Author Topic: [IC] EPBT TA Origins  (Read 74183 times)

Offline MMKB

Re: [IC] EPBT TA Origins
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 17:28:15 »
Bought the GMK TA (sold) and TA90 but this is truly better. And yes ePBT. Count me in!

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 18:09:57 »
Love it. I am a bit worried about warped space bars though. It's one of the main reasons I prefer GMK sets. Would it be possible to offer a separate ABS space bar pack since epbt is apparently doing abs sets now? Having them made in house would help ensure color accuracy and key feel is much more important than shine resistance for me.

We can ask about this, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. I don't know how easy colour matching ABS to PBT is given the different properties of the plastic. It's also pretty easy to unwarp the spacebars with some boiling water. But we'll see what we can offer closer to GB stage ;D

Great, thanks. I know for sure that HHKBs have an abs space bar (on pro1 and pro2 at least) with pbt everything else and I'm pretty sure Realforce boards do this as well, so I know it's possible to color match.

Offline kolicivan

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 21:36:21 »
Might be down for this set if the GB lands later in the year, and if the ENJOYPBT 3000SAT GB does not launch.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 05:23:30 »
Some kitting suggestions:
  • Add R3 PGUP and R4 PGDN to the base kit. This will help cover some popular 65% and 75% right column options.
  • Move R1 END and PGDN from the base to the numpad kit. These keys are only useful if there is a numpad present, e.g. on 1800, CP and 96-key layout boards, so they shouldn't be included in numpadless base kits.
  • Add a R1 = key in both white and blue to the numpad kit. Along with the already-present R4 00, this will help cover standalone numpads.
  • Consider using SCRL instead of SCRL↲LOCK and NUM instead of NUM↲LOCK for a more uniform, one-line look across the modifiers.
  • The 1.25u FUNC key seems a bit redundant since there is a 1.25u RELOC key of the same row. You may opt to keep both, or you may opt to discard one of them. The same goes for the FUNC and RELOC keys in the 40's kit.
  • Consider adding a R3 1.75u FUNC or RELOC key as another viable Caps replacement for people who like to remap Caps to Fn / layer controls. To me, at least, this seems like it would be more useful than a stepped R3 1.75u CTRL.

Props for including both the arrow and X-box options for the Backspace icon.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2020, 05:26:22 by constexpr »

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 09:27:26 »

Yeah, but why isn't the Delete key being offered with its own X-box? Strikes me as odd that this set would have ⌫ but no ⌦...

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 11:56:51 »
Yeah, but why isn't the Delete key being offered with its own X-box? Strikes me as odd that this set would have ⌫ but no ⌦...
I'd say because the surrounding keys of the Delete key are also not icons. It would look more odd to have Del as a symbol with Insert, Home et cetera as text than having a different style for BS (which will be close to Enter, which is also a symbol key) and Del.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 15:47:47 »
Some kitting suggestions:
  • Add R3 PGUP and R4 PGDN to the base kit. This will help cover some popular 65% and 75% right column options.
  • Move R1 END and PGDN from the base to the numpad kit. These keys are only useful if there is a numpad present, e.g. on 1800, CP and 96-key layout boards, so they shouldn't be included in numpadless base kits.
  • Add a R1 = key in both white and blue to the numpad kit. Along with the already-present R4 00, this will help cover standalone numpads.
  • Consider using SCRL instead of SCRL↲LOCK and NUM instead of NUM↲LOCK for a more uniform, one-line look across the modifiers.
  • The 1.25u FUNC key seems a bit redundant since there is a 1.25u RELOC key of the same row. You may opt to keep both, or you may opt to discard one of them. The same goes for the FUNC and RELOC keys in the 40's kit.
  • Consider adding a R3 1.75u FUNC or RELOC key as another viable Caps replacement for people who like to remap Caps to Fn / layer controls. To me, at least, this seems like it would be more useful than a stepped R3 1.75u CTRL.

• We could do this, it's only 2 keys. Although the base kit already covers the Home-PgUp-PgDn-End column which is more popular I think?
  • Good catch, I hadn't thought of that
  • That should be possible I think
  • I was already considering this, I just don't want that area to look too empty when a lot of the modifiers have dual legends. I'll probably do renders with both and see which we prefer.
  • These keys are redundant, but we want people to be able to pick and choose the legends they want for some of the weirder keys. Although the reloc key was a lot weirder in older revisions so the FUNC key could probably be removed now.
  • Yes, I could probably add something to use as an R3 Fn key

And yeah, the ⌫ always gets a lot of hate, so we wanted to give people the choice between the OG legend and something a bit cleaner.

