Author Topic: Good prelubed switches?  (Read 15447 times)

Offline /jayemhaitch

Good prelubed switches?
« on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:37:02 »
Hey all, thanks for looking!

Anyone know of a good place to order prelubed switches? I知 building a keyboard for my son and would love to skip that part ;D . For reference he値l probably like either Cherry brown or reds. Still waiting on the tester to arrive for him to try em out.

Offline Leopard223

Re: Good prelubed switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 13:29:59 »
There's the Silk Milkshake Switches by NovelKeys, I dont know how they perform but they come prelubed with 205g0, probably not as good as manual lubing with 205g0 but I'd guess you can't go better than that, and I think they're the same wight as the Cherry reds, there's also the Aqua king by Everglide which got very good feedback and also came prelubed (IDK with what).

Alternativly you can go the extra mile and buy second hand lubed switches, or get what you want and pay someone to manual lube them.

Offline /jayemhaitch

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 17:52:05 »
There's the Silk Milkshake Switches by NovelKeys, I dont know how they perform but they come prelubed with 205g0, probably not as good as manual lubing with 205g0 but I'd guess you can't go better than that, and I think they're the same wight as the Cherry reds, there's also the Aqua king by Everglide which got very good feedback and also came prelubed (IDK with what).

Alternativly you can go the extra mile and buy second hand lubed switches, or get what you want and pay someone to manual lube them.

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I値l search on those!

Offline retoid

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 19:07:37 »
This is a pretty decent place with good prices and nice selection: https://loobedswitches.com/

Offline /jayemhaitch

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 21:21:58 »
This is a pretty decent place with good prices and nice selection: https://loobedswitches.com/

Hey thanks, this one looks good too. I致e yet to find prelubed Cherries tho that support back lights tho. I知 wondering if I should stray from Cherry but I壇 like to start him off with that.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 23:18:14 »
If you want the equivalent of pre-lubed MX Browns that are allegedly better than Cherry Browns, there's a switch called Pewter, although it isn't cheap.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 05:31:08 »

Anyone know of a good place to order prelubed switches? I知 building a keyboard for my son and would love to skip that part ;D . For reference he値l probably like either Cherry brown or reds. Still waiting on the tester to arrive for him to try em out.
Unless specified pretty much every switch is pre-lubed it's just that some are lubed better than others.
Boutique switches such as Zeal will be lubed better than something like Cherry.

Why not lube switches yourself or put your son to work lubing them? It's not a difficult process, just tedious and will make him part of the process and make it feel more like his keyboard, something he earned.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 15:23:53 »
I think the Boba U4Ts have some lube on it, but some even recommend using it stock and not apply any lube.
I'm using mine stock and there are no pings or scratchiness at all.

Offline /jayemhaitch

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 20:34:01 »

Unless specified pretty much every switch is pre-lubed it's just that some are lubed better than others.
Boutique switches such as Zeal will be lubed better than something like Cherry.

Normally he would work for it a bit more but I知 gifting him so I want it complete with no setup. If wants to try another switch he can lube them himself!

Why not lube switches yourself or put your son to work lubing them? It's not a difficult process, just tedious and will make him part of the process and make it feel more like his keyboard, something he earned.

Offline boyerelouise

• jigsaw puzzle
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 02:55:04 »

I have found this website https://www.ashkeebs.com/
It's quite good although the price is a little bit high

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 20:04:13 »
That's a good site, but it's in Canada like me.

You might want to go to the reddit for mechanical keyboards and look up services being offered by U.S. providers, if you are located in the United States. There are many people offering that in the U.S., and you can also find out on Discord.

Offline LoobedSwitches

• Empoweing your typing experience
    • Loobed Switches
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:52:06 »

Offline colorman

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 05:14:10 »
Unless specified pretty much every switch is pre-lubed it's just that some are lubed better than others

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 12:17:01 »
while it isn't exactly pre-lubed, the Gateron CJ is great due to it's polished stem making it smoother than actual lube being on the stem.
Gateron also has the Oil King which is pre-lubed using their new lubing technique and also has a polished stem although its spring may be a bit too heavy for your son.

keep in mind both of these are linears and are comparable to cherry mx reds and are said to be better than reds in many ways

both are on divinikey.com which is based in the US and is my go-to place to get switches

the weight of CJ's is a 60G bottom out, Cherry Red is around 56. you likely wont notice too much of a weight difference between the two. if your son likes the color blue he will probably like these since they make all the RGB blue'ish due to their transparent blue housing

Oil king is about 80G bottom out so much heavier than CJ's

they're also some of the smoothest switches on the market

The CJ's materials are a POM stem, POM lower housing, and Gateron's own material called "ink" for the top housing resulting in a sound that is fairly high pitched sound that can be converted to a lower pitch by lubing the top housing.

The Oil King's have a Nylon top housing, "Ink" bottom housing, and POM stem resulting in a somewhat lower pitched more "muted" sound
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2022, 10:17:23 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline Backspace2

• Third most used key on the keyboard is Backspace!
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 00:22:08 »
I've been hearing great things about Oil Kings lately, with a nylon top like Cherries.
Yes

Offline Handke

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 02:30:36 »
Unless specified pretty much every switch is pre-lubed it's just that some are lubed better than others

Absolutely FALSE, it's very rare that a switch is pre-lubed.

Offline butre

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 09:04:07 »
jwick t1s are a good factory lubed tactile, novelkeys silk for linears.  both are lubed reasonably well, but it's a light coating.  invokeys matcha latte have a heavier factory lube job if you're into that, but they're a bit harder to get.  I hear good things about gateron oil kings too, but I have no experience with them.

there's also always hitting up r/mechmarket, there's usually a couple people selling lubed switches.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2022, 09:06:45 by butre »