Author Topic: HHKB  (Read 29523 times)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: HHKB
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 15:11:31 »
I cheat.

292189-0

I can't live without my numpad and I'm not cool enough to be a sff keyboard wizard.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 18:27:30 »
It only took me about 2 days to learn, though I did use the dip switches so Delete is Backspace and the Alt and System keys are swapped since it felt like I had to do finger gymnastics to hit the Alt in its default position. Overall I really like this layout and I use my HHKB Pro Classic any time I'm working on something/chatting. The Ctrl position just feels so much more natural, I actually switched my other keyboards to have the Ctrl in that position haha. In games where you press Ctrl to crouch it feels way more comfortable and easy to reach, it's actually improved my movement quite a bit in FPS games!

Yeah, hhkb is amazing, till the time where I need to edit text and use arrows a lot - then its f***ing pain in the ass  :'(

If your HHKB is a reprogrammable one or you have an aftermarket controller you can try swapping arrow keys on the second layer to WASD. I can't do it on mine because I have a Pro Classic but I do it on all my other keyboards that don't have dedicated arrows. That way you can just do FN + WASD for arrows.

I know, I've done it, but Still, my hhkb is in a cupboard, can't use it really.

You can program your Classic, I've done it with mine, when had one. Its a new trick with those new keyboards, you just have to edit your software file.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 12:17:01 »
It only took me about 2 days to learn, though I did use the dip switches so Delete is Backspace and the Alt and System keys are swapped since it felt like I had to do finger gymnastics to hit the Alt in its default position. Overall I really like this layout and I use my HHKB Pro Classic any time I'm working on something/chatting. The Ctrl position just feels so much more natural, I actually switched my other keyboards to have the Ctrl in that position haha. In games where you press Ctrl to crouch it feels way more comfortable and easy to reach, it's actually improved my movement quite a bit in FPS games!

Yeah, hhkb is amazing, till the time where I need to edit text and use arrows a lot - then its f***ing pain in the ass  :'(

If your HHKB is a reprogrammable one or you have an aftermarket controller you can try swapping arrow keys on the second layer to WASD. I can't do it on mine because I have a Pro Classic but I do it on all my other keyboards that don't have dedicated arrows. That way you can just do FN + WASD for arrows.

I know, I've done it, but Still, my hhkb is in a cupboard, can't use it really.

You can program your Classic, I've done it with mine, when had one. Its a new trick with those new keyboards, you just have to edit your software file.

I don't really bother anyways because I mostly use arrow keys for gaming and it's impossible to game on my HHKB for other reasons.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline achooie

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 12:15:30 »
Phinix I'm a programmer like I think you've said you are, and I'd say it may be worth looking into using vim and/or vim plugins for other editors. I haven't used arrow keys to edit text for over a decade.
Planck Zealios 67g | Leopold FC900R | Apple M0116 Alps Salmon (ADB converter) | HHKB Pro HYBRID Type-S

Offline phinix

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 09:47:47 »
Phinix I'm a programmer like I think you've said you are, and I'd say it may be worth looking into using vim and/or vim plugins for other editors. I haven't used arrow keys to edit text for over a decade.

Yes, but apart from this, its like word docs editing, emails etc.
Just missing those arrows :(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline achooie

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 02:57:15 »

Yes, but apart from this, its like word docs editing, emails etc.
Just missing those arrows :(

Ah yeah well I mean there are a bunch of extensions and plugins for almost every editing program I've come across to enable vim bindings, such as http://www.viemu.com/viemu-vi-vim-word-outlook.html or https://github.com/akahuku/wasavi though I've gotten by without for any non-code editing. I hope you can find something that works!
Planck Zealios 67g | Leopold FC900R | Apple M0116 Alps Salmon (ADB converter) | HHKB Pro HYBRID Type-S

Offline phinix

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 26 October 2022, 14:47:07 »
I'm just back to TKL.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
Re: HHKB (and other 60%)
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 06:38:27 »
KKHB ordered.
I give myself a month. If I fail, I'll return it (Amazon) and never get other format than TKL.

dont be too worried. it only took me like a week to fully get into the habit of the layout. however i was mad at myself because i thought it would take way longer so i bought printed caps instead of blanks... and now i want blanks.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 12:01:21 »
I mentioned those new kbdfans HiPro keyset some months ago, they came this week.

Cool feeling, something between SA and MT3 profile.

292699-0

Offline phinix

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 05 April 2023, 18:10:21 »
Jesus...
I viewed some hhkb photos on our forum and started to want it again...
Please God, keep me off that little monster... I don't want to buy it.. I think...

Offline Tseg

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 15:33:33 »
My HHKB is due in 2 days.  Interesting feedback on this thread vs. a lot of review sites that all say "don't worry, within a month you'll be a pro."  I can tell you I could not get used to doing spreadsheets on my 40% with my numbers/numpad in layers.  Hopefully 4 arrow buttons are more manageable than 10 number buttons.

My goal is to make the HHKB a bit of an end-game board, while I already have eyes on a Heavy Grail upgrade.

