geekhack Community > Input Devices

Are volume knobs useful? (on input devices)

<< < (7/8) > >>

Ckeeb:

--- Quote from: nelamvr6 on Fri, 19 July 2019, 12:25:23 ---I really prefer an analog knob to buttons.

--- End quote ---

Just feel the same

1391401:
I'd say yes - although my keyboard does not have one I bought a pair of those massdrop gaming headphones that has a simple volume dial and it's such an amazing feature to have and I use it every time I use them.  I think if it had buttons it'd still be OK but the analog dial is super easy to use, lets me choose just the right volume, and rapidly turn the volume down versus muting it (think: that person on discord or a conference call who is way too loud).

Riverman:
I bought a used Das Keyboard 4 that has a volume knob, and it's kind of fun to turn and looks cool, but I don't think it's any more functional than volume buttons.  I wouldn't consider it to be any kind of requirement for buying a new keyboard.

jacethesaltsculptor:
At my job, I do a little bit of Audio Video as the firm I work for is small, our IT department kind of has to take over that as well if we want to expect decent results.

For that reason, we work with what we have, which are a combination of brand new audio equipment and REALLY old audio equipments.

We've got these older analogue speakers that you can connect pretty much anything with a 3.5 to, and they are small, and have two buttons, each for up and down volume.

I can't tell you how much I dislike these buttons, as the increment each press creates is very imprecise and it's hard to tell the results from behind the speaker effectively.

We have a newer set with a volume knob and we can work with that much more easily.

Now not every speaker with a binary up and down is this bad, but these speakers at work have convinced me knobs are the way.

karakko:
Depends on how you use it mate. For some keyboards, you can program the knob to a lot like RGB settings, speed of RGB, sound, scrolling, or any other funky commands that are user-specific. It's not for everyone but it's not inconvenient. I've never had one until recently and I think it's a nice knick-knack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version