Author Topic: [IC] SKYLOONG GK61 Pro - 60% keyboard with knob.  (Read 6316 times)

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
[IC] SKYLOONG GK61 Pro - 60% keyboard with knob.
« on: Sun, 10 September 2023, 12:03:10 »
Hi Geekhack members

This is Kelvin from SKYLOONG. I'm so excited to share our first IC thread over Geekhack.
Regarding the first IC thread, I'm going to share our upgraded GK61, that is GK61 Pro with you.
Please help us to complete the IC form:
https://forms.gle/pk5RzRXEuAwDPcPM8

A 61-key keyboard with a knob in the middle of the spacebar.
You may strange "It's just a common keyboard with a split spacebar and knob, how dare you call it 'PRO'?"

You might be right.
It's just a traditional keyboard layout added with a knob on a split spacebar. This keyboard has neither the special structure of an ergonomic keyboard nor the gorgeous design of most GBs.
How dare we?

We're at sea regarding this attempt at style and functionality improvement.
However, the reformation of products and the progress of functions require people to attempt and innovate constantly.
SKYLOONG is just the most ordinary one in the keyboard field, and SKYLOONG will also implement the core concept of "Tech & Fun" to provide more interesting technologies in the keyboard field.

GK61 Pro is SKYLOONG's latest attempted result, with three versions available.

Specifications:
Layout: 60%, ANSI
Structure: O-Ring Gasket Mount

Connection: Wired (QMK/VIA Fully Support) & Wireless(Bluetooth/2.4G)
Battery: 4000mAh
Backlight: 16.8 million Customized RGB
Case & Plate:
Silver Anodizing Aluminum Case with FR4 Plate

Black ABS Case with White Steel Plate

White ABS Case with White Steel Plate

Switch: Support 3/5 pin hot-swap switch
Knob: programmable and hot-swappable

On the basis of GK61, not only the appearance has been changed, but also the hardware and firmware ware have been upgraded.

Why would we make such change?

GH60 led the concept of 60% keyboard 10 years ago.
Various 60% layout keyboards such as GK61, SK61, RK61, and Wooting 61 etc. have been released in the past decade.
The overall functions and layout have remained consistent without any significant modifications.

On the other hand.
Skyloong has always adhered to the principles of Tech & Fun and committed to making interesting technology.
In the few years after the launch of GK61, SKYLOONG tried changes such as an o-ring gasket, split space, and hot-swappable knobs on the keyboard.
GK61 Pro is the product of the combination of split spaces and hot-swappable knobs.
This is another new attempt by skyloong, and no one knows what kind of result this new attempt will eventually lead to.

The original intention of split spacebar is to allocate the usage area of the single long spacebar as reasonably as possible on small layout keyboards such as 60% keyboard, as the spacebar takes up the most space on the keyboard but only has one function.
Until now, splitting spaces no longer meets our needs.
Plus, as knobs become increasingly important today, 60% of series still do not have knob functions due to limited layout restrictions.
Meanwhile, SKYLOONG’s hot-swappable knob has been available with the GK75 for a while.

In the end, we decided to combine the split space with our new hot-swappable knobs to make a 60% keyboard with knobs - GK61 Pro.

Of course, if users are not comfortable with such improvements, they can replace the split spacebar with the classic long spacebar according to their own preferences.
As our knobs are also hot-swappable after all!

From the classic long spacebar with one function to the split space with three functions, and now the split spacebar with five functions + hot-swappable knob.
Your thumbs are getting busy now.

Ok, now that the split space has evolved to have five functions, how can we use them?

When the concept of split space + knob was proposed, an idea popped up in my brain immediately.
Why not try to configure the rotation function of the knob as the left and right arrow keys?
Just like the red button in ThinkPad.