Specific to Type-S or not, now I am a bit worried hearing some of your pooh-pooh the Type-S as being mushy, because the Type-S is what I ordered.  There were so many reviews suggesting the Type-S sound was so much more pleasant than standard Topre switches.  Meanwhile, I had bought Gazzew Boba U4 silents that came with rave reviews, only to not be crazy about them as they were actually too silent... and definitely mushy when bottomed out.

Basically, all my potential concerns about buying an HHKB Type-S that were disarmed in most reviews, have now sprung to life again after reading this thread.  I guess in 2 more days I'll know...

Offline phinix

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 16:43:24 »
My HHKB is due in 2 days.  Interesting feedback on this thread vs. a lot of review sites that all say "don't worry, within a month you'll be a pro."  I can tell you I could not get used to doing spreadsheets on my 40% with my numbers/numpad in layers.  Hopefully 4 arrow buttons are more manageable than 10 number buttons.

My goal is to make the HHKB a bit of an end-game board, while I already have eyes on a Heavy Grail upgrade.

Specific to Type-S or not, now I am a bit worried hearing some of your pooh-pooh the Type-S as being mushy, because the Type-S is what I ordered.  There were so many reviews suggesting the Type-S sound was so much more pleasant than standard Topre switches.  Meanwhile, I had bought Gazzew Boba U4 silents that came with rave reviews, only to not be crazy about them as they were actually too silent... and definitely mushy when bottomed out.

Basically, all my potential concerns about buying an HHKB Type-S that were disarmed in most reviews, have now sprung to life again after reading this thread.  I guess in 2 more days I'll know...

Yeah, you gonna hate it...
I dont understand why so many people say Type-S is great. It wasn't for me.
I love topre for what they are and how they sound and feel un-modded. Stock is love.

Offline Tribal

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 21:49:42 »
Cheat and grab a FC660C while you can - they’re recently discontinued. 

You can program it to essentially HHKB layout + dedicated arrow keys (and Delete!).  It’ll be firmer than the HHKB, as it uses a metal plate.  I absolutely love mine and am constantly keeping an eye out for an ivory, low-noise one to keep as a spare.  My current spare is a Realforce TKL, and it’s nice, but it’s not sublime like the FC660C.

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 00:55:13 »

I adapted pretty quickly to a hhkb style layout (split bs, r3 control, split rs) and is now my preffered layout. I know not everyone likes it because you use layers for a lot of things (especially compared to a tkl) but for me it's perfect.

Offline Tseg

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 05:28:13 »

I adapted pretty quickly to a hhkb style layout (split bs, r3 control, split rs) and is now my preffered layout. I know not everyone likes it because you use layers for a lot of things (especially compared to a tkl) but for me it's perfect.

I’m good with layers, for the most part, just not when entering dozens of layered numbers in a row.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 23:44:35 »
HHKB sounds interesting! I’m looking for something a bit unique outside of mx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline Tseg

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 17:49:03 »
Well,  things went sideways on me.  My HHKB Hybrid S Type is still hung up with Fed Ex after 2 weeks... not sure when it will arrive?  However, I came across a pre-loved custom HHKB for sale on an obscure site, put out an offer, it was accepted, and now my custom arrived today.  It has the guts of a Pro Classic.  The prior owner said they lubed it.  It is pretty darn quiet.   I guess it does not have silencing rings, but if someone told me this is what they sound and feel like, I would believe them.  I've already had to use my Hacking board to hack the HHKB Keymap Tool so I could get the media layer keys to function with Windows, with the Keymap Tool not supposed to work with The Classic.... Learned how from a GH thread from a few years ago.  My first impressions of this board: time to buy the wall mounted display rack for the rest of my keyboards.  This HHKB is is sooo comfortable to type with, and much easier for me to be more accurate with these Topre switches.  Another convert.

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 23:39:12 »
Well,  things went sideways on me.  My HHKB Hybrid S Type is still hung up with Fed Ex after 2 weeks... not sure when it will arrive?  However, I came across a pre-loved custom HHKB for sale on an obscure site, put out an offer, it was accepted, and now my custom arrived today.  It has the guts of a Pro Classic.  The prior owner said they lubed it.  It is pretty darn quiet.   I guess it does not have silencing rings, but if someone told me this is what they sound and feel like, I would believe them.  I've already had to use my Hacking board to hack the HHKB Keymap Tool so I could get the media layer keys to function with Windows, with the Keymap Tool not supposed to work with The Classic.... Learned how from a GH thread from a few years ago.  My first impressions of this board: time to buy the wall mounted display rack for the rest of my keyboards.  This HHKB is is sooo comfortable to type with, and much easier for me to be more accurate with these Topre switches.  Another convert.

Show Image

Glad to see you found something you really like. In terms of custom topre cases, I was never really the fan of them, I never liked how norbauer cases looked and generally preferred the look of the standard cases.

Though there is one that I really like, The horsey one. I just love the horse on the back on the skateboard, it's so cute.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=120018.0