Author Topic: Gaming keypad  (Read 70664 times)

Offline Bucis

• Azeron facebook
Re: Gaming keypad
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:04:22 »
We had finished our Keypad for left handed peoples.
Available for order at Etsy

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 17:22:04 »
I really, really love this thing. But before I purchase one, I'd like to ask a few questions:

- Is it running custom firmware? If so, is there a way to upload my own? I see it uses a Teensy, which suggests I should be able to flash my own, which gets me to the second question:
- Is the firmware open source? Or at least, is there any info on wiring, how the matrix is setup, etc?
- I plan to buy it through $work, are you able to send an invoice along with the device?

The reason I'm asking is because I developed a (perhaps bad) habit of porting open source firmware (Kaleidoscope) to various devices (ErgoDox & Atreus so far), and one of the goals of my purchase would be to port one to this device. I need to know if I'll be able to do that O:)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 03:22:02 »
I really, really love this thing. But before I purchase one, I'd like to ask a few questions:

- Is it running custom firmware? If so, is there a way to upload my own? I see it uses a Teensy, which suggests I should be able to flash my own, which gets me to the second question:
- Is the firmware open source? Or at least, is there any info on wiring, how the matrix is setup, etc?
- I plan to buy it through $work, are you able to send an invoice along with the device?

The reason I'm asking is because I developed a (perhaps bad) habit of porting open source firmware (Kaleidoscope) to various devices (ErgoDox & Atreus so far), and one of the goals of my purchase would be to port one to this device. I need to know if I'll be able to do that O:)

Am not involved with this project but have two questions - can you share link to you Kaleidoscope firmware (googling is showing too much results) and also - how can you get gaming keypads paid for by work (that's so cool)? 
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 10:28:30 »
Am not involved with this project but have two questions - can you share link to you Kaleidoscope firmware (googling is showing too much results) and also - how can you get gaming keypads paid for by work (that's so cool)?

https://github.com/keyboardio/Kaleidoscope

And work paying for keyboards is easy: I own the company. >:) (And this way, I can write it up as an expense, and save a bit on tax stuff. Since part of my work involves working on keyboard firmware, this all adds up nicely.)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 14:59:08 »

https://github.com/keyboardio/Kaleidoscope

And work paying for keyboards is easy: I own the company. >:) (And this way, I can write it up as an expense, and save a bit on tax stuff. Since part of my work involves working on keyboard firmware, this all adds up nicely.)

When I pressed "Send" I figured that's probably it! Writing stuff off as expenses is great, allowed me to get a better laptop in my previous work that I bought off for cheap when I was leaving. :)
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline The Gambler

• Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 11:19:04 »
This is one of the most hardcore builds I have seen. This is the true Orbweaver if Razer has to say anything about it.

Really interested in the first prototype though. I wouldn't need too many buttons for the games I play.

I'm wondering if the 3D files are uploaded. I would like to adapt it to a simpler version with 2-8 buttons for something like osu.
DIY LFKeyboards VA68M ALPS
Gherkin ALPS
DIY MF68 Clears (di0ib's PCB)
Too many osu! keypads

Logitech G203/ Zowie ZA12

Offline Bucis

• Azeron facebook
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 06:47:14 »

Yes we have a custom firmware (not open source), but at the moment we already working on our software as well (it will be possible to download soon in our web page, it is still in Alpha, but every one who will be interested can download and test it)
You can upload any firmware whats working on Teensy (reset button are easy accessible), never test Kaleidoscope so cant say how its works.
Our button pinout is not a problem, I can send You, or even put in our web page.
I can send some basic invoice from Etsy, but better one I can send if buying via PayPal.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2018, 07:25:07 by Bucis »

Offline Bucis

• Azeron facebook
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 06:56:19 »
This is one of the most hardcore builds I have seen. This is the true Orbweaver if Razer has to say anything about it.

Really interested in the first prototype though. I wouldn't need too many buttons for the games I play.

I'm wondering if the 3D files are uploaded. I would like to adapt it to a simpler version with 2-8 buttons for something like osu.

Thank You
There is no files uploaded anywhere, but If You are interested I can make changes You like and create one with less buttons, just contact me on mail

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 08:07:08 »
You can upload any firmware whats working on Teensy (reset button are easy accessible), never test Kaleidoscope so cant say how its works.

As this is powered by a Teensy, I can make it work. ;)

Our button pinout is not a problem, I can send You, or even put in our web page.

I think putting it online would be awesome, it might be of great use to anyone who wishes to port an open source firmware to your gaming keypad.

I can send some basic invoice from Etsy, but better one I can send if buying via PayPal.

I think the basic one would be sufficient for me (as long as it includes the seller's name, the item, and my info, it's fine). I seem to remember Paypal being a bit awkward when using it as a company, but I'll have a look and talk with my accountant. If all goes well I'll have an order placed soon.

Thank you for answering my questions!

Offline nraymond

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 14:12:17 »
So I recently came across people talking about the "split" controller support in Overwatch (using an analog USB controller in the left hand, mouse in right) which was broken for a long time on PC, but fixed a year or so ago. I've been doing the standard WASD thing on PC for ages, but I've also experimented with all sorts of alternative controllers on PC and consoles over the years - going back to the original Belkin Nostromo, through the Logitech G13. I've had issues with every alternative controller though. The G13 ergonomics don't agree with me, and the Nostromo evolution in the hands of Razer haven't impressed me. I did see some interesting videos of people using the PS Move Navigation controller on PC via SCPToolkit, but I've read that the Windows 10 Creator update broke SCPToolkit and the developers have stopped developing it (the PS Move Navi controller is not an HID device), and on top of that I'd need something like Xpadder or Remap layered on top of SCPToolkit to get the PS Move Navi controller to work in games were split devices aren't supported (which would effectively turn the analog controller into a digital directional pad). That many questionable software layers do not agree with me.

Now this got me thinking about the  HORI Tactical Assault Commander Pro, which looks like it's now discontinued in the US... but has PC as well as console support, and driver software from a real company that supported Windows 10 and has remapping capability, as well as (I think) the ability to operate as both analog X-Input or as a keyboard (digital) input device. Anyway, it looks like in the Japanese market there's also something called the Tactical Assault Commander Grip Controller, which is more of a half-controller + mouse combo for consoles and PC... There's one review of someone using the G1 of it on a PC and really liking it (and not having to use the bundled mouse, though they liked the bundled mouse). The G2 is out now and it looks like it primarily adds the ability to configure it with a smartphone app (which I could care less about on the PC), but the key thing is that it might have decent drivers and the ability to work with most games (though I'd have to use some other software to map X-Input to D-Input if I needed that). It certainly makes sense to have something more like a gamepad or other ergonomic controller in the left hand rather than some pseudo-keyboard with an analog stick tacked on (or no analog stick, which is a giant missed opportunity I think by Razer). Ultimately though I'm not sure how I feel about a product which has no English-language manual (and I'm not sure about the language of the software either...)

Which lead me to do a more general product search, which turned up the Azeron, made me wonder if anyone on geekhack was talking about it, and lo and behold here is this thread! Very promising. Physically, it is appealing that it sits on a desk since I think my left hand would tire if I had to hold a controller in it for long periods of time. And I like that it is wired and that you load profiles in it at a hardware level.

I can see from the videos that it works well for MMOs, and I found a video showing it being used in Warframe, but how about FPS titles? While I primarily play Overwatch these days, I'm also curious how easy it will be to switch between an Overwatch setup and something else... the alpha software page mentions "Can work as joystick, as keyboard or as hybrid (direct input)" - that is very promising, but what about X-Input? Will I need something like TocaEdit Xbox 360 Controller Emulator to do the mapping for those games? It says, "2 setup profiles can be saved on the onboard memory", what is it like to switch between more than 2 profiles? Also, what makes the software Alpha right now? Are there known outstanding issues I should be concerned with? What's the development timeline look for the software?

I can see some real advantages (ergonomic and response-time based) to having a dedicated analog stick under control of my left thumb, freeing up my left hand four fingers completely for other buttons. Aiming, movement, and actions could finally be physically decoupled such that actions wouldn't interrupt movement and movement could also be more precise (WASD being digital 8-directional and requiring stretching fingers/moving off of WASD for other keyboard functions, interrupting movement). And if I have to fall back to mapping the analog stick to digital for compatibility with some games, my hope is that the non-blocking nature of thumb stick directional controls would still hold advantages. I am very interested in Azeron, it looks well thought out, and I hope it is everything I think it might be!

Offline Bucis

• Azeron facebook
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 12:59:09 »

I can see from the videos that it works well for MMOs, and I found a video showing it being used in Warframe, but how about FPS titles? While I primarily play Overwatch these days, I'm also curious how easy it will be to switch between an Overwatch setup and something else... the alpha software page mentions "Can work as joystick, as keyboard or as hybrid (direct input)" - that is very promising, but what about X-Input? Will I need something like TocaEdit Xbox 360 Controller Emulator to do the mapping for those games? It says, "2 setup profiles can be saved on the onboard memory", what is it like to switch between more than 2 profiles? Also, what makes the software Alpha right now? Are there known outstanding issues I should be concerned with? What's the development timeline look for the software?

1) It works well with FPS games too. Only games that doesn't work well with this keypad is probably platformers and racing games.
2) It is possible to switch between 2 favorite profiles with button near logo:
https://www.facebook.com/Azeron.Gaming.Keypad/photos/a.1747466978882679/1937810149848360/?type=3&theater
To see more information on how to work with more than 2 profiles, check the Manual (starting from page 8 ) https://azeron.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Azeron-Manual-V2.0.pdf
There can be only 2 profiles on the on-board memory (not enough memory space for more).
3) In the software it is possible to setup buttons as keyboard buttons, or as joystick buttons, or mix them both in one profile. But for hybrid mode to work it depends on whether the game supports it.
4) Unfortunately it doesn't have X-Input, but we are planing to implement it in the future. Our software currently are very new and we are still working on the basic functions that has higher priority.
5) You can check more feedback of people that are using Azeron keypad in XIM forum: https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=71861.0
and there is a streamer whom you can ask questions (he mostly plays Destiny): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/337431681?filter=all&sort=time
6) Currently known issues with the keypad is that some people find that palm rest is not comfortable. And the analog thumbstick is not the best quality and it has this type of deadzone:

We are currently working on both of these problems, and much better quality analog stick most likely will be available soon.

Offline nraymond

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 10:55:30 »
Bucis, thanks for the quick reply! The manual looks good, makes things pretty clear how they work. I'll check out the other links soon.

I wonder if someday you'd have access to integrating the analog key tech developed by the Aimpad folks and Wooting folks? It'd be interesting to think about an Azeron with four programmable analog keys under the fingers instead of (or in addition to) the multiple buttons, so that the fingers wouldn't have to move off of those keys to perform multiple actions. It's always seemed like a major oversight to me to just make a keypad or keyboard analog, while retaining all of the downsides of WASD movement keys competing with different action keys that require moving fingers off of movement keys to perform actions (as well as the not so great ergonomics of a flat array of keys). To see what I'm talking about:

https://aimpad.com

https://wooting.io/

https://www.techspot.com/review/1641-wooting-one-analog-keyboard/

I think fundamentally the approach you are taking with Azeron makes the most sense.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 18:29:47 »
This is truly impressive.

Offline outhentusiast

• Move quickly!
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 20:59:17 »
Master's faphand xD