Author Topic: [GB] TGR x MXF Koala - 24-Hour Raffle opens 2/25/2022  (Read 27313 times)

Offline maxf

[GB] TGR x MXF Koala - 24-Hour Raffle opens 2/25/2022
« on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 19:22:18 »
TGR x MXF Koala

I'm pleased to announce the first TGR x MXF collaboration:
A high-end OTD Koala inspired TKL tailored with YOUR personal touch. 

Yuktsi from TGR never disappoints, his attention to detail and pursuit of perfection is ever present.  After a successful small private run, I'm pleased to announce this is certainly NO exception!  So with that, for the first time ever, TGR will offer custom engraving options!  Both Yuktsi of TGR, and maxf aim to provide a bespoke keyboard acquisition experience unlike any other.  Here's what you can expect:

• Feb 25, 2022 Raffle Opens -- we're leveraging Koi's Discord authentication raffle system to run a 24+ hour global raffle window from 12 Noon EST on 2/25 and then closing at 12 Midnight EST on 2/26
  • Midnight Feb 26, 2022 -- Winners selected
  • Winners are responsible for paying the initial invoice of $1500 within 24 hours or will be re-raffled to another participant.  Shipping will be calculated and invoiced at a later date.
  • Winners will be invited to a private channel within maxf's Discord for customers service/questions.
  • Winner's will select colors for their unit, and work to get their engrave selection and placement approved within the first week.
  • We'll work with customers to ensure accuracy and satisfaction throughout the entire process.

------------------------------

Brand: TGR x MXF
Model: Koala TKL

• 2 build options: O-ring gasket or top mount
• Colors: Silver, Black, Red
• Materials: Anodized aluminum body, Two (2) brass weights both internal and external
• Typing Angle: 5deg
• Front Height: TBA
• Layout: WKL (w/ only split backspace and split right shift options)
• Custom USB-C PCB by Hiney

Price: $1500

Typing Videos by maxf

FAQ

How do I enter?
Please join the discord!  Koi's Discord Raffle and Instructions will be linked.

How many units will there be?
Twenty (20)

What plate options are available?
Aluminum only at this time!

Will you consider other color options?
NO - You will be limited to three (3) color options.  Silver, Black and Red.  You will be given the option to select one (1) color for each of the three primary components:
-Top Case
-Bottom Case
-Plate

max
https://instagram.com/maxfLIVE
https://discord.gg/FXJypMb

For more frequent updates, Please join the discord!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] TGR x MXF Koala - 24-Hour Raffle opens 2/25/2022
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 09:03:35 »
This is insane, but also approved  :eek:

A bit of a unique case where users need to register on Discord in order to even enter the raffle, but still - do remember to post updates here in order to adhere to the GB rules.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 09:22:45 »
Shame you can’t even pick a custom color for the case for $1500.

Offline Nvr_Smile

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 10:19:56 »
How are you going to state the following, but then only offer three color options? Can you call a custom engraving a "bespoke keyboard acquisition"?

Both Yuktsi of TGR, and maxf aim to provide a bespoke keyboard acquisition experience unlike any other

Then you are charging $1500 USD for a basic two piece TKL with a hiney pcb? What separates this board from any other TKL that is a third of the price beyond the price tag and engraving? You can't argue it is the colors, as most GB's allow you to pick the color of your board. You could argue that it is the custom engraving, but does it really cost $1000 for custom engraving, or are you just trying to maximize your profits?

Furthermore, TGR still hasn't finished shipping the last batch of Janes, and we are quickly approaching the three year mark. Why are they running another GB when they still have note finished the last one? And how do you plan on alleviating this, will this be another three year group buy?

This entire board just screams "money grab". Please don't buy this.

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 10:21:18 »
Ok I have some legitimate questions about this board. Mainly what makes this worth $1500 other than people are willing to pay that much for it? I feel like this is way past the point of diminishing returns but I could be missing something.

Offline TypicalOranges

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 10:43:37 »
While I can appreciate wanting Yuktsi to receive a larger amount of compensation for this project given the market value of some previous TGR products, if you expect the consumers to give back, I also think you should give back to the consumers. And while yeah, the flip prices on Janes and Alices are high and Yutksi sees none of that, what about the people that win the raffle and keep their TGRs forever? This is alienating to the real fans who HODL, no? Why not do something truly special with the clout the TGR brand has at the pricepoint you're targeting?

So few of the options (outside of engraving, which is quite cheap all things considered) are anywhere close to what I would call 'bespoke'. Commission pricing should have commission levels of options and details. I'd urge you to at least consider letting people who win the raffle vote on a collection of more custom colors to be offered for the buy, if not allowing for each individual to pick a custom ano/coating job.

Other enticing options might include more exotic materials: what about something like the Jane v2 CE rainbow weight? Or polished stainless accents?

For reference the GAF x TGR 910 project has a lot more going on than this and is cheaper. And I would even venture to say that the GAF branding is a much more desirable thing to have on a keyboard than the MAXF branding. So I'm really confused as to what the real value you're offering the community is here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 10:57:53 by TypicalOranges »

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 11:31:27 »
For more frequent updates, Please join the discord!

I joined the discord but can't find any updates, is there an update?

Offline 7empest

• ༼ つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 11:50:25 »
While I can appreciate wanting Yuktsi to receive a larger amount of compensation for this project given the market value of some previous TGR products, if you expect the consumers to give back, I also think you should give back to the consumers. And while yeah, the flip prices on Janes and Alices are high and Yutksi sees none of that, what about the people that win the raffle and keep their TGRs forever? This is alienating to the real fans who HODL, no? Why not do something truly special with the clout the TGR brand has at the pricepoint you're targeting?

So few of the options (outside of engraving, which is quite cheap all things considered) are anywhere close to what I would call 'bespoke'. Commission pricing should have commission levels of options and details. I'd urge you to at least consider letting people who win the raffle vote on a collection of more custom colors to be offered for the buy, if not allowing for each individual to pick a custom ano/coating job.

Other enticing options might include more exotic materials: what about something like the Jane v2 CE rainbow weight? Or polished stainless accents?

For reference the GAF x TGR 910 project has a lot more going on than this and is cheaper. And I would even venture to say that the GAF branding is a much more desirable thing to have on a keyboard than the MAXF branding. So I'm really confused as to what the real value you're offering the community is here.

I have to agree with this sentiment and many others expressing the same. To call this bespoke is more than just a misnomer. I can also appreciate the branding involved, I still don't see how it justifies the price, though that is just my opinion. As others have said: at least give the 20 people who actually pay this price the options for a REAL bespoke experience. This feels like it is far from that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 19:30:23 by 7empest »

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 11:59:43 »
If we consider similar 'group commissions' like with Keycult - those are more expensive per unit from what i've heard, and are just a different ano colour, etc. This is different in design to some degree from a normal Jane, atleast: Jane's Koala. I am someone who wouldn't join those things, but at the same time I'm not sure why those products, and stuff like Geistmaschine are socially acceptable but this is not, when the margin overall here is alot less.

If this was just a 20 unit Vickrey auction, and people could have their engraving of choice - the price at the end would be alot higher; closer to market price for TGR products and people wouldn't be complaining.

