Author Topic: [IC] GMK Bushidō  (Read 119546 times)

Offline unluckyxiii

• Instagram
Re: [IC] GMK Bushidō
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 00:17:04 »
Love the helmets in the novelty kit. How bout different tanto designs for the mod since the words seem aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline myyrddraal

« Reply #201 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 07:21:55 »

One of the only big keyboard designers who I think deserves respect. You can always count on your keyboard being covered if it’s being designed by biip. And if it doesn’t make MOQ at least he took the extra effort (is making a picture/render of a kit really that hard? I mean most of these guys have scripts for it. So like as hard as pressing enter) whereas most big designers, you ask where is ortho support, or say why are you missing this key from specialties, you just get a “deal with it” type response. If you get one at all.

Glad you found a set that embodies your essence enough for you to back. Maybe we'll even see you post it, and if we're really lucky see how an alpha like you really lives.

Meanwhile I'll just be here typing on a pink polycarbonate board with GMK Olivia.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Being ironic a sarcastic helps just your low urges and even that only for a short time. It for sure does not help him (in case you think he needs a lesson) to understand anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fm

« Reply #202 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 11:23:14 »
Great use of colors, I think some people are not going to be happy with the mixed colors in the base kit. I personally don't mind.
Thank you!

Offline Zurg Eon

« Reply #203 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 12:00:11 »
In the Samurai kit there are two R1's. Is the second R1 actually R2? I do hope so, and it looks like it is R2 in the Alice render.

Offline Niahi

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 20:22:11 »
Love it, the two toned alphas are super interesting - hope to see this go ahead.

:)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #205 on: Mon, 28 October 2019, 03:13:33 »
In the Samurai kit there are two R1's. Is the second R1 actually R2? I do hope so, and it looks like it is R2 in the Alice render.

Indeed the second row is supposed to be R2 :thumb:
My bad…

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 08:21:10 »
Any update on this, are we getting close to making this a reality?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 08:24:29 »
Any update on this, are we getting close to making this a reality?

Well, I have vendors which are definitely in!
I need to update the novelties kit and add the ロ character first :thumb:

Offline KillinItTakyon

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 23:46:14 »
I love the theme to this! I was thinking about making a similar color scheme to match Babymetal's colors (and call it GMK Fox God) but this is basically it! Excited to join this GB.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 30 October 2019, 01:49:50 »
I love the theme to this! I was thinking about making a similar color scheme to match Babymetal's colors (and call it GMK Fox God) but this is basically it! Excited to join this GB.

Bruh, you need to check out GMK Kitsune. Personally I prefer the look of this one, but still. I literally begged them to make a Babymetal novelty key for it. Will that ever reach the GB stage? OTFGK.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 October 2019, 01:54:08 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

• n/a
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 09:53:14 »
........dreaming of these!
Yes im a bit obsessed!

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 10:54:13 »
White accent enter and red accent esc in base? :)

Offline asspennies

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 11:19:21 »
It looks great, and the name outrage is very much a load of manufactured nonsense.

I have a far bigger issue with the two tone alphas being the base kit. They really should be an optional kit. With prices on custom keycaps already sky high, the idea of nickel-and-diming the consumer to buy an extra kit just to have matching colors turns me sour.

• n/a
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 11:33:25 »
I have a far bigger issue with the two tone alphas being the base kit. They really should be an optional kit. With prices on custom keycaps already sky high, the idea of nickel-and-diming the consumer to buy an extra kit just to have matching colors turns me sour.

I see it from the other angle. the two tones create a unique and different look then the majority of the other sets being put out. To me its one of the pillars of this set.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 11:37:30 »

I see it from the other angle. the two tones create a unique and different look then the majority of the other sets being put out. To me its one of the pillars of this set.

QFT.
Ortho. Always.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 11:43:07 »

Which is fine, but then base should be in single color tone, and anyone interested in differentiation can go for alt color, and tbh the entire set in red looks killer....no pun intended.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 12:15:31 »
Why not making the default as full bushido? (all red legends)

And an add-on kit to have the white legend variation for some of the keys? esp Alphas?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 12:28:28 »

And an add-on kit to have the white legend variation for some of the keys? esp Alphas?

