Author Topic: Poker 2 layout mod - viability check  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Beelzebro

Poker 2 layout mod - viability check
« on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 07:26:55 »
So I just want to check with some people more knowledgable than myself (you guys) whether or not my plan is viable. It's pretty much this:

- Buy an ISO Poker 2
- Buy an ANSI left shift keycap
- Remove the ls key and \ key and fill in the holes in the PCB
- Create new holes in the correct place for an ANSI ls key
- Do the same thing to the plate
- Join up the connections on the PCB that were cut during the drilling

Is this possible? If so, the second phase would be to use the same process to move the fn key from the right of the space bar to the left (thus moving the space bar one key to the right). This would obviously be a more complex mod. The desired layout for the bottom row would be: Ctrl, win, fn, alt, space, alt, pn, ctrl all using the stock poker 2 keycaps (cos i like them). I will also mod in LEDs eventually but I'm not too bothered about that.

From what I know, the main problem is due to the plate. With ordinary tools is it possible for me to get the correct level of precision in cutting the plate or would I be better off just getting a custom one cut? Or maybe I can PCB mount the switches instead? However correct me if i'm wrong but I would need to purchase new switches as the designs are different between plate and PCB mounted.

The alternative idea would be to build my own keyboard using a teensy and a custom plate and hand wire the switches. This is my back up plan and would also leave me with two keyboards (since I'm already decided on buying the Poker 2 anyway) which would be nice. Would building my own board actually be easier than doing the mods discussed above? I saw some good guides and it doesn't look to intimidating.

Thanks to anyone who helps me out :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 January 2014, 07:29:15 by Beelzebro »

Offline regack

Re: Poker 2 layout mod - viability check
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 08:42:02 »
I'll preface this by saying I don't have a Poker 2, so I'm just taking a stab here.

Anyway, because of the plate you're kind of hosed from the beginning - altering the plate to a different layout would be... difficult at best.  Your best bet there would be a new plate, which really means, you're probably better off going with a custom plate and the direct-wire-custom-method.

So, ignoring that first part... you are probably correct in that you wouldn't WANT to re-use your plate mounted switches directly on the PCB.  You would drill 5 holes for each switch (there are two stabilizing pins that flank the center post on PCB mount switches), probably a little small so the switch would be jammed in there and be held by friction.  The biggest problem here is that wouldn't benefit from soldering the switch to the PCB, since your new holes wouldn't have pads to solder to.  You really would need a plate in this case... which brings us back to the beginning.

So ignoring both of the last two problems, I think the moving the space bar is going to be either very difficult or impossible.  Under the space-bar on the back of the PCB is where the controller and it's associated components live.  There will be a lot of traces in that area, and you'll have to move the holes for the stabilizers, plus the switches, and I doubt there will be space around all of the components there to allow for that change. 

Now that I've told you my opinions on why I don't think it will work I'll just say that if you put your mind to it, I'm sure you can find a way around those problems, somehow, but whether it is worth the effort or not is another matter. 

Anyway, just my thoughts - since I only have a Pure, you might want to wait for someone with more experience with the Poker 2 (or modding existing PCBs in general) to chime in. 

Offline Beelzebro

Re: Poker 2 layout mod - viability check
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 10:47:07 »
Thanks :) what you said regarding shifting the bottom row around makes sense. I guess it's not really possible/worth the effort on the Poker 2 due to the controller. Certainly building and hand wiring my own board would be easier.

I can definitely live with just modding in the large left shift though. Being british I am used to the ISO enter but I also think the large left shift is really nice for games especially starcraft 2 where it's used a lot. Hence the desire to mod it in.

I suppose my best course of action is to wait until I get the Poker 2 and take it apart to have a look at the plate, and enlist my dad (retired engineer) to advise on whether it's possible to cut it accurately enough. If it's not then I'll just be satisfied with my stock Poker 2 (+modded in leds) and do a full custom build in the summer when I have time to fulfill my desired layout. If I'm doing a new build it gives me more flexibility with keycaps since I have to buy a new set anyway. Might go for a 1.75 right shift so I can fit another key in there, and also mess around with the bottom row a lot. Space bar can definitely be smaller  ;D