Author Topic: [GB] OSAv2 - PC Alice w/ MX and Topre PCBs - In Production  (Read 17426 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
[GB] OSAv2 - PC Alice w/ MX and Topre PCBs - In Production
« on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 13:57:41 »
OSAv2
by
Viktus Design

Specifications:

• OSAv2
    • Top mount using the TGR plate outline
    • Polycarbonate case
    • Sandblasted brass or E-Black plate/weight
    • 7 degree board angle
    • Type-C PCB (topside)
    • MX PCB with inswitch LEDs and RGB underglow
    • Topre PCB with multiple layouts and switch housing options
    • Other plate options available
    • ~1.5 Kg w/brass plate

• OSAv2 Numpad
    • Top mount
    • Polycarbonate case
    • Sandblasted brass or E-Black plate/weight
    • Designed to sit next to the main board and fit exactly with the bezels and sizing.
    • 7 degree board angle
    • Type-C PCB (topside)
    • MX PCB with RGB underglow and reversible layout (2U's on left or right)
    • Topre PCB with multiple layouts and switch housing options
    • Other plate options available
    • ~0.44 Kg w/brass plate

Where to buy:

BUY HERE

Dates and Timeline:

• GB opens September 12th @ Noon CDT
• GB closes September 30th @ Midnight CDT or when the human limit is reached

• Shipping estimated for Q2/Q3 2023

• Note: I will be leaving the plates/PCBs open for the full period of the buy even if the main board surpasses the human limit. This is to allow anyone to order parts without the need to be competing with everyone.

Pricing and Options:

• Color options:
    • Clear PC with sandblasted brass plate, and weight
    • Clear PC with e-black brass plate, and weight

• Parts Included:
    • Board w/weight
    • Brass plate of matching finish to the weight (e-black or sandblasted)
    • MX or Topre PCB
    • Screws and silicone feet

• Pricing:
    • OSAv2:
        - Sandblasted Brass: $485
        - E-Black Brass: $498
    • OSAv2 numpad:
        - Sandblasted Brass: $255
        - E-Black Brass: $260

• PCBs:
        - MX PCB: $45
        - MX numpad PCB: $30

- Topre PCB: $60
        - Topre numpad PCB: $40

• Note: Boards include PCB/Plate of switch choice, so you can have MX or Topre included by default and you are not forced to buy MX or Topre if you only desire one option.
    • Note: Topre PCBs come with the hardware kits, plates do not.

• Wrist rests:
    • For OSAv2:
        - Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry): $58
        - Black Walnut: $58

• Carrying Case:
    • For OSAv2: $30
    • Custom machined foam insert to fit the board, numpad sadly won't have a case.

• Plates:
    • MX OSAv2 and OSAv2 Numpad: (1.5mm or 1.6mm for FCF)
        - Sandblasted Brass
        - E-Black Brass
        - Forged Carbon Fiber

• Topre OSAv2 and OSAv2 Numpad: (1.2mm)
        - Sandblasted Brass
        - E-Black Brass
        - Limited to metal plates as the plates require tapped holes for assembly purposes.

• Quantity:
    • OSAv2:
        - MOQ: 35
        - MAX: Limiting the quantity to what I can handle. Not a set number but if orders pile in too quickly I may close orders in order to prevent me from being overloaded.

• OSAv2 numpads:
        - MOQ: 8
        - MAX: Limiting the quantity to what I can handle like the main board. If too many numpads get ordered I may close numpad orders before the main buy separately.

• There is not a hard limit per person, but please do not do "mini GB" size orders. (aka don't proxy for a region without my prior approval)

• Shipping:
    • Shipping will be calculated at checkout. For international orders shipping at checkout might say USPS but shipping will actually be via UPS or DHL depending.

Pictures and Sound:

• Wrist rests: (actual product photos)

More
1) Jatoba aka Brazilian Cherry

2) Black Walnut

• OSAv2 Render album
   Album

• Here is a quick sound test: https://voca.ro/1hWK35sC96w0
    • R2 RGB build lubed with 204g0, using Des #3 rings and Des V1 blue domes. PBT keycaps.

MX OSAv2 Layouts:

More

• The MX OSAv2 PCB supports all layouts shown above.
• The mirrored left spacebar layouts (with the 2U or 2.25U on the right with the 1U or 1.25U on the inside instead) requires a separate plate from the non-mirrored spacebar layout and will be available as an option. This is nicknamed the vMatt as a friend commissioned pcbs made with those mirrored and others liked the idea so it continues to be offered.
• PCB also supports Alps in said layouts, no plate made available.