Weird how human psychology works

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 12:26:30 »
the margin overall here is alot less

are you privy to this information or are you just guessing
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 12:29:42 »
If we consider similar 'group commissions' like with Keycult - those are more expensive per unit from what i've heard, and are just a different ano colour, etc. This is different in design to some degree from a normal Jane, atleast: Jane's Koala. I am someone who wouldn't join those things, but at the same time I'm not sure why those products, and stuff like Geistmaschine are socially acceptable but this is not, when the margin overall here is alot less.

If this was just a 20 unit Vickrey auction, and people could have their engraving of choice - the price at the end would be alot higher; closer to market price for TGR products and people wouldn't be complaining.

I agree with what you said about what would have happened if this was Vickrey, but I think it is not as simple as that. I think it is about expectations getting shattered. Firstly there was quite a bit of hype about this board. Obviously having TGR name justifiably brings some hype and I think Max rebuilt the protos he has around 5473858437 times, so there were bunch of streams advertising it. Quite a bit of people wanted the board, including me without knowing the details.

Second issue is that I think people complaining about the price are the people who wouldn't join the Vickrey. If it was announced from the beginning that it will be Vickrey, most people would set their expectation based on that and people who can't afford Vickrey would have accepted that. People who can afford aftermarket or Vickrey are already going to buy it regardless of the price and method of sale, so it is the other group who were expecting a regular TGR priced GB that is complaining.

All that said, I personally don't see the reason to complain to be honest. Since it is possible to not like a board due to its look, layout, materials picked... and price. When you don't like a board for any other reason then price, you just skip the buy, and price is the same thing. I know the counter argument to this is that we should fight against prices getting ridiculous, but in my opinion if there are enough people joining expensive GBs then prices are going to naturally increase, and if there aren't they will decrease. Don't think it is something that can be solved with forum posts, as what matters in the end is how many people are paying for it.

Offline TypicalOranges

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 12:30:41 »

I'm guessing it's a guess (and one that looks pretty wrong considering my experience with quoting machine time for parts in an industrial manufacturing setting)

Offline kiyoboard

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 12:33:07 »

I agree with what you said about what would have happened if this was Vickrey, but I think it is not as simple as that. I think it is about expectations getting shattered. Firstly there was quite a bit of hype about this board. Obviously having TGR name justifiably brings some hype and I think Max rebuilt the protos he has around 5473858437 times, so there were bunch of streams advertising it. Quite a bit of people wanted the board, including me without knowing the details.

Second issue is that I think people complaining about the price are the people who wouldn't join the Vickrey. If it was announced from the beginning that it will be Vickrey, most people would set their expectation based on that and people who can't afford Vickrey would have accepted that. People who can afford aftermarket or Vickrey are already going to buy it regardless of the price and method of sale, so it is the other group who were expecting a regular TGR priced GB that is complaining.

All that said, I personally don't see the reason to complain to be honest. Since it is possible to not like a board due to its look, layout, materials picked... and price. When you don't like a board for any other reason then price, you just skip the buy, and price is the same thing. I know the counter argument to this is that we should fight against prices getting ridiculous, but in my opinion if there are enough people joining expensive GBs then prices are going to naturally increase, and if there aren't they will decrease. Don't think it is something that can be solved with forum posts, as what matters in the end is how many people are paying for it.

Edit: Also I think it rubbed the people the wrong way that this is mentioned customizable but just with engraving(which is essentially free) and 3 colors.

Edit Edit: I wanted to add the edit to the previous post, but somehow posted it again :( Apologies
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 12:35:14 by kiyoboard »

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 13:14:41 »
The real hobby is complaining.

Good luck with the GB, this is a fantastic keyboard and I am looking forward to it.  :thumb:

Offline mcmcmc

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 13:33:03 »
i have some questions. how much involvement did yuktsi have? what contribution did yuktsi have? what's yuktsi opinion on this pricing? having a TGR logo engraved on the board doesn't mean anything to me. i just don't want this to be like Hyte situation where they said "Alex (alexotos) Medeot and Marcia (apiary keyboards) Roberts have provided feedback on the design" which is not true. regarding the price i am not fond of it, and a lot of people have already taked about that. give us a price break down, so we know why it costs $1500 (although a rectangle shouldn't costs that much, but ok).
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 13:37:11 by mcmcmc »

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 14:13:15 »
|                                                                                                                    |
|                                                                                                                    |
|_______________________________________________________TGR|

This rectangle costs $2K USD. There we have it elegant design with the TGR logo with the same amount of context about what they contributed to the design. Please inform us all about the design process.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 14:15:19 »
xposting my thoughts from elsewhere

this is some incredibly low effort ****, which I think is what annoys me most about this. sure it's well designed, but it's just another OTD clone (with a TGR/maxf logo slapped on it), for $1500 + shipping.

really disappointing. it's not so much that it's $1500, commissions and **** have run for as much if not more.

what irks me is that it's a $1500 clone with the TGR name associated with it, and a ribbed weight. it's low effort work.

if yuktsi is gettin his bag from it, great. he's made some incredible boards, and he doesn't always need to push the envelope developing something new and great. just feels like a cash grab.

my .02

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 14:19:30 »

no way - it has to be a guess (and probably a wrong one). this is a "basic b*tch" TKL for the most part designed for simple machining, while geist has huge, hollowed out elements. not to mention the materials used for the expensive geist he's referring to.

ither way, i find the appeal and aftermarket price with the TGR jane v2,alice etc are the age and how they heavily inspired a majority of the keyboard designs people are making today. there is a reason why so many people are selling their TOMO spots, it is because the TGR tomo doesn't have that same magic because it's not as groundbreaking and fundamental as the jane and alice. there is literally no reason this should be $1500 just because of the TGR name, because the TGR name itself is not what gives the original jane and alice value in my opinion. it's the design itself, and the time that these designs came to the market that makes them sell for so much. this is just a koala which has been dozens if not hundreds of times, with the TGR name stuck on there and a $1000 markup (because really this should be in the mid $400s)
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2022, 16:47:27 by SDKCAMPING »
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 14:32:20 »
More

no way - it has to be a guess (and probably a wrong one). this is a "basic b*tch" TKL for the most part designed for simple machining, while geist has huge, hollowed out elements. not to mention the materials used for the expensive geist he's referring to.

either way, i find the appeal and aftermarket price with the TGR jane v2,alice etc are the age and how they heavily inspired a majority of the keyboard designs people are making today. there is a reason why so many people are selling their TOMO spots, it is because the TGR tomo doesn't have that same magic because it's not as groundbreaking and fundamental as the jane and alice. there is literally no reason this should be $1500 just because of the TGR name, because the TGR name itself is not what gives the original jane and alice value in my opinion. it's the design itself, and the time that these designs came to the market that makes them sell for so much. this is just a koala which has been dozens if not hundreds of times, with the TGR name stuck on there and a $1000 markup (because really this should be in the mid $400s)

you're guessing too and that doesn't make you any better than the first guy

and as far as the price of this board goes, my opinion is as follows: it's not the first $1500 board, and it won't be the last. i think dgneo covers it well enough.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 14:52:40 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline .jan

• keebsta
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 14:55:07 »
gmail lookin logo

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 15:42:39 »

Are you calling into question whether or not Geistmaschine is making orders of magnitude more net profit with their hundreds of units at a higher price? I don't see how that isn't obvious. The profit margin per board is multiplied by the number of units.

Everyone knows that the lower the unit count, the higher price quoted per unit by the manufacturer.
As someone who has gotten alot of quotes from the same manufacturer for different designs, and has seen the quotes my friends have gotten for their designs, it's not hard to estimate the price quoted with some degree of accuracy. Although as you can see above - that is not what I was saying originally.

I'm not sure why you, a person who has vested interest in and publicly hyped up a keyboard project that was a Jane clone with Koala sides that was significantly more expensive than the original, can turn around and say you agree with a comment that says this is a low effort project charging too much. Seems a bit hypocritical to say the least.

Personally as a designer I would always want to do something new for different projects. I agree there isn't much original here, but the market doesn't seem to care about that, as we have all seen. If anything, I don't see why it's acceptable for other people to cash out on the TGR brand, but not Yuktsi themselves.

Offline EnjoyMyInSec

• 60% or bust
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 15:52:36 »
Sad that this green won't be available, was hyped for that color

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 15:53:47 »

a person who has vested interest

how do i have a vested interest in this board that i cannot afford

Offline kiyoboard

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 15:59:00 »

I think they are talking about CW80

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 16:00:58 »

You can't afford it? You own it
Puddsy reading comprehension

282999-0

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 16:08:33 »

(Attachment Link)

i have publicly said in a few places that i'm not making any money off cruel world projects i'm working on (by my own choice to keep prices down), nor am i ever going to sell that board as it was the first CW87 proto.

if you have beef with me you're welcome to DM me, i was giving you the benefit of the doubt since this isn't my thread.

Offline mta

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 16:23:59 »
Is there a reason why this is literally being called a "Koala" and not something else? That's one of the stranger aspects of this board IMO.

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 16:27:31 »

(Attachment Link)
I don't really post on Geekhack that much as I find very little productive conversation happens here anymore but just to clarify I sold Puddsy my first prototype at a heavy, heavy discount as he's a friend of mine. There's no incentive for him to support what I do otherwise.

If you want to critique my use of referencing design language that I like/pass conjecture about the assumed costs of my project you're more than welcome to do it in my groupbuy thread - this post seems like a poor outlet for it. That said I'm excited to see this project come to fruition even if I can't afford to drop this kinda coin on keyboards myself.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 16:37:19 by cruelworld »

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 17:10:23 »

(Attachment Link)
I don't really post on Geekhack that much as I find very little productive conversation happens here anymore but just to clarify I sold Puddsy my first prototype at a heavy, heavy discount as he's a friend of mine. There's no incentive for him to support what I do otherwise.

If you want to critique my use of referencing design language that I like/pass conjecture about the assumed costs of my project you're more than welcome to do it in my groupbuy thread - this post seems like a poor outlet for it. That said I'm excited to see this project come to fruition even if I can't afford to drop this kinda coin on keyboards myself.

I would think offering someone a heavy discount on your projects is incentive enough for anyone to give you a glowing review, regardless of the product.

Kind of a silly thing to say.

Offline bshendy

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 17:14:52 »
With the (limited) personalization services being offered alongside the keyboard itself, this seems like a raffle for a handicapped commission more than anything else...

(Handicapped meaning there are only 3 colors to choose from)
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 17:21:50 by bshendy »

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 17:35:57 »

(Attachment Link)

I would think offering someone a heavy discount on your projects is incentive enough for anyone to give you a glowing review, regardless of the product.

I should specify - he has no financial incentive to support my product as I thought was originally implied. He used it at a meetup and offered to buy it.

I guess I think it's a little disingenuous that a subsection of this hobby is offended that newer users are questioning the value and production costs of a project because of who it's produced by while it's readily encouraged for other 'similar' projects. Granted I'm of the opinion that if you don't like the cost of something based on what it offers, you simply skip it.

Perhaps if Lil took that energy and put it into making a large scale buy that didn't get cancelled due to lack of interest they wouldn't have so many soft feelings about what I'm doing or who supports me and would instead utilize this groupbuy thread to support its makers/talk about its manufacturing cost in a productive way.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 18:04:26 by cruelworld »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 17:38:13 »
More

(Attachment Link)

I should specify - he has no financial incentive to support my product as I thought was originally implied. He used it at a meetup and offered to buy it.

I guess I think it's a little disingenuous that a subsection of this hobby is offended that newer users are questioning the value and production costs of a project because of who it's produced by while it's readily encouraged for other 'similar' projects. Granted I'm of the opinion that you don't like the cost of something based on what it offers, you simply skip it.

i'm backing this up as true and i agree with the quoted part of the post.

if you want to fight out the rest of this beef you're welcome to DM either me or CW.

as always, at the end of the day it's just a keyboard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 17:49:05 by Puddsy »

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 17:48:35 »
I would pay $1500 for a TGR board, but -$1000 for a maxf, so this board should be $500 imo
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 18:01:54 »
They should keep this a private run like their first one was. Releasing 20 units publicly at this price point and just offering engravings without even custom colour options is simply condescension. I only get the vibe of “you aren’t our friend so you get a pseudo commisson for $1500” from this post.

Also comparing to keycult comissions is very unfair since almost anyone who wanted one was able to get in the queue last summer. That itself is worth the price for many people. With them, the product is truly bespoke. Not that I would ever buy it, but I wouldnt criticize it either. For this product, I feel the need to criticize.

Lastly, judging from talks in his discord, I think Maxf just posted it here because he thought the backlash was due to reddit being the wrong platform. Well, thats a tiny bit arrogant in denying that there is nothing wrong with your product’s offerings.

GLWS.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 18:04:13 by elvenmonster »

Offline Shvrk

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 18:19:01 »
Lastly, judging from talks in his discord, I think Maxf just posted it here because he thought the backlash was due to reddit being the wrong platform. Well, thats a tiny bit arrogant in denying that there is nothing wrong with your product’s offerings.

Couldn't die on his feet I guess.

Offline August

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 18:38:38 »
Also comparing to keycult comissions is very unfair since almost anyone who wanted one was able to get in the queue last summer. With them, the product is truly bespoke.

It's as bespoke as a JWK recolor; the same product made over in a different color.

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 18:59:52 »
Also comparing to keycult comissions is very unfair since almost anyone who wanted one was able to get in the queue last summer. With them, the product is truly bespoke.

It's as bespoke as a JWK recolor; the same product made over in a different color.

People care a lot about unique anodization colours (which is much harder to achieve than just engraving). Just peek into the Matrix labs discord and you'll know.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 19:03:23 by elvenmonster »

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 19:01:55 »
(lmao geekhack giving me skill issues)
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 19:04:55 by elvenmonster »

Offline lonalde

• Leicaaaaa
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 19:28:12 »
lol

Offline yemeisong

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 19:45:19 »
cringe

Offline P103

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 19:48:30 »

there is a reason why so many people are selling their TOMO spots, it is because the TGR tomo doesn't have that same magic because it's not as groundbreaking and fundamental as the jane and alice.

What magic are we talking about here? People don't even have TOMO in hand but they are selling it, and the first assumption is because there's no magic? Not that people are selling because they fomo'd themselves into buying it?

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 20:02:42 »

there is a reason why so many people are selling their TOMO spots, it is because the TGR tomo doesn't have that same magic because it's not as groundbreaking and fundamental as the jane and alice.

