Author Topic: thank you all so much  (Read 5725 times)

Offline kbhburner

thank you all so much
« on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 09:44:15 »
thank you, geekhack.

thank you, keyboarding community.

thank you for cultivating an ideology of form over function.

thank you for all your hard work and dedication, diligently stripping vintage computers of their input devices. after all, what does it matter to you? you don't own one.

it's nice to know that some of these are impossible to find because of fine folks like you displaying them in glass cases so you can show off to uninterested friends and family. what use do you have for them beyond aesthetics? none.

go ahead, keep making teensy adapters for keyboards you'll use once or twice before realizing what everyone else already knew- a modern keyboard is usually better!

your hoarding of vintage keyboards is disgusting. give them up to people who actually need them.

Offline Faceman76

Re: thank you all so much
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 10:03:36 »
Awww...show us where the keyboard hurt you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline kbhburner

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 10:04:46 »
Awww...show us where the keyboard hurt you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
mature response from the average redditor with a mind of a child.

you're all neckbeard losers, really, showing off your collections to each other because nobody in your real life cares.

**** yourselves!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 11:23:13 »
LOL

Offline pwade3

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 11:40:01 »
You might head over to deskthority if you wanna whine about vintage stuff.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 11:41:38 »
Why do you need vintage computer systems?
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline 7h3of7

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 11:43:47 »
Cry about it.
Current Board: OTD 356 Mini v1 Black

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 12:13:19 »
I'ma let you in on a secret. Modern computers are better too.

Offline badchad

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 12:32:32 »
welcome
BAD

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 12:32:55 »
So who "actually needs" vintage keyboards? Who said we're not using them? Anyway, keyboards are cool.

Offline eggplanthero

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 12:36:32 »
You're right.. It doesn't matter to me

Offline Hodgeman

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 12:46:12 »
can you please post more its very funny

Offline chamelemon_64

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 12:54:04 »

286673-0

Offline mmontess

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 12:56:04 »
What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little *****? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're ****ing dead, kiddo.

Offline lbassett21

• Plastic and Metal Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 12:59:23 »
Ok lol

Discord: Bassett#0001 | Reddit: /u/lbassett_21 | Instagram: BassettKeebs
Current Collection:
More
Keyboards:
OTD 360 Corsa | Kira80 | FMJ 80 | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Matrix 8xv1.2og | IBM SSK 1395217 (Stock Trading)Hiney TKL One PCHiney TKL One FNF | G81-3077SAU | G81-3007SAU | G80-9039HAAUS | HHKB Pro 2 Type S | Realforce 84ubLunar 2Sord KB-101 | Percent Canoe | G80-3190HSU | Alps64Xerox 6085 Keyboard | IBM 5576-001 | IBM Model M 1390131 | IBM Industrial Model M 1394946 | IBM Model M SSK 1393691 (SABRE) | IBM Model M 1393464 | HHKB Pro Hybrid Type S | Dell AT101 | Leading Edge DC3014 | IBM Model F AT | IBM Model F122 | G80-0693 | G80-0528 | G81-3100SDU | G80-1838HPU | DAS 2 (G80-3485LWNUS-2 | Texas Instruments Keyboard (SKCM Brown) | G80-9002LBBXX

Keycaps:
ESA-3000-HASR0 | G81-3077SAU | G81-3100SAU | BMOL 5206 UP (Desko Color) | BMOL 4000 U (Desko) | GMK Solarized Penumbra | Desko Black (1/10) | GMK Beta JS | IBM APL2 w/Box 1395624

Offline Eastji

• draw 2 cards
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 13:21:00 »

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 13:48:06 »
No problem. I hope that this haunts you at night enough to make another post in this recurring nightmare...

You can run but you cannot hide!

Offline dondongler

• Gotta Light?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 13:50:31 »
Cum

Offline kbhburner

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 13:50:51 »
No problem. I hope that this haunts you at night enough to make another post in this recurring nightmare...

You can run but you cannot hide!
it's fine, i just had to get it off my chest. fact of the matter is your little circlejerk is pathetic to everyone but you. seriously, have you ever tried talking to a normal person about keyboards the way you neckbeard freaks talk about them?

go outside for once, good lord!

