Author Topic: If you are looking to learn how to design a board, where do you start?  (Read 4198 times)

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Hey all!

For a long time now I have been brainstorming different designs for keyboards and I think I found it, although while I have 2 years of experience with photoshop I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations or can help me out?

Offline controller-works

• Controller.works

Offline jetjagaa

• Giga-Robo
Bit of a dive in head first approach, but if you're like me and find the process starting in KiCad a little intimidating, or if you find the macropad tutorials leaving you with more questions, I'd recommend finding an open-source PCB design and going through the project to see how it works. I did that with the Arisu and it was it was really helpful.

EDIT: KiCad's libraries already have MX switches at the ready, so switch placement is extremely simple.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2022, 10:13:50 by jetjagaa »

Offline NebulousKeys

I have been teaching myself how to 3d design in fusion 360 and while it has not been a quick or clean process, I have found it very fun. If you are really passionate about it, I recommend taking a few measurements of a PCB you want to use and designing the case around that. You can also look at keyboards that you find interesting or relate to your design for inspiration. Also be sure, when designing the case, to write down every single measurement. Wall widths, filet, typing angle, and other stuff like that will be necessary for general consistency when working on a project that may take months. Those are just the main things I would have liked to be told when I started my design process.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
If this is a stroke at making a physical instrument that you will actually use regularly with your own hands, you should ensure that you know and understand the feel of those devices that already exist so that you are starting from a point of knowledge and don't waste time chasing down dead ends.

However, if it is more of an "art project" then forget that altogether and see how the concept of "keyboard" could be stretched and expanded.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline controller-works

• Controller.works
I recommend taking a 'baby steps' approach. Take an existing open source design and then try to change it in one way that you like and get it to work. Then make one more small change, etc. If you are stuck making even one small change, then investigate that specific area until you can get that to work. If you try to do too much all at once you will not be successful.

Offline NamesReed

• 40 enjoyer, Cheapskate.
Re: If you are looking to learn how to design a board, where do you start?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 12:59:32 »
I just went through this about 6 months ago. The links that other users have provided are very helpful. Start off with making a simple 3x3 macropad in KiCad. Do all your traces, and probably start off with a pro micro footprint as opposed to all SMD components. This will give you the basic understanding of how to build a board without a lot of the tough to understand bits. Once you do that, you’ll feel a lot more comfortable designing whatever it is you’d like to. Baby steps are key as others have pointed out.
IDK man, be positive, kind and caring.