Author Topic: Look what I bought on eBay:  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Look what I bought on eBay:
« on: Mon, 23 November 2009, 17:16:51 »
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CHICONY-KB-5161-Keyboard-WHITE-SLIDERS-RARE_W0QQitemZ250182953004QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item3a4010e82c

It may require some cleaning and some minor mantinence but it looks like it is a good keyboard. All i will need to use it is an AT to PS/2 adapter. I'm pretty sure I can find one on eBay.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2009, 17:46:39 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 November 2009, 19:36:29 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;135679
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CHICONY-KB-5161-Keyboard-WHITE-SLIDERS-RARE_W0QQitemZ250182953004QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item3a4010e82c

It may require some cleaning and some minor mantinence but it looks like it is a good keyboard. All i will need to use it is an AT to PS/2 adapter. I'm pretty sure I can find one on eBay.

Very cool.  I am a big fan of some Chicony keyboards.

I bought several NIB KB-5181 keyboards from a wholesaler in Phoenix.  The 5181s use blue SMK Monterey key switches that are a pleasure to type on - sharp tactile bump, with a light touch.  These key switches were intended to be "ALPS like", but I don't think they feel similar to the original complicated ALPS keyswitches.  They're sort of a cross between Cherry MX Blues and buckling springs - very clicky but not too loud.

I have a few passive AT to ps/2 adapters lying around.  If you can't find one easily, I'll send you one.  You may need to get a blue cube ps/2 to USB adapter to enable your 5161 to work with a modern PC.  ClickyKeyboards.com has them for $15 and ripster has posted another online source where you can get them for $7.
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 November 2009, 19:43:15 »
Quote from: maxlugar;135719
Very cool.  I am a big fan of some Chicony keyboards.

I bought several NIB KB-5181 keyboards from a wholesaler in Phoenix.  The 5181s use blue SMK Monterey key switches that are a pleasure to type on - sharp tactile bump, with a light touch.  These key switches were intended to be "ALPS like", but I don't think they feel similar to the original complicated ALPS keyswitches.  They're sort of a cross between