computers for good measure?  :thumb:

Offline blighty

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 17:24:05 »
On the plus side, DCS spacebars have about the same angle/profile as R5, so no need for GMK to make new spacebar molds(if you don't mind mixing SP with GMK).
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 July 2018, 17:25:52 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 17:53:50 »
On the plus side, DCS spacebars have about the same angle/profile as R5, so no need for GMK to make new spacebar molds(if you don't mind mixing SP with GMK).
It’s treason then.

Offline cyyz

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 01:50:10 »
Really excited about this set. I do prefer the modern/regular profile.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 July 2018, 02:02:32 by cyyz »

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 02:05:11 »

Did everyone make sure to kick in votes on their phones, tablets and computers for good measure?  :thumb:

What are you talking about?  :p
I thought vintage folks only use terminals form factor (PC)?

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 04:49:44 »
You should absolutely keep R0/R5.  I don't get the thumb striking argument because at best you should be hitting only the spacebar and alt keys with your thumb (and not even right alt really), and everything else should be done with your normal fingers in which case the angle won't be an issue.  And tbqh it'd be good to force people to stop typing with broken wrists/poor form anyway (the reason probably 90% of people who flip their spacebars do so).
I can explain...
On any keyboard with a small spacebar, it's more efficient to make better use of your thumbs by activating more keys than just the spacebar (which IMHO, is a huge waste of space). In particular, anything with layer keys are likely activated with the thumbs. On a Planck, something like half (6u) of the bottom row can be easily hit with the thumb.
Your inference that people that use their thumbs have poor form seems fairly ignorant to me. For instance, one common key combination I need to use is right-ctrl+del (sends ctrl-alt-del to a VM) and no, you can not use left-ctrl to do this. How do you propose I hit that combo without my thumb? Just because you can't imagine a use case doesn't mean others are doing it wrong or have "poor form".

You have a point about stuff like the planck with small spacebars where there are extra keys that in place of the 6.25u bar, but A) that's a niche since the vast majority of people use 60% or TKL boards and B) the ergoplanck kit has R4 anyway, making it moot.  But as for your right-ctrl + del combo, if you're talking about doing that on a standard layout then I still don't see why you're forced to hit the back edge of the key rather than the top - or more importantly, how R4 would somehow alleviate that issue considering it's not a flat row either. 

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 11:46:32 »
Little bit to the discussion regarding the bottom row and why some people do flip the spacebar. Below is the real solution. Tried it with row 5 and the wrist rest lift the hands off - so you dont even get in touch with bottom row.
Royal Glam wristrest (1) by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 12:19:18 »
To add to the discussion, as someone owning R5 caps, I thought I'd share some pictures. Please forgive me my nails, yes I bite them, we all have some bad habbits this is mine. Well that, and chocolate desserts :P

Anyway, first pic is how you -should- type according to all the doctors and stuff. So keep your wrists elevated, don't let them rest. If you watch the angle of my thumb it's really not that bad to press a R5 key. I wouldn't call it worse than a R4 but your experience may vary.

Second pic is using a wrist rest. It's not as good, but still doable and personally I don't expect al of issues for people. However, I'm not sure I would like it on a 40% keyboard over a long period of time when I need to acces layers a lot.

3rd pic is worst way to type, wrists laying on the table in a very uncomfortable angle.

And lastly, a side-by-side comparison. Black one is R4, white one is R5.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 July 2018, 12:20:56 by Poesjuh »

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 12:31:17 »
Personally I like R5 on keyboards with decent inclines.  On flat keyboards like 40%, R5 is unusable, even if you use wristrest.
Also, I find 1u R5 uncomfortable on WKL set up.  Thank goodness I have Windows key mapped to somewhere else.  This adds to my reservation on 1.25u R5.

Offline elfick

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 13:52:27 »
I can explain...

You have a point about stuff like the planck with small spacebars where there are extra keys that in place of the 6.25u bar, but A) that's a niche since the vast majority of people use 60% or TKL boards and B) the ergoplanck kit has R4 anyway, making it moot.  But as for your right-ctrl + del combo, if you're talking about doing that on a standard layout then I still don't see why you're forced to hit the back edge of the key rather than the top - or more importantly, how R4 would somehow alleviate that issue considering it's not a flat row either.
I agree planck is niche, but that isn't the only keyboard on which this would be an issue. There are an increasing number of split space keyboards and they would likely suffer from this as well.
With regard to the ergoplanck kit, that's just not a solution. I won't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather have incorrect legends than blank legends. Blanks mixed with non-blanks just results, IMHO, in a jarring and displeasing visual.
No, R4 isn't flat, but it is flatter than R5 so yes, it does alleviate the issue, it just doesn't eliminate it. Convex would be amazing, but I'm not going to hold my breath for 1.25u and 1.5u convex keys.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 14:03:13 »
Convex would be amazing, but I'm not going to hold my breath for 1.25u and 1.5u convex keys.

You dont need to hold your breath. 1.5u and 1.25u convex will definitely happen but not now. This round of Carbon introduces 2.75u and 2.25u convex keys because these are the most used in split keyboards. Next big GMK Drop (such as Lazer or Nautilus) might introduce other keys. And so on. GMK cant provide all keys at once. One new mold costs around 5k.

Offline elfick

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 14:04:23 »
To add to the discussion, as someone owning R5 caps, I thought I'd share some pictures. Please forgive me my nails, yes I bite them, we all have some bad habbits this is mine. Well that, and chocolate desserts :P

Anyway, first pic is how you -should- type according to all the doctors and stuff. So keep your wrists elevated, don't let them rest. If you watch the angle of my thumb it's really not that bad to press a R5 key. I wouldn't call it worse than a R4 but your experience may vary.
Show Image

Second pic is using a wrist rest. It's not as good, but still doable and personally I don't expect al of issues for people. However, I'm not sure I would like it on a 40% keyboard over a long period of time when I need to acces layers a lot.
Show Image

3rd pic is worst way to type, wrists laying on the table in a very uncomfortable angle.
Show Image

Show Image

So, out of curiosity, why do you flip your spacebar? I'm guessing it's because you find it more comfortable. But you don't think there is a difference between thumb striking a R5 vs R4?

Offline elfick

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 14:05:38 »
Convex would be amazing, but I'm not going to hold my breath for 1.25u and 1.5u convex keys.

You dont need to hold your breath. 1.5u and 1.25u convex will definitely happen but not now. This round of Carbon introduces 2.75u and 2.25u convex keys because these are the most used in split keyboards. Next big GMK Drop (such as Lazer or Nautilus) might introduce other keys. And so on. GMK cant provide all keys at once. One new mold costs around 5k.
That's great news!  :D  :thumb:

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 02:07:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So, out of curiosity, why do you flip your spacebar? I'm guessing it's because you find it more comfortable. But you don't think there is a difference between thumb striking a R5 vs R4?
It’s more comfortable, we all know it. In my opinion, on a 40% you should just flip all the bottom row keys you often use. Even if it means flipped legends :P

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 06:01:20 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It’s more comfortable, we all know it. In my opinion, on a 40% you should just flip all the bottom row keys you often use. Even if it means flipped legends :P

Just flip the keyboard.

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 09:13:06 »
interested

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 09:22:12 »

+1 kudos for introducing those two keys that support some common split space bar layouts!

Edit: Is there going to be an Icon Extension kit with orange legends? It may be matched with the R1 Icon kit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 July 2018, 09:51:03 by ideus »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 10:17:17 »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 14:57:42 »
Is there going to be an Icon Extension kit with orange legends? It may be matched with the R1 Icon kit.

Icon mods will be only available for Bone base since its already using og icons. For Carbon base it would require almost all mods as icons.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 15:19:44 »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 16:38:09 »
Just flip the keyboard.

Show Image

Indignation.

I was going to take my keyboard and flip all the keycaps like the spacebar. and sen you a pic, but it was too much work.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 17:42:03 »
DW I got your back

Best way

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 17:43:28 »
DW I got your back

Show Image

Show Image

Best way

RIP caps lock. It could've been great, but I'm left feeling lost.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 17:45:38 »
I'm sorry :( Had no way to fix that besides putting on a random cap that would have fit and leave a gap.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 21:23:27 »
Update.

Introduction of 40% kit.
I want to appologize to minivan owners but i can not support this keyboard. I got my own reasons for it. I am really sorry. I wish i could give it support but its not possible.
Show Image

So far all other 40% layouts (only default layout) should be covered. This kit is an extension and should be combined with Carbon or Bone base kits. I think its also possible to use it in combination with GMK Carbon base set from round 1.

All the split spacebars and keys will be available in an spacebar kit.

Aren’t these R0, R5 are the same height/slope as the corresponding rows in DCS profile? I’m not sure how I will feel about it, I like Cherry profile for been lower than DCS and I do not like the steep bottom row keys in DCS.
This is really good that you are planning to have a separate kit for ErgoDox/ortho.

I've never tried dcs profile properly and i cant say anything about it. However i've typed on bsp sets which have row5 bottom row and i would not say that the higher angle was an issue. But if you are interested in Ergoplanck kit then you have the choice between row 4 and 5 bottomrow. So it should not be an issue in this case.

Bones kits are making me truly look at Carbon for the first time ever. Basically have two full kits between Bone Base, Boneyard Alphas, Ivory Mods, plus the new Bone Icon Extensions!

This is good to hear, because bone was made in order to give people who dont like orange color an option.

can you share your reasons for not supporting the minivan? I'd like to hear them

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 00:30:46 »
OK I've thought really hard about this, R1-R4 people can have the Bone base kit too. JUST LEAVE R0-R5 IN IVORY KIT ALONE :(((( that's all I want now :(((

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 00:41:10 »
can you share your reasons for not supporting the minivan? I'd like to hear them
I will not support your products and you know exactly why. So i dont see the point to share it ;) This is also a wrong thread for drama or what ever.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 01:17:31 »
looking good  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 01:22:21 »
looking good  :thumb:

Thanks bro! I appreciate your support. :D

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 09:04:01 »
I will not support your products and you know exactly why. So i dont see the point to share it ;) This is also a wrong thread for drama or what ever.

I actually don’t know why. You’ve never actually supported them so I was just curious why you called it out now. Anyways good luck with the sale.