Author Topic: Review: HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, HHKB Pro 2, and Hypersphere's silencing rings  (Read 13188 times)

Offline the_marsbar

Background: In December 2015 I read an article about George Hotz and his self-driving car. A video was attached to the article, in which I spotted his keyboard. I didn't recognize what it was, so I had to look it up. It turned out it was a HHKB Pro 2. I had to learn more about this keyboard. The more I read about mechanical keyboards, the more I wanted to try one out. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who owns a mechanical keyboard, so I had to just do a lot of reading. I read so many reviews, and spent quite a lot of time investigating this world, which at the time was new to me.

After a lot of reading and watching videos on YouTube, I decided to order a HHKB Pro 2 Type-S from Japan (February 2016). Around the same time I discovered some of the mechanical keyboard communities, the one on this website, and I was really drawn in by the amount of knowledge available, and the attention to detail when it comes to mechanical keyboards. A few days after receiving the Type-S I was already hooked. It was so nice to type on compared to the rubber dome and scissor switch keyboard I had previously used (I primarily use Macs). At first I thought it would be fine to just have the keyboard at home, but it quickly turned out that I needed one at the office too (I got used to the "weird" layout much quicker than I thought, and it started feeling really natural). I ordered the second keyboard (March 2016), a HHKB Pro 2 (in black, with blank keys), a HHKB bag, set of coloured keycaps (blue ESC/red Ctrl), and an extra set of blank white/grey keycaps (the Type-S had lettered keycaps). Eventually I started looking for colored keycaps, and I ended up getting some blanks (thanks RoastPotatoes and martinyeah/HKP), which I think look really cool. I would really like a pink set of blank RealForce keycaps, but I realize I was too late to the game. Hopefully at some point, some blank colored keycaps will be available again. I was also not aware of matt3o's very cool PBT spacebar project, so I managed to miss that too (here's hoping for another round in the near future).

After having used both keyboards for a while, switching between the Type-S and the black board at the office, I realized I actually preferred the muffled sound of the Type-S. I read a couple of threads about silencing, and became interested in trying it out. Fast forward to yesterday, where I installed the silencing rings that I got from Hypersphere. So far I really like the result, I highly recommend it. They keyboard is not exactly as silent as the Type-S, but it's really close. I'm not sure which one I prefer. I guess time will tell.

In case anyone's interested, I made some recordings of me typing on the Type-S and the regular Pro 2 (both before and after silencing it). I used the built-in microphone of a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, and I made two recordings of each board (one with the keyboard on top of the built-in keyboard of the laptop, and one one the left side of the laptop). I was typing the same text (more or less) on all the boards, and I ended each recording with three taps on the awesome left shift key (which is one of my favourite sounds). I attached a .zip-file with the recordings to this post (.mp3-files created using LAME).

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Review: HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, HHKB Pro 2, and Hypersphere's silencing rings
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 19:16:54 »
Interesting review. Do you like the HHKB? Have you used other keyboards?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 02:50:05 »
I like it a lot :)

I've used other keyboards, but mainly cheap rubber dome keyboards (incl. all the bad Apple keyboards). I'd like to try keyboards with ALPS (I've read good things about those) and Cherry MX (not sure what to expect) switches to compare against the Topres. As mentioned in the first post, I bought my first HHKB (and mechanical keyboard) after watching the George Hotz video about his self-driving car.

Recently I also bought a NovaTouch TKL, because they are discontinued, and I wanted to try one. I like it quite a lot, but I prefer the smaller size of the HHKBs :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 06:35:57 »
I like it a lot :)

I've used other keyboards, but mainly cheap rubber dome keyboards (incl. all the bad Apple keyboards). I'd like to try keyboards with ALPS (I've read good things about those) and Cherry MX (not sure what to expect) switches to compare against the Topres. As mentioned in the first post, I bought my first HHKB (and mechanical keyboard) after watching the George Hotz video about his self-driving car.

Recently I also bought a NovaTouch TKL, because they are discontinued, and I wanted to try one. I like it quite a lot, but I prefer the smaller size of the HHKBs :)

Be prepared to empty your wallet ;-) I started with the Filco Majestouch TKL 2 with MX Browns. Out of curiosity and to see "what them boys are talking about over there" I bought a board with MX Clears (KUL ES-87), a HHKB 2 Pro black, then white, and the Realforce 87U black 55g uniform.

It's addictive! And I'm more of a no-nonsense best quality board I think I got user. I'm not particularly into collecting (except for macintosh and tulip... nostalgia).

