Author Topic: Trackball Recommendations Wanted  (Read 3592 times)

Offline CrapTypist

• http://www.georgecochrane
Trackball Recommendations Wanted
« on: Tue, 07 April 2009, 17:13:50 »
Hi all,

I use a Logitech Marble Mouse right now, and in general, I like it.  It's the right size and shape for my hands and is pretty functional.  I need a finger-operated ball because of thumb pain.

I'm looking for something a little more solid, with a larger ball and some sort of scrolling capability (besides the scroll-modifier button this thing can be set up to have).

There seems to be the Kensingtons, and then a lot of smaller Logitech units, most of which are thumb-operated.  Does the Expert Mouse fit your hand well without excessive wrist angle?  Is the Slimblade better, being perhaps lower to the desk?  

I've heard from many that the Logitech FX and the Microsoft Explorer are the ne plus ultra of the genre (and of course unavailable)- is there another trackball that allows the hand to rest in a more natural position like they seem to do?

Anyhow, just looking for an upgrade and wondering if anybody's found a magic trackball that might be flying under my radar, or if one of the kensingtons might do me right.

Offline tad

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 April 2009, 18:12:08 »
As someone who has recently purchased both, I actually like the Logitech better from an ergonomic point of view. All the buttons are within reach without weird hand contortions, and 2d-scrolling with the button-modifier is nice.

The Kensington (Expert Mouse 7.0) definitely has a larger ball, which could be nicer for precision work, but I find it heavy and exhausting after long periods of use, due to the ball's large inertia. By contrast, the Logitech is nice and light, which is ideal for gaming and quick mousing around. My pinky rests in an awkward position for right clicking (just at the upper tip of the right button) and the upper buttons require moving my entire hand to reach over the ball.

The scroll ring is a plus, and is "ratcheted" for stuff like weapon switching in games, but it feels a little bit cheap and it grinds slightly (making a very distinctive plastic-on-plastic noise). The angle of the mouse hasn't been an impediment for me, partly because I eschew the included crap-rest in favor of a standard wrist rest at a decent height.

Another plus for the Kensington is its smoothness, which is a major plus considering the Logitech's tendency to get "stuck" every once in a while (requiring a quick application of hair or forehead grease).

I suggest just purchasing one and trying it out. They're <$60 on Amazon at the moment.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 April 2009, 18:30:17 »
I found the supplied wrist rest to be adequate with the kensington expert. And it does require a wrist rest as the angle is a bit much. I never got tired from using it though and it really is a smooth trackball.
My biggest complaint would be the height. I have  a slide-out tray but could not close it unless I removed the kensington.  I hear you on the plastic-on-plastic noise of the scroll ring, and yes, I think it could have been designed better. But the scroll ring is a great idea and it works fine for me.

Having said all that I am using the kensington orbit which is a straight-forward 2 button mouse. I like the kensington's since I can use them with my left hand.
Am sitting on the fence as to when I will get the kensington slimblade. It looks like a nice piece of hardware but they hosed the ability to program the buttons.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline cb951303

Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB
Kensington Orbit K72337US

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 14:45:27 »
Wow.  Those sites are really weird together...

The CH Trackball PRO will run you about $230.

I personally like the look of the wireless Logitech Trackman, but I haven't seen anyone around here that really likes it.  It looks like it would be comfortable to me, and it has a ball that is not too big and not too small.  I think I remember reading some stuff about the parts the ball sits on not being built so well...
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline ozar

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 14:59:09 »
The more I look at it, the more I like the look of the Kensington Expert, and I'm kind of wishing that I had chosen it as my first trackball device.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 15:08:22 »
Yeah, the Expert looks nice, but I do worry that the large ball on it could wear on my hands just as much as a regular mouse, making a switch arbitrary.  I could be wrong, though...
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline ozar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 15:24:55 »
Both, NewEgg.com and ChiefValue.com have the Kensington Expert for $59.99 with free shipping right now, so that's a good price, but I've not made up my mind yet, either.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 16:14:49 »
That evolution mouse trak looks interesting and it looks like it works with linux too.

Does anyone here have one?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII