Author Topic: Trip to Paris - what to visit?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Trip to Paris - what to visit?
« on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 13:30:30 »
I'm going to Paris next month and was wondering if any of you here (fellow Parisians maybe:)) could suggest to visit/see.
I've been there couple of times already, so I've seen things like Louvre, arc, tower etc - but is there anything that is worth seeing that is not on usual tourists list?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline iri

Re: Trip to Paris - what to visit?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 14:23:49 »
The Châtelet station, you'll know what hell looks like.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 14:55:01 »
The Châtelet station, you'll know what hell looks like.

OK, will put on my list - why what is it?  :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 16:21:06 »
I dunno about anything in particular, but:

I'd check Atlas Obscura. That site was made to answer this question, for many cities. I've consulted it before travelling to other cities and even found some places in my home town that I didn't know about. However, I've also found some tourist traps in its lists.

The Tim Traveller has a bunch of videos about unusual places in France, most of them in Paris. He's a transit nerd, so it is mostly about that.

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 06:17:48 »
I guess we dont have many Parisians here...
Anyway, going there next week, picked some places I didn't see before on my prev trips to Paris.
I may take my hhkb with me, just for fun photos :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 06:49:23 »
I often take a bus tour early in a trip to look for interesting scenes to return to later.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 07:56:57 »
I often take a bus tour early in a trip to look for interesting scenes to return to later.

Interesting idea, thanks. I'll take a look what bus tours they have there. :thumb:

Offline redge

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 11:13:21 »
I used to work in Paris and I return frequently. Where you should go depends on what your interests are. Paris is a great walking city, so just choosing an arrondissement (district) and wandering around is an option. A fellow from New York has been visiting Paris for the last week and is making a couple of videos a day, including live streams, on YouTube. Might be worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/c/UrbanistExploringCities/featured

Enjoy Paris!

Computer: Mac Studio
New keyboard Oct/Dec: Abec13's Gentoo
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2022, 11:28:50 by redge »

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 14:47:18 »
I used to work in Paris and I return frequently. Where you should go depends on what your interests are. Paris is a great walking city, so just choosing an arrondissement (district) and wandering around is an option. A fellow from New York has been visiting Paris for the last week and is making a couple of videos a day, including live streams, on YouTube. Might be worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/c/UrbanistExploringCities/featured

Enjoy Paris!

Computer: Mac Studio
New keyboard Oct/Dec: Abec13's Gentoo

Cool, thanks. There are even clips from yesterday, Paris by evening. :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 15:02:26 »
I'm partial to the SE France - Cote d'Azure, Provence, and Alpes areas.
The rest of France kinda sucks. :rolleyes:

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 15:09:52 »

What do you mean by sucks?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 15:14:46 »

How come?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 15:28:11 »
lol I dunno, I haven't been there since the late '90s. I'm sure it's different now.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 15:45:54 »
I'm going to Paris next month and was wondering if any of you here (fellow Parisians maybe:)) could suggest to visit/see.
I've been there couple of times already, so I've seen things like Louvre, arc, tower etc - but is there anything that is worth seeing that is not on usual tourists list?

Those are the places I visited and I can't remember anything else that stuck out or that I wanted to see. I felt three days was enough for me.

Offline redge

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 19:06:43 »
A fellow from New York has been visiting Paris for the last week and is making a couple of videos a day, including live streams, on YouTube. Might be worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/c/UrbanistExploringCities/featured

I just checked out the evening walk video. I lived in the arrondissement, the 14th, where he did much of the live stream. The RER and Metro station at 15:10, Denfert-Rochereau, was my local station. That's a minor entrance to a fairly large, important station. At that point in the walk, he's a block from Montparnasse Boulevard. Speaking of which, there's quite a view of the city from the Montparnasse Observation Deck.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2022, 20:08:03 by redge »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 15:47:14 »
A fellow from New York has been visiting Paris for the last week and is making a couple of videos a day, including live streams, on YouTube. Might be worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/c/UrbanistExploringCities/featured

I just checked out the evening walk video. I lived in the arrondissement, the 14th, where he did much of the live stream. The RER and Metro station at 15:10, Denfert-Rochereau, was my local station. That's a minor entrance to a fairly large, important station. At that point in the walk, he's a block from Montparnasse Boulevard. Speaking of which, there's quite a view of the city from the Montparnasse Observation Deck.

It is very nice.

Offline Eseyria

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 16:17:11 »
I have been to Paris 2 years ago, it was amazing. It's one of the best places I've ever been.

Offline iri

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 02:37:54 »
What in the actual ****.

There is an area in Provence that does suck.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury