Author Topic: [GB] Oceanographer 45% Keyboard // GB Closed - Test PCBs in Route to Prototypist  (Read 74622 times)

Offline Hedgey

Where to purchase this keyboard:

SEPTEMBER 1st at 10AM CDT!!

275554-0
275556-1

Video of Jae from TopClack building his prototype and the wonderful things he has said about this board!

Oceanographer is a Premium, 45% layout keyboard that is heavily influenced by 2 of my favorite boards; The Pearl and The Minivan.

Oceanographers Feature List:

* Minivan Inspired Layout with Multiple Bottom Row Options (1.75U Backspace)
* 2 Piece Aluminum Case with 4 mounting points and alignment pills
* 3 Degree Typing Angle
* .5U Blocker to separate arrow keys
* Top Mount
* Brass Plate and FR4 Plate with 6 mounting points
* Large Brass Weight with artwork by Brooke aka Meatsmoothies
* Ship Wheel Engraving on Top Backside
* STM32 Diode-Less PCB with ESD protection designed by Taylor
* Center Mount USB-C
* Rotary Encoder
* OLED Screen
* Speaker
* Indicator LEDS between Q, W, and E similar to the Minivan

Layout Options

COLORS AVAILABLE - Jet Black, Ocean Blue, Rose Gold, Forest Green, and Ursula Purple

275585-2

Here is the album of prototypes:

Custom Resin Knobs will be available for $10USD Each

275588-3
275590-4
275592-5
275594-6
275597-7
275599-8
275601-9

FAQ

• How much will this board cost? - A full base kit will be $350 USD.  Any add-ons such as extra PCBs, or plates will be available at an additional cost.
  • What is the expected lead time? - Expected Ship Date is Q2 2022
  • What is included in the Base kit? - Case in your color choice, Brass and FR4 Plates, Brass Weight, PCB, Rotary Encoder, Rotary Knob in Silver Metal, OLED and additional case hardware.
  • How much does this board weigh? - Fully built just over 5lbs with switches and keycaps.  With GMK Keycaps multiple prototypes weighed in at 5.05lbs or 2290.65g
  • Will this board have RGB? - No.  I wanted this board to be more “elegant” and as such we left RGB off this version.
  • Will Ortho be available? - No. The 1.75U backspace makes this a little more difficult and we don’t plan on this being available at this time.
  • Will there be custom knobs available in the GB? - Yes, they will be $10 USD each and colors are finalized above as they will match the case colors of the boards.
  • What colors will be available? - Jet Black, Ocean Blue, Rose Gold, Forest Green, and Ursula Purple
  • What Plate Options are available? - Brass and FR4 will be the only options during GB.  After the GB ships to the buyers we will post the plate files for you to have other options available to source on your own such as aluminum, copper, etc...
  • What Keycap Compatibility will I need for this? - Any Base + 40’s kit that includes a 1.75U backspace will fit this board.
  • Will there be any limited editions or founders editions? - No.  I hate the idea of falsely inflating supply/demand due to special editions.  The only “Founders Editions” are those that were in the prototype run and they have a small designation on the weight to signify that.
  • What Vendors are you using? - Aeternus Decorum and Prototypist

Thank you for looking at this and I am excited to finally bring this board to reality with all of you!

-Hedgey
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 March 2023, 12:07:52 by Hedgey »
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline pears

• Sneezing is painful
Re: [GB] Oceanographer 45% Keyboard // GB September 1st - September 17th
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 14:55:19 »
👀
Getting punched in the face was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 15:46:20 »
So good to see this project come to fruition! Glwgb

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline tsquash

• SquashKB
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 16:31:56 »
glwgb hedgey!

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 19:41:44 »
Had the pleasure of seeing one of these at a meetup. They’re FANTASTIC. highly recommend to anyone on the fence. That weight is HEAVY and I love every bit of it. Best of luck hedgey!

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 20:25:58 »
I had the honor of being invited to a prototype run of this board, and it was nothing short of fantastic! I sent my personal prototype to be built live on stream and the community loved it so much that I submitted it as a giveaway :] Check out the stream. A quick note on the GB runners, they are great community members who have been around for a good while and have ample  experience in the 40% world. They will take care of you for sure. Best luck!

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 08:53:29 »
I had the honor of being invited to a prototype run of this board, and it was nothing short of fantastic! I sent my personal prototype to be built live on stream and the community loved it so much that I submitted it as a giveaway :] Check out the stream. A quick note on the GB runners, they are great community members who have been around for a good while and have ample  experience in the 40% world. They will take care of you for sure. Best luck!

