geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Split Ergonomic Layout with Blue Cherries

<< < (2/3) > >>

alexlzl:

--- Quote from: dlarellano;13431 ---
I should beg Kinesis to use their supply of brown switches on their Freestyle keyboards.
--- End quote ---

Totally, I recently just returned a freestyle because of the terrible membrane keys it uses. My RSI needs a split keyboard, looks like I have to settle for the Goldtouch for a while

itlnstln:
Here is the e-mail I just sent to Kinesis:

--- Quote ---Are there any plans to equip the Freestyle with mechanical Cherry key switches (particularly the brown/tea axis) in the future?  I tried a friends Freestyle, and it was a great keyboard, but I did not like the rubber dome key switches that are currently used in the keyboard.  Having the Cherry key switches would make the Freestyle an instant buy.  Thanks!

-[Itln Stln]
For more information on quality keyboards, please visit:
http://www.GeekHack.org
--- End quote ---

kodos96:

--- Quote from: itlnstln;7735 ---I wrote an e-mail to DSI to se if they were going to carry an ergonomic keyboard with Cherry switches.  Apparently, they would not be carrying a pre-made one, and said they would OEM one.  While I don't know any details, would anyone here be interested in one?  I would like to try to get a rough head count before I talk to him again on Monday.  Thanks.
--- End quote ---

Did anything ever happen with your inquiry to DSI? FWIW, you could add one to the 'head count' for me, although as this is a resurrected thread I'm sure it's too late to make any difference. But I would be willing to buy pretty much any split board with Cherry switches, for any reasonable price. To clarify, did this mail from DSI mean that if you got a sufficient headcount they would be willing to make the board for you custom as an OEM? Any idea what kind of headcount they would need?

kodos96:

--- Quote from: itlnstln;13454 ---Cherry made the Ergo Plus (with brown Cherries), but they are hard to find, especially in a US layout, and very expensive (about $500).  You might ask nicely to some of our members in Germany as they can get EU layout versions pretty cheap and they can ship it to.  I would like to try one myself, but I think I might go nuts with the EU layout.
--- End quote ---

I would be willing to try a foreign layout if I could get one on the cheap, but I've never seen them listed on ebay or anything, so I assumed they were rare even in Germany. Do you know of any particular German geekhackers who would be willing to help out on something like this?

itlnstln:
No one ever asked to be part of the head count.  I think DSI was looking to do a major manufacturing job as I responded to them that it might be a run of no more than 100 'boards, and they never responded back. :)

Anyway, here is the response I received back from Kinesis:

--- Quote ---Hi [Itln],

No, we do not have any plans to change the switches on the Freestyle keyboard. I will, however, pass your suggestions along. I'm sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Erika

Kinesis Corporation Sales
http://www.kinesis.com
800-454-6374 ext 1
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version