geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

BS Double Shots


They don't exist as far as I am aware but do you think if Signature Plastics or other company (Unicomp maybe) could make such keycaps for 2 piece IBM keys?
Various color schemes (like original black on white/grey, or new red on white or white on black) would be awesome. That would bring new live to our dull looking Model Ms, Model Fs and Unicomps...

Unicomp might be able to help as well as Fentek.  I don't think anybody does double-shots for Model Ms, though.  I think the best you can get is a colored cap with dye sub.  Not the best for customization, but they're just as durable.

I'm aware of dye sublimated keys made by Unicomp and Fentek. Got some from both parties but I'd like to know if it's at all technologically possible and if maybe someone would be interested in group order.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do doubleshot caps for the two-piece keys, but they would have to be pretty thin.

For the single piece keys, I think the way they are made is actually out of a single piece of plastic, so I don't think it would be possible to do them as double shots.

Also, having had both PBT dye-subbed keys and double shot keys, I have to say I prefer the dye subbed models. They just feel better under my fingers. Of course, that's only my preference, and I could see arguments the other way, as well.

I've contacted Unicomp before for making white on red Esc keys and they told me that they don't have the technology to do so. They do offer dyesub keys at a fair price but you're limited to black


[0] Message Index

Go to full version