MX OSAv2 Numpad Layouts:

More

• The MX numpad PCB supports all layouts shown above.
• The plate can be flipped to change which side the 2U switches are on so only a single plate is needed for either numpad layout. (obviously excluding the ability to do all 2U options shown at the same time).
• PCB also supports Alps in said layouts, no plate made available.

Topre OSAv2 Layouts:

More

• The topre OSAv2 PCB supports all layouts shown above.
• Each plate is fixed layout due to mounting and making sure the housings stay in the right locations.
• Support for "normal" topre housings from R1/R2 boards, as well as R2 RGB housings will be available as plate options. Buyer must decide which and make sure to buy the corresponding plate.
• All plates only support split right shift, the 2.75U shift is PCB only as it would require at minimum 4 more plates to be added and therefore costs would increase for everything.

Topre OSAv2 Numpad Layouts:

More

• The topre numpad PCB supports all layouts shown above, but is subject to change depending on how feasible the layout options are and interest levels.
• Multiple plate options will be available for housing support as mentioned prior ("normal" and R2 RGB). Currently RGB is limited to all 1U as the stabilizers aren't supported with the wire inboard due to the housing design and an outboard wire would interfere with the case.

PCB Support:

• PCBs will be QMK/VIA/VIAL compatible.

• All alice PCBs with topside USB Type-C that use the "standard" alice pcb outline for fitment.

• As well the MX PCBs available in this buy will work with cases that also support the above.

• Topre PCBs may not work in all cases as the PCB/plate/switch assemblies are 0.95mm taller and therefore move the PCB and USB down said amount. This requires the case to have the room designed into it for said difference. I can't confirm support outside the OSA (v1 or v2) cases as I don't have a collection of every alice to test with.

Topre Support:

• The PCB is designed to work with both R1/R2 "normal" topre housings/sliders (the typical black housings with topre mount sliders) and novatouch (given they use the same plate cutouts as R1/R2), as well as R2 RGB topre housings/sliders with their own plate.

• "Normal" and RGB require separate plates for compatibility but function identically, it just opens up the option for what the buyer decides they would rather use for a donor and what parts.

• For donor boards, only a single TKL is needed to support both the OSA and numpad depending on the layout (limited by 2U/stabs). So you can get away with a single donor board or deskeys housings/sliders/springs if those are available at the time of building (2u housings not out and springs not available from them yet, but niz does sell theirs on taobao)

• NiZ housings/sliders will not be supported by the included plates for multiple reasons. The main reason is I have had their 2019 sliders crack ePBT caps stems and would rather not advocate for their parts in case that issue is still present and I don't want customers to be mad because I made it an option. So you are going to have to make your own plates for this if you desire NiZ at your own risk/discretion. Another reason is they require yet another plate cutout that is unique from "normal" and RGB and instead of offering everything and increasing costs I am also hesitant. The last reason is their 2021 revision product page still uses everything from the 2019 product page without a single revision so that makes me warry that they actually changed anything instead of just updating the year to make it seem updated/new.

Special Thanks:

• OneCreativeMind for the help, feedback, and inspiration along the way. As well as helping fund the original round of prototypes.
• Matt for the massive amount of help with the PCBs and firmware, without you this literally wouldn't be possible.
• jrfhoutx for your help with prototypes and the MX/Alps numpad PCB as well.
• keebnewb for helping with firmware guidance and quick turnaround on test firmware modifications.
• Olivia/OJ for the renders with amazing turnaround time.

FAQ:

• How does the plate support R1 and R2 housings? Aren't they different? R1 and R2 "normal" topre housings are the same, confirmed with measurements in hand.

• Can you release the files so I can 3D print it? No.

• Will there be an aluminum version? At the moment there isn't plans for it as the original OSA was aluminum and I wanted to do PC for v2 for a few years now.

• Can I get a dyed PC case? The buy is limited to the options mentioned here, no others will be available.

• Are deskeys housings supported? Yes, they use the same plate cutout as R1/R2 "normal" topre so therefore are supported.

• Why didn't you make it use a daughterboard? Because the point was to allow support for other PCBs/plates in my case as well as support for my parts in other cases as much as possible.

• Can you do an aluminum weight to save money? That won't help things as much as you expect them to, aluminum weights don't shave much cost.

• Can you add ISO support? The alice stagger makes it impossible to do it in ISO, the enter doesn't sit right and therefore would leave massive gaps and be missing a switch entirely. This is why there is no ISO alice board.

• Why does the topre numpad not support 2U zero? Due to limitations with mounting, sizing, and routing needed for the PCB to function properly, there is no possible way for me to include this as an option unfortunately.

• Could you make the numpad use a different angle? As it is meant to be a companion to the main board, I would prefer it be kept looking identical to the main board rather than making it an entirely different product.

• RGB? MX has RGB, Topre will not.

• Can you make it hotswap? No. Making a hotswap PCB isn't just throwing a socket on the PCB and calling it a day. Hotswap requires a fresh restart for almost the entirety of the routing and therefore is a massive time commitment. Plus not everything needs to be hotswap, please stop asking everyone on every board without thinking about what you are actually asking the designer(s) to do.

• Will there be other topre plate options like POM/PC? As mentioned above, Plates need to have threads tapped and therefore metal will be the only option. I am limiting to a single material for now to make logistics easier given how many plate options there needs to be already. Yes it is possible to do an entirely different setup using very small standoffs so no threads have to be tapped but that would over complicate an already complicated GB due to options. You can explore other materials on your own.

Updates:

To follow the project you can keep up with this thread, my website Viktus.Design or via the Viktus Design discord server where I will be most active.

Discord invite: https://discord.com/invite/4w6aUKb
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2023, 20:37:33 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline FistfulOfPaintballs

Re: [GB] OSAv2 - PC Alice w/ MX and Topre PCBs - GB Opens September 12th
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 13:29:59 »
yes

Offline Woovie

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 13:32:37 »
let's fricken goooo

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 13:33:14 »
• Can you make it hotswap? No. Making a hotswap PCB isn't just throwing a socket on the PCB and calling it a day. Hotswap requires a fresh restart for almost the entirety of the routing and therefore is a massive time commitment. Plus not everything needs to be hotswap, please stop asking everyone on every board without thinking about what you are actually asking the designer(s) to do.
Based

Very excited that we're finally in the era of custom topre

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 13:37:36 »
can I get a hotswap topre pcb with a pom plate, thank you

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 13:48:06 »
i wonder if i can yeet that pcb into my police

otherwise i guess i will keep letting it collect dust lmao

its usb c sadge
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2022, 13:53:11 by Krelbit »

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 13:57:34 »

its usb c sadge

Nothing a dremel can't fix >:D

Offline dexie

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 14:11:49 »
Must not miss it!
ISO Life

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 19:00:25 »

its usb c sadge

Nothing a dremel can't fix >:D
Taking a dremel to a police seems like a great idea
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 19:05:28 »
Making a hotswap PCB isn't just throwing a socket on the PCB and calling it a day. Hotswap requires a fresh restart for almost the entirety of the routing and therefore is a massive time commitment.
so there's these little things called mill max sockets...
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 19:13:38 »
Making a hotswap PCB isn't just throwing a socket on the PCB and calling it a day. Hotswap requires a fresh restart for almost the entirety of the routing and therefore is a massive time commitment.

There is indeed, but my point still stands, those aren't installed at the manu level. People can add millmax sockets but that will not be available during GB, that is the entire point of that sentence.

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 20:00:57 »
so there's this little thing called reading comprehension...

Offline clickpig

• naisu naisu naisu
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 21:55:53 »
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ gib topre

Offline sicatron

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 06:07:06 »
Me trying to explain to my SO why this is the end game Topre I need...right after finally getting her on board with the Heavy Grail.

Offline eczactly

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 14:44:03 »
will topre be sold to those who don't participate in cults?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 16:23:17 »
will topre be sold to those who don't participate in cults?

I have no idea what this is a reference to...

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 20:23:09 »
Update:

Added a note to the OP:

I will be keeping the plates/PCBs/extras up for the full GB period to allow everyone who might just want parts/extras ample time to decide and checkout without the need to compete with those going for the board spots.

As well I wanted to mention there is not a hard limit per person, but please do not do "mini GB" size orders. (aka don't proxy for a region without my prior approval)

Offline leuke-naam

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 05:48:09 »
Will you sell the Topre PCBs and plates separately or only in combination with a case?

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 18:58:34 »
Glad to be able to help out with my little part. :)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 14:45:32 »
GB Soon:

GB opens next monday at noon CDT!!!

The prototype topre pcb was my daily for the past month and was an amazing experience, unfortunately it got damaged at a meetup so the USB is no longer attached  :( Testing showed no issues and I hope everyone is as excited as I am to get one of these in hand and have an amazing daily or show piece.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Re: [GB] OSAv2 - PC Alice w/ MX and Topre PCBs - GB LIVE!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 12:02:00 »
GB LIVE:

BUY HERE

Open until September 30th at midnight CDT.

OSAv2 and the numpad may close earlier depending on sales volume but all extras will stay up the full time period. The extras do not require a keyboard to be purchased.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 September 2022, 18:56:40 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline Woovie

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 19:27:04 »
Hell yeah! ordered, this will be amazing :thumb:

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 18:55:02 »
Reached MOQ:

BUY HERE

OSAv2 and the numpad have both reached MOQ and therefore the boards will be made!!!

Obviously there is still time left in the buy period but thank y'all for the support so far and I am so happy to see this years long dream finally become a reality for everyone!!!

Offline xjack312

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 21:24:00 »
Congrats! Looking forward to it!
Alice enjoyer

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 22:06:10 »
Reached MOQ:

BUY HERE

OSAv2 and the numpad have both reached MOQ and therefore the boards will be made!!!

Obviously there is still time left in the buy period but thank y'all for the support so far and I am so happy to see this years long dream finally become a reality for everyone!!!

Topre Alice is alive! can share the Topre vs. MX split?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 22:29:06 »

For the option selected to be included with the kit, 10 topre per 1 MX (This doesn't include the extras or numpad). Fairly obviously people wanted the board for topre which is great!

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 01:57:40 »

For the option selected to be included with the kit, 10 topre per 1 MX (This doesn't include the extras or numpad). Fairly obviously people wanted the board for topre which is great!
WOW! that is fantastic, never thought I see the day Topre outnumbers MX in anything hahaha Congrats!

Offline sicatron

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 12:21:13 »
Would you be willing to post a video of a type test on the Topre variant? I keep adding everything to cart then backing out lol. I'd feel more confident if I could at least see a demo.

And btw thank you for supporting Topre on this GB. You're a true pioneer. Long live the rubbreh domeh!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 16:09:48 »
Would you be willing to post a video of a type test on the Topre variant? I keep adding everything to cart then backing out lol. I'd feel more confident if I could at least see a demo.

And btw thank you for supporting Topre on this GB. You're a true pioneer. Long live the rubbreh domeh!

Unfortunately at a recent meetup the USB was ripped off of the PCB so the proto is down functionally. I could take a short video of me just typing on the board without a typing test at all if that makes a difference.

Offline sicatron

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 21:08:26 »

Unfortunately at a recent meetup the USB was ripped off of the PCB so the proto is down functionally. I could take a short video of me just typing on the board without a typing test at all if that makes a difference.

If it’s not too much of an hassle, I’d appreciate that! Sorry to hear about the proto mishap.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 17 September 2022, 13:17:14 »

If it’s not too much of an hassle, I’d appreciate that! Sorry to hear about the proto mishap.

Here is a quick typing test of the board. It is fairly quiet so be prepared for that.

https://imgur.com/a/vSwkOp8

Offline sicatron

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 17 September 2022, 20:12:44 »

Here is a quick typing test of the board. It is fairly quiet so be prepared for that.

https://imgur.com/a/vSwkOp8

It sounds great! I think I’m on board, although I’m still undecided on the numpad. How much does the sound differ going from aluminum to PC?  I presume you don’t have the v2 case on-hand?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 14:29:25 »
It sounds great! I think I’m on board, although I’m still undecided on the numpad. How much does the sound differ going from aluminum to PC?  I presume you don’t have the v2 case on-hand?

Sound shouldn't change at all. Assuming you build with silencing rings it should be identical no matter what, and without rings I believe it should be identical as well but haven't tested to know for sure. (I prefer silencing rings personally so that is how I built the proto and I don't have enough parts to do a second built just to test that difference)

And you are correct on the last question.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 24 September 2022, 18:39:01 »
Final Week:

BUY HERE

Only one week left, we are over MOQ for all products so everything will be made.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Re: [GB] OSAv2 - PC Alice w/ MX and Topre PCBs - FINAL HOURS
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 13:23:43 »
Final Hours:

BUY HERE

GB closes tonight at midnight CDT!!!

Offline keebnewb

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 23:35:30 »
Excited to try out alice topre!  :)

Offline Define

Re: [GB] OSAv2 - PC Alice w/ MX and Topre PCBs - In Production
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 08 February 2023, 21:51:44 »
Ah dam, been out of the game for a while... just missed this 😭😭😭 
I have 3 topre boards, split layout topre was always a dream but nobody made one