Author Topic: Are there any open source filco pcbs  (Read 1427 times)

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Are there any open source filco pcbs
« on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 00:28:01 »
thinking of buying an old filco for really cheap and modding it for a fun project. But I need to find a pcb for it. Problem is no one really cares for filco so most of the aftermarket stuff is no longer available due to only being sold through year old gbs.

So pretty much the only way to go is through open source stuff. Pcb is needed as I am not willing to go through learning pcb design (I'll leave that to the people who know what they are doing)

Also preferably via as It's just too convenient for me at this point but I understand that filco stuff probably doesn't have via because of it's age.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Are there any open source filco pcbs
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 06:22:01 »
The Phantom is the obvious, but good luck finding one, they also do not fit aftermarket aluminum cases. You could probably order up a new one as I think the design is on Github but you could buy something newer for less.
You can also find aftermarket controllers/daughterboards that are VIA compatible, Bpiphany made some, once in a while I come across places still offering them.

You could also just hand wire.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 16:20:23 »
What exactly do you want to do?
I was lately considering Filco and simply desolder it.
Unless mx black version will be really nice and just gonna keep it as is.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 17:33:16 »

I need via compatibility mainly, i was planning on desoldering the switches, modding the switches (breaking them in, lubing/filming them) then putting it in a replacement plate which can use cherry stabs (if that's feasible). Then getting some vintage wyse caps (and a moogle kit but that will be hard to find) because I heard that the oem filco caps aren't that great.

The Phantom is the obvious, but good luck finding one, they also do not fit aftermarket aluminum cases. You could probably order up a new one as I think the design is on Github but you could buy something newer for less.
You can also find aftermarket controllers/daughterboards that are VIA compatible, Bpiphany made some, once in a while I come across places still offering them.

You could also just hand wire.

Thank you, I think I'll look for the phantom on github and see if there is one, I'll also get a controller that's via compatible.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 18:24:46 »
The Phantom is the obvious, but good luck finding one, they also do not fit aftermarket aluminum cases.
The Phantom PCB is a bare unpopulated PCB though. It was made to have a Teensy 2.0 as the controller, but it has been discontinued. I've heard that Chinese copies of the Teensy 2.0 might exist though.
There is support for it in QMK firmware, which it had got from TMK which it is a fork of.
The PCB was made for plate-mounted stabs, like the original.
BTW, build instructions: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Phantom_instruction_guide

Bpiphany's controller was a replacement for the Filco's daughterboard, and won't fit the Phantom.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2023, 04:05:48 by Findecanor »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 02:15:06 »

I need via compatibility mainly, i was planning on desoldering the switches, modding the switches (breaking them in, lubing/filming them) then putting it in a replacement plate which can use cherry stabs (if that's feasible). Then getting some vintage wyse caps (and a moogle kit but that will be hard to find) because I heard that the oem filco caps aren't that great.

Well, I don't think you will find one, it was a very old GB and extra stock was sold long time ago.
You could try and find bpiphany's controller for Filco's original pcb and that way gain QMK, but you would stuck with original pcb with costars.

THat is the point were I stuck when tried to achieve same thing. I only wanted to do it cause I like Filco's plastic case :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::