I'm a 60% layout enthusiast.
The minimalist shape of the 60% series saves a lot of space and allows me to wield the mouse better, and it can make my desktop look clean and orderly.
But what annoys me is that every time I type a wrong word, I have to raise my hand and use the FN combination keys with arrow keys to move the cursor to the wrong word, (of course, it is also possible to use the mouse for moving the cursor, but I have to be careful to prevent choosing the wrong position in the narrow space.) then readjust my fingers on the keyboard.
This has seriously affected my typing fluency and sense of rhythm, and even my work efficiency.
What If I configure my desired function on the split spacebar & knob through VIA/software, such as the left, right arrow keys for knob, and set the right space as backspace.

As shown in the video:

As you can see in the video, I can complete the steps to correct my mistakes without raising my hand and without re-adjusting my fingers on the keyboard.
Because my hands never moved!

Even so, we face a huge challenge.
That is to challenge the human muscle memory.
In order to be proficient in the new typing method of split space + knob, it took me about a week to adapt and practice.
Of course, this requires a certain time cost.
However, after I fully adapted to this typing method and gained improved typing efficiency and flexible functionality, I realized that the time cost was worth it.

Don't forget that the function of the knob is customizable.(of course, all keys are customizable, except FN)
You can freely configure functions according to your work scene and life.

For example:
Photoshop image zoom in and zoom out
Timeline Controls for Premiere Pro
Create and switch between new desktops
Control music/video player, pause/play, forward/rewind
Etc.

Rather than just "keyboards"
We hope to create a great productivity tool that can improve your work efficiency.

So if this board on your hand, How can you customize the keyboard functions to suit your career?

In the end.
Skyloong's success story commenced with the launch of the GK61, which was inspired by GH60. This product introduction resulted in a period of prosperity for the company.
Since then, skyloong has been dedicated to the principle of "From the community, For the community". Provide high-quality and personalized products and services for keyboard enthusiasts.
In addition to GK61, skyloong will open source the design files of hot-swappable knobs in Git Hub.

Hope to inspire creativity and design inspiration for other keyboard lovers in the community.
Skyloong always believes that only by making progress together with the community and working together with keyboard enthusiasts, can we jointly promote the continuous development of the keyboard industry and bring vitality and prosperity.

https://github.com/JZ-Skyloong/Skyloong_Components

In the future, what innovations will skyloong contribute?
Let's stay tuned.

In the end*2
I love you guys
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 September 2023, 01:09:39 by SKYLOONG »
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline DirtyGingy

Re: [IC] SKYLOONG GK61 Pro - The first 60% keyboard with knob.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 September 2023, 12:09:07 »
What year is it

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 September 2023, 15:17:35 »
well you were brave for putting this here if nothing else

Offline CoolPenguin1

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 September 2023, 22:27:56 »
The hotswap knob thing looks pretty cool and I think something like that would be neat to see on some boards that would otherwise force knobs. This IC is pretty cute but geekhack probably isn't the most appropriate place to post it given the target audience lol.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 September 2023, 23:57:29 »
No IC Form linked.

Not the first knob 60, not even the first custom one, I've seen a gskt-00 with one from pr0ximity.

Geekhack is like the complete opposite target market you should send one to like hipyo tech he'll give you a rave review regardless of quality if you pay him enough and his audience will buy it.

Honestly like seeing this being open source, that's pretty cool, appreciate more unique things in this hobby. Also via cool but that's pretty standard at this point.

Was kinda angry at this at first but now fully reading it I can say this is better than other ICs by corps this is harmless in comparison

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
Re: [IC] SKYLOONG GK61 Pro - 60% keyboard with knob.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 02:49:57 »
No IC Form linked.

Not the first knob 60, not even the first custom one, I've seen a gskt-00 with one from pr0ximity.

Geekhack is like the complete opposite target market you should send one to like hipyo tech he'll give you a rave review regardless of quality if you pay him enough and his audience will buy it.

Honestly like seeing this being open source, that's pretty cool, appreciate more unique things in this hobby. Also via cool but that's pretty standard at this point.

Was kinda angry at this at first but now fully reading it I can say this is better than other ICs by corps this is harmless in comparison

ah... that's super embarrassing, hahaha

Thank you very much for your warm reminder. I just modified the IC link and title.

You are right, it's not the first 60 keyboard with knob.  :)

In my thought, the [Interest Check] Subforum of Geekhack is supposed to be a place open to discuss a new interesting keyboard.

I posted a thread just hoping to hear honest opinions from members like you. Whatever it is good keyboard or **** piece.

It's always welcome to hear from you guys and discuss it.

SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 02:54:03 »
The hotswap knob thing looks pretty cool and I think something like that would be neat to see on some boards that would otherwise force knobs. This IC is pretty cute but geekhack probably isn't the most appropriate place to post it given the target audience lol.

haha, thanks for your reminder, but, never mind, I'm just a guy who put a funny keyboard for discussing here.
welcome any interesting speak!
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 02:55:05 »
well you were brave for putting this here if nothing else

yes, cheers, brave people :))
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 07:35:54 »
Interesting knob placement although 2x 2.75u spacebar will make hard to swap keycaps (I know I made this exact split spacebars myself).

Offline Thevenny

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 10:38:10 »
You put a knob in the middle of a spacebar. Oh what a simmetric decision..

WHY YOU DON'T DO A SIMMETRIC BOTTOM ROW?
WHY YOU DON'T DO A SPLITTABLE RSHIFT?
WHY YOU DON'T DO A SPLITTABLE BACKSPACE?

Damn, we are in year 2023

Offline talltail

• Sen
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 13:29:08 »

Buddy check your capslock switch I think it's busted.

Offline WK

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 15:25:01 »
I like the stepped Esc.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 18:01:13 »

You don't have to be so loud...

All seriousness I agree that this is a project that should probably have 7u, to make it even more symmetrical (At this point I do actually like 6.25u bottom row more for some reason, especially on tkls but for this project 7u is better)

Split RS I also think would be better as well but that's more of a preference thing.

Split BS is the most contentious thing I feel, that's a big preference thing (something that a lot of people would probably really like if they tried it, I like it as well, but most people prefer regular BS, at least it's via compatible so you can do it anyway)

In my thought, the [Interest Check] Subforum of Geekhack is supposed to be a place open to discuss a new interesting keyboard.

I posted a thread just hoping to hear honest opinions from members like you. Whatever it is good keyboard or **** piece.

Yeah that's fair enough, Also If I were you personally I would add a little suggestions box to the IC form which would be nice, if I ever run an IC that's what I would do anyway.

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 20:32:51 »
Interesting knob placement although 2x 2.75u spacebar will make hard to swap keycaps (I know I made this exact split spacebars myself).

It's a 2*2.25u spacebar exactly, because of the knob.  :)
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 20:40:54 »

Regarding the splittable Rshift, I'm assuming you are talking about GK64  :))
But I can't accept the Backspace small as ESC, since I use more Backspace than ESC.  ;)
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 20:43:56 »

Yeah that's fair enough, Also If I were you personally I would add a little suggestions box to the IC form which would be nice, if I ever run an IC that's what I would do anyway.
[/quote]

Hey, that sounds make more sense, I will try this way next time.  :D
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 20:45:34 »
I like the stepped Esc.

Shall we make more like this? :))
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 22:33:35 »
But I can't accept the Backspace small as ESC, since I use more Backspace than ESC.  ;)

Most people who do split backspace but the backspace where the |\ key would be. That's where I put it and stuff the like the hhkb uses it as well.

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 01:18:56 »

Most people who do split backspace but the backspace where the |\ key would be. That's where I put it and stuff the like the hhkb uses it as well.

ah, that's a typical hhbk layout style. I just worry about the mistouch of small backspacec.
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline m202307

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 05:32:20 »
I'd already have one of these if it wasn't for the north-facing switches.  I'm interested in the split-spacebar/knob combo, because it looks like it makes good use of what's normally wasted space on a 60% layout, but most of my keycaps are Cherry profile and the thought of being able to use only a subset of keycap/switch combos on it doesn't appeal.

As a vi user the stepped esc key terrifies me, but that's easily remedied.

Offline mul7i

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 11:25:28 »
i really like the split space+ knob idea but at the same time a lot of the other things i would like to have on a 60% are missing

the north facing pcb is already a big turn off for me but with the lack of options for split bs, split rshift and 7u bottom row i really dont see myself getting this

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 01:38:26 »
i really like the split space+ knob idea but at the same time a lot of the other things i would like to have on a 60% are missing

the north facing pcb is already a big turn off for me but with the lack of options for split bs, split rshift and 7u bottom row i really dont see myself getting this

what happens to the north facing pcb :confused:
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline m202307

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 06:05:42 »
[what happens to the north facing pcb :confused:

With north-facing switches some Cherry-profile keycaps, with some switches, will hit the edge of the switch before they bottom out, usually on rows 2 and 3.  This page has a good explanation with an illustration (while also claiming that the real problem is the design of switches, not PCBs).  It changes the feel and sound of the keys, but only on some parts of the keyboard.  Some people are bothered by it, some aren't.  I'm in the bothered camp.  The keystroke will still be registered even if it hits the switch instead of bottoming out.

In short, if you care more about switches and keycaps than RGB LEDs, you'll tend to prefer south-facing switches.  If you care more about LEDs than switches/keycaps, you'll go for north-facing switches.

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 06:38:10 »

It seems you don't know your own project.

The picture clearly shows:
  • standard bottom row spacing with 6.25u overall length of both spacebars and knob
  • knob base (orange bit) is shorter than B key = 0.75u
  • right spacebar aligned to the left with N key stretching across nearly 3 keys = 2.75u
  • left spacebar covers C and V key entirely plus 1/4 of B key plus 1/2 of X key = 2.75u
  • 2.75u + 2.75u + 0.75u = 6.25u

Anyway, 2x 2.25u spacebars would be equally difficult to find in any 3rd party keyset.

Therefore 2x 3u with 1u gap for knob (making overall 7u) would be better design for more reasons:
  • 2x 3u is a popular spacebar add-on
  • symetry of bottom row and excuse to follow up with split RShift and split Backspace that is typical for 7u Tsangan bottom row that others asked for
  • with 1u gap the knob head wouldn't be so close to spacebars (not invading their space)
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 September 2023, 07:04:15 by LASERman Projects »

Offline SKYLOONG

• skyloong
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 01:33:05 »

It seems you don't know your own project.

The picture clearly shows:
  • standard bottom row spacing with 6.25u overall length of both spacebars and knob
  • knob base (orange bit) is shorter than B key = 0.75u
  • right spacebar aligned to the left with N key stretching across nearly 3 keys = 2.75u
  • left spacebar covers C and V key entirely plus 1/4 of B key plus 1/2 of X key = 2.75u
  • 2.75u + 2.75u + 0.75u = 6.25u

Anyway, 2x 2.25u spacebars would be equally difficult to find in any 3rd party keyset.

Therefore 2x 3u with 1u gap for knob (making overall 7u) would be better design for more reasons:
  • 2x 3u is a popular spacebar add-on
  • symetry of bottom row and excuse to follow up with split RShift and split Backspace that is typical for 7u Tsangan bottom row that others asked for
  • with 1u gap the knob head wouldn't be so close to spacebars (not invading their space)

Thanks very much for correcting me, I always mix them up.
Exactly, it's 2.75u.

Regarding the 1u knob, it's a nice idea, we have tried it. The only problem for us is the knob gap will looks  stranger than 0.75. that's why we choose 0.75u as main size, for knob, it looks more nature than 1u. on the other hand, the knob gap between two spacebar would not too big and it's not easy to find appropriate knob over this position. you can see in the picture that this kind of knob is unusual for most of keyboard on market.
SKYLOONG OFFICIAL

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 19:30:38 »
you don't know how a thinkpad's trackpoint works don't you?