Basically the reason stoffelduss gave, IMO ⌦ would look out of place surrounded with all text INS, HOME, END, etc.
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 17:52:57 »
We could do this, it's only 2 keys. Although the base kit already covers the Home-PgUp-PgDn-End column which is more popular I think?
Here's an incomplete list of recent GMK sets that had these keys. As you can see, it's a very popular inclusion. In fact, some of the best selling 65% keyboards ever (ALT, Tada68, Whitefox) have had R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn as their main layout, which helped popularize this setup.

These keys are redundant, but we want people to be able to pick and choose the legends they want for some of the weirder keys. Although the reloc key was a lot weirder in older revisions so the FUNC key could probably be removed now.
Since the set already has plenty of novelty-ish legends, I think it would be totally fine to keep just RELOC and have it serve as the wildcard for Fn, Menu or anything else someone might want to put there.

Yes, I could probably add something to use as an R3 Fn key
Thanks!

And yeah, the ⌫ always gets a lot of hate, so we wanted to give people the choice between the OG legend and something a bit cleaner.
As someone who actually likes ⌫ backspaces (when they're done right), I'm glad it's an option. :)

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 19:54:17 »
I'm absolutely looking for this GB! It's clean and has a modern feeling despite its origins IMO.

Offline speakeasy_my

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 09:46:18 »
colevrak support, please?

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 09:48:43 »
colevrak support, please?

Read a little further up, there is already a plan to look into it for this set.

Offline Shadohhh

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:33:04 »
Interested in the all white base kit, looks clean.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:49:26 »
I can't wrap my head around what the set will look like.  The renders all look very low contrast to me like they have a filter or were taken in a dark room.  Do you have plans for additional renders at some point?

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 18:46:24 »
Would love to have an all white base kit with the optional blue mod kit add on.

Offline kaisn

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 06:41:29 »
I never imagined to see someone run a set like this. Super cool!

Edited before someone else might take offense
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2020, 09:25:55 by kaisn »

Offline lolpes

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 04:16:40 »
I never imagined to see someone run a set like this. Super cool!

In can someone is interested in a ISO-DE OG version hit me up
https://imgur.com/kMuVT8N

You can always put up a post on classifieds rather than advertise here.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:28:51 »
I can't wrap my head around what the set will look like.  The renders all look very low contrast to me like they have a filter or were taken in a dark room.  Do you have plans for additional renders at some point?

+1 the render seems faded. Any chance for samples? TA color way is difficult to produce imo

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 15:46:00 »

+1 the render seems faded. Any chance for samples? TA color way is difficult to produce imo

Yes, we will definitely get samples before any GB goes live. I'll work on doing a few more renders too, in the mean time here's two I did recently on the HEX.3C.

GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline PenguinMoe

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 08:20:09 »
I am really loving this set and have a couple of questions.

Do the profile rows go 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1 from top to bottom?  I was trying to figure out if the ESC keys on the top row of the 40s kit are duplicates with the ESC keys in the base kit.
Looks like ortho and all 1u mods boards are pretty well covered except for the T+/T- and caps lock keys.  Any possibility of adding a 1u caps lock or ctrl key for R3 and a 1u T+/T- key for R2?

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 23:43:16 »

Yes, we will definitely get samples before any GB goes live. I'll work on doing a few more renders too, in the mean time here's two I did recently on the HEX.3C.

Show Image

Show Image

As long as you can keep it a deep and vivid blue for the alphas I'm in. Thought my favorite blue set was mizu, but this is looking extra nice.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 11:39:46 »
Definitely in for the subtle look. It’d cost hella much if you go with GMK so please keep it PBT

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 14:54:47 »

Do the profile rows go 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1 from top to bottom?  I was trying to figure out if the ESC keys on the top row of the 40s kit are duplicates with the ESC keys in the base kit.
Looks like ortho and all 1u mods boards are pretty well covered except for the T+/T- and caps lock keys.  Any possibility of adding a 1u caps lock or ctrl key for R3 and a 1u T+/T- key for R2?