What magic are we talking about here? People don't even have TOMO in hand but they are selling it, and the first assumption is because there's no magic? Not that people are selling because they fomo'd themselves into buying it?

yes, people are selling because they bought to flip, then realized it's just a very nice and solidly designed board but probably won't flip for insane prices.

to be honest i actually did some reading on other channels and see that some have said this is actually more  like a public commission so that explains the price tag.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2022, 16:36:45 by SDKCAMPING »

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 20:03:59 »
Hi people, while I think people's response towards a $1500 board that they know nothing about is understandable, I feel I should say something. The Koala or the board you saw is a board that I made for Max, someone who has been supporting the TGR since the beginning. When he approached me to design a board for him, I agreed to help. He wanted a board with the Koala curves with the weight that I used in one of the Jane prototypes. So I did that and several other things that I think would make the board looks better. The bezels, the curves etc., based on the Jane v2 CE. A few units were then made for him and his friends. I was doing these all at my cost. Anyone who had gotten a commission directly from me would know. Heck, I even paid for the remake out of my pocket when the manufacturer accidentally engraved all the tops with Max’s signature. What did I gain from this? Probably some publicity from Max’s streaming and a bunch of perfectly working boards with his name engraved, that I have no use for.

Now, these 20 units and 1500. I agreed with many things mentioned above, but not cash grab. There are so many things that I could have done over the years if I want to do so. And seriously, how much cash to grab from 20 units? I probably don't even get enough pay an Alice from mm.
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 20:19:53 »
i cant remember the last time i was less interested in new board lol
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 20:22:33 »
definitely not a cash grab since it's only 20 units, but 1500 is off putting. I think this is better labelled as a group commission than a collaboration since that at least makes the price make sense because it implies you are getting paid for the commission work with most of the price tag. i have seen many group commissions from designers that cost similarly which i never batted an eye at, but this one was surprising at first since it didn't feel that way at all

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 20:25:30 »
Is there a reason why this is literally being called a "Koala" and not something else? That's one of the stranger aspects of this board IMO.
Personally, I think the curves is what made the Koala a Koala. I guess Max wants to pay homage and respect to the original Koala. Alight this might the least koala of all the koala inspired boards. I imagine if I designed Koala, I would prefer so. Rather naming it something else and call it his design.

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 20:31:18 »
Heck, I even paid for the remake out of my pocket when the manufacturer accidentally engraved all the tops with Max’s signature. What did I gain from this? Probably some publicity from Max’s streaming and a bunch of perfectly working boards with his name engraved, that I have no use for.

Really pains to hear this and I totally sympathize. Will not claim to know anything about the internal processes but is accounting for such issues is the reason for the price tag? I feel the manufacturer should be held accountable for this though and not you or Maxf.

Another reason why I believe that engravings are the least appealing customization options, not just for the consumer now but sounds like also for the runners.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 20:38:33 »
Heck, I even paid for the remake out of my pocket when the manufacturer accidentally engraved all the tops with Max’s signature. What did I gain from this? Probably some publicity from Max’s streaming and a bunch of perfectly working boards with his name engraved, that I have no use for.

Really pains to hear this and I totally sympathize. Will not claim to know anything about the internal processes but is accounting for such issues is the reason for the price tag? I feel the manufacturer should be held accountable for this though and not you or Maxf.

Another reason why I believe that engravings are the least appealing customization options, not just for the consumer now but sounds like also for the runners.
No manu would like to do only a few boards, and each with different logo engravings. Plus there's no plan to mass produce this. It's more of a favor when they agree to do so for you, and I don't it's right to make them pay. We also made 2 sets per commission unit, in case of any issues with the finishing.

My collection

More

Offline maxf

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 20:56:42 »
Biggest mistake I made was not drawing more of a concise description for this. It really is a group commission, not a group buy.  To better explain, Yuktsi and I were chatting one day about the idea of an artisan commission process transferred to the keyboard.  Much of this angle comes from that idea.  With that:

I limit options (colors in this instance), set a standard design, and then allow for some custom elements (engraving was what I thought made this the most unique and special for the customer).

I won't draw comparisons to all other commission services that are out there, but if you research you'll find the price lower here than anywhere else.  As it should be since it's limiting options to help with QC/management and time/effort.  All that said - I'm still really excited to bring this to some more friends this time around. I might do a small raffle for some supporters in Discord/Stream perhaps and also might make another run more public in the future. 

Thanks for chiming in as well, Yuktsi.  You hit the nail on the head when you assumed my naming this was an homage to the OTD Koala.  I didn't mean to offend anyone with this.  That side profile has been worked and reworked so many times at this point that it feels like free domain.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:06:41 »
excited for this  :cool:

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:08:45 »

No manu would like to do only a few boards, and each with different logo engravings. Plus there's no plan to mass produce this. It's more of a favor when they agree to do so for you, and I don't it's right to make them pay. We also made 2 sets per commission unit, in case of any issues with the finishing.

How is this very different from manufacturers engraving different serial numbers on their keyboards? Sure maybe numbers are an easier thing to engrave I guess, but sounds like a similar issue. Also engraving is only on the top piece right? The tops seems to be a fairly standard design, nothing like an Andromeda or anything. You can always make extra tops without engravings and sell that extra stock to produce value out of it. That being not your style is your call and it seems like the customer is paying for that with the $1500 price tag. Again, I am not against the high pricing but what is being offered seems severely limited.

If you are making no money out of this and it still costs so high while also leaving you with a ton of extra units that will remain unused, from the outside it just looks like the processes involved are very inefficient and wasteful, and it is this what the customers are actually paying for. I would not mistake it for higher quality.

Again, I say all this only because it was made public as a raffle, and is not a private run.

Offline Hugs94

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:40:43 »
I imagine that people who are complaining about price are thinking something like this:
"Wahhh, my favorite designer is making a keyboard that doesn't appeal to me for [insert reason here]. I need to complain about it instead of just looking for the next thing that appeals to me"

Seriously. What is going on through your minds. If its price too high, just move on. The product isn't for you. The moment you had an issue with something about the board that doesn't suit your needs, the product is not for you. I cannot imagine you have actually spent your time even getting the effort to type a response to it.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:53:27 »

How is this very different from manufacturers engraving different serial numbers on their keyboards? Sure maybe numbers are an easier thing to engrave I guess, but sounds like a similar issue. Also engraving is only on the top piece right? The tops seems to be a fairly standard design, nothing like an Andromeda or anything. You can always make extra tops without engravings and sell that extra stock to produce value out of it. That being not your style is your call and it seems like the customer is paying for that with the $1500 price tag. Again, I am not against the high pricing but what is being offered seems severely limited.

If you are making no money out of this and it still costs so high while also leaving you with a ton of extra units that will remain unused, from the outside it just looks like the processes involved are very inefficient and wasteful, and it is this what the customers are actually paying for. I would not mistake it for higher quality.

Again, I say all this only because it was made public as a raffle, and is not a private run.
You might be right. If this is board with serial number, we could easily make some extras. We could even sell the light flawed one as B-stock. I personally done mind having a tiny white dot on my board. But if this has something very personal to you engraved, I don’t think you would want anyone else to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My collection

More

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:54:08 »
I imagine that people who are complaining about price are thinking something like this:
"Wahhh, my favorite designer is making a keyboard that doesn't appeal to me for [insert reason here]. I need to complain about it instead of just looking for the next thing that appeals to me"

Seriously. What is going on through your minds. If its price too high, just move on. The product isn't for you. The moment you had an issue with something about the board that doesn't suit your needs, the product is not for you. I cannot imagine you have actually spent your time even getting the effort to type a response to it.
I mean. People are allowed to comment on stuff. It's literally what a forum is for.