Thank you my friend!!  Can't wait to have your new designs in my hand soon.   :p
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 10:03:20 »
We're live officially!!!

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 10:34:45 »
Let's gooooooo!

Offline ARSLOCK

• CarolinaMech.com
    • Carolina Mech
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 12:29:27 »
Saw this board in person this weekend, very solid and nice design. Good luck with the GB!

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 12:36:45 »
Saw this board in person this weekend, very solid and nice design. Good luck with the GB!

Appreciate it buddy!  Your collection is insane!  Thanks again and look forward to more meets in the future!

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 15:25:15 »
My first sub 60 board joined! And what a beauty too :D

Offline surplusofchairs

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 16:40:34 »
got a rose old one with some knobs. very excited for this

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 09:20:10 »
My first sub 60 board joined! And what a beauty too :D
Thank you for the support!!
got a rose old one with some knobs. very excited for this
Awesome to hear, thank you so much!

Numbers are doing well and I appreciate everyone who's bought in, it means the world to me!

Offline huahin_nat

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 11:56:14 »
What is the indicator LED for, how to use?
also is there a guide to how to use the OLED?

I just bought one! first sub 60 as well!!

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 13:33:14 »
What is the indicator LED for, how to use?
also is there a guide to how to use the OLED?

I just bought one! first sub 60 as well!!

The Indicators LEDs can be used for whatever you want, but I use them for layers or you can use them to signify CAPS, SCROLL, etc...

There will be a guide or at least some of us in the 40's giving animations for the OLED.  It's a little complicated and some of us are using QMK to program them.

And thank you for the support and glad to have you.  What color did you get?

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 12:24:17 »
7 Days left!  Halfway to our soft limit for processing in the US.  Prototypist still has plenty of order spots left!

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 09:07:14 »
What does "compatible with QMK and Via" mean? Full via support on release, or will we need to load a JSON?

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 11:27:13 »
What does "compatible with QMK and Via" mean? Full via support on release, or will we need to load a JSON?

It will have full VIA support on release.  But for the encoder, you will need to upload a QMK Hex file on the board first. 

Also, less than 24 hours left, and I appreciate the support from everyone!  Thank you so much for your trust and I can't wait to get boards in your hands.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 14:53:01 »
GB Closes tonight at 12am CDT.

Thanks everyone!

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 06:17:36 »
How’d we go, how many units sold?

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 09:19:00 »
How’d we go, how many units sold?

Still tallying up the final numbers and getting ready to order everything in the next week or so.

We did well though and I expect production to go smoothly!

Offline ShandonCodes

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 12:40:20 »
Had to miss out on it this time. Hoping for an R2!

Offline tskiller

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 14:10:43 »
Damn, I regret not paying attention to this hobby more. Hopefully there will be extras or R2!

Offline elizabeetle

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 21:38:21 »
Curious what size the knobs will be? I'm looking at having one made for this board.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 09:54:37 »
Curious what size the knobs will be? I'm looking at having one made for this board.

Hey there!  I never saw this and I apologize immensely!!  The largest part of the outside diameter is 14mm.

Thanks!

Offline Hedgey

Re: [GB] Oceanographer 45% Keyboard // GB Closed - CNC Work Wrapping Up
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 09:55:02 »
Quick and dirty 2022 update!

The Boards are done with CNC and are getting ready to move to Anodization shortly!

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 00:31:25 »

The Boards are done with CNC and are getting ready to move to Anodization shortly!

excitement in check, but still growing. How is the ano process going?

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 13:05:08 »
Update for Today:

1. Covid is wrecking China right now if that wasn't completely known.  Slowing down production in all factories everywhere.
2. Oceanographer is getting things packed up.  Even with the ability to work hampered, they are still packing these boards.
3. I will have an updated ship date and ETA for both Aeternus and Prototypist in the next few weeks.

Appreciate the patience, especially as we decided to sell a board during Covid and world supply chain slowdowns and issues.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 13:07:16 »

excitement in check, but still growing. How is the ano process going?

Offline clackeys

• Clackeys
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 14:30:13 »
Who should we email about address changes in the US?

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 10:15:22 »
Who should we email about address changes in the US?

Hey there, I don't know if anyone said anything yet, but you can DM me directly and I can get the change noted for you with your order #.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 10:16:14 »
The boards have finally shipped from the Manu and are on their way to their destinations at Prototypist and Aeternus. 

