Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2449354 times)

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2500 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:33:02 »
Razer. Blackwidow. Chroma.  ;)

For all the **** people give Razers, I enjoy my modded Tournament Edition. Vintage MX Blacks and thick, blank PBT caps make the Blackwidow Tournament Edition a rather pleasant typing experience. Why did I make such a thing? Well, I had two Razer boards from when I didn't care about quality and wanted to practice modding things :p

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #2501 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:36:42 »

For all the **** people give Razers, I enjoy my modded Tournament Edition. Vintage MX Blacks and thick, blank PBT caps make the Blackwidow Tournament Edition a rather pleasant typing experience. Why did I make such a thing? Well, I had two Razer boards from when I didn't care about quality and wanted to practice modding things :p
is that not like putting supercar parts in a 1989 honda civic?

Offline E3E

« Reply #2502 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:50:57 »

Hey man, I started with a Rapoo KX and souped it up much the same haha. I originally bought a mechanical keyboard as the last upgrade for my rig--originally wanting a wireless backlit board, but then seeing the KX and wondering what the mechanical hype was all about, bought it.

I ended up swapping in ergo clears at 62g with gold sprit springs, sip sockets, and an mx lock for the FN key.

The original Rapoo I bought got its stainless bezel powder coated black and, swapped to MX red at first, then Gateorn Clear, when the hype train for gats originally hit, sip socketed, lubed, stickered, and lock on the FN key.

Yeah, it was crazy spending that much time on the boards, but I say, if you dig something you have, why not show it some love?

That said, I sold the black one, and kept the white one just to use as backup these days (the ergo'd one) and barely use it. I kind of miss the black one.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2503 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:55:57 »
I guess it could be likened as such although I have heard many complaints about the board itself, an issue that would persist even after changing the caps and switches. In my opinion, it feels sturdy but it's likely that I'm just an idiot... mostly for building it in the first place. I dubbed it "the Abomination" shortly after building it for a reason, haha. Thank goodness I didn't pay that much for the donor Wyse board ($5 from a local goodwill, score!!).

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2504 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:56:46 »
I guess it could be likened as such although I have heard many complaints about the board itself, an issue that would persist even after changing the caps and switches. In my opinion, it feels sturdy but it's likely that I'm just an idiot... mostly for building it in the first place. I dubbed it "the Abomination" shortly after building it. Thank goodness I didn't pay that much for the donor Wyse board ($5 from a local goodwill, score!!).
I would have just converted and used the wyse board lmao

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2505 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 19:59:32 »
I would have just converted and used the wyse board lmao
The Wyse board was rather beaten up and yellowed, in my defense. I don't think it was worth keeping together since cleaning it would have more effort than scrapping it, unfortunately.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2506 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 20:18:38 »
You cherry guys have almost unlimited options to go Dr. Frankenstein and unleash your monsters to the unsuspecting public. There should be a special thread to pay tribute to such abominations/pets.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2507 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 21:01:32 »
You cherry guys have almost unlimited options to go Dr. Frankenstein and unleash your monsters to the unsuspecting public. There should be a special thread to pay tribute to such abominations/pets.
Lol, I just have a predilection for Linear MX-compatible switches, for my tactile and clicky needs I turn to other sources. I am kind of scared as to what might turn up in such a thread. Shivers, I dare not imagine what horrors have been produced over the years. That being said, there have to be a few Alps "Abominations" too. I don't know of any examples but I am sure at least one exists.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2508 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 21:04:25 »
Lol, I just have a predilection for Linear MX-compatible switches, for my tactile and clicky needs I turn to other sources. I am kind of scared as to what might turn up in such a thread. Shivers, I dare not imagine what horrors have been produced over the years. That being said, there have to be a few Alps "Abominations" too. I don't know of any examples but I am sure at least one exists.
speaking of alps abominations, somewhere on youtube there is a video of someone's linear modded skcm blues, what a waste.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2509 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 22:16:13 »

This guy, huh?

Hey, if it's all ya got and you want linears, why not? Just keep the leaves and you can transplant that feel to another switch, or at least a significant portion.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #2510 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 22:29:38 »
I found an AT101w locally and spent a few hours cleaning and modding it to be a linear board. After a few days of the parts drying, I put it together and although it felt much better than black alps, it didn't work :|
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2511 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 03:17:02 »

Definitely not. Pretty sure you could show your friends a 1989 Honda Civic and not be embarassed :p .

I think it's much better to liken it to a Reliant Robin :p .

This guy, huh?

Hey, if it's all ya got and you want linears, why not? Just keep the leaves and you can transplant that feel to another switch, or at least a significant portion.
In all fairness, they still sound amazing. But the originals are just unsurpassed.

