geekhack Community > Keyboards

Kailh Box Brown Silent- rather disappointed

<< < (6/8) > >>

Volny:
Yep, less spring ping and slightly less stem wobble. Sounds good.

Volny:
Thanks for the advice, HungerMechanic!

My Boba U4s came today. I was initially disappointed to find them a little gravelly still (though not as bad as the zilents, and with far less stem wobble). But after lubing and sticking some longer springs in them (that's all I had, which is perhaps just as well as they seemed to improve things), I'm quite pleased with them. The graveliness has all but gone, and they feel very nice - indeed much like a gentler panda. I've got some at 65g and some at 45g and both feel very good so far.

I might pick up some outemu silent sky stems anyway, for frankenswitching. I think it's going to get increasingly hard for me to enjoy non-cushioned switches from now on, so I may be tempted to convert some of my existing switches.

By the way, is there such a thing as a 'silent' clicky switch? (This would only be an oxymoron because of the word "silent"; actually, a switch with a loud tactile click at actuation but a nice soft landing at bottom-out would be great)

Leopard223:

--- Quote from: Volny on Fri, 30 July 2021, 04:45:54 ---Thanks for the advice, HungerMechanic!

My Boba U4s came today. I was initially disappointed to find them a little gravelly still (though not as bad as the zilents, and with far less stem wobble). But after lubing and sticking some longer springs in them (that's all I had, which is perhaps just as well as they seemed to improve things), I'm quite pleased with them. The graveliness has all but gone, and they feel very nice - indeed much like a gentler panda. I've got some at 65g and some at 45g and both feel very good so far.

I might pick up some outemu silent sky stems anyway, for frankenswitching. I think it's going to get increasingly hard for me to enjoy non-cushioned switches from now on, so I may be tempted to convert some of my existing switches.

By the way, is there such a thing as a 'silent' clicky switch? (This would only be an oxymoron because of the word "silent"; actually, a switch with a loud tactile click at actuation but a nice soft landing at bottom-out would be great)

--- End quote ---
NovelKeys are launching muted Jades in August, unsure how silent it will be compared to the traditional silent ones but from the short demonstration Iíve seen on IG, it seems quite tolerable.

HungerMechanic:

--- Quote from: Volny on Fri, 30 July 2021, 04:45:54 ---Thanks for the advice, HungerMechanic!

--- End quote ---

Glad you were able to get U4 up-and-running! Sorry to hear about the initial 'graveliness,' I always thought they were fairly smooth unlubed.

But yes, lubing and spring improvement helps. They do seem to prefer medium and long springs, in my experience, particularly Spirit springs which are medium. And long springs at lower weights. How did you manage to get it working at 45 G lol

Silent Sky is definitely less-tactile than U4, a 'P' bump instead of a 'D' bump, but they work in all sorts of housings. So you could convert Cherry or TTC etc... housings to use them. TX springs work best with these, I think, unless you are going low like 55 G Spirit.

Leopard223 beat me to it, but yes, the silent BOX Jades are what everyone is waiting for. I've always said that an ideal tactile switch for many would be something with a small-but-crisp silent 'click' followed by cushioning. Silent Jade is a step towards that, they just need something in-between BOX White and BOX Jade tactility for a more general silent light clicky.

Faceman76:
I'm curious what size spring and click bar will be used.  Firmer springs give box Navy a deeper sound. 

Not that there is a whole room to add material, but mass damping the enclosure itself will lower the resonant frequency and lower the SPL outputed by activating the switch.

Different materials could help as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version