Offline kbhburner

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 13:52:34 »
these keyboards belong in the hands of enthusiasts who will actually use and appreciate them with the original hardware, not in glass cases next to your deadpool and legend of zelda funko pops you fat reddit losers

Offline panka

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 13:53:30 »
GAHAHA THIS IS GOLD, THANK YOU

Offline Hodgeman

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 13:54:15 »
yeah you ****in nerds, touch some grass!

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:01:50 »
Stay mad. Stay bad.

Sent from my vintage keyboard without its PC counterpart using Tapatalk.

Offline lbassett21

• Plastic and Metal Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:03:41 »
Sir, this is a Wendy’s

Discord: Bassett#0001 | Reddit: /u/lbassett_21 | Instagram: BassettKeebs
Current Collection:
More
Keyboards:
OTD 360 Corsa | Kira80 | FMJ 80 | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Matrix 8xv1.2og | IBM SSK 1395217 (Stock Trading)Hiney TKL One PCHiney TKL One FNF | G81-3077SAU | G81-3007SAU | G80-9039HAAUS | HHKB Pro 2 Type S | Realforce 84ubLunar 2Sord KB-101 | Percent Canoe | G80-3190HSU | Alps64Xerox 6085 Keyboard | IBM 5576-001 | IBM Model M 1390131 | IBM Industrial Model M 1394946 | IBM Model M SSK 1393691 (SABRE) | IBM Model M 1393464 | HHKB Pro Hybrid Type S | Dell AT101 | Leading Edge DC3014 | IBM Model F AT | IBM Model F122 | G80-0693 | G80-0528 | G81-3100SDU | G80-1838HPU | DAS 2 (G80-3485LWNUS-2 | Texas Instruments Keyboard (SKCM Brown) | G80-9002LBBXX

Keycaps:
ESA-3000-HASR0 | G81-3077SAU | G81-3100SAU | BMOL 5206 UP (Desko Color) | BMOL 4000 U (Desko) | GMK Solarized Penumbra | Desko Black (1/10) | GMK Beta JS | IBM APL2 w/Box 1395624

Offline kbhburner

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:08:32 »

(Attachment Link)
guy with doge avatar buying the thing he saw on reddit just so he can show it off on reddit, checks out

how's the autism?

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:10:51 »
This is amazing  :))

Offline Myoth

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:16:26 »
thank you, geekhack.

thank you for all your hard work and dedication, diligently stripping vintage computers of their input devices. after all, what does it matter to you? you don't own one.

it's nice to know that some of these are impossible to find because of fine folks like you displaying them in glass cases so you can show off to uninterested friends and family. what use do you have for them beyond aesthetics? none.

go ahead, keep making teensy adapters for keyboards you'll use once or twice before realizing what everyone else already knew- a modern keyboard is usually better!

your hoarding of vintage keyboards is disgusting. give them up to people who actually need them.

Beyond your clear bad faith of "thank you for cultivating an ideology of form over function" when you collect obsolete pieces of technology, I think the problem that you seem to think is on us is much deeper than that and showcases even greater bad faith. You probably know this since you collect them but old computers take a **** tonne of space, they're bulky, heavy and usually require some effort to move for the people that might have once purchased them to use them. However, the keyboards from them aren't, they're easy to stack, can be held by the tens and take virtually no space at all. This makes them much more prone to be kept a lot more than their systems.

I truly wish I could side with you and **** on the people that "harvest" the keyboards from the systems because not only do I not agree with the Le Free Market 🤓 but I am a very frustrated person when it comes to many many things, but unfortunately this is simply not what happens in most cases, a majority of keyboards appear without their system/terminal because people threw them away way before they even thought of selling the keyboard.