Update in the next week or 2 on actual shipping time to customers!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 27 May 2022, 04:04:15 »
This looks very nice I have to say, so cute.
However, I wanted to ask - how do you guys use 40-45% keyboards - I can barely use 60%. So everything else, numbers row, F row, its all hidden in multiple layers? Isn't this a bit of masochism? :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 May 2022, 09:16:09 »
This looks very nice I have to say, so cute.
However, I wanted to ask - how do you guys use 40-45% keyboards - I can barely use 60%. So everything else, numbers row, F row, its all hidden in multiple layers? Isn't this a bit of masochism? :)

Hey there!  Yes most of everything is on a layer, however those layers can be set up in a way that makes sense for each individual user.  I find that stretching my fingers on a 60% or larger board to be uncomfortable and I barely move my hands on my 40's for anything related to numbers, symbols, or F row. 

I believe you'll find the same from most 40's users when it comes to why they use smaller boards.

Offline Hedgey

Quick update:

Cases have arrived for fulfillment in the US.  Should be arriving at Prototypist soon as well.

QC and shipping in the near future!

Offline mudcakehoney

Hey any word on shipping? sorry it's been a wee while and keen for an update if poss :)

Offline Mecxs

Updates are only being posted in discord for some reason.

In short, there are delays are there's no clear date / timeline.

From Oceanographer channel on 40s discord (9 August 2022):

Oceanographer

- Cases have arrived to Hedgey and have all been QC'd per my specifications.
- PCBs are shipping very soon.
- Remaining hardware is en route.
- Carrying cases: see below.

Aeternus x Ringer Keys Carrying Cases

- Cases are en route to myself and Ringer Keys.
- Cases were completed months ago but due to a miscommunication between myself and the factory, they were not shipped.
- ETA is some time in August, unfortunately as they were shipped via sea freight I don't have strong arrival times until they clear US customs.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it

Here we go again...

Every thread starter should always remember, and above all respect, the rules of this forum:
It is requested to post an update at least monthly, even if there is no progress in manufacturing.
(https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115197.0)

But I see that it is a losing battle and the moderators of this forum do not care ...
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline Hedgey

Here we go again...

Every thread starter should always remember, and above all respect, the rules of this forum:
It is requested to post an update at least monthly, even if there is no progress in manufacturing.
(https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115197.0)

But I see that it is a losing battle and the moderators of this forum do not care ...

Probably because forums are antiquated as hell, and remembering to update this thread with no activity is a task compared to posting in my discord channel in 40’s.  I have a life outside of this forum and keyboards, but anyone who knows me, also knows I have the cases in hand, weights in hand, and I’m waiting on PCBs, and additional hardware, including the carrying cases.  As soon as everything arrives shipping will begin immediately.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2022, 18:20:39 by Hedgey »

Offline Mecxs

Probably because forums are antiquated as hell, and remembering to update this thread with no activity is a task compared to posting in my discord channel in 40’s.  I have a life outside of this forum and keyboards, but anyone who knows me, also knows I have the cases in hand, weights in hand, and I’m waiting on PCBs, and additional hardware, including the carrying cases.  As soon as everything arrives shipping will begin immediately.

Really? So it's the forum's fault that you haven't updated here?

Seriously - nobody cares if you just forgot to update the thread, but playing it off like you're SO busy that you couldn't open a bookmarked link to this thread and copy-paste your discord updates here is just embarrassing. It's 30 seconds of time, and it's a token of respect to people who came across your board on this forum and want to get updates here. The forums weren't "antiquated as hell" when you were advertising your GB here, it's a basic human courtesy to actually provide regular updates here, too.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
man uses a 40 how can you expect him to write in bbcode without brackets

Offline Hedgey

Re: [GB] Oceanographer 45% Keyboard // GB Closed - Cases Arriving for Fulfillment!
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 09:02:43 »
Latest updates:

Still waiting on any type of answer from Taylor at Aeternus.  I have not heard from him in 1 month now.

Here is what remains to be collected before we can ship:

PCBs
Carry Cases
Rotary Encoders
Aluminum Knobs
OLEDS
Case Screws

If I could I would purchase the Encoders, Knobs, and OLEDS myself.  (I may still do that honestly) Taylor has the funds for all of this and I'm stuck trying to figure out when the hell I can deliver these boards to you.  It's not a good feeling to have them sitting here in my house as cases and weights, but literally nothing else with them at this time.  I'm also recognizing that I may have to take some drastic measures on my own to complete this GB by myself at this point.