I should probably number the rows, it can get confusing with the ortho kits :D . The rows from top to bottom are 2-3-3-4-4-4-space with 'normal' western numbering. A lot of Chinese manufacturers including ePBT number them in reverse, so it would be 3-2-2-1-1-1-space I think. The esc keys in the ortho/40s kit are on the Q and A rows.

As long as you can keep it a deep and vivid blue for the alphas I'm in. Thought my favorite blue set was mizu, but this is looking extra nice.

I'll try to keep it pretty similar to those renders. I don't want anything too bright because it ruins the look a little bit IMO

Definitely in for the subtle look. It’d cost hella much if you go with GMK so please keep it PBT

GMK doesn't do tripleshots, and using pad printed sublegends would not go down well with a lot of people. So we won't be switching to GMK for this one anyway ;D

Offline bananafritters

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 02:04:27 »
Count me in..

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 00:28:33 »

I should probably number the rows, it can get confusing with the ortho kits :D . The rows from top to bottom are 2-3-3-4-4-4-space with 'normal' western numbering. A lot of Chinese manufacturers including ePBT number them in reverse, so it would be 3-2-2-1-1-1-space I think. The esc keys in the ortho/40s kit are on the Q and A rows.

I'll try to keep it pretty similar to those renders. I don't want anything too bright because it ruins the look a little bit IMO

Agreed, having it be a lighter blue would ruin the whole thing for me too. Even the light blue mods aren't really doing it for me, so I'm happy they are on another kit. It seems like we are on the same page, so hopefully this run is nothing but smooth sailing.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:36:00 »
Here are some updated the kit layouts. I'm pretty sure I took into account everyone's suggestions, but let me know if I missed something.

Colevrak, a blue base kit, and a normal legends kit are still TBC until we here back from ePBT about MOQs and stuff.

We've also created a discord server for updates about this set and other projects Ryan and I are working on. Joining the discord is completely optional, all updates will still be posted here of course ;D

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 19:20:48 »
I would love to buy this one if there's an ISO-FR kit like in ePBT Mint.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline MMKB

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 00:05:36 »
Base kit is an instant buy  :) non-standard symbols will be hella confusing but the kit is super clean

Offline duxbridge

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 14:18:29 »
This looks great!  :thumb:

Offline eas

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 02:11:45 »
Would it be possible to get a 1U R1 "WORD" in the small kit for Preonic?

Offline noodleman

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 19:59:09 »
are the homing keys bar and scooped only?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 11:58:48 »

That should be possible, yes

are the homing keys bar and scooped only?

Answered you on discord, but for anyone else wondering the same thing; they're barred only.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 21:32:37 »

That should be possible, yes

i love you.

Offline eas

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 01:46:04 »
This is going to be awesome.

Offline Luminair

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 01:33:21 »
I appreciate the retro typewriter icons all over this, but it's not my thing even though the color scheme is. Maybe offer a non-novelty set for the wider audience :)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 03:28:32 »
Possibly interested depending on how the final color of the mods turn out.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Heist Morty

• MD.Doof
    • Mascis Designs
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 13:12:06 »
This set looks killer, love the choice of ePBT over GMK, colors still look amazing

Offline shodid

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 12:55:56 »
I am all in on this. waiting for updates

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:30:30 »
Update time ;D

Firstly, sorry for the lack of updates recently. Both Ryan and I have been pretty busy lately with work and other stuff, but we have kept working on things behind the scenes.

We have requested some samples from EnjoyPBT, including both the regular and the blue mods. We'll post some photos when they arrive so you can see how they turned out. I know some people have raised concerns about ePBT's reverse dyesubbing. If the quality of the samples ends up being not so good we might consider going with someone else, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

We will also be offering two base kits, one with white and one with blue mods. ePBT's MOQ is for the total number of base kits, not per base kit as we assumed initially, so this won't affect the chances of not hitting MOQ. I will be updating the kit layouts with this change soon. This will make things a lot cheaper compared to buying the blue mods as an add-on. It does remove the option of buying just the blue mods to pair with either the OG keycaps or other keysets, but I think this change will make the majority happy.

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:38:15 »
Update time ;D

Firstly, sorry for the lack of updates recently. Both Ryan and I have been pretty busy lately with work and other stuff, but we have kept working on things behind the scenes.

We have requested some samples from EnjoyPBT, including both the regular and the blue mods. We'll post some photos when they arrive so you can see how they turned out. I know some people have raised concerns about ePBT's reverse dyesubbing. If the quality of the samples ends up being not so good we might consider going with someone else, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

We will also be offering two base kits, one with white and one with blue mods. ePBT's MOQ is for the total number of base kits, not per base kit as we assumed initially, so this won't affect the chances of not hitting MOQ. I will be updating the kit layouts with this change soon. This will make things a lot cheaper compared to buying the blue mods as an add-on. It does remove the option of buying just the blue mods to pair with either the OG keycaps or other keysets, but I think this change will make the majority happy.

Possibly my most anticipated set thus far in 2020. Looking forward to seeing the next update.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:40:02 »
fantastic news. was thinking about this a few days ago too.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 14:25:02 »
i'm really excited about this.  currently using an old cherry 1800 keyboard with TA Origins keycaps on it, and i suspect this might look even better!

Offline Hyphen

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 19:24:30 »
That's clean! I'd definitely be down for this if there were a Canadian proxy. 

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 04:02:55 »
Same.

Offline eeveeatemyessay

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:11:10 »
Any chance of an NorDe kit? It's such a beautiful set, but sadly a no thanks without æøå for me.

Offline komodo90

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 14:02:22 »
It's already decided - I'm getting all kits in an instant : ) Such a well crafted set! Kudos towards dr_derivative.
Keep us informed on the progress and please, please, take care for EU vendor : )

On a sidenote:
I'm not sure why people decide to invest money into bright colored sets in ABS at all. Shine could be considered as a pro or as a con, depending on preferences. But potential yellowing of the keycaps is unacceptable IMO, yet it's not being mentioned that often I realized.

We invest in all those pricey sets mainly for aesthetics and every subtlety may decide whether it's a dream come true, or a no-go situation. Imagine this fresh-white look becoming aged vintage butter in matter of months if you happen to expose your workdesk to a sunrays too much.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 15:05:54 »
Many bright colourways that are popular in ABS [9009, TA, classic beige, B on W and W on B, Red Alert] actually make more sense as PBT sets.

I've ordered Shoko, and if I ever receive it, I'll enjoy it for its fleeting beauty.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 19:03:49 »
Any chance of an NorDe kit? It's such a beautiful set, but sadly a no thanks without æøå for me.

We might do a minimal NorDe kit with just the extra accented letters and stuff. For symbols there's not much point since they're all incorrect for ANSI too ;D

Keep us informed on the progress and please, please, take care for EU vendor : )

Ryan and I are both European, we wouldn't run without one

I'm not sure why people decide to invest money into bright colored sets in ABS at all. Shine could be considered as a pro or as a con, depending on preferences. But potential yellowing of the keycaps is unacceptable IMO, yet it's not being mentioned that often I realized.

Yellowing isn't so much of a problem with modern, good quality ABS. Personally, while I was moving houses I ended up using my window sill as temporary keyboard storage for far too long (nearly a year lol). Some Tai Hao ABS keycaps ended up yellow AF, but my SP ABS caps were completely unaffected. Oddly enough, some cheapo PBT keycaps were actually bleached by the sunlight, so I guess you get what you pay for no matter what material you choose.

Regardless, you shouldn't have to worry about it for this set ;D

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 23:13:21 »
This set hits all the right spots as someone who had an origin story as a TA.

Offline komodo90

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 06:54:22 »

We might do a minimal NorDe kit with just the extra accented letters and stuff. For symbols there's not much point since they're all incorrect for ANSI too ;D

Ryan and I are both European, we wouldn't run without one

Yellowing isn't so much of a problem with modern, good quality ABS. Personally, while I was moving houses I ended up using my window sill as temporary keyboard storage for far too long (nearly a year lol). Some Tai Hao ABS keycaps ended up yellow AF, but my SP ABS caps were completely unaffected. Oddly enough, some cheapo PBT keycaps were actually bleached by the sunlight, so I guess you get what you pay for no matter what material you choose.

Regardless, you shouldn't have to worry about it for this set ;D

What you said about the quality of the keycaps makes perfect sense. Not a lot of reports from the field on how caps are handling in the longer run so thanks for sharing. Still, PBT is my material of choice when it comes to bright caps :)

I went through the posts here and suddenly realised it's been few months already since last update on the actual progress (samples order from June?). Has anything changed in that regard? Any tentative ETA for when we may expect GB to run?

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 10:06:07 »
Probably no GB this year per Discord