Moreover, I think you seem to misunderstand the value we take from old (ethically sourced) keyboards, many of them boast much greater quality, mechanics and looks than their modern equivalents. I personally am a huge fan of Cherry keyboards because their "thinly, cheaply and cost-cutting" builds are actually some of the finest typing experience I think you can get out of a pre-made keyboard. And it was not until last week that I ccould safely say that for anyone seeking this experience there is finally a modern equivalent which is more reasonably priced, easily obtainable and sits as high if not higher as its predecessors when it comes to virtually all aspects. So yes, we have a use for them beyond aesthetics, regardless of what you may think.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game" is unfortunely to be taken as seriously as it can.

To further the discussion a little and hopefully tend to your wounds, what may have happened for you to come in here and regurgitate all of your hate onto mere passers-by ? Some of us may know someone that could help you in your search of a specific keyboard so that we can all put our differences aside, enjoy the old devices and think they don't make 'em like they used to...

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:19:12 »
these keyboards belong in the hands of enthusiasts who will actually use and appreciate them with the original hardware, not in glass cases next to your deadpool and legend of zelda funko pops you fat reddit losers

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:23:03 »
Hey. Don't lump us all together.
There are multiple aspects of "The Hobby". It is not the same for everyone.

In my days, I have several times picked up keyboards without a system, and then traded or donated them or parts to a vintage computer collector/restorer who needed the keyboard/parts to restore his vintage system.

And many of us vintage keyboard geeks are also vintage-computer geeks as well.

I have seen a similar schism in my other collecting hobby: prop replicas. Some movie props that have become iconic had been made from real-world items that once were cheap but later became collectors' items for some other collecting hobby, such as camera collecting, or firearms collecting.
Not only has the increased competition hiked up the prices on the collectors market for just those items, but to turn them into the prop in an authentic way, some have had to be irreversibly modified.
Personally, I have never irreversibly modified a "real part", and tried to use castings or replica parts otherwise, even casting them myself if I had to.
But I think that this is less of a problem for vintage keyboards than for movie props, overall. It bugs me when I see a fully working keyboard of a rare type in good condition be stripped for its key switches, but I also know that in many other cases, keyboard enthusiasts buying vintage keyboards actually save (at least parts of) them from being thrown on the scrapheap because of how many sellers are not knowledgeable or even care about how much we value them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:25:56 by Findecanor »

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:26:10 »
thank you, geekhack.

cope harder. also it sounds like your ability to get vints is terrible, so i raise you a skill issue.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:30:49 by LaserCrafter »
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:41:36 »
Most of my vintage boards are not in a glass cabinet, they're in a big messy pile in the spare room I pile useless stuff up in, thank you very much.

Offline LaserCrafter

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:52:35 »

nah i'm just going to harvest them for some of my custom builds  :p :thumb:
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline GaNeBaL

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:58:30 »
sicc b8
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline juntheboon

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:59:55 »
make more money

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 15:01:51 »
lol

Offline kbhburner

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 15:06:51 »
thank you, geekhack.

Beyond your clear bad faith of "thank you for cultivating an ideology of form over function" when you collect obsolete pieces of technology, I think the problem that you seem to think is on us is much deeper than that and showcases even greater bad faith. You probably know this since you collect them but old computers take a **** tonne of space, they're bulky, heavy and usually require some effort to move for the people that might have once purchased them to use them. However, the keyboards from them aren't, they're easy to stack, can be held by the tens and take virtually no space at all. This makes them much more prone to be kept a lot more than their systems.

I truly wish I could side with you and **** on the people that "harvest" the keyboards from the systems because not only do I not agree with the Le Free Market 🤓 but I am a very frustrated person when it comes to many many things, but unfortunately this is simply not what happens in most cases, a majority of keyboards appear without their system/terminal because people threw them away way before they even thought of selling the keyboard.

Moreover, I think you seem to misunderstand the value we take from old (ethically sourced) keyboards, many of them boast much greater quality, mechanics and looks than their modern equivalents. I personally am a huge fan of Cherry keyboards because their "thinly, cheaply and cost-cutting" builds are actually some of the finest typing experience I think you can get out of a pre-made keyboard. And it was not until last week that I ccould safely say that for anyone seeking this experience there is finally a modern equivalent which is more reasonably priced, easily obtainable and sits as high if not higher as its predecessors when it comes to virtually all aspects. So yes, we have a use for them beyond aesthetics, regardless of what you may think.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game" is unfortunely to be taken as seriously as it can.