I say all this to let you all know I sincerely appreciate your continued patience as I never saw this GB taking a full year to fulfill.  You WILL get your boards.  And if you don't want them anymore and want to immediately sell them I completely understand that as well.  This has not been the process I thought it would be and I sincerely apologize for the continued delays.  Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

-Hedgey
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2022, 09:04:51 by Hedgey »

Offline zebus

Re: [GB] Oceanographer 45% Keyboard // GB Closed - Cases Arriving for Fulfillment!
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 14:38:34 »
That’s sucks. Taylor/aeternus is setting on top of a lot of other group buys right now besides your own, dude is in a position to screw over a lot of people..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 20 September 2022, 15:06:43 »
I spoke with Taylor late this evening.

PCBs and Carrying Cases - Taylor is finding out the status on these ASAP.  2 of the biggest remaining items for sure and he will work on getting those to me and Jae pronto.

Rotary Encoders, Aluminum Knobs, OLEDs - Taylor is sending me the funds necessary for me to order these and get them to my house ASAP to pack and ready up for shipment with the boards.

Case Screws - Taylor is shipping them to me this week.  He actually had these from me from a long time ago but ended up needing to ship them back to me.

Shipping Boxes - Taylor is sending funds to me for the boxes and I will be ordering these as well.

This helps sort some of the main issues out and can give us a more clear timeline on shipment of the boards ASAP.

Offline antsinyourpants

Any updates?

Offline Mecxs

12 October
@Oceanographer

Good morning everyone.  No update since the last time I spoke with @Taylor .  However he is supposed to be connecting with me today for further updates on PCBs, Cases, etc...

Sorry I don't have more at the moment, but I know it's been a few weeks since I last updated the group.

13 October
@Oceanographer

Taylor and I did, in fact, speak last night over the phone.  Here is the important parts that you all care about:

Carry Cases - Still in transit over the ocean via shipping container.  Won't know more until they hit the port and we get updated tracking information with timelines

PCBs and FR4 Plates - Taylor has requested and update from the company making them trying to find out if they have officially shipped or not.  Will update more once he knows more.

OLEDs, Encoders, Aluminum Knobs- Taylor should be transferring money directly into my bank account this afternoon.  As soon as it hits I will order all of these parts and get them shipped to me ASAP.  Should be relatively quick as they are all from US based sources.  The only one in question might be the OLEDs which we could get from overseas.

Case Hardware - Taylor grabbed those out of his storage unit and will be shipping those to me this week as well.

That's the update.  Taylor is definitely dealing with some personal items as well as being swamped with work, but he is motivated to finish out the remaining projects for Aeternus so he can take a break for a little while and decide if he wants to come back into Keyboards after that.  He is NOT ghosting and our discussion was almost 1 hour long last night.  He knows there are people who are more than willing to help anywhere we can and I have faith we will get this project wrapped up soon.

Thank you again for your continued patience!

18 October
@Oceanographer

Money is in the account and will be available to me tomorrow.  I will be able to order remaining parts and at least take care of that end.

Hopefully update on PCBs soon. Stay patient 😉

19 October
@Oceanographer Apologies for the 2nd ping in as many days....

But I ordered the Encoders, metal Knobs, and OLEDS today.

All that's remaining is getting case screws shipped and pcbs and carry cases ETA.

Appreciate it as always, especially around your continued patience!

19 October
@Oceanographer a short and simple update:

A bunch of these arrived this morning via DHL!  Scratch another item off the list!
(Image of rotary encoders)

27 October
@Oceanographer another item off the list!

Hoping to hear from Taylor soon regarding PCBs

EDIT: OLEDs are in transit and I will ping when they arrive next week as well

(Image of knobs)

Offline antsinyourpants

Thank you so much! Much appreciated.

Offline Hedgey

Thank you so much! Much appreciated.

Well Mexcs covered most of the discord updates.

As it stands today:

Taylor has the carry cases in hand.  Need to figure out best way to ship them to me so I can have them and ready for packaging.  Saw the pictures from Taylor on Saturday night.

Remaining Items for me:

PCBs (Still waiting on what's going on with these)
Case Screws (Taylor should ship when he ships carry cases)
Shipping Boxes (Easily handled once I have carry case measurements)

Jae and I are syncing tomorrow on what else is needed on his end for anyone that ordered from Prototypist.

Offline Takaoster

Sort of sad I missed out on this, always wanted to get my hands on a 40% sort of thing