That said, the simplicity of the design just seems high for the price, especially with color limitations. But I'm sure 20 people will jump on board. Personally I'm excited to see what yuktsi drops next, rather than jumping on someone else's dream TGR commission for a high price.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:56:01 by Zeelobby »

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:54:56 »

Your comment reads like “Why is there a comments section on Geekhack?”. This is a community where IC/GB attempts get scrutinized by streamers and other community members all the time. Why should some GBs be exempt from criticism while others get newspaper’d and spooned every week publicly? The moment something is made public, it is subject to opinions, no matter how biased they are and I am sure TGR and Maxf completely expected that before going public. Were they averse to people commenting, would have stayed private.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:56:58 »
And I do get a cut of the profit from, a reasonably good cut like what Max has mentioned. Just that with the little no. of units involved and the amount risk/work, I don’t agree with people saying that this is a cash grab.

My collection

More

Offline Hugs94

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 22:04:22 »

Your comment reads like “Why is there a comments section on Geekhack?”. This is a community where IC/GB attempts get scrutinized by streamers and other community members all the time. Why should some GBs be exempt from criticism while others get newspaper’d and spooned every week publicly? The moment something is made public, it is subject to opinions, no matter how biased they are and I am sure TGR and Maxf completely expected that before going public. Were they averse to people commenting, would have stayed private.

I'm down for meming the post. 1 liners from people here and there. But it feels like there are people who are way to into it.
Like people who really want this board but with [a choice in colors, choice in material finishes] with some internalized justification that "if I can get those things, than I can justify this purchase". And at that point I think those people are lost.

Offline Sturmtiger

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 22:07:53 »
Who knew a community built around hype and exclusivity would come to this, I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you.

Otherwise, good luck with the board and hope whoever gets it enjoys it!

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 22:11:32 »

I mean. People are allowed to comment on stuff. It's literally what a forum is for.

That said, the simplicity of the design just seems high for the price, especially with color limitations. But I'm sure 20 people will jump on board. Personally I'm excited to see what yuktsi drops next, rather than jumping on someone else's dream TGR commission for a high price.

You are right. I made those boards because they don’t exist in the way I like them to be. But I’ve been in this hobby for so long and I think I have gotten most of the boards I want. I not sure what coming next might excite you. Maybe a 40% with feet?

My collection

More

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 22:15:19 »
Maybe a 40% with feet?

Please

more feet

please

👣
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 22:28:53 »
And I do get a cut of the profit from, a reasonably good cut like what Max has mentioned. Just that with the little no. of units involved and the amount risk/work, I don’t agree with people saying that this is a cash grab.

if it was a cash grab it would have been a 15 unit vickrey.

i know better than to further engage with this thread, but i have a few small thoughts.

a) people arbitrarily choose what they want to be mad at. not just in this hobby but generally. i think the sense that everyone should own an "endgame" board is one that is full of entitlement. buy what you can afford, and enjoy keyboards within your budget. there has never been a better time to buy a low end, or ESPECIALLY a mid range keyboard. there are so many good options in the 350-500 range, i wish we had this much selection when i got into keyboards.

aa) i think a lot of new members of the hobby feel entitled to "endgame" boards like this. i understand that animosity and desire to have something you want, but honestly, if you just want it for clout, nobody cares. people care that i own an alice, but that's because i have clout for different reasons (some good, some bad), not because i own that board. buy things because YOU want them. not because you want other people to want them.

ab) i think getting upset about this being another koala copy is kind of shortsighted. if you get upset about one you should get upset about them all. but i see some of the same people ****ting on this for being a koala copy praising other boards that are also koala copies. it's not like we can go back to korellas or eungsam and get their stamp of approval for every board that uses their designs.

b) is this board too expensive? i say sure, but i know there are people who will pay for this. there are hundreds of people who are willing to shell out for keycult and bauer commissions. my personal stance is that anything over 750 is too much for any keyboard, but i've paid more than that for non-keyboard hobby items in the past, so i guess it just depends on what one is willing to spend. like has been mentioned a few times in this thread, there have been $1500 boards before, and there will be more after this. don't buy something if you don't want it/can't afford it.

ba) before anyone asks the most i've ever paid for a keyboard was ~730 for my little z, not including what i paid lightning to build it. my mira is not far behind, i paid 725 to buy it back from a friend who rebuilt it and asked me to reimburse him for the parts.

bb) saying that this is the logical end product of a community built around hype is kinda shortsighted as well, and a good signifier that you haven't been around that long. some of us remember the nasby koalas way back in the day, which also GB'd at 1500 (in like 2014 i think!). and i think they sold more units than are being offered here, AND those were clones made from stolen files. i reiterate that this is nothing new.

c) sam is in my top three of most important people in the keyboard community, ever. not just in terms of keyboard design, but also in terms of growing the community and making it a better place. he has given us so much and has reaped so few of the benefits of what he has done for the rest of us. i think if he wants to get paid he should get his money. like he mentions, he gets no money when someone sells a jane on MM for 6k after he sold his at GB For 1/10th that price. i know what i paid for my alice, and i know how much money i've been offered for it. let the man do what he wants. he's earned it more than any of us.

in closing, do i think people are right to be upset about this? not really. i think if this is your first time seeing something like this it can be jarring, but honestly to those of us who have been around for a while it's nothing new. i think if you're genuinely upset about a product like this existing, then you really need to consider your feelings about keyboards. do i think this board has some problems? sure, but mostly i'd just want more color choices and a custom engraving at that price, but i don't think i'll be buying so what does my opinion really matter?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2022, 22:50:01 by Puddsy »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 22:29:46 »

You are right. I made those boards because they don’t exist in the way I like them to be. But I’ve been in this hobby for so long and I think I have gotten most of the boards I want. I not sure what coming next might excite you. Maybe a 40% with feet?

Lol. Only if it's got toblerone foot.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 23:46:37 »
Good luck with the sale and good luck to the raffle entrants!

Offline GaNeBaL

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 02:54:17 »
glws
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 06:23:30 »
How many years would this take to deliver and what do you think bespoke means?

Offline EnjoyMyInSec

• 60% or bust
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 07:50:09 »
A bit sad to see that some drama happened because the post was rushed and was missing information.
While I'm at it, isn't the shipping ETA a must in order for a GB to be approved ?

Offline maxf

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 08:09:28 »
Biggest mistake I made was not drawing more of a concise description for this. It really is a group commission, not a group buy.  To better explain, Yuktsi and I were chatting one day about the idea of an artisan commission process transferred to the keyboard.  Much of this angle comes from that idea.  With that:

I limit options (colors in this instance), set a standard design, and then allow for some custom elements (engraving was what I thought made this the most unique and special for the customer).

I won't draw comparisons to all other commission services that are out there, but if you research you'll find the price lower here than anywhere else.  As it should be since it's limiting options to help with QC/management and time/effort.  All that said - I'm still really excited to bring this to some more friends this time around. I might do a small raffle for some supporters in Discord/Stream perhaps and also might make another run more public in the future. 

Thanks for chiming in as well, Yuktsi.  You hit the nail on the head when you assumed my naming this was an homage to the OTD Koala.  I didn't mean to offend anyone with this.  That side profile has been worked and reworked so many times at this point that it feels like free domain.

I submitted this post the same time I made my Reddit thread (which has already been deleted), and I left this post open a bit longer because there was some good discussion going back and forth that I found interesting.  Much more constructive than on Reddit, and I'm sincerely thankful for that.

See my post above for a few notes I had, and a change with how I'm moving forward with this sale this time around.  I'll be putting some thought into how I want to return to this and bring it to more customers in the future.  Discord will remain a good place for more frequent updates as that time comes.  To those excited about this project, I'll do my utmost to bring it to more people in time.

Thanks for your support. (Locking this thread for now.)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 09:55:51 »
While I'm at it, isn't the shipping ETA a must in order for a GB to be approved ?

Yes. In this case, I mistakenly approved without an ETA listed, and followed up with maxf via PM to add one. This has not happened yet, despite active posting in the thread.

I submitted this post the same time I made my Reddit thread (which has already been deleted), and I left this post open a bit longer because there was some good discussion going back and forth that I found interesting.  Much more constructive than on Reddit, and I'm sincerely thankful for that.

See my post above for a few notes I had, and a change with how I'm moving forward with this sale this time around.  I'll be putting some thought into how I want to return to this and bring it to more customers in the future.  Discord will remain a good place for more frequent updates as that time comes.  To those excited about this project, I'll do my utmost to bring it to more people in time.

Please update the OP with an estimated fulfillment date, per my request yesterday via PM.

I had also asked about delivery delays associated with the Jane CE and some additional clarification regarding manufacturer and fulfillment details for this buy. Please comment here about this as well.

Lastly, a locked Group Buy thread signifies that the buy is complete and all units are shipped. As that is not the case, I have unlocked the thread. As you know, all updates must be posted here in addition to your Discord server, and anyone (buyer or not) can comment on the board and buy progress.

Offline RachaXD

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 11:06:04 »
If more thought had been put into marketing this, it would've been received differently by the community.
- Stating GB but should've said it was more like group commission. This is extremely off-putting when you perceive it as a GB but most would likely not bat an eye if it was marketed as a group commission
- Using "bespoke" as a buzzword when it's not truly bespoke. Only offering a custom engraving and a complementary building service doesn't make it bespoke unfortunately. People are most likely expecting a keyboard fully tailored to their specifications in regard to also color, weight material, WK/WKL, plate options (how is there only an alu plate as an option?). An engving is cool and all but still I guess you could explain how that drives up price?
- Not going more in-depth in the intentions of doing this project like with what yuktsi was saying earlier in the thread for those that want to know the thought behind the design since you've got the Koala name on there

While I get that this was intended for the absolute enthusiasts that will pay for the board and the experience, posting on Reddit where the community is now majorly shifting to mid-range prices and below will definitely have negative backlash. If people over there are complaining about GMK all day long this did not help lol.

Suggestions for next time:
- Make friends that would've told you that posting these would have negative feedback. I'm not surprised at all that this was received badly. One of the biggest things I've noticed about the hobby on the higher-end side is that there's an echo chamber where people will simp all day long because you're homies and won't give constructive criticism because they're scared you'll get mad. Positive vibes are great but there's a point where that shifts to toxic positivity. If you don't care, then that's okay and just offer this to those you know who would've been all for it
- Marketing is extremely important and you gotta understand your audience

For everyone saying "if you don't like the price just move on", that's fine but I think as a community we should be trying our best to to keep designers, GB runners, and vendors honest. If this was a cash grab, as a community we should definitely call that out and not let people be taken advantage of because of hype, brand, etc.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 11:58:49 »

(Attachment Link)

I guess I think it's a little disingenuous that a subsection of this hobby is offended that newer users are questioning the value and production costs of a project because of who it's produced by while it's readily encouraged for other 'similar' projects. Granted I'm of the opinion that if you don't like the cost of something based on what it offers, you simply skip it.

Perhaps if Lil took that energy and put it into making a large scale buy that didn't get cancelled due to lack of interest they wouldn't have so many soft feelings about what I'm doing or who supports me and would instead utilize this groupbuy thread to support its makers/talk about its manufacturing cost in a productive way.

I don't know what to tell you...If you don't understand that offering someone a deep discount on buying your product as financial incentive, you need to take a lesson in economics. That is the definition of a direct financial incentive. You sold it to him at a discounted price, regardless of him liking it or not.

You can try to spin it anyway you want, but again, your argument is just silly.

Offline Aerysten

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 12:26:07 »

(Attachment Link)

I don't know what to tell you...If you don't understand that offering someone a deep discount on buying your product as financial incentive, you need to take a lesson in economics. That is the definition of a direct financial incentive. You sold it to him at a discounted price, regardless of him liking it or not.

Why is this still being talked about on a thread about a totally different board? Take it private or leave it be.

Anyways, GLWS! Not for me in terms of pricing right now (moving is a pain), but I hope everyone who gets one enjoys.

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 13:03:32 »

Again there was no compensation for Puddys' glowing review - if there was I certainly didn't get my moneys worth for such a paltry three word endorsement.

As previously stated if you find me selling a friend a prototype at a discount to be such a grand transgression worthy of hyper-fixating on you're more than welcome to hit me up in my own groupbuy listing as I'm pretty sure the makers of this post as well as moderation are as uninterested in this needlessly pedantic conversation as I am. This keyboard is cool, your time is better spent giving it the praise it deserves rather than trying to argue with me over the imagined marketing tactics of a groupbuy that's already ran.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 February 2022, 13:20:57 by cruelworld »

Offline DubbTom

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 13:26:34 »
If these were being flipped on mechmarket for $1500 people wouldn't hesitate to buy and the comments would be filled with "nice price glws". Do I think the price is high for a groupbuy? Yes. But for a watered down TGR commission I think the price is more than fair. At the end of the day high prices for hyped keyboards is what this hobby has become and I'd much rather pay the premium to a reputable designer than someone just looking to make a quick buck.
poker II

Offline Tyson

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 13:40:54 »
If these were being flipped on mechmarket for $1500 people wouldn't hesitate to buy and the comments would be filled with "nice price glws". Do I think the price is high for a groupbuy? Yes. But for a watered down TGR commission I think the price is more than fair. At the end of the day high prices for hyped keyboards is what this hobby has become and I'd much rather pay the premium to a reputable designer than someone just looking to make a quick buck.