I 100% agree. The add-on should be the white and the base should be the all one color.

This just seems like a ploy to try and sell an add-on kit at additional cost.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 12:37:59 »

I 100% agree. The add-on should be the white and the base should be the all one color.

The split does not come from nowhere. It literally symbolize the seppuku ritual (with the blade being on the return key).

Offline psxndc

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 13:01:27 »

I'm sure this was the idea; Biip's got a house payment to make and the only way to make that happen is to force people to buy an add-on kit. /s  :rolleyes:

This is a concept keyset, folks. The two-tone approach is part of that concept. Heck, look at the logo - white on top, red on the bottom. If it ain't your jam, that's fine, but don't accuse Biip - who's one of the most accommodating designers around here - of intentionally trying to stick it to people.
Ortho. Always.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 13:49:02 »

The split does not come from nowhere. It literally symbolize the seppuku ritual (with the blade being on the return key).

Now I get it.
I would agree if the return key (a blade) row is the only role with a difference legend color (be it red or white) - then it will be more obvious with the idea of seppuku.

If the kit want to make life of most users easier, I would suggest a same legend color base kit - perhaps with a generous seppuku return key added.
And then and add-on kit to achieve the seppuku look, like most other kits that achieve their distinctive look with their add-on kits.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 14:14:16 »
ITT people telling a designer how to design his set. More news at 11.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 14:46:47 »

I try not to.
As a potential user and consumer, I try to voice out how I feel if I am to use it.

By the way,
What's the difference between the feedback to a design, versus, say, a critic?
And can there be or should there be a critic of art and design?

One can say,
Everything is freedom of expression, and so as art and design, of keyboard stuff.
Designs are more realistic than art in that they need some practicality to fit the users for some purpose; while at the same time it does not need to please all users.

And so it goes, designers should have their freedom to express their design ideas and will, even for some very out of the world ideas;
users who want to contribute feedback should express also freely, as long as not scammingly.
While moderators and admins are the governments, they have the power to control expressions, e.g. who are allowed to run GB or not, who are allowed to post or not.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline psxndc

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 16:26:18 »

I try not to.
As a potential user and consumer, I try to voice out how I feel if I am to use it.

By the way,

I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone else, but I thought what you said was fine, eg, the base kit should all be the same color and white should be an add-on. To me, that's what ICs are for - feedback on the kit.

What I didn't like was clik-clak's suggestion that it was a ploy to charge more money; like biip is being sneaky. And while biip can fight their own battles, my interactions with biip have all been really positive, so it rubbed me the wrong way that they were being attacked and, again, IMHO, that's not what ICs are for.
Ortho. Always.

Offline ShuraSomething

« Reply #224 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 17:40:33 »
Hello, biip! First-time on the site haha this set looks amazing! :thumb: I've just gotten into the whole keycap space recently and have been following the gmk designs for a bit and have always wanted to get a set for myself :) I just wanna know if you'll be or are thinking adding Euro keycaps like the 3Ł to the set since the set has the iso layout? Still an amazing design regardless :)

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 21:21:44 »
Hello, biip! First-time on the site haha this set looks amazing! :thumb: I've just gotten into the whole keycap space recently and have been following the gmk designs for a bit and have always wanted to get a set for myself :) I just wanna know if you'll be or are thinking adding Euro keycaps like the 3Ł to the set since the set has the iso layout? Still an amazing design regardless :)

There are Hiragana Norde molds (nvm i was thinking of ePBT Kuro/Shiro) but no katakana ones. they'd have to be made. increasing the cost of an already pricey add-on-kit which in turn will price some ppl out of a kit that already struggles to hit moq. i know the pain, dvorak user here.

