Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nord (GB June 10th)  (Read 260704 times)

Offline yoscartaco

Re: [IC] GMK Nord
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 12:16:34 »
Suggestions for the 40s kit:

• Add four 1.25 R4 modifers. So many 40% boards need them. Also, by adding them I think it'd cover all boardwalk layouts , some of which use four 1.25 R4 mods. Another reference: mk ultra's boardwalk plate foam has a variant that uses three.
  • Add a 1.25 R3 enter which is used by UT47 / UT47.2. It's less common but starting to be included in many recent gmk 40s kits -- eg cafe, bingsu, coral, phosphorous
  • Make backslash-pipe key mod colored for aesthetics

The colors and set overall look pretty great.

Offline yoscartaco

« Reply #251 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 12:29:14 »
OP Just posted a mini update on reddit with the addition of an assembly kit. So he's around and still working on this project.

Posts on reddit are at r/mechmarket and r/mechanicalkeyboards.

Offline ZeeToo

« Reply #252 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 13:50:25 »
Very much interested. The Assembly Kit is wonderful!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #253 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 17:33:26 »
OP Just posted a mini update on reddit with the addition of an assembly kit. So he's around and still working on this project.

The kit is nice but with all 1u mods, it's just an ergodox and ortho kit, not a "40's" kit.

Offline klaygor

« Reply #254 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:53:46 »
This set is awesome and I really love that it has full boardwalk support. However, I don't use a standard layout for my 1.5u modifiers...would you consider a set of blank 1.5u modifiers to match each row on either side so I could use blanks on keys that don't match any standard legend layout you currently support?

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #255 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 23:54:46 »
Suggestions for the 40s kit:

• Add four 1.25 R4 modifers. So many 40% boards need them. Also, by adding them I think it'd cover all boardwalk layouts , some of which use four 1.25 R4 mods. Another reference: mk ultra's boardwalk plate foam has a variant that uses three.
  • Add a 1.25 R3 enter which is used by UT47 / UT47.2. It's less common but starting to be included in many recent gmk 40s kits -- eg cafe, bingsu, coral, phosphorous
  • Make backslash-pipe key mod colored for aesthetics

The colors and set overall look pretty great.

Thanks for the feedback. I talked with the guys over at the 40% keebs discord and came to the same conclusions as in your post. All of those keys will be added to the assembly kit, apart from a colored pipe key. It doesn’t really fit in all that well.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #256 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 23:55:35 »

The kit is nice but with all 1u mods, it's just an ergodox and ortho kit, not a "40's" kit.

Changes will be made to better support 40% keebs.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #257 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 23:57:36 »
Not sure if its been mentioned before but one of the ISO keys in base is incorrect.

The highlighted key should be alpha coloured, not modifier coloured.

Show Image

You’re right, I’ll change it when the next set of renders gets pushed out.

Offline rondg

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:56:23 »
R3 1u "Code" or "Fn" key?

Offline harlekein

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:50:23 »

Guess not...

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 15:18:33 »
Show Image

Guess not...

40% memes  :p but seriously, there's not enough interest for colevark. Through the entire ic, only about 20 people requested colevark. There is no way that is going to reach moq.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 15:28:10 »
I guess not. I paid 70 for the GMK pulse Colevrak for that very reason.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 16:05:11 »

Does Colevrak worth to have it? I meant, considering that I need Norse symbols myself I am in the same boat at different side; but, again, does it?

Offline harlekein

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 06:23:10 »

Does Colevrak worth to have it? I meant, considering that I need Norse symbols myself I am in the same boat at different side; but, again, does it?

Good question. To me it does. When it comes to legends I could go two ways: novelty legends such as Hiragana, Rams, etc or accurate legends. I don't need the legends, but I don't want generic QWERTY when I don't even use it. Some keys would match, others would not. Does that matter? Logically no, but logic is not what dictates the drive of this hobby.

I want something customized which makes me happy to look at. GMK makes that very hard for ortho/Colemak DHm. I know, I could stick to regular 60% staggered QWERTY, but I care about ergonomics and comfort more than looks. To me, the end game is to have the best of both and there's no compromising for that.

So if I have to shell out $70 more for Colevrak, I do it. I know I'm a niche user. To me, it's worth it considering I don't build keyboards and shelf them for display. I use them daily. I curently have three Corne's. Two of which I want to be perfect.

