geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

Whats the difference between Cherry and DCS profile

(1/1)

granola bar enthusiast:
I only recently found out about DCS profile about 2 months ago and since then I have just had the wonder in the back of my mind on how it is different from Cherry profile, both seem to be somewhat similar in height so is it more the top shape?

Findecanor:
Biggest differences are corners (sharp vs round) and the inclination of the bottom two rows.
DCS keycaps also have a coarser texture on the top than most keys in Cherry profile.

If you'd google for images of "DCS vs Cherry profile", and you'll find plenty of direct comparisons.

Rob27shred:
Findecanor pretty much answered this, but I'll also add DCS is much thinner caps than most high to decent quality Cherry profile caps. Although that is not a bad thing like most would say. IME the thinness of DCS allows for the sounds of the switch & board come through clearer than thick caps. Depending on your build they can really accentuate & put the final touches on on an awesome setup!

HungerMechanic:
Yeah, modern DCS is for different situations than GMK.

Modern DCS has very thin walls, they reveal more of the switch's operation.

For light tactiles, DCS is sometimes better than GMK. Especially with MX Browns. They also sound better than GMK on my MX Brown board.

Old [1980s WYSE] DCS is actually very thick, some thicker than GMK. Still better with MX Browns.

As others have said, DCS is more rounded at the corners. Row-wise, I think DCS is like the classic R0-R5 Cherry sculpt, and then some.

Findecanor:
One more thing: You can't use modern DCS with O-rings or silencing clips. The latter are for Cherry profile only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version