The other challenge is there being the base kit alphas and the dishonor kit, a Norde kit would either have to be two toned leaving out the ppl that want to use the dishonor kit or you'd have to include dishonored keys to the Norde Kit further increasing the price.

but it would be dope.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 November 2019, 21:41:50 by CodeMayhem »

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #226 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 04:21:54 »

That would significantly increase the price. Keep in mind that we already have custom colors and new molds being made for that set :thumb:

Offline Owl-

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 08:43:02 »
Any considerations for a R3 1.75u novelty, biip?

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 10:39:49 »
I'd also prefer if the base set was all one color and the add-on changed the color. Also might be nice to have Latin only alphas (add-on?)

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 20:31:23 »
Since people are expressing their opinion on whether they prefer a single color vs dual color on the base kit, I'm also going to express that I prefer the dual color even if I end up buying all the other kits.

Having the base kit with the split is going to draw much more attention compared to a single color.

• n/a
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 20:50:17 »
Since people are expressing their opinion on whether they prefer a single color vs dual color on the base kit, I'm also going to express that I prefer the dual color even if I end up buying all the other kits.

Having the base kit with the split is going to draw much more attention compared to a single color.
Cannot agree more! The dual color makes this set so unique

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Willhurt2008

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 03:31:59 »

Cannot agree more! The dual color makes this set so unique

Yes! Without white it's just a nice black-and-red set, but with white it's unforgettable

Offline nightgyr

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 11:13:39 »
cant wait for this GB. I am really liking the color sets.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 18:27:29 »
This is a fantastic set. Imagining them on various keyboards.

Edit: Just read all the drama. Geez... I hope you don't sway from your original vision.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 November 2019, 18:36:39 by Robosculpts »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 02:46:52 »
I hope I will have enough money to get this set when this GB run... and I will get also the “Dishonest set” to make a bright blood red on grey consistent aesthetics. And I hope there can be some extra white on grey set so as to make this lovely set even more versatile.
I dig the colorway and I collect toys related to Samurai since I was small.

Just the base set will cost almost 75% of the money I can spend in a whole month, and I have to save enough for this set.

As a topic related to Bushidō - which is not limited to the book much later written by Inazo Nitobe for the western audience “Bushidō: The Soul of Japan”, I live in Berlin which is kind of a gay people center of Europe, and many good friends are gay and are more and more fond of the Samurai culture because as a matter of historical fact most if not all of the Samurai were homosexual or at least practiced mostly homosexuality. It is not talked about as often because modern Japan after late 19th century was converted to scrap homosexuality as part of its normal practice. The Samurai preferred sex with guys than with women as a superstitious thinking to stay away from “getting more feminine” if they have sex with females, and so they could stay strong if they get lucky with men instead.. Their Samurai code of conduct and also some fighting skills, which is explored by that book I mentioned above, was passed on almost like an ancient Greek way: an older Samurai usually would “bond with” a younger boy Samurai-wannabe to teach him all these and at the same time engage with this boy the way of men love.
I just felt fascinated when I learnt about this.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Jude.

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 22:53:37 »
Looks amazing! 100% in

Offline Katsurio

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:17:42 »
To piggyback on others' suggestions, I'd also prefer the single toned legends in the base kit. It makes sense to have the different legends as a kit to keep costs down, which is important to me since there are so many sets I want on the horizon. Having more customized looks relegated to kits seems to be the norm anyway. I absolutely love this set, but the overall price will definitely affect my participation since I want full bushido, spacebars, and novelties.

Awesome work though!!!

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:24:40 »
I hope I will have enough money to get this set when this GB run... and I will get also the “Dishonest set” to make a bright blood red on grey consistent aesthetics. And I hope there can be some extra white on grey set so as to make this lovely set even more versatile.

Just the base set will cost almost 75% of the money I can spend in a whole month, and I have to save enough for this set.

