Author Topic: "Fantastic" deal, only $1,999.99 + Shipping for an IBM 77 Key 4704 6019303  (Read 16415 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: "Fantastic" deal, only $1,999.99 + Shipping for an IBM 77 Key 4704 6019303
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 18:42:16 »

I feel no remorse for saying that the price is horrible.

That is what makes a free market tick.

Personally, I think that somebody who would pay over $20 for a "manufactured" key cap (unless it was cast out of a precious metal) is nuts. A custom, hand-crafted cap could be worth much more, I agree.

I also think that anybody who paid "x" hundreds of dollars for a plastic keyboard with Cherry switches, built after President Obama took office, is out of his mind.

On the other hand, this keyboard, more rare and precious than a unicorn, carries a fair and appropriate price tag.
Of course I can't afford it, and probably never will, but I would say the same if it was $3K.

And honestly, this is the first keyboard that I have ever seen that I personally believe to be worth over $1K.

Besides everything else, the seller has already done "all the right mods" to make it perfect, straight out of the box.

Couldn't have said it better.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 18:45:19 »
Man, some of you guys are *******s. Whine about his pricing all you want, but don't attack his character or morality for taking advantage of the free market.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 18:51:02 »
To address what seemed to be a question around the 1991 date that IBM rebuilt this board; all of the F107s I have seen had the original week / year of manufacture on the sticker on the back (such as 26 / 83), and then another sticker underneath the bottom plate inside that had a rebuild date (such as 04 / 96).

I can only assume that IBM rebuilt them as they were no longer manufactured, but still in use at whatever banking establishment still used them.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 18:55:50 »
4. I still don't appreciate people who come around here for the sole purpose of fleecing our membership. I will continue to try and protect others from intentional price gouging, when I see it happening.
Ellipse showed up here and made a bunch of posts in the 'media' section showing off some great IBM keyboards. Over at Deskthority, he bought components and soldered together a bunch of capsense controllers, which have helped a bunch of people (including a bunch of geekhackers) to bring old Model F and beam spring keyboards back to life. He sold them for an entirely reasonable price.

He put up a post in the classifieds section at geekhack after meeting the requirements to do so. If you think that was too soon, or if you think he’s too aggressive in marketing stuff for sale, maybe lobby for those classifieds requirements to be changed, or send him a private message asking that he engage with the community in some more complete way, or at the very least stick to calling him out for things he actually did. If you just said “this guy sure aggressively markets his stuff, and he doesn’t seem to be interested in becoming a member of the community” then we can probably manage some semblance of a reasonable discussion about that.

This particular “great finds” post wasn’t made by Ellipse; I hardly think any public auction on eBay that then gets linked by a different member here can be interpreted as an attempt to take advantage specifically of geekhack members.

Anyhow, I don’t think it’s at all fair to say that his “sole purpose” (or indeed his purpose at all) is to fleece anyone. Who are you to judge that this particular auction is “price gouging” or “fleecing”?

To “fleece” someone is to defraud/cheat/swindle them, usually someone with more information/experience getting the best of someone clueless. Absolutely no one is going to accidentally buy this keyboard for $2000 because they’re clueless. The only people interested at all are serious collectors. If you want to define “fleece” down to just mean “overcharge”, then who is deciding the proper price? There are basically none of these for sale anywhere, so there’s no clearly established market price. I suspect if you wanted to buy Parak’s, you’d need to pay more than $2000, but I’m not Parak so I couldn’t tell you for sure.

If you want to get technical, “price gouging” is what happens sellers price basic necessities at outrageously high prices after extreme shocks (like natural disasters, etc.), and people who can’t afford it end up starving or suffering serious harms. No homeless dudes are going to starve because they couldn’t get a 25 year old IBM keyboard.

As far as I can tell, Ellipse’s auction and all of his posts have been entirely straight-forward and devoid of any kind of trickery. His ebay pages are very clear and explicit, with good pictures, and thorough text.

Charging higher for a very rare computer keyboard than your personal concept of what it’s worth is not “price gouging”, or “fleecing”. It’s just a routine pricing decision in an uncertain market. If nobody wants the keyboard for $2000, then it’ll either stay on the market for a long time unsold, or the price will drop until someone is willing to pay. This is exactly what every seller should do in my opinion. There’s no good reason for a seller to charge a tiny fraction of market price just to appease a handful of angry dudes somewhere on the internet who think the price is too high.

If you (you generically, this goes for everyone here) want to warn buyers away from paying too much, then some reasonable things to say might be “I don’t think this is worth that much; you should get X keyboard for $Y instead” or “I just saw one of these clear in a contested auction for the much cheaper price $Z” or “I have a lead that 10 more of these keyboards are going to hit the market next week, so you should wait for the price to fall”, or “damn I’m jealous but I would never spend that much on a single keyboard”, or I’ll even take “I hope this comes with Mandolin crystals”.

If you’re going to instead make claims like “wow this seller is probably a fraudster/scammer/profiteer/*******/...” then you’d better have some damn good evidence to back it up; these kind of character attacks without anything to back them up give our whole community a bad name, especially when the one libelous attack turns into a whole dog pile without anyone stopping to look for proof.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:27:18 by jacobolus »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:06:36 »
Way off topic here, but relevant to another thread in another universe:

These replies show up with weird "Re:&quote;Fantastic&quote ...." headers instead of the proper thread title.

Somehow, this has got to be tied to the quoting/reply problem I reported elsewhere:

#54 Jacobolus
#10/48 Jcarpe
#40 E29
#39 Spam Ray
#32 Photekq
# 24/25/31 Intelli78
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:42:05 »
Quoting is broken for me here.

@jacobulus, I know well your love for debate, but I can forgive your penchant for rhetoric, because you are no simple "armchair warrior" or "keyboard cowboy." You make and do things here, which I highly respect. My beef is not with you, although I find it somewhat amusing that you have chosen to champion this individual, for whatever reason.

And in reality, this is an internet forum, not a marketplace or other public venue where sellers are judged by the public at-large by the comments we make. We, as participants of this internet forum, are afforded liberal application of the First Amendment, due to the way we interact with each other here. So your usage the term "libelous" to describe the comments in this thread is not quite appropriate.

I may be an *******, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:49:08 »

Seriously considering adding this to my signature.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:52:59 »
Libel = published defamatory statements (written / broadcast), as compared to slander, which is spoken defamation. I don’t think anything folks say here causes enough reputation damage to be worthy of a lawsuit about it, and I highly doubt Ellipse is going to sue you, but something can be libelous without any official court judgement.

If you prefer, I can stick to calling your character attacks “callumnious” instead.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 20:00:16 by jacobolus »

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 20:05:18 »

Right?  That's an awesome line.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 20:05:34 »
jacobolus - thank you for your well-worded defense here.  Free speech certainly does not cover statements that falsely damage someone's reputation. 

orihalcon - I would agree with you - the F77 keyboard cable was wrapped that way when I got it, and combined with the repair log and virtually unused inner assembly, it seems like there may have been a failure in the keyboard around 1991, then a fast replacement with another 4700 bank keyboard to minimize down time, then this F77 was sent to an IBM repair facility and left on the shelf in a warehouse as a spare.  Again, just my thinking on what happened. 

My guess is many F62s and F77s were "upgraded" to F107s within a few years after they were introduced, unless the client objected.  Especially if they were leased from IBM in the first place which many 4700 bank branch systems likely were.  Probably similar to the AT&T phone repair people being required by AT&T policy to replace the candlestick phones that were technically rented from the phone company in the 30s and 40s with later model, non-candlestick phones after they came out (unless the homeowner objected). 

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 22:10:07 »
So much hate.  This keyboard is certainly expensive but also many would call the "Holy Grail" of keyboards.  While most of us would likely never pay that much, someone might.  If not than it either never sells or the price goes lower.  Its not like Ellipse came in hating on everyone buying keyboards from people and reselling for a profit though he does mostly come here to market stuff.  No problem with that IMO though I'm sure some people will disagree with the philosophy.  IMO if you don't have positive or constructive feedback it is probably best to hold your tongue or confine it to a PM.  But  I'm just thinking out loud. 

I'm actually very interested to see what happens with this keyboard.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 22:36:55 »
I'm actually very interested to see what happens with this keyboard.

As am I...

And to vouch somewhat for Ellipse's statements, I've spoken with many resellers across North America back when I was trying to find my namesake keyboards - indeed they don't want to talk in small quantities. Their world talks by the pallet load, not by units, and a pallet load of scrap metal plus the associated logistics and processing time to get anything ready to use is a lot more expensive than I think most have available to invest.

That being said, I want one of these keyboards and I am forever regretful that I went live with my information prior to securing one for myself. But, well, that's life.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 07:51:10 »
That being said, I want one of these keyboards and I am forever regretful that I went live with my information prior to securing one for myself. But, well, that's life.

That's the life of an enthusiast.  You find something interesting and instead of trying to monetize it you share it with the community.

Your detailed documentation of a multitude of IBM keyboards is a go-to reference for many and appreciated by said community.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 08:03:11 »

That's the life of an enthusiast.  You find something interesting and instead of trying to monetize it you share it with the community.

Your detailed documentation of a multitude of IBM keyboards is a go-to reference for many and appreciated by said community.

QFT
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 08:08:27 »
So are you kids going to publicly apologize now, or just quietly slink away when it�s pointed out what jerks you were being, and let fohat apologize for you?

lol kids. I stand by my statement, I ain't apologising for ****.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 08:11:01 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 08:32:06 »

You people need to watch The Big Lebowski.

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 08:33:18 »

Show Image

One of my favourite movies actually!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 08:35:44 »
Stupid double post.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:39:54 »

Show Image

Obviously, you're not a golfer.   :thumb:

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
Just came across this thread, looked at whats going on, and heres what I think(if anyone cares :blank: )

I think the price is very much, but can be justified. Its a one of a kind item that cannot be reproduced without IBM going back to their roots. No shipping is a bullet to the balls, I think he should reconsider that move if he wants to sell it.

So maybe it is one of those deals where he wants to squeeze every dollar out the keyboard. But I am sure that anyone else that did not know the community would do the same thing if he knew how much the board costs and wanted to sell it. Which brings me to my next point. In general, I wish people would only sell on r/mechmarket or sell here or deskthority than use ebay. Why? Because anyone can look at the prices on ebay and see these absolutely insane bidding wars that have huge price tags that justifies selling them for >200$. So eventually no one can buy the boards at a reasonable price anywhere anymore.

Also, if he bought it from Cindy for a reasonable price and then is trying to make this much money off of it then that is just wrong.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I wish people would only sell on r/mechmarket or sell here or deskthority than use ebay.

Clearly, you are "a buyer" and not "a seller".

I seldom get a good price for my items here because "everybody knows what things are worth" (that is, they know what they wish that they could buy them for, and somebody said that they got one for even less in 2009).

Ebay, for all of its rapaciousness (and I have written thousands of words on that subject, here and elsewhere) is the marketplace for the planet, and that is where you will find the most serious and well-heeled buyers.

A quick stroll through this thread will show you what a bunch of jealous drooling nerds Geekhackers can be.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Yup, that's exactly what it is fohat.  /s

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
As I put on my classified thread,  my price range is now lowered a bit to $1725 to $1900 (outside of eBay).  I will also accept trades+cash e.g. for an F62+cash.  The F62 must be in good condition,  not repainted.

If it does not sell I am happy to keep it as a spare.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
I've got a nice bridge I can trade for it.