That might also be the first ever mention of linear-modded Alps =o .

I found an AT101w locally and spent a few hours cleaning and modding it to be a linear board. After a few days of the parts drying, I put it together and although it felt much better than black alps, it didn't work :|
Wait, what the hell did you clean it with?! xD

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #2512 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 04:35:31 »

Definitely not. Pretty sure you could show your friends a 1989 Honda Civic and not be embarassed :p .

Show Image

Haha, Top Gear did some great bits with them. I would rather have supercar parts in a Robin than the riced-out Civics people go nuts over.

More

This guy, huh?

In all fairness, they still sound amazing. But the originals are just unsurpassed.

Wait, what the hell did you clean it with?! xD

I never tested it beforehand. The switches were wildly inconsistent before modding and cleaning all the parts with denture tabs. Figured out why when I found a sticky, water-damaged pcb inside. Lesson learned.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2513 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 05:34:12 »

the exact thing happened to me. i don't know how i fixed it but i left it for about 2 weeks without plugging it in and i also swapped the green LEDs for red ones and it seemed to work. also turn your pc off at the wall when you plug it in as i don't think at101s are hotswappable like USB
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2514 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 09:12:14 »

Show Image

This guy, huh?

Why in the poop-stain would anyone remove the leaves from blues? I actually did your linear mod (chyros) to blacks on my Dell AT but on blues!?!  :confused:

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2515 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 11:09:06 »

Show Image

This guy, huh?

Why in the poop-stain would anyone remove the leaves from blues? I actually did your linear mod (chyros) to blacks on my Dell AT but on blues!?!  :confused:
I don't know, I'm now convinced there is a noticeable difference in feel or smoothness of ANY linear or linearised Alps switches, so doing this on blues seems wasteful xD .

Offline E3E

« Reply #2516 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 12:17:32 »

Probably out of straight up convenience. With the rest of the boards the guy has ($$), he could've sat and waited for a Zenith though. Some people just don't like clicky switches as well.

I myself have far more blue Alps boards than I do linear Green Alps ones.  I got my first batch of greens (NOS too) from a trade for some SKCM Blues. Then from some assembly work I did for a friend, along with some other goodies.

Lastly, from a Sharp typewriter, which is the only actual -thing- I bought with SKCL Greens. The one Zenith I bought had SKCL Yellows, haha.

That said, yeah, he could've just bought something like an AEK II and linearized them instead. I considered linearizing some blues myself, but ultimately figured it wasn't worth it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 July 2016, 12:20:32 by E3E »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2517 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 12:19:26 »

Probably out of straight up convenience. With the rest of the boards the guy has ($$), he could've sat and waited for a Zenith though.

I myself have far more blue Alps boards than I do linear Green Alps ones.  I got my first batch of greens (NOS too) from a trade for some SKCM Blues. Then from some assembly work I did for a friend, along with some other goodies.

Lastly, from a Sharp typewriter, which is the only actual -thing- I bought with SKCL Greens. The one Zenith I bought had SKCL Yellows, haha.

That said, yeah, he could've just bought something like an AEK II and linearized them instead. I considered linearizing some blues myself, but ultimately figured it wasn't worth it.
That sounds interesting. linearized cream damped switches? sounds like a better solution than matias quiet linears. I might have to try that.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #2518 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 12:36:56 »

Hey man, I started with a Rapoo KX and souped it up much the same haha. I originally bought a mechanical keyboard as the last upgrade for my rig--originally wanting a wireless backlit board, but then seeing the KX and wondering what the mechanical hype was all about, bought it.

I ended up swapping in ergo clears at 62g with gold sprit springs, sip sockets, and an mx lock for the FN key.

The original Rapoo I bought got its stainless bezel powder coated black and, swapped to MX red at first, then Gateorn Clear, when the hype train for gats originally hit, sip socketed, lubed, stickered, and lock on the FN key.

Yeah, it was crazy spending that much time on the boards, but I say, if you dig something you have, why not show it some love?

Show Image

That said, I sold the black one, and kept the white one just to use as backup these days (the ergo'd one) and barely use it. I kind of miss the black one.

that switch profile is really sleek. damn. really really nice
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2519 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 14:34:07 »
I remember a few months ago I bought a board from eBay that was brand new with Green Alps and PBT keys. I ended up swapping out the Greens and selling the board though because I didn't much like the layout. My Greens are now in a broken NeXT until I get them desoldered and I have a SHARP X68K with them too. Greens are more common in Japan in my experience.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2520 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 14:35:34 »
I remember a few months ago I bought a board from eBay that was brand new with Green Alps and PBT keys. I ended up swapping out the Greens and selling the board though because I didn't much like the layout. My Greens are now in a broken NeXT until I get them desoldered and I have a SHARP X68K with them too. Greens are more common in Japan in my experience.
what board was it? green alps and pbt caps are intriguing.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2521 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 14:36:47 »

Microterm 5510.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2522 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 14:44:05 »
@blaise since you mentioned X68000, that NMB dome with slider variant has only the case identical to the Alps one, right?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2523 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 14:47:45 »

Microterm 5510.
eww I can see why you didnt like the layout. Even I dont think I could get used to that.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2524 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 15:30:44 »
So I have a bit of news to report concerning the Alps SKCM (tactile) Green switch in relation to Alps SKCM Brown:

I finally tried doing some spring swaps, and I took a linear green spring, the lightest from the complicated Alps family, and swapped it into the SKCM Green housing.
Unfortunately, much like the SKCM Brown, the actuation force was not significantly reduced.

Note that this was done with pine SKCM Green, which is very similar to SKCM Brown.

• SKCM Browns were around 75 g to bottom out, 80g to consistently bottom out.

• SKCM Greens were around 70 g to bottom out, and 75g to consistently bottom out.

• SKCM Brown and pine SKCM Green have the same consistent bottom out force, at 80g. Retested to be sure. 75g gets them down at times, and even 70g for Greens, but 80g always gets them both down.

• With the SKCL Green spring, which is around 50g, the total force to bottom out the SKCM Green switch was not reduced.

With that said, I think that it's the leaf shape itself that makes the weight stiffer. Like SKCM Brown, lighter springs had no real effect.

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 July 2016, 15:36:48 by E3E »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2525 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 17:36:00 »
I found this for you guys.

https://www.elecshopper.com/index.php/input-devices/keyboards.html?p=1

Missed out on the $150 SSK but whatever.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2526 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 17:39:02 »

yeah, thats cindy from deskthority's store. instead of selling things by list, she made it all first come first serve. keep an eye out on there. she always finds cool stuff.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2527 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 22:57:11 »
What do you guys think of the idea of just swapping my FK-3001 w/ SKCM Blue? Doesn't cost anything...
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #2528 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 00:07:21 »
What do you guys think of the idea of just swapping my FK-3001 w/ SKCM Blue? Doesn't cost anything...

Go for it if it's what you're itching for. Really not sure what I'd swap blues into on a vintage level. AEK, Wang, Zenith ZKB-2... Ehhh, nothing really comes to mind. I'd say Omnikey, but I'm personally not a big fan of those boards, design wise (nor am I a fan of the Wang, but I think it's more unique and likeable :P).   

Anything with a metal back, like the NTC 6151, so on the off chance you have one with white Alps, haha... Nah.

The 3001 works  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2016, 00:08:59 by E3E »

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #2529 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 00:25:00 »

I've been eyeing one of the Wyse terminal boards on there with green alps. Nubbinator looked at a while back. Pretty nice blue an beige doubleshots, but I wouldn't know what to do with that 10 pin connector :(

My Classifieds Thread

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2530 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 00:53:43 »

Guess it wouldn't hurt, just don't hurt the board cause old Focus's are lovely.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2531 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 01:49:52 »

Guess it wouldn't hurt, just don't hurt the board cause old Focus's are lovely.
I won't hurt it ;) Looks too damn good. That board overall came out the best out of any of my keyboard restorations. And ive done it, my Model M, My SGI and my old AEKII and my Compaq G80.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2016, 01:51:35 by Mattr567 »
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2532 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 11:34:11 »
I don't know why people think that Focus vintage keyboards are handsome. I think that they are kind of goofy-looking. If I didn't want to use an Omnikey, I would use a black Dell AT101W case and put pearl/pebble keys on it. In fact, I have done that, twice.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E3E

« Reply #2533 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 11:46:28 »
I've been eyeing one of the Wyse terminal boards on there with green alps. Nubbinator looked at a while back. Pretty nice blue an beige doubleshots, but I wouldn't know what to do with that 10 pin connector :(

I wonder what the protocol is. It might take more work than it's worth. Not sure if that's blue on the caps though.

I used to want one of these but then lost interest.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2534 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 11:48:00 »

I wonder what the protocol is. It might take more work than it's worth. Not sure if that's blue on the caps though.

Im gonna be picking one up from wingpad, sans switches. Ill post pics and try and update you guys.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2535 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:03:56 »
I don't know why people think that Focus vintage keyboards are handsome. I think that they are kind of goofy-looking. If I didn't want to use an Omnikey, I would use a black Dell AT101W case and put pearl/pebble keys on it. In fact, I have done that, twice.
Matter of taste, I guess :p . I genuinely think they look fantastic, so elegant and stylish.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2536 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:30:04 »

It is a proprietary Wyse protocol and it is blue on the switches:

There are a bunch of pictures of the board Mike is getting here.

