Author Topic: Looking for 75% or Tkl keyboards  (Read 2072 times)

Offline LemonJR

Looking for 75% or Tkl keyboards
« on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 07:46:14 »
Hello everyone, I’m quite new to this hobby. I would like to ask if there are any good 75% or TKL keyboards that are under 300 USD? I liked the e7v2 and sat75 but they’re a bit too expensive, so currently I’m looking for TKL’s too. I don’t mind if it’s an ongoing/upcoming group buy, or even if it ended, given that I can get one around this price on mechmarket.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: Looking for 75% or Tkl keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 11:03:04 »
GMMK Pro fits what you're wanting.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 11:25:10 »
What is your definition of good? There are very few keyboards I would pay anywhere near $300 for. I guess I may just be cheap.

What features and characteristics do you want in a keyboard?

Offline LemonJR

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 11:35:57 »
What is your definition of good? There are very few keyboards I would pay anywhere near $300 for. I guess I may just be cheap.

The only strict requirement I have is that the bezels are not too thick.
Ideally it can be hotswap and white/blue in colour but I’m fine without these features.
For mounting styles, Bluetooth or not and etc I don’t really mind.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 12:10:42 »

The only strict requirement I have is that the bezels are not too thick.
Ideally it can be hotswap and white/blue in colour but I’m fine without these features.
For mounting styles, Bluetooth or not and etc I don’t really mind.

Did you like how the Satisfaction 75 had a rotary encoder? If so, the previous suggestion also has one. You can also reserve it in white, and it does have hot swap sockets (the product page doesn't seem to specify which kind). I may pick one of those up in black myself now that I see it.

I don't often look into most of the things you're looking for, so I wouldn't know whether or not there's an even better choice.

If you ever want to change caps, 75% options are going to be a lot more limited than TKL, if that's something you're concerned with.

Offline louisgarbuor

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 12:32:57 »
I have tried the HK Gaming/Durgod Galazy 75. Good board imo, main complaint is that it is quite pingy.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:16:54 »
Ping comes from springs, not the keyboard.
The keyboard only amplifies it, some are better or worse but it all originates from the spring.

Good springs (and maybe some lube) stops ping, not that that advice helps on a soldered board.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Surnia

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:50:58 »
What is the honest definition of good in your case, and is your price inclusive of all parts or just the case + PCB + plate? As a beginner are you just looking for something to dip your toes in mechanical keyboards, or do you want to go full custom and build it yourself?

Within 75% there's a relatively huge range compared to years ago.

- Keychron K2 gets you everything minus programming at $70, for an entry level setup (plastic case, wireless/wired, white backlit, switches and keycaps included).
- KC84, RGB, wireless/wired, not fully programmable (has a lot though I believe). $90 USD.
- Entry custom with the XD84 on a bent steel case (PCB + stabs + Case is around $80 USD. Soldering required)
- KBD75v2 starts at $159, aluminum frame and foam included (no switches, no caps. soldering required)
- Upcoming GMMK Pro, $169 with RGB and hotswap, gasket plate. No switches or caps.
- Sky's the limit on the upper bounds, I believe there's a godspeed75 currently running at $380...

Switches and caps will level, or break your budget and are moderately of concern for compatibility. Right shift tends to be around 1.75u to accommodate the arrows, but there's a few options (or extra mod packs for keycap sets) to get around that. You can go from a cheap $20 Aliexpress PBT XDA/NP/whatever clone profile, to GMK/MT3/KAT profiles (typically around $100+) that easily cost more than the above boards. Switches can be as simple as Gaterons for next to nothing (under $30 for 110), or go crazy with NK Creams/Blueberries/Zeal switches (over $1 per switch, to about $90+ for a 75%. I'm aware there's pricier, I'm going with ease of accessibility)

I'm personally looking to rebuild a new work board (old Choc Mini, love that little thing still) and will be going with a KBD75v2 PCB, the XD84 bent steel case (minor compatibility problems), and Kailh Box Pinks. Caps are undecided but it may just get cheap Noppoo SA caps (~$30, requires a new shift key from other sets), or I might go nuts and pickup a dev/tty set. With the cap options in mind, that easily shifts my price point from ~$150 (PCB+case+everglide stabs+switches = $120) to $220 just with the second cheapest custom option above.

Would this define as a good board? For me it most likely will, but for someone who has a different taste in case aesthetics and a different desire for sound, that may be the worst option possible.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black