If GMK Nord can cater to that, I'm going for it. If not, I'm keeping my eye out for other opportunities. That said, I'm very much inclined to support the alternative kit here. Maybe I'll just do something quirky like putting all legends in reverse. But that depends on the pricing.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 07:14:23 »

Good question. To me it does. When it comes to legends I could go two ways: novelty legends such as Hiragana, Rams, etc or accurate legends. I don't need the legends, but I don't want generic QWERTY when I don't even use it. Some keys would match, others would not. Does that matter? Logically no, but logic is not what dictates the drive of this hobby.

I want something customized which makes me happy to look at. GMK makes that very hard for ortho/Colemak DHm. I know, I could stick to regular 60% staggered QWERTY, but I care about ergonomics and comfort more than looks. To me, the end game is to have the best of both and there's no compromising for that.

So if I have to shell out $70 more for Colevrak, I do it. I know I'm a niche user. To me, it's worth it considering I don't build keyboards and shelf them for display. I use them daily. I curently have three Corne's. Two of which I want to be perfect.

If GMK Nord can cater to that, I'm going for it. If not, I'm keeping my eye out for other opportunities. That said, I'm very much inclined to support the alternative kit here. Maybe I'll just do something quirky like putting all legends in reverse. But that depends on the pricing.

You share a really good point here, people are more interested in alphas that look nice instead of alphas which are functional. Hiragana has around 170 requests. While colevark and dvorak combined have around 50.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 07:28:55 »
You share a really good point here, people are more interested in alphas that look nice instead of alphas which are functional. Hiragana has around 170 requests. While colevark and dvorak combined have around 50.

If it'd be Hiragana or Katakana monolegend I'm all over it.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #266 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 09:04:38 »

hiragana is very possible

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #267 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 09:36:38 »
Definitely interested in picking up a set of these. And one of those mats too 👍👍

Offline NitPik

« Reply #268 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 14:53:22 »
hype to see some news about this. been eyeing this up for awhile

Offline cobalt8

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 06:34:38 »
I'm very excited to see movement on this, as well! I know there are a lot of GMK group buys going on these days, but I've been watching this one for awhile with much more interest than any of the others. Also, patience isn't my virtue. lol. Thanks for the update Gtrx!

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #270 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 07:06:25 »
I'm very excited to see movement on this, as well! I know there are a lot of GMK group buys going on these days, but I've been watching this one for awhile with much more interest than any of the others. Also, patience isn't my virtue. lol. Thanks for the update Gtrx!

Thanks for the kind words, but nord might get pushed back. Competing against olivia++ would be impossible.

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 07:53:09 »
That’sa huge shame. Nicest set I think I’ve seen on here!

Offline KrasH

• Instagram Profile
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 13:05:44 »

Yes, huge shame. I prefer this to Olivia++

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #273 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 21:21:02 »

hiragana is very possible

After Masterpiece runs, Katakana only molds will be available, which would help the keep the price reasonable.

Offline r4wromg

« Reply #274 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 22:14:02 »
Hiragana sublegend kit would be incredible with this color way, fingers crossed

Offline Zacharius

[IC] GMK Nord
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 00:25:07 »
Can hiragana be an additional alpha kit? Or could we put in a poll if it’s a decision of replacing the base alphas?

I’ve been waiting on this set for quite a while, and would be gutted if the alphas get swapped to hiragana, or katakana, without an option for English alphas.

I accept I very well could just be in the minority on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2019, 00:27:47 by Zacharius »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #276 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 01:19:03 »
Hiragana sublegend kit would be incredible with this color way, fingers crossed
Please not sublegends.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #277 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 01:21:14 »

Same, don't care for Olivia at all.

Offline guzzi

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 01:26:17 »
Can hiragana be an additional alpha kit? Or could we put in a poll if it’s a decision of replacing the base alphas?

I’ve been waiting on this set for quite a while, and would be gutted if the alphas get swapped to hiragana, or katakana, without an option for English alphas.

+1. Hiragana sublegends don't make sense to me on a set like this. If it's a child kit who am I to judge but for base I'm out.
Besides, I'd be surprised if molds for hiragana NorDE keys even exist, so that kit would be kinda dead as well.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 01:37:25 »
Yeah please no hiragana in base - it doesn't fit at all imo.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 01:47:58 »

+1. Hiragana sublegends don't make sense to me on a set like this. If it's a child kit who am I to judge but for base I'm out.
Besides, I'd be surprised if molds for hiragana NorDE keys even exist, so that kit would be kinda dead as well.

Hiragana wont be in base.

Offline dibkib

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 04:16:18 »

I think it's a very good decision. With Christmas coming up and people having to spend too much money already, and Olivia++ in the running, waiting means there's more chances of people buying the set as they won't have to choose between presents for the family and their hobby (hell, the Christmas money could go towards... More keebs?!)