Honestly the community would have gone crazy if Max and Sam had these made already and just listed them on r/mm for $1500. People would see a TGR board and however many were made would have instantly sold out. Nobody that's in the hobby and knows the value of the boards would have even questioned it. lol Just make a sale post and have them all listed individually. Stolenweapon does that all the time with all of his crazy high end stuff anyways. One day I hope I have the kind of money that dude has. Kudos to whatever he does for a living LOL
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 February 2022, 13:42:48 by Tyson »

Offline stolenweapon

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 14:04:29 »

Honestly the community would have gone crazy if Max and Sam had these made already and just listed them on r/mm for $1500. People would see a TGR board and however many were made would have instantly sold out. Nobody that's in the hobby and knows the value of the boards would have even questioned it. lol Just make a sale post and have them all listed individually. Stolenweapon does that all the time with all of his crazy high end stuff anyways. One day I hope I have the kind of money that dude has. Kudos to whatever he does for a living LOL

I have no skin in the game. Just my 2 cents - I personally think the maker can decide how much to price it, and if you don't want it don't buy it. No one is forced to buy it, and there are many other great boards out there. No one bats an eye when OTDs go for thousands, nor KC auctions that go for way more than this, so why should this matter/be an exception? I would much rather have the value accrue to the designer/maker than the raffle winner anyways:

1. The designer/maker should deserve what the board is "worth" (in the market, although that is hard to determine)
2. It would deter people from entering the raffle simply to resell the board. Interestingly enough, I would argue that this phenomenon may, over time, lower the price of the board and, thus, make it more accessible
OTD 356CL Black | 2x OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356.2 Factory Gray Ano 1/2 | 2x OTD 356.2 Blue Grey | 2x OTD 356mini Military Green | 5x OTD 356mini Red | OTD 356mini Black | 9x OTD 360C Apple Silver | 2x OTD 360C Hyper Grey | OTD 356L | 2x OTD 356N MKII Black | OTD 456GT Pink & Black | 3x OTD 356 Pad (2x Black, 1x Military Green) | 2x OTD Koala WKL Silver & Black | OTD Koala WK Silver & Black

TGR Jane V2 Pink Prototype 1/1 | TGR Jane V2 1/2 Brushed Toblerone Weight | 8x TGR Jane V2 | 6x TGR Jane CE V2 | TGR 910RE | TGR 910 VKC | TGR Alice Purple 1/5 | TGR Alice Red | TGR-03 | TGR Tris

LZ-SE | 3x LZ-RE | LZ-CP | LZ-MP SE

Keycult No.2 Stainless Steel | 2x KMAC Happy | 2x DK Saver MX & Alps

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 16:07:56 »

I have no skin in the game. Just my 2 cents - I personally think the maker can decide how much to price it, and if you don't want it don't buy it. No one is forced to buy it, and there are many other great boards out there. No one bats an eye when OTDs go for thousands, nor KC auctions that go for way more than this, so why should this matter/be an exception? I would much rather have the value accrue to the designer/maker than the raffle winner anyways:

1. The designer/maker should deserve what the board is "worth" (in the market, although that is hard to determine)
2. It would deter people from entering the raffle simply to resell the board. Interestingly enough, I would argue that this phenomenon may, over time, lower the price of the board and, thus, make it more accessible
I mean let's not lie here. Even with OTD and KC people bat eyes. The only people who seem oblivious tend to be clout and money chasers. There's a fair segment of the community that enjoys reasonably priced premium boards over branding. Not saying that's what's happening here but this whole concept that people sell things for buttloads of money so everything should be priced whatever is a weak argument.

You can totally overprice your stuff, and you can get called out for it. Just the way it works.

I do agree that designers deserve more. But then do private commissions and vickrey stuff. Both are pretty accepted methods of generating cash. Pseudo-bespoke is a weird way, probably why people are not sure what to make of it.

Personally id love a market place that gives a percentage of profit off each resale back to the designer. But no one on earth does that. Heh

« Last Edit: Thu, 24 February 2022, 16:14:22 by Zeelobby »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 16:48:40 »
Definitely not a cash grab but the price is too outrageous for me to consider partaking - it is what it is though, and if there's a singular person I'd still back up (albeit not necessarily with my money in this particular case) regardless of circumstance it's Yuktsi/TGR. It's not Vikrey, that's good enough for me.

Offline stolenweapon

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 17:02:30 »

I mean let's not lie here. Even with OTD and KC people bat eyes. The only people who seem oblivious tend to be clout and money chasers. There's a fair segment of the community that enjoys reasonably priced premium boards over branding. Not saying that's what's happening here but this whole concept that people sell things for buttloads of money so everything should be priced whatever is a weak argument.

You can totally overprice your stuff, and you can get called out for it. Just the way it works.

I do agree that designers deserve more. But then do private commissions and vickrey stuff. Both are pretty accepted methods of generating cash. Pseudo-bespoke is a weird way, probably why people are not sure what to make of it.

Personally id love a market place that gives a percentage of profit off each resale back to the designer. But no one on earth does that. Heh

This just makes no sense. How do you explain luxury brands, luxury cars, luxury watches, etc. How do you quantify what is "reasonably priced"? At what point is the threshold considered "cheap" or "expensive?" The only metric we have is what someone is willing to pay for it, and every other argument isn't provable and is just purely narrative-driven. How can you call something is expensive without it even being raffled? Because if there are 20 boards, and there are more than 20 entrants, then it is clearly at least "fairly" priced.
OTD 356CL Black | 2x OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356.2 Factory Gray Ano 1/2 | 2x OTD 356.2 Blue Grey | 2x OTD 356mini Military Green | 5x OTD 356mini Red | OTD 356mini Black | 9x OTD 360C Apple Silver | 2x OTD 360C Hyper Grey | OTD 356L | 2x OTD 356N MKII Black | OTD 456GT Pink & Black | 3x OTD 356 Pad (2x Black, 1x Military Green) | 2x OTD Koala WKL Silver & Black | OTD Koala WK Silver & Black

TGR Jane V2 Pink Prototype 1/1 | TGR Jane V2 1/2 Brushed Toblerone Weight | 8x TGR Jane V2 | 6x TGR Jane CE V2 | TGR 910RE | TGR 910 VKC | TGR Alice Purple 1/5 | TGR Alice Red | TGR-03 | TGR Tris

LZ-SE | 3x LZ-RE | LZ-CP | LZ-MP SE

Keycult No.2 Stainless Steel | 2x KMAC Happy | 2x DK Saver MX & Alps

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 18:21:44 »

This just makes no sense. How do you explain luxury brands, luxury cars, luxury watches, etc. How do you quantify what is "reasonably priced"? At what point is the threshold considered "cheap" or "expensive?" The only metric we have is what someone is willing to pay for it, and every other argument isn't provable and is just purely narrative-driven. How can you call something is expensive without it even being raffled? Because if there are 20 boards, and there are more than 20 entrants, then it is clearly at least "fairly" priced.
I mean we know how much these cost. And know how much has been previously charged for honestly a more complex design. It'd be like Toyota selling supras for $20K and then dropping a Corolla for $50K. So it just seems off for the brand. This isn't Mercedes vs Kia. There is a baseline for value. Even amongst luxury goods.

I mean I have no doubt they'll sell 20. And honestly it's probably close to what they'd cost to manufacture and the services provided. I was just pointing out that pointing to aftermarket prices as justification is silly, especially OTD (no longer produced) and KC (basically no longer produced, lol, and falling in value).

In the end it's just like my opinion man. I just understand why people would make those complaints. And I can't just outright say they're wrong because people pay crazy prices for exclusivity.

« Last Edit: Thu, 24 February 2022, 18:27:54 by Zeelobby »

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 21:33:56 »
- Make friends that would've told you that posting these would have negative feedback. I'm not surprised at all that this was received badly. One of the biggest things I've noticed about the hobby on the higher-end side is that there's an echo chamber where people will simp all day long because you're homies and won't give constructive criticism because they're scared you'll get mad. Positive vibes are great but there's a point where that shifts to toxic positivity. If you don't care, then that's okay and just offer this to those you know who would've been all for it

This is very well put. I think a lot of people 'at the top' of the influencing hierarchy (whatever what means) do not have a lot of people speaking to them with brutal honestly.