All in all it's an interesting key board, just not my style.

I would use a black Dell AT101W case and put pearl/pebble keys on it. In fact, I have done that, twice.
This, on the other hand, sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures?
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:32:38 by Wingpad »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2537 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:31:10 »
I agree, but only for the early....foci? :) They are sleek and clean, with just enough of eccentricity with that strip on the top.

Later ones are simply too noisy, and bulky looking. Volvo could pull it off, but not Focus :) And the ones with the calculator......shudder!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2538 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:35:55 »
I just picked up a Matias Tactile Pro from Massdrop's sale, and I'm appreciating its feel and clacky loudness.  :thumb:

Offline E3E

« Reply #2539 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:44:13 »
It is a proprietary Wyse protocol and it is blue on the switches:
Show Image

There are a bunch of pictures of the board Mike is getting here.

All in all it's an interesting key board, just not my style.

On the caps? Yeah, that is really strange. Seeing just the legends alone, I would've never imagined that they were blue. Can you see the color vividly in person? Maybe better lighting there would help illustrate the color and contrast more clearly.

I agree, but only for the early....foci? :) They are sleek and clean, with just enough of eccentricity with that strip on the top.

Later ones are simply too noisy, and bulky looking. Volvo could pull it off, but not Focus :) And the ones with the calculator......shudder!

I certainly like the Focus FK-555's style at least.

But the black FK-2001 is pretty amazing, to be honest.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2540 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:48:27 »
On the caps? Yeah, that is really strange. Seeing just the legends alone, I would've never imagined that they were blue. Can you see the color vividly in person? Maybe better lighting there would help illustrate the color and contrast more clearly.
It's hard to tell in person although that might be just because these caps are very yellowed :(

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2541 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 14:53:21 »
Does anyone know why an Alps switch wouldn't actuate?

Let me be more specific. I have a board with SKCM white switches, and they were scratchy and binded. So I decided to clean it. I opened up all the switches, blew air in them, cleaned them with isopropanol, and finally lubed the slider and top switch casing with PTFE. Now there are a couple of switches not working consistently. Most irritating is the T key, which didn't work at all. I opened it up, and I can get it to actuate when pressing the contact leaf, but I have a feeling that it is not always (I'll need to compare with a fully working switch). I think that pressing the contact tab "up" also helps. So I'd guess it's something mechanical and not chemical in nature. But I don't know what - is it the solder joints, the contact leaf at the top, something else? Did anyone experience anything similar?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2542 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 14:57:05 »
But the black FK-2001 is pretty amazing, to be honest.
I'm SO ANGRY I let that one slip, I should've taken out a loan for it, I think I wouldn't've regretted it xD .

Does anyone know why an Alps switch wouldn't actuate?
Have you tried a continuity test with a multimeter?

Also, how much lube did you use?

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2543 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 15:12:24 »
I tried to use as little as possible, but I didn't get the one with the brush, and had no brush in the house  :)), so I used the spray with a straw to very lightly lube the slider part of the switch housing.

In any case, I reassembled the switch five times right now, and it seems that after some persuasion of the contact tab with a finger, I got it working consistently. I shook the board hard, and still works. Four more switches left - F4, Caps lock, ;: and /?. Only the last one of these consistently doesn't actuate.

Edit: It seems that slider is too far from the contact tab. I get consistently more success pressing keys from bottom side and pushing them up, as opposed to just pressing them down directly. The exception is the F4 key, where i need to press it from the top side down, but it only makes sense, since F keys on the board have contact leafs on the bottom side of the switch.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2016, 15:28:47 by alh84001 »

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #2544 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 15:40:03 »
just tried this thing out, the feel on this thing!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2545 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 15:43:33 »
alh84001: you probably either (a) bent the little metal leaf that presses on the contacts out of shape, or (b) reassembled the switch improperly.

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2546 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 16:15:27 »

what keyboard is that if you don't mind me asking?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #2547 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 16:23:44 »

what keyboard is that if you don't mind me asking?

its a monterey k108 with blue smks

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2548 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 16:33:50 »
oh nice, i'm typing on blue SMKs in a chicony kb-5181, love them (probably my favourite clicky switch as i have not tried any clicky alps yet :p)

Offline emdude

« Reply #2549 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 16:36:16 »
I still would like to try Monterey SMK Alps mount switches at some point, the impression I get of them is that they are better Alps switches than even SKCM Whites or later simplified clicky Alps/clones.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK