Author Topic: Is there any Ebayer sellers to avoid?  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Idiot_Hacker

Is there any Ebayer sellers to avoid?
« on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 01:14:15 »
Please let me know if there are Ebay sellers out there to avoid when purchasing keyboards....
Too many Model Ms to count
Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2
Compaq MX11800
Dell AT101W
IBM Ultranav
Logitech G15 Version 1
Logitech DiNovo Edge

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 07:47:27 »
Not that they are bad sellers just ridiculously overpriced, but there are a couple of sellers (maybe someone can help me with the names; VintageComputing I think is one) that will put up stuff like Dell AT-101Ws for $50+.  Just be aware of some of these sellers overcharging.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 08:50:49 »
I suspect that you're referring to Vintage Computer Museum.  Another is recycledgoods.com...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 09:13:16 »
Quote from: skriefal;91733
I suspect that you're referring to Vintage Computer Museum. Another is recycledgoods.com...

That's them.  Good lookin', skriefal.

Offline ozar

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 10:12:29 »
I usually try not to buy from any seller with a feedback rating below 99.5% and on those occasions that I've done so, I've usually regretted it.

Of course there are exceptions that might cause me to forgo that self-imposed rule.

Offline Idiot_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 11:34:02 »
Quote from: skriefal;91733
I suspect that you're referring to Vintage Computer Museum.  Another is recycledgoods.com...

Yeah, that Ebayer is trying to sell dirty 301s for $100.  Cleaned up maybe but dirty, COME ON!
Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2
Compaq MX11800
Dell AT101W
IBM Ultranav
Logitech G15 Version 1
Logitech DiNovo Edge

Offline neptunebadger

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 16:23:53 »
Relating to dirty keyboards, from my experience, if the seller doesn't explicitly say that they've cleaned the board, it's most likely filthy.
[SIZE=0]Keyboards: [Cherry brown]: Filco White Otaku Tactile Touch [Cherry blue]: Filco Majestouch FKB104MC/EB [Cherry black]: Cherry G80-11900 [Capacitive]: Topre Realforce 87U [Buckling Spring]: IBM Model M 71G4644 - 1391401 [Alps black]: Dell AT101W
Previously owned: SGI AT-101 - Filco FKB104M/EB (traded with mp29k) - Cherry g80-3000LSCRC (sold to elbowglue) - iOne Scorpius M10 (sold to Hubbert) - 2x Compaq MX 11800 (sold to kcxme and TexasFlood) - Realforce 101 (sold to elbowglue) - IBM M13 (sold to stephenashelton)
For sale (PM if interested): Chicony KB-5191 (clicky white Cherry copies, like new)[/SIZE]

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 16:29:38 »
RNS Auctions.  I've dealt with them on "fully working keyboards that have ended up arriving with broken spacebars (Chicony KB-7001, I ended up repairing it myself)
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 21:41:50 »
I avoid any ebay seller that won't give me a better deal on shipping :)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 07:25:48 »
Quote from: webwit;91874
I avoid cheap people. Especially when they're proud of it. Beyond shame.

We have a guy here at work that's like that.  I mean, I am not going to overpay for something, but this guy goes overboard.  He is on the phone daily with different stores/services trying to get better deals on things.  I know it doesn't sound bad as I tell it, but when you listen to the guy and what he is negotiating on, it's sick.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 10:14:19 »
Vintage Computer Museum
They advertised the Marquardt that wouldn't work as "untested". And it was expensive.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 12:49:50 »
Nowsharing got a 1391401 missing a spacebar for $1.04 with a 5 cent bump 5 secs before bidding end. Made my day.
An '87 1401 no less!

This cheapness is new for me, probably a result being in Brazil for so long, where everyone wants to make a deal. I spent about $20 to ship a big espresso machine via UPS a while back, so it seems crazy for people to be asking $20-25 shipping on a keyboard, even one as heavy as an old M. Usually when I request actual shipping, it ends up being closer to $8 USPS, or $11 UPS. There are a few fees involved with ebay, but that's technically not supposed to be passed on to buyers.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 01:02:53 »
Quote from: itlnstln;91882
We have a guy here at work that's like that.  I mean, I am not going to overpay for something, but this guy goes overboard.  He is on the phone daily with different stores/services trying to get better deals on things.  I know it doesn't sound bad as I tell it, but when you listen to the guy and what he is negotiating on, it's sick.

Yer breakin my balls.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 10:39:42 »
Quote from: ripster;91928
Whoah - that was bad.   Didn't the seller offer any refund??
I don't know who bought it. It was right in the description, like:

"This board didn't work on any of our computers so we're selling it as untested".

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 15:35:43 »
Quote from: ripster;91899
Don't you be dissin my mother.  She still brings over coupons and free samples to my house whenever she visits.

My wife and I are big fans of weekly flyers and coupons. In the long run we have saved quite some money, especially on diapers. In the long run, a combination of coupons and sales can save a lot.

I don't negotiate on price though. But, if I don't like it for any single reason, I will return it. And God knows how many products I've returned. One time I bought a laptop at Staples and I made sure to ask for the return policy because they wanted me to apply for a credit and I would not have the physical card should I decide to return the product. . After 14 days, I decided to return it because I wanted to build two desktop instead. Summary:

CSR: You wan't to return this ? (like no energy at all )
Me : Yes.
CSR: Do you have the credit card with you?
Me: No, but I have the temporary card number.
CSR: I cannot refund you on the credit card or cash then. All I can give you is gift cards.
Me: EXCUSE ME??? YOU MUST BE KIDDING RIGHT? Because your manager did not say this when I was buying it. Call your manager please.
Manager: We can do a refund.

