Author Topic: Today I learned how to  (Read 3180 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Today I learned how to
« on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 20:55:08 »
Cook lentils. I'm going to mix them into some leftover black beans for a little meal of sorts :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Today I learned how to
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 21:21:20 »
I tried to do the whole Bean thing..

Too much gas..

I intend to try it again in the future,  with the Beano additive that one of my health conscious friends suggested..

Although........ I haven't looked into how natural a substance Beano is..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 21:34:51 »
I was talking to my Mom about this a few months ago. She said there was a seasoning I could use to help with the gas but I can't remember what it was called. The name starts with an A I think?

edit - Annatto? I don't do well with pinto and navy beans, but I seem to do ok with lentils and black beans
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 September 2016, 21:42:06 by csmertx »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 22:14:52 »
I was talking to my Mom about this a few months ago. She said there was a seasoning I could use to help with the gas but I can't remember what it was called. The name starts with an A I think?

edit - Annatto? I don't do well with pinto and navy beans, but I seem to do ok with lentils and black beans

Yea black is a little better for me as well..

But the Quantity , -PRE- Uncontrollable Gas,  is rather limited.. So in this amount I can't substitute all of the protein I'd need to eat..

I have heard that if you eat beans ALOT,  you develop better system for it, and the Gas is reduced..

Not sure how true this is.. 

We really need our Demik to come back and tell us about the bean-way..  but Last I heard he found a Girlfriend and Doesn't need Geekhack in his life no more..

Offline Skywalker

• INFP
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 22:49:07 »
How hard are lentils to cook? I hear they are pretty good for you and I am bad at cooking.
WASD V2 - MX Browns | Topre Realforce 87UB 45g

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 23:00:35 »
I like the idea of this thread. I'm going to learn something new over the next week so I can post something worthy here  :thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 01:35:01 »
How hard are lentils to cook? I hear they are pretty good for you and I am bad at cooking.

I think lentils are in the same ballpark as rice as far as cooking difficulty. No need to let things soak overnight or any of that jazz. Pretty much rinse and cook

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 08:04:12 »
If you soak beans, drain, boil for 20min, drain, and then cook them you will reduce the starches that you don't have enzymes to process (I.e. much less gas).

Lentils are way easier than rice. They can be open boiled and drained so you don't even really have to measure correctly.

One of my favorite I-have-no-money-but-still-need-to-eat meals that I still regularly make is mujadarrah. It goes like this:
Get a big pan and heat enough olive oil in it so the whole pan has a layer. Plenty of oil is good here. Fry around 3 yellow onions cut into rings. Stir occasionally so they brown evenly. While the onions are going, put a pot with 1c of long grain rice and 1c of brown lentils in a pot with around 4 cups of water (or stock if you have it) and a bay leaf. Boil that **** and add liquid if it's drying out and rice and lentils are hard. It's done when they are soft.

Now if you look up recipes for this they will say crap like fry the onions for 10min. Bull****. You want tasty, dark, carmelized dark onions and that's not happening in 10min. If your onions are browning unevenly you can add a little bit of water to the pan and stir. It will deglaze the pan and distribute the heat a little bit. When everything is cooked add salt and lots of pepper (lots!) to the lentils and rice, and mix half of the onions in. Put on plates and top with more onions. That's it. So that is also why plenty of oil is good--the only seasoning is salt, pepper, onions. You can serve it with chutney, yogurt, or I suppose whatever you want.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 08:30:48 »
That is somewhat similar to what I do, but I cook rice and beans separately (I have a steamer and like steamed rice better).

Into the fry/saute/sweat pan you can add other stuff, chopped small, I often go with peppers (bell or hot), carrots, bok choy, etc. When it is all pretty much cooked, I combine it all into one pot and usually add more chicken stock to serve it as a thick soup.

Appropriate seasonings for this are garlic and ginger, soy sauce, and/or Indian spices. And yogurt or sour cream!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 09:56:05 »
If you soak beans, drain, boil for 20min, drain, and then cook them you will reduce the starches that you don't have enzymes to process (I.e. much less gas).
This!
Thyme, marjoram, caraway and fennel seeds are supposed to help with reducing gas.

I change the water when cooking lentils also... don't know if that is really necessary but the water gets less foamy.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 10:26:15 »

I change the water when cooking lentils also... don't know if that is really necessary but the water gets less foamy.

Scientific research mostly debunks soaking to reduce flatulence, but it probably makes cooking easier.

I boil the lentils separately, discard the foamy (scummy?) water, and rinse once before adding the "clean" beans to whatever else.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 10:39:41 »

Scientific research mostly debunks soaking to reduce flatulence, but it probably makes cooking easier.

I boil the lentils separately, discard the foamy (scummy?) water, and rinse once before adding the "clean" beans to whatever else.

Soaking, yes. That's basically just for the cooking process. Oligosaccharides are soluble in water, but not very. The first boil and draining is intended to remove some of the offending starch polymers and is usually effective.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 14:18:33 »
Got it. Onions, carrots, lentils, (why are you soaking lentils?) tajin, annatto, ground turkey, and garlic powder. Preparing for kidney stones too. :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 06:05:48 »
Today I learned how to put wooden slabs above the water channels in a farm in Minecraft so you can walk across them to harvest stuff instead of jumping in the water to get across to the next line of seeds and risking crushing them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Skywalker

• INFP
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 10:11:40 »
Today I learned how to put wooden slabs above the water channels in a farm in Minecraft so you can walk across them to harvest stuff instead of jumping in the water to get across to the next line of seeds and risking crushing them.

This is a great innovation! I learned shortly after that you can put lily pads instead of slabs and they work better since they are about the same height as the surrounding soil.
WASD V2 - MX Browns | Topre Realforce 87UB 45g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 20:59:22 »

This is a great innovation! I learned shortly after that you can put lily pads instead of slabs and they work better since they are about the same height as the surrounding soil.

That's another good idea I can try!

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