Author Topic: 3-Button mouse with separate scroll wheel?  (Read 35019 times)

Offline ergonaut

3-Button mouse with separate scroll wheel?
« on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 03:46:05 »
Hi,

I'm looking for a genuine 3-button mouse which also has a scroll wheel. I'm playing Rimworld a lot and I'm sick of having to use the scroll wheel as the middle button. Is there such a device on the market?

I would prefer wired, but would settle with wireless if I'd have to.

Offline yui

Re: 3-Button mouse with separate scroll wheel?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 03:55:29 »
i have never played rimworld, but wouldn't it be easier to remap to one of the mouse 4 or 5 button? assuming your mouse is a semi gamer mouse and not a very cheap 2 buttons + scrollwheel.
and even if Rimworld doesn't allow remapping, tools like AutoHotKeys will allow you to do that anyway. and if you are feeling particularly adventurous the middle button click is a switch next the the wheel, so you could mod your mouse to deport it somewhere else, or the wheel somewhere else, but those mods will get hard.
i do not know of any off the shelf mouse solution for you sadly.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 04:27:09 »
Thank you Yui.

I do indeed game on an old-school two-button mouse, perhaps it's time to just get a gaming mouse. However, I would really like to have three buttons on top; the gaming mouses I'm familiar with usually have two on top and the others somewhere on the sides, I'm not sure I'd like that. But I haven't really looked much at gaming mouses so far, maybe I should.

Do you have any recommendations in that area?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 05:15:20 »
It is sad that there are so few mice with a proper middle mouse button ... I've got these two in my collection (that I don't use):

Contour Unimouse ... It's an ergonomic mouse with tilt adjustable from semi-vertical to vertical. There is both a wired and a wireless variant (dongle). The shape is not for everyone. The buttons could be remapped in Windows/Mac software but because I use Linux I haven't tried it.

Not really a scroll wheel:
IBM or Lenovo Scrollpoint Mouse, which has a trackpoint-like joystick instead of scroll wheel .. and there is a small third button in front of it. Needs a driver, otherwise the joystick is too sensitive.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 November 2021, 05:21:58 by Findecanor »

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 07:01:54 »
Thank you Findecanor.

The Unimouse looks pretty great IMO, albeit a bit pricey (as it's always the case with nice things). But since I tend to switch my mouse hand every now and then, it might not be ideal for me. But still, I do like the concept!

The Lenovo one could also be nice. Do you have to extend your finger to reach the small middle button?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 09:31:37 »
The Lenovo one could also be nice. Do you have to extend your finger to reach the small middle button?
No problem for me. I have a man's hands but they are not huge.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 11:17:57 »
Logitech Anywhere mice.
The scroll wheel locks unlocks freewheel, it doesn't work as middle mouse button, middle mouse is a button behind the scroll.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 16:58:39 »
Thanks Leslieanne, I'll check it out. That button looks a bit small, but I'll have to try it physically to see if it works for me.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 07:19:23 »
I've been thinking about mouse design ... so let me rant:

Lots of mice have a gap between the buttons in front of the scroll wheel. In high-end mice, the wheel sits in a cradle and clicking the wheel moves the entire cradle. Why not extend the cradle into that gap in front of the wheel so that you could press it? Because of leverage, the button would not be too hard either.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 09:21:20 »
Why not extend the cradle into that gap in front of the wheel so that you could press it? Because of leverage, the button would not be too hard either.
Not sure how long or bendy your fingers are or how you hold your mice but my fingers would never be able to reach over the wheel and press said button even if it was extended forward.

Behind the wheel (and a separate button, like the Anywhere) is a better option since you aren't reaching over the top but even that can be a bit uncomfortable depending on how you grip your mouse since it has to be back quite a ways.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 21:07:22 »
This has 3 buttons and a scroll wheel on top:
https://3dconnexion.com/us/cadmouse/

I also ran across these, but I guess the supply is going to be very limited:
https://www.contourdesign.com/product/contour-mouse/
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 March 2022, 07:26:56 »
I also ran across these, but I guess the supply is going to be very limited:
https://www.contourdesign.com/product/contour-mouse/
I got one, but can't recommend it. It has got an icky rubberized coating. (rubber-like metal)

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 March 2022, 22:17:52 »
Logitech G600 has 3 buttons and a scroll wheel,all can be arbitrarily reprogrammed to anything you like,it also has 12 side buttons for all your macro needs.

Offline YayItsKate

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 10:43:24 »
It's ugly and it's clunky, but I genuinely love my 3 button Logitech g-600 mouse. I've used them for a decade and I'm on my 2nd. I have a backup in case this one dies, but it's going strong.

You can pry it from my cold dead hands.

Offline bcus_y_not

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 01:16:06 »
3Dconnexion makes mouse with 3 buttons and a scroll wheel, available wired or wireless
https://3dconnexion.com/uk/cadmouse/