As you mentioned, it is very unsurprising that the reddit post as well has this geekhack post has received an overall negative reaction, and Maxf and Yuktsi could probably use this as an opportunity to learn why and question themselves whether it was just the marketing, or is there anything obviously wrong with the product offerings which they perhaps cannot see because of the bubble they've surrounded themselves with.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 14:19:13 »

There is a big difference between in-stock sale and GB with indeterminate delivery date.

If they sold 20 of these as in-stock for $1500, the reaction would be very different.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 19:44:34 »

There is a big difference between in-stock sale and GB with indeterminate delivery date.

If they sold 20 of these as in-stock for $1500, the reaction would be very different.
I'd buy 2!

Offline singabore

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 08:15:37 »
L

Offline ___LUNK

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 09:06:35 »
Does this even come with an NFT for $1500

Offline LMarci

1500$
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 05 March 2022, 17:34:12 »
I don't understand people defending this price point. This is not okay. Your replies on the mechmarket reddit made this whole thing even more suspicious. Pass.

Offline Whale_algorithm

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 07:21:51 »
What did I gain from this? Probably some publicity from Max’s streaming and a bunch of perfectly working boards with his name engraved, that I have no use for.

This may be a weird question but would you sell the wrongly engraved forms at a steep discount to get them off your hands? I may be willing to buy one depending on price and how they look

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 08:13:52 »
What did I gain from this? Probably some publicity from Max’s streaming and a bunch of perfectly working boards with his name engraved, that I have no use for.

This may be a weird question but would you sell the wrongly engraved forms at a steep discount to get them off your hands? I may be willing to buy one depending on price and how they look
Haha. If price was reasonable I'd grab one. The design definitely looks nice, a classic callback. Always unfortunate when manu goes wrong and boards go to waste.

Offline Tree_

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 01:38:06 »
Lot of sooking in this thread from people who never intended on entering the raffle, :rolleyes:.

If the board isn't for you, what are you doing here whinging about it?

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 07:19:10 »
Lot of sooking in this thread from people who never intended on entering the raffle, :rolleyes:.

I mean your question has been answered about 10 times already. It's a public forum. People are allowed to comment. That's kind of the point. Also feel like most people would be interested. Sharing concerns about price is nothing new.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 15:56:26 »

That is the purpose of an interest check/group buy, for feedback.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline Tree_

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 17:45:09 »

That is the purpose of an interest check/group buy, for feedback.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

If this was an Interest Check thread, I'd agree - But it isn't, it's no more than an advertisement for a product that's likely long been finalised.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 17:48:25 »

Yes. In this case, I mistakenly approved without an ETA listed, and followed up with maxf via PM to add one. This has not happened yet, despite active posting in the thread.

Please update the OP with an estimated fulfillment date, per my request yesterday via PM.

I had also asked about delivery delays associated with the Jane CE and some additional clarification regarding manufacturer and fulfillment details for this buy. Please comment here about this as well.

Lastly, a locked Group Buy thread signifies that the buy is complete and all units are shipped. As that is not the case, I have unlocked the thread. As you know, all updates must be posted here in addition to your Discord server, and anyone (buyer or not) can comment on the board and buy progress.

None of this information was added to this thread...

I'm curious what the point of these rules you added if you aren't going to even enforce them.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 20:09:16 »

None of this information was added to this thread...

I'm curious what the point of these rules you added if you aren't going to even enforce them.
I mean the sales dead. At least in this current form. Think people just in here beating the horse.

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 22:27:32 »

$1499 for you

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 19:15:19 »
What a hell? $1500??!!
Its a piece of alu etc.
Frog is better than this for $300.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Shunx

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 05:59:57 »
What a hell? $1500??!!
Its a piece of alu etc.

Of course frog or other board could be better.. Somehow this GB is for robbing people who don't care about their money. ROFL

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 03:43:27 »
What a hell? $1500??!!
Its a piece of alu etc.

Of course frog or other board could be better.. Somehow this GB is for robbing people who don't care about their money. ROFL

True.. true...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 23:20:23 »

if it was a cash grab it would have been a 15 unit vickrey.

i know better than to further engage with this thread, but i have a few small thoughts.

a) people arbitrarily choose what they want to be mad at. not just in this hobby but generally. i think the sense that everyone should own an "endgame" board is one that is full of entitlement. buy what you can afford, and enjoy keyboards within your budget. there has never been a better time to buy a low end, or ESPECIALLY a mid range keyboard. there are so many good options in the 350-500 range, i wish we had this much selection when i got into keyboards.

aa) i think a lot of new members of the hobby feel entitled to "endgame" boards like this. i understand that animosity and desire to have something you want, but honestly, if you just want it for clout, nobody cares. people care that i own an alice, but that's because i have clout for different reasons (some good, some bad), not because i own that board. buy things because YOU want them. not because you want other people to want them.

ab) i think getting upset about this being another koala copy is kind of shortsighted. if you get upset about one you should get upset about them all. but i see some of the same people ****ting on this for being a koala copy praising other boards that are also koala copies. it's not like we can go back to korellas or eungsam and get their stamp of approval for every board that uses their designs.

b) is this board too expensive? i say sure, but i know there are people who will pay for this. there are hundreds of people who are willing to shell out for keycult and bauer commissions. my personal stance is that anything over 750 is too much for any keyboard, but i've paid more than that for non-keyboard hobby items in the past, so i guess it just depends on what one is willing to spend. like has been mentioned a few times in this thread, there have been $1500 boards before, and there will be more after this. don't buy something if you don't want it/can't afford it.

ba) before anyone asks the most i've ever paid for a keyboard was ~730 for my little z, not including what i paid lightning to build it. my mira is not far behind, i paid 725 to buy it back from a friend who rebuilt it and asked me to reimburse him for the parts.

bb) saying that this is the logical end product of a community built around hype is kinda shortsighted as well, and a good signifier that you haven't been around that long. some of us remember the nasby koalas way back in the day, which also GB'd at 1500 (in like 2014 i think!). and i think they sold more units than are being offered here, AND those were clones made from stolen files. i reiterate that this is nothing new.

c) sam is in my top three of most important people in the keyboard community, ever. not just in terms of keyboard design, but also in terms of growing the community and making it a better place. he has given us so much and has reaped so few of the benefits of what he has done for the rest of us. i think if he wants to get paid he should get his money. like he mentions, he gets no money when someone sells a jane on MM for 6k after he sold his at GB For 1/10th that price. i know what i paid for my alice, and i know how much money i've been offered for it. let the man do what he wants. he's earned it more than any of us.

in closing, do i think people are right to be upset about this? not really. i think if this is your first time seeing something like this it can be jarring, but honestly to those of us who have been around for a while it's nothing new. i think if you're genuinely upset about a product like this existing, then you really need to consider your feelings about keyboards. do i think this board has some problems? sure, but mostly i'd just want more color choices and a custom engraving at that price, but i don't think i'll be buying so what does my opinion really matter?

AH, Puddsy I must agree - we both know better than getting embroiled in such chatter. I have lots to say but I know better than going there. For what its worth I will say a little bit and run like h.... - check the cost of aluminum over the last two years, believe me it costs more per unit to make 20 boards than 200 boards