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 07:30:18 »
What's you favourite of those boards?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 19:16:44 »
I'm tied between the HHKB and the 87U. For some reason, I like the layout of the HHKB more. But I like the metal mounted Topre on the 87U more. It feels SO solid. Like the Apple keyboards of the 80's. Between MX and Topre... I like MX Clears most of Cherry MX and it is difficult to decide what I like more: MX Clears or Topre. Of Topre, I like 55g most. It is the best balance between resistance and actuation force. But MX Clears have a whole different feel to them.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 07:45:30 »
Great, thanks for that. I might want to try the MX clears one day then :)

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 07:00:00 »
Thanks for your detailed review!

Offline squeakypizza

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 07:01:45 »
Thanks so much for this!  Funny enough, I too found out about HHKB's due to the video about GeoHotz's Comma ai.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 09:00:24 »
You are welcome. I'm glad you like the review. The sound files should help when determining whether to silence a HHKB Pro 2 or not, or even go with the Type-S.

Funny with the interview. PFU should pay him for advertising their keyboards :)

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 09:15:50 »
Thanks for the review. Especially for the direct comparison of the HHKB2 vs the Type-S. I am looking into buying *some* version of an HHKB in the near future, but haven't yet decided which route I will go. Is the Pro really that much louder than the Type-S? I am primarily worried about annoying my partner when I program at home in the evening (I have a small place, so we are usually in the same room doing our own respective tasks in the evening). I've been considering the BT version too (which I assume in akin to the HHKB Pro 2, and not the Type-S), but I guess for the extra $$, I'd rather the Type-S over wireless, assuming the Type-S is really even worth the extra $$.

As for the layout, I'm curious as to your profession... Are you a programmer? I am wondering what the programming experience is like using the HHKBs. Especially with the various missing dedicated keys (I often Ctrl+Arrow to navigate between words, and Home/End to get to ends of lines); of course this can be down via Fn key-combos, but I'm wondering just how natural it really is to do so.

Thanks!

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 05:31:48 »
I'm glad you like the review.

I'd say the Pro 2 is considerably louder than the Type-S. Of course it also depends on how you type on your keyboards. It's possible to type rather quietly on a Pro 2 I'd say.

As far as I know, there is no Type-S version of the HHKB BT (has it even been accounced?). A Pro 2 with Hypersphere's rings is almost as quiet as the Type-S, so you could install the rings in the BT if you want wireless + quiet.

I'm a PhD student (signal processing). I program in MATLAB (some people probably wouldn't call that programming), a bit of Python, and I write papers using LaTeX.

I really like the layout. The arrow keys available through Fn + the diamond feels quite natural to me using my right pinky for the Fn-button and another finger for the arrow keys (similarly for the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys). I take notes in Emacs, where I rarely miss the arrow keys (I don't use it for LaTeX - yet).

I have a Novatouch TKL at home as well (also with Hypersphere's rings installed), but I prefer the HHKB. I like that I don't have to move my right hand to use the arrow keys and the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys, compared to the Novatouch.

A nice thing about the HHKB is that it fits perfectly on top of the computer that I use (MacBook Pro pre-touchbar).

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:01:58 »
I'm glad you like the review.

A nice thing about the HHKB is that it fits perfectly on top of the computer that I use (MacBook Pro pre-touchbar).

Do you have a 13" MBP? I have a MBA (13", duh-- haha) and was wondering if the HHKB would saddle perfectly over my current keyboard (without the feet hitting buttons on the MB's keyboard underneath). It sounds like perhaps this would be the case? This would be ideal for programming in crowded coffee shops, where the only space allotted to me, is just enough space for the footprint of my MB itself.

As for LaTeX being called "programming," I can't comment, as I've never dealt with it. I do see it pop up in the recommended posts when I am researching issues on StackOverflow though, so I'd say it's at least half-programming. ;)   Python is legit programming though! I'm still hankering for a review from a full-time programmer, but your input has been helpful (specifically that regarding the arrows and Pg Up/Down).

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:27:54 »
I didn't mean that LaTeX is programming (I'd say not) - I was referring to MATLAB :)

My computer is a 15", but I tried using the keyboard with an 11" MBA as well, without issues. I have placed some tape on the four corners of the bottom of the HHKB, such that it doesn't hit the keyboard of the Mac (I wrote about that here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81816.msg2168694#msg2168694).

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 10:02:09 »
I didn't mean that LaTeX is programming (I'd say not) - I was referring to MATLAB :)

My computer is a 15", but I tried using the keyboard with an 11" MBA as well, without issues. I have placed some tape on the four corners of the bottom of the HHKB, such that it doesn't hit the keyboard of the Mac (I wrote about that here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81816.msg2168694#msg2168694).

Ah-- so slight modification is required, but it seems totally doable. Thanks so much for the link! That will be helpful should I pull the trigger on an HHKB2. :)