As someone who wants to buy both, I'd also rather wait than have to miss out on one because I can't afford it all in the same month.

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 04:37:29 »
Appreciate everyone has their own preference but I feel this in no way competes with the Olivia set — which has a very feminine/soft feel.

But either way, I’m looking forward to this 👍

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 07:53:42 »
 What about something fun like Nordic sublegends in base, or Nordic main legends with US sublegends? That pays homage to the name and somewhat obviates the need for NorDeUK.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #284 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 08:11:46 »
What about something fun like Nordic sublegends in base, or Nordic main legends with US sublegends? That pays homage to the name and somewhat obviates the need for NorDeUK.

that's cool and all, but I'm pretty sure that more people would like a normal base kit better than runes.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #285 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 10:25:36 »

that's cool and all, but I'm pretty sure that more people would like a normal base kit better than runes.

Norse are an outlier. Everything else should be standard ANSI.

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #286 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:46:25 »

Hiragana wont be in base.

Bless up. Can’t wait for this drop m’dude. I’ve waited this long, so a couple more months ain’t a deal imo.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #287 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 17:45:43 »
I wasn't the biggest fan of the colors initially (for no real reason), but this assembly kit is terrific and the colors are starting to grow on me.

I love to see designers support alternate layouts and languages (I guess I shouldn't be surprised that IDE inspired colorways appeal to people that use weird layouts, but they all look so good).

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #288 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 11:48:24 »
I wasn't the biggest fan of the colors initially (for no real reason), but this assembly kit is terrific and the colors are starting to grow on me.

I love to see designers support alternate layouts and languages (I guess I shouldn't be surprised that IDE inspired colorways appeal to people that use weird layouts, but they all look so good).

Changes to the assembly kit are coming up :P. It's going to have better 40% support.

Offline whyamihere

« Reply #289 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 12:05:46 »
For a set based on a text editor theme, I think text mods instead of icons should be the default

Hiragana doesn't fit at all tbh

Nord is ftw though... looks better than Dracula

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #290 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 13:50:10 »

Changes to the assembly kit are coming up :P. It's going to have better 40% support.
40% gang are rascals, they adopt completely nonstandard layouts, but still stick to the stagger of their oppressors.

I don't get it, but there's a layout for every fool, and I'm glad this set covers most of them.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #291 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 16:15:54 »

40% gang are rascals, they adopt completely nonstandard layouts, but still stick to the stagger of their oppressors.

I don't get it, but there's a layout for every fool, and I'm glad this set covers most of them.
Agreed.

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #292 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 19:15:48 »
Is there any significance as to why Control and Alt colors are different for left and right? And is there a final decision yet on the possibility of having the Caps and Shift icons left-center aligned like the rest of the icons?

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #293 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 05:08:48 »
I had a look at how the kits stand now... the base kit still has the R3 #~ key, even though the Norde(Uk) kit has all the keys specific to the English (UK) national layout (including R3 #~). IMHO, it makes little sense to retain it in the base kit and would be better off as an R3 \| key instead.

(the R4 \| key can remain as-is, to keep the kit in the PC style, OR it could be changed to an R4 <>, to follow the terminal style)

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #294 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 05:40:30 »
For a set based on a text editor theme, I think text mods instead of icons should be the default

Hiragana doesn't fit at all tbh

Nord is ftw though... looks better than Dracula

Icon mods look better :P

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #295 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 05:44:32 »
Is there any significance as to why Control and Alt colors are different for left and right? And is there a final decision yet on the possibility of having the Caps and Shift icons left-center aligned like the rest of the icons?

Different colors for ctrl look better. I’m leaning towards left centrred, but haven’t decided yet.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #296 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 13:28:43 »

Different colors for ctrl look better. I’m leaning towards left centrred, but haven’t decided yet.

Not sure if you caught the incorrect coloured ISO key I posted a few days ago from the latest renders, but the Bse R3 key was mod coloured not alpha coloured.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #297 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 00:41:04 »

Not sure if you caught the incorrect coloured ISO key I posted a few days ago from the latest renders, but the Bse R3 key was mod coloured not alpha coloured.

That’s gonna be changed, it’s just that I dont have new renders yet.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #298 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 00:45:12 »

Something like this would make this set a must for me:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #299 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 08:08:01 »

Something like this would make this set a must for me:

(Attachment Link)

That looks cool; but, if GMK does not have the molds for the multiple legends would cost more to pay for them.