Author Topic: Why do I not feel like the HHKB is superior?  (Read 23842 times)

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
Why do I not feel like the HHKB is superior?
« on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:29:26 »
Well, okey, I'll admit it, the title isn't too appropriate, but it's a play on my last thread "WHY is the HHKB superior?" :p
I've now had my HHKB Pro 2 for maybe a month or so, and I just simply don't like it. I just can't fall in love with it. And I can't really figure out why. I like the layout 'n all that, but I still can't get myself to like it. Whenever I type on it, it just feels awkward. I thought it was just me having to get used to it, and so I've kept using it, but to no avail. What bothers me the most is the height/keytravel.
However, all mechs have a farther travel than the traditional RB, so maybe it's the mechanical switches in general that I don't like? Maybe all I need to do is change my keycap profile to DCS or something, who knows!

Anywhoo, I'm now considering to sell my HHKB Pro 2 and get something else. To venture deeper into the dungeons of mechanical keyboards! Anyone got some advice for a still pretty new newbie, who wants to learn even more? Where to start?
I kinda want to see if it's the HHKB in particular, or mechs in general that I don't like O_o
What do you guys say? A poker 2 with some custom caps (preferably DCS), a ducky tkl, or maybe even a choc mini?
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:34:37 by Sagii »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Why do I not feel like the HHKB is superior?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:30:47 »

Because you're wrong?

:)) :)) :))
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sagii

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:32:40 »

Because you're wrong?

:)) :)) :))

Touchè, mein freund.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:34:40 »
I don;t like it either. You're not weird.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Sagii

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:41:25 »
I don;t like it either. You're not weird.

Good to hear :)) But I can't figure out if it's 'cause I don't like mechanicals, or because I don't like the HHKB (not expecting you guys to answer that question for me). That's why I want to dwelve deeper :D

Offline cphead

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:43:37 »
You haven't tried any of the cherry mx switches? Although if you don't like the travel after a month maybe you're destined to use scissor switches =p

Offline jameslr

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:45:06 »
That's the reason I sold mine. I could never get used to the layout. It had its advantages, but I still strongly prefer a standard US ANSI TKL.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:46:03 »
Topre is very much a love it or hate it sort of thing. Disliking Topre does NOT mean that you don't like any mechanical boards, it just means that you don't like that particular switch. Try something like a Model M or Cherry Blues if you get the chance, you might like those.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:50:12 »
MX master race
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:51:46 »
The simple answer is that everybody has a different preference...Gonna go with JD on this one though and say you're wrong  :))
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Sagii

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:57:16 »
That's the reason I sold mine. I could never get used to the layout. It had its advantages, but I still strongly prefer a standard US ANSI TKL.

Thing is.. I got used to the layout :p I actually really like the layout :))

The simple answer is that everybody has a different preference...Gonna go with JD on this one though and say you're wrong  :))

Good thing this is a forum where free speech is a known human right! :)) No, but seriously, I was hoping I was wrong for a long time :p

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 13:59:55 »
it is because you're not joining the Thorpe-side strong enough
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:05:59 »
The simple answer is that everybody has a different preference

Agreed.

I learned that the hard way.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:06:53 »
Welcome back thimplum! How's it going dude? ;D
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:09:48 »
Haha, pretty well. How about yourself?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Sagii

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:11:17 »

Agreed.

+1.. I did however take a shortcut and jumped straight to the "goodies". I just knew I wouldn't ever be satisfied till I tried topre, so I went there first. Now that I know it's really not to my preference I've kinda excluded one of those you just "have to try". :))

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:12:45 »

Agreed.

+1.. I did however take a shortcut and jumped straight to the "goodies". I just knew I wouldn't ever be satisfied till I tried topre, so I went there first. Now that I know it's really not to my preference I've kinda excluded one of those you just "have to try". :))

Have you tried 55g Topre though? I hated (and still do hate) 45g, but 55g is the best switch I've typed on.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:13:25 »

Agreed.

You should take a break from it. Try MX, Alps, buckling springs, etc. Use those for like a year. Then come back to the HHKB. See if your opinion has changed.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sagii

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:13:45 »

Agreed.

Have you tried 55g Topre though? I hated (and still do hate) 45g, but 55g is the best switch I've typed on.

... you shut your mouth. I don't want to spend another 250 bucks!
But in all seriousness; the 45g topre feels too "snappy" at times. And common sense tells me the 55g might be even worse when it comes to that.. but who knows. I can't ever know for sure, unless I try it  :confused:

Agreed.

You should take a break from it. Try MX, Alps, buckling springs, etc. Use those for like a year. Then come back to the HHKB. See if your opinion has changed.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm planning atm. We'll see what I end up doing. My reasoning, however, is that if I can't learn to love a keyboard that I've spent 275 bucks on, not even after 1-2 months of constant use, then it probably isn't for me :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:18:13 by Sagii »

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:23:37 »
The layout on hhkb is great if you can get used to it.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Sagii

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:26:28 »
The layout on hhkb is great if you can get used to it.

As I've said before, I really like the HHKB layout, so it's not that.

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:55:45 »

Agreed.

... you shut your mouth. I don't want to spend another 250 bucks!
But in all seriousness; the 45g topre feels too "snappy" at times. And common sense tells me the 55g might be even worse when it comes to that.. but who knows. I can't ever know for sure, unless I try it  :confused:

Agreed.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm planning atm. We'll see what I end up doing. My reasoning, however, is that if I can't learn to love a keyboard that I've spent 275 bucks on, not even after 1-2 months of constant use, then it probably isn't for me :))

Try a lube/dental band mod? I've never gone back to my rf 45g after getting a modded fc660c

Offline osi

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 15:03:54 »
A great sage by the name of eth0s once pointed out an important detail about the hhkb. The name is actually "happy hacking keyboard professional 2".

Noobs need not apply

:D <3

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 15:10:04 »
This is why there are so many choices on the market. You don't have to like the HHKB Pro 2; there is nothing wrong with you if you don't like it.

In my own case, I like the HHKB Pro 2 so much that I bought three of them: one of my home office workstation and two for the two workstations at work. To me, the combination of the 60% form factor, styling/design/symmetry, and the incredible intuitive/efficient layout combine to make a superb keyboard. But is it perfect? No, of course not. On the other hand, there aren't many things I would want to change about it. However, if I could make some changes, here is what they would be:

-- 55g switches.
-- Metal plate.
-- USB-C or micro-USB connector.
-- Bluetooth option.

In my case, I think I would also go for the Type-S option, which already exists, but I do wish they would lower the price for this option.

I also had a Leopold FC660C, but I gave it away because I did not like the layout or keycaps.

I currently have a RF 87 u 55g. I like some things about it better than the HHKB (such as the 55g switches and its more solid sound and feel, probably because of the steel plate), but I switched back to the HHKB Pro 2 because its form factor and layout are more important to me than the other factors.

My other favorite is an IBM XT keyboard that I refurbished and converted to USB with Soarer's Converter. I love the capacitive buckling spring switches and dye-sub PBT keycaps of the XT along with its rugged solid build. But after using it for a while, I always seem to come back to the HHKB Pro 2.

To each his/her own!

Offline Sagii

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 15:33:21 »
This is why there are so many choices on the market. You don't have to like the HHKB Pro 2; there is nothing wrong with you if you don't like it.

In my own case, I like the HHKB Pro 2 so much that I bought three of them: one of my home office workstation and two for the two workstations at work. To me, the combination of the 60% form factor, styling/design/symmetry, and the incredible intuitive/efficient layout combine to make a superb keyboard. But is it perfect? No, of course not. On the other hand, there aren't many things I would want to change about it. However, if I could make some changes, here is what they would be:

-- 55g switches.
-- Metal plate.
-- Bluetooth option.

In my case, I think I would also go for the Type-S option, which already exists, but I do wish they would lower the price for this option.

I also had a Leopold FC660C, but I gave it away because I did not like the layout or keycaps.

I currently have a RF 87 u 55g. I like some things about it better than the HHKB (such as the 55g switches and its more solid sound and feel, probably because of the steel plate), but I switched back to the HHKB Pro 2 because its form factor and layout are more important to me than the other factors.

My other favorite is an IBM XT keyboard that I refurbished and converted to USB with Soarer's Converter. I love the capacitive buckling spring switches and dye-sub PBT keycaps of the XT along with its rugged solid build. But after using it for a while, I always seem to come back to the HHKB Pro 2.

To each his/her own!
I really like the form factor.. especially now that I've got a gamepad as well ^^ that's why I'm strongly considering getting a poker 2 + I like the Pn layer. I'm also considering the fm660c (that's mx, right?), so that I can get stock clears (qtan), but I'm not sure yet!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 16:10:19 »

-- 55g switches.
-- Metal plate.
-- Bluetooth option.

To each his/her own!
I really like the form factor.. especially now that I've got a gamepad as well ^^ that's why I'm strongly considering getting a poker 2 + I like the Pn layer. I'm also considering the fm660c (that's mx, right?), so that I can get stock clears (qtan), but I'm not sure yet!
The mx version of the Leo board is the FC660M. I have one with mx blues, but I do not like it much. The FC660C with Topre 45g switches seems infinitely better to me, and because of its steel plate, it sounds and feels more solid than the HHKB Pro 2. But among all the Topre boards I have tried thus far, I still prefer the HHKB Pro 2; it has the best combination of features. I am typing on one now that has a black case, black mods (including a black spacebar), and white alpha and number keys -- it looks great and works well for me. However, I am looking forward to trying the CM Novatouch to see how it compares with the other Topre switch boards on the market.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 17:12:30 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58499.0

Such deja vu.

Very memory.

So search.

Wow!

:p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 17:29:11 »
I don't know what the prices look like for your region, but I still recommend the same thing I recommended when you were first looking for boards:

Make/mod your own! Pick up a cheap decent quality TKL (QFR comes to mind) and get some clears, some blacks, and some lube.  I like to make mini-switch testers on my boards by modding the F-Row (I rarely use anything beyond F5) 

They come in nice 4-key clusters - perfect for switch testing.

When I bring my ducky to work, sometimes I unplug it just to run across the F-Row and re-assure myself that ghost blacks and modded clears are my favorite MX switches.

Also, not sure if it's still going on but I know Sprit had a GB for korean springs.  I recommend 62g, 65g, and then another of your choosing (or just those two).

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 21:01:30 »
Great reverse necro thread

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 22:06:50 »
it's ok
i say ew to topre everytime i press one

i'm sorry it's just me :P

Offline Sagii

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 00:23:39 »

Offline Sagii

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 00:45:48 »
I don't know what the prices look like for your region, but I still recommend the same thing I recommended when you were first looking for boards:

Make/mod your own! Pick up a cheap decent quality TKL (QFR comes to mind) and get some clears, some blacks, and some lube.  I like to make mini-switch testers on my boards by modding the F-Row (I rarely use anything beyond F5) 

They come in nice 4-key clusters - perfect for switch testing.

When I bring my ducky to work, sometimes I unplug it just to run across the F-Row and re-assure myself that ghost blacks and modded clears are my favorite MX switches.

Also, not sure if it's still going on but I know Sprit had a GB for korean springs.  I recommend 62g, 65g, and then another of your choosing (or just those two).

I'm definitely considering doing that ^^ you still praise the ghost blacks and panda clears?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 01:03:47 »

I also do not really like the layout. Well, I like it because it looks fantastic, because it is small and centered. But the layout is just not for me, even though I understand others really like it.

The profile of the HHKB is not really that much different to many other keyboards. If that is the thing bothering you, then that probably has to do with you using a lower profile keyboard or keycaps before. Despite what some people claim (about peripherals feeling like instant upgrades) most of the time we are most comfortable with whatever we have been using for a long time. Because muscle memory and overall familiarity with one keyboard, switching to another will not always instantly feel better. Even if that old keyboard was a rubber dome and the new one is a fancy Topre keyboard.

For me, part of what makes the HHKB feel "not special" is the lack of a metal backplate. I am not saying it needs one, just trying to put my finger on why the feel of the HHKB , for me, is slightly worse than some of its competitors.

Kind of amazing that you just got into keyboards and went with the HHKB as your very first one.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 01:06:52 »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 01:30:34 »
HHKB TYPE S

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 01:36:17 »
I would recommend the Leopold FC660M with Clears. It has dedicated arrow keys, is plate mounted, etc. One problem for aftermarket caps is the stabiliser stems on the spacebar are not in the standard position, so you either have to find a set with universal / Leopold mounts or modify the spacebar by moving the mounts yourself. Also, the left middle modifier is 1x and the right Shift is 2.25x, same as the left.

If that sounds like too much of a hassle, then the Poker II with Clears is my next recommendation. Completely standard layout and programmable :D You can fit ANY Cherry MX compatible keycap set on it, except those specifically designed for weird layouts like the G80-1800. Also compatible with most 60% cases and other accessories.

Then get some nice Cherry profile keycaps for it, from the upcoming GMK HyperFuse Group Buy perhaps. GMK makes top quality doubleshot Cherry profile caps (they actually use Cherry's own molds that they bought from them).

P.S. - Are you using a palm rest? Is your chair high enough / desk low enough (so your upper arms are straight down, lower arms at about 90 degrees or lower)? The higher profile of a mechanical board requires a few changes to your desk / chair setup to get the best out of it. I honestly don't think key travel is the main issue here, and it's possible the HHBK isn't either. It makes a world of difference getting the arms / hands / fingers at the right height / angle. Most people have their desk too high, chair too low, keyboard at the wrong angle, not using a rest that keeps the palms / wrists high enough, etc.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 01:48:48 »
Leopold 750R

Offline Sagii

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 02:02:35 »
I would recommend the Leopold FC660M with Clears. It has dedicated arrow keys, is plate mounted, etc. One problem for aftermarket caps is the stabiliser stems on the spacebar are not in the standard position, so you either have to find a set with universal / Leopold mounts or modify the spacebar by moving the mounts yourself. Also, the left middle modifier is 1x and the right Shift is 2.25x, same as the left.

If that sounds like too much of a hassle, then the Poker II with Clears is my next recommendation. Completely standard layout and programmable :D You can fit ANY Cherry MX compatible keycap set on it, except those specifically designed for weird layouts like the G80-1800. Also compatible with most 60% cases and other accessories.

Then get some nice Cherry profile keycaps for it, from the upcoming GMK HyperFuse Group Buy perhaps. GMK makes top quality doubleshot Cherry profile caps (they actually use Cherry's own molds that they bought from them).

P.S. - Are you using a palm rest? Is your chair high enough / desk low enough (so your upper arms are straight down, lower arms at about 90 degrees or lower)? The higher profile of a mechanical board requires a few changes to your desk / chair setup to get the best out of it. I honestly don't think key travel is the main issue here, and it's possible the HHBK isn't either. It makes a world of difference getting the arms / hands / fingers at the right height / angle. Most people have their desk too high, chair too low, keyboard at the wrong angle, not using a rest that keeps the palms / wrists high enough, etc.

Sooo many options :confused: :)) But hell, that's what I like! But yeah.. The three main options I'm considering (AS OF RIGHT NOW, it'll probably change, me knowing myself) are poker 2, CM QFR and the Leopold FC660M with clears. If I buy the Poker2/QFR I'll probably buy them in blacks (as Defect said), and mod them with clears, that way I can try quite a few different versions of the switches. The Poker 2 has never existed with clears, except from massdrop, right?

And I love how the hyperfuse set looks, but I also noticed the granite set on massdrop, which is also awesome. But when it comes to the profile, the cherry is low profile, and DSA (granite) is slightly higher, right? I also know there's a difference in the "tops" form as well ^^' I just like how the granite looks in terms of profile and how they are sculpted :o

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the ergonomics. But yeah, I believe you're right, my setup is by no stretch of the imagination optimal. But I've tried wristrests and changing my positions, height etc., and I haven't really felt any increase in comfort.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 02:06:41 by Sagii »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 02:52:34 »
Lubed 62g MX Clears = bliss.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Magna224

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 05:58:28 »

This is not a bad idea. When I first stared getting keyboards my first were MX brown and MX Clear and Blue ALPS. The blue ALPS I loved straight away. The other two I didn't really like or find any interest in the switches so I sold them. After trying all of the common cherry switches, buckling springs, more ALPS, and topre I realized that the MX clears with the MX brown spring from the very beginning were the most suitable switches for my regular keyboard! What I didn't like to start turned up being what I liked the most after gaining all of the experience of other switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 06:03:47 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 06:18:14 »
And I love how the hyperfuse set looks, but I also noticed the granite set on massdrop, which is also awesome. But when it comes to the profile, the cherry is low profile, and DSA (granite) is slightly higher, right? I also know there's a difference in the "tops" form as well ^^' I just like how the granite looks in terms of profile and how they are sculpted :o

Got it backwards.  Cherry is higher than DSA.  DSA's also uniform with all the caps at the same height.  With Cherry, most of the rows have a different profile so you get a contoured profile instead of a flat one. 

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_profile
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_DSA_family

Offline Sagii

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 06:20:49 »

Got it backwards.  Cherry is higher than DSA.  DSA's also uniform with all the caps at the same height.  With Cherry, most of the rows have a different profile so you get a contoured profile instead of a flat one. 

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_profile
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_DSA_family

Ahh, alright.. cheers, mate. I read about the online, but I obviously got it all mixed up. Good thing I asked :))

Offline cheesedgrate

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 09:49:08 »
I really, really, really love my HHKB but for some reason I wouldn't probably recommend it to anyone as their first mechanical keyboard. It is so understated and smooth that I feel like you really have to have used MX for some time to truly appreciate it. Don't get me wrong, I still break out my Filco with Blues from time to time but I instantly fell in love with my HHKB when I got it around 5 months ago. It is such a pure and beautifully understated experience compared to Cherry MX, in my opinion.

I'd say that you shouldn't sell your HHKB. You might really regret it later. Get a reasonably priced Cherry MX keyboard and try it for a while and try the HHKB again after that. You might surprised about your reaction.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:01:26 »

I really, really, really love my HHKB but for some reason I wouldn't probably recommend it to anyone as their first mechanical keyboard. It is so understated and smooth that I feel like you really have to have used MX for some time to truly appreciate it. Don't get me wrong, I still break out my Filco with Blues from time to time but I instantly fell in love with my HHKB when I got it around 5 months ago. It is such a pure and beautifully understated experience compared to Cherry MX, in my opinion.

I'd say that you shouldn't sell your HHKB. You might really regret it later. Get a reasonably priced Cherry MX keyboard and try it for a while and try the HHKB again after that. You might surprised about your reaction.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying here, but I'm no position of having the luxury to buy several boards at once :)) I'm a fresh student at uni, mate!

Anywhoo, I believe I haven't mentioned this anywhere in this thread yet; the keycaps on the HHKB feels way too slippery.. there's no "grip" to it. I tried some ABS caps on a Razer BW, and they felt better in terms of that, even though they felt more plasticish and cheap.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:03:02 »

Yeah, I understand what you're saying here, but I'm no position of having the luxury to buy several boards at once :)) I'm a fresh student at uni, mate!

Anywhoo, I believe I haven't mentioned this anywhere in this thread yet; the keycaps on the HHKB feels way too slippery.. there's no "grip" to it. I tried some ABS caps on a Razer BW, and they felt better in terms of that, even though they felt more plasticish and cheap.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:03:55 »

Offline osi

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:05:45 »
The stock keycaps that come with the HHKB are not slick to me at least.  Actually I'd say there is a fair amount of texture on the keycaps. Arguably the best stock caps that can be received on a board

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:12:25 »

The stock keycaps that come with the HHKB are not slick to me at least.  Actually I'd say there is a fair amount of texture on the keycaps. Arguably the best stock caps that can be received on a board
what about the old cherry keyboards, or the thick pbt pokers? *cries*

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:13:11 »
tapatalk screwed up ;-( sorry!
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:23:52 by frosty »

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:13:50 »
tapatalk screwed up ;-( sorry!
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:23:39 by frosty »