As a topic related to Bushidō - which is not limited to the book much later written by Inazo Nitobe for the western audience “Bushidō: The Soul of Japan”, I live in Berlin which is kind of a gay people center of Europe, and many good friends are gay and are more and more fond of the Samurai culture because as a matter of historical fact most if not all of the Samurai were homosexual or at least practiced mostly homosexuality. It is not talked about as often because modern Japan after late 19th century was converted to scrap homosexuality as part of its normal practice. The Samurai preferred sex with guys than with women as a superstitious thinking to stay away from “getting more feminine” if they have sex with females, and so they could stay strong if they get lucky with men instead.. Their Samurai code of conduct and also some fighting skills, which is explored by that book I mentioned above, was passed on almost like an ancient Greek way: an older Samurai usually would “bond with” a younger boy Samurai-wannabe to teach him all these and at the same time engage with this boy the way of men love.

thanks for the extremely off topic information!

Offline menuhin

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:47:28 »

thanks for the extremely off topic information!

I really dig RO2 red of GMK and the modern grey.

Bushidō and Samurai - this is actually quite on topic
https://www.tofugu.com/japan/gay-samurai/
(I don't totally agree with how the author evaluate that particular "Bushidō" book versus the real Bushidō, but he dag up some real history)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:25:13 by menuhin »
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #239 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 00:38:39 »
Can someone tell me why there is a R3 1u \ and a R4 1u \ under the ISO enter in the base set picture? I'd totally use the R4 1u \ to switch my 1u enter to R3 in a preonic. But I'm starting to think that one of those might be a mistake, maybe, I'm not sure.

EDIT: I guess it's an ISO thing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 November 2019, 07:52:35 by Robosculpts »

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 07:14:11 »
I will provide another vote for keeping the base as-is, it makes this set unique and would be the only way I use it. If someone wants something outside of the designers vision then that should be extra.

Offline bliss

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 15:05:35 »
Can someone tell me why there is a R3 1u \ and a R4 1u \ under the ISO enter in the base set picture? I'd totally use the R4 1u \ to switch my 1u enter to R3 in a preonic. But I'm starting to think that one of those might be a mistake, maybe, I'm not sure.

These are perfectly fine. US over ISO, PC style :thumb:

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #242 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 17:44:26 »

These are perfectly fine. US over ISO, PC style :thumb:

More than fine, really. If I could only get a R3 page up so I could put this set in the SP111. I'm already going to get 2 sets of this haha. This whole set is ace!

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 10:31:09 »

I try not to.

By the way,

I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone else, but I thought what you said was fine, eg, the base kit should all be the same color and white should be an add-on. To me, that's what ICs are for - feedback on the kit.

What I didn't like was clik-clak's suggestion that it was a ploy to charge more money; like biip is being sneaky. And while biip can fight their own battles, my interactions with biip have all been really positive, so it rubbed me the wrong way that they were being attacked and, again, IMHO, that's not what ICs are for.

I don't really care if you don't like my suggestion. I called it as I saw it.

Biip came in and explained why the setup is done the way it is, and it makes sense to me. I'll get the set regardless, and the vendor that sells it will get extra from me for the add-on kit. It's a win-win situation for all.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 11:11:42 »
Any chance of tossing in an extra "B" to the spacebar kit brother? Normally the "0" from the numpad kit serves it well for my Alice, but with the dual legends that ain't look so hot no more   :-*

Offline psxndc

[IC] GMK Bushidō
« Reply #245 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 11:17:43 »
I don't really care if you don't like my suggestion. I called it as I saw it.

It wasn't your suggestion I didn't like, it was that you were being an a-hole in the way you made it. I don't really care if you don't like my suggestion on your conduct. I called it as I saw it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2019, 16:29:59 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 20:10:55 »
keep set as is. def what makes it unique and eye catching. im in for this set all the way

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 02:36:50 »
keep set as is. def what makes it unique and eye catching. im in for this set all the way

I don't plan to change the base kit :thumb:
I'm considering a white addon kit though. But I'm waiting for GMK to give me a sign atm.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 06:54:03 »
I would very much be in for a white add-on kit.

Offline obitwo

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 07:56:54 »
Hi, new member, signed up just so I can support this set. I'm in for the base, samurai, dishonor and space kit.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 November 2019, 07:58:35 by obitwo »