Offline Idiot_Hacker

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 21:06:31 »
Quote from: ripster;91899

Plus it's bragging rights.  Nowsharing got a 1391401 missing a spacebar for $1.04 with a 5 cent bump 5 secs before bidding end.  Made my day.

That was you?  I have a mortal enemy on this board!!!  These are fighting words!  =)  Congrats.  Can you tell me the exact date?
Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2
Compaq MX11800
Dell AT101W
IBM Ultranav
Logitech G15 Version 1
Logitech DiNovo Edge

Offline Idiot_Hacker

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 09:02:42 »
Quote from: ripster;92201
Not sure what you're asking the date of the auction or the date of the keyboard.  

I didn't bid on it.  Trust me.  I'll never post an Ebay auction if I'm gonna bid on it.  Blame Nowsharing.

And I DO have to whack you on this post title.  "Is there any Ebay sellers to avoid?" Arrrgh.....times like this we gotta petition iMav for the ability to change post titles.:boink:

All is forgiven if English is your second language.

Yes, I was about to go to bed when I wrote that.....  As for the keyboard, I was the one that bid .99 but wasn't close to a computer when the auction closed.  I was slightly pissed but I have gotten crazy deals on ebay and lost crazy deals as well.  So no harm no foul.  Yes, I want to know the date of the keyboard.  And if my any chance, you are willing to resell it.

Thanks
Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2
Compaq MX11800
Dell AT101W
IBM Ultranav
Logitech G15 Version 1
Logitech DiNovo Edge

Offline IBI

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 12:28:23 »
Quote from: ripster;92201
Arrrgh.....times like this we gotta petition iMav for the ability to change post titles.:boink:

You can change thread titles, bring up the edit box for the first post and then hit edit again.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 12:36:37 »
professional geekhack poster didn't know he could change his title? F*cken shame...

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 12:58:40 »
and then can't help but negotiate a lower shipping price like you're in some 2nd or 3rd world bazaar and the brick does not have to be shipped to another country or even continent, it is bad style and one of the nuisances why some dealers don't care to ship outside the US - it is not worth the trouble.
I've never negotiated a better shipping price AFTER winning an auction. I press the ask seller a question button and make a request for actual shipping. If a seller has dishonest shipping costs, I simply won't bid unless they come down.

edit: removed my *****y comment :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2009, 07:23:59 by nowsharing »

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 13:11:29 »
That was you? I have a mortal enemy on this board!!! These are fighting words! =) Congrats.
I'm never surprised to find the competition hanging out here at geekhack :) This place breeds ebay keyboard stalkers.
Can you tell me the exact date?
The date of the keyboard is 6-02-87, and the date the auction closed was May 5.

Offline Idiot_Hacker

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 14:19:59 »
Quote from: nowsharing;92337
I'm never surprised to find the competition hanging out here at geekhack :) This place breeds ebay keyboard stalkers.
 The date of the keyboard is 6-02-87, and the date the auction closed was May 5.

Damn, that is a steal!!! Please let us in all your other purchases.
Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2
Compaq MX11800
Dell AT101W
IBM Ultranav
Logitech G15 Version 1
Logitech DiNovo Edge

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 14:49:44 »
Is your friend plugging them into a computer for you?? Or are all the boxes stacking up unopened?
They're stacking unopened at the moment. I'm going to be writing reviews of a number of them, and maybe look into seeing if I can crack the PT # mystery (I'm in the Plate Number Camp).

Please let us in all your other purchases.
I think that thread would turn into a book with page after page of old Ms, some of which could be pretty scarry.

Offline Idiot_Hacker

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 16:55:44 »
Quote from: nowsharing;92356
They're stacking unopened at the moment. I'm going to be writing reviews of a number of them, and maybe look into seeing if I can crack the PT # mystery (I'm in the Plate Number Camp).

I think that thread would turn into a book with page after page of old Ms, some of which could be pretty scarry.

Exactly how many Model Ms do you have, if you don't mind me asking?  I thought I had a lot of Model M.  I have close to 10 at the moment.
Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2
Compaq MX11800
Dell AT101W
IBM Ultranav
Logitech G15 Version 1
Logitech DiNovo Edge

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 22:58:35 »
Exactly how many Model Ms do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I thought I had a lot of Model M. I have close to 10 at the moment.
I'm one ahead of you, but I plan to sell off a bunch of them toward the end of the year.

We need Tom Hanks to solve this mystery of the Church of IBM!
The answer may be far darker than any of us imagine :)

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 May 2009, 07:13:21 »
I'll give you $1 each for them and complain about shipping costs.
I think we're in agreement that that would be dishonest, but I'll point out again that I don't advocate such behavior. My advice is to avoid sellers that will not negotiate actual shipping costs, before making a decision to bid. It's a widespread practice of less-than-admirable sellers to try and make extra earnings on shipping costs.

Offline IBI

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 May 2009, 08:16:13 »
Quote from: ripster;92325
Actually I don't think so, I just tried to make sure iMav didn't change this.

If you change the title of the first post it doesn't flow to the thread title.  

Don't ask me why - my HTML knowledge is limited to pasting in smiley faces.

Well I did it for the retractable numpad keyboard thread I posted in the keyboards from so it definitely does work under some circumstances - possibly when nobody's yet replied to the thread?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline IBI

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 May 2009, 14:53:51 »
Quote from: ripster;92443
IBI, please try modifying the post title now and see if it flows to the thread title.

Yeah, it's not working there. It looks like it's just for threads without replies then.