To further the discussion a little and hopefully tend to your wounds, what may have happened for you to come in here and regurgitate all of your hate onto mere passers-by ? Some of us may know someone that could help you in your search of a specific keyboard so that we can all put our differences aside, enjoy the old devices and think they don't make 'em like they used to...
i want nothing from you people but for you to leave hardware you don't have an explicit need for alone.

Offline mmontess

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 15:12:24 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2022, 15:17:15 by mmontess »

Offline Myoth

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 15:13:02 »
thank you, geekhack.

i want nothing from you people but for you to leave hardware you don't have an explicit need for alone.

ur a nonce.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 15:16:44 »
A lot of vintage keyboard collectors share your opinions on taking keyboards from their systems. A lot of us refuse to do so unless it's a system that's clearly unwanted even by the most serious PC collectors (e.g one that's sat on eBay for many, many months with no interest). Most of our keyboards were orphaned from their systems long ago, with no outside influence from keyboard collectors.

There are exceptions to this of course; some people do strip systems of their keyboards. But don't be thinking you're the only one who gets mad when this happens. I do too, as do many other keyboard collectors.

What would you like to see happen? Would you like every vintage keyboard collector to reunite their keyboards with the original systems, even if they had no part in their separation to begin with? I just don't think that's possible, man.

Tell us about some of your favourite systems! Do you have a favourite manufacturer?

you're all neckbeard losers, really, showing off your collections to each other because nobody in your real life cares.

**** yourselves!
Also, **** you! My Mum thinks my keyboards are cool >:D
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2022, 15:51:09 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline SpinningHook

• "I can't know how to hear anymore about tables!."
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 15:57:20 »
This begs the question, but is there a way to mark a thread to designate it as a prolapsed opinion so that one knows what they are getting into before they click on it? Just curious.
"Brevity is the soul of wit."

Offline LaserCrafter

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 16:41:51 »
thank you, geekhack.

now i'm just going to gut every vintage keyboard i get my hands on to spite you lol

Offline 3tonjack

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 16:54:24 »
Nice troll

Offline shallot

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 17:18:05 »
lmao so full of hate over old computers

does it hurt to know the keyboard is the only useful part?

-proud glue-eating keyboard kid
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2022, 17:25:02 by shallot »

Offline doomsday_device

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 17:24:54 »
not a single vintage computer person ever asked me about one of my keyboards

and i dont know anyone who was asked

weird.

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 17:34:58 »
Oof

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 18:03:46 »
respectively please shut the **** up

« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2022, 08:26:22 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 23:01:27 »

does it hurt to know the keyboard is the only useful part?

Mostly I agree with this.

There are orders of magnitudes less decades-old computer systems still in use today as were originally manufactured.

But a significant number of those decades-old keyboards can find new life for themselves on modern systems. I am typing this on a keyboard from 1985, and using a mouse from the early-2000s, but all the rest of the system is from early 2020.

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 04:54:16 »
You're presenting your opinion in a way no one can really take seriously but I don't necessarily disagree.
It's a shame when a computer system is orphaned of a keyboard that is itself might be torn apart for some rare switches.

In many cases the computers are lost or broken so badly they're only good for parts so the keyboards which are comparatively simple/durable live on.
Or this is what I tell myself because people think their Tofu 60% will inherent the "soul" of something cool if they buy some grimy switches stripped out of an old machine.

Switches are just one part of a board and keyboards are just one part of a system. Reducing either to a pile of broken parts is a waste of time.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 14:15:47 »
Haha. With out us vintage keyboards wouldn't have the value you collectors use to flip. Also I killed two AEK II keyboards  :p. We also keep vintage switches like Alps and buckling alive and even start projects to make keycaps, modern programmable qmk pcb's for those. With out the mech keyboard community there would be no Model F reproduction, no custom SP alps keycaps.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 15:34:03 »
Is this a meme or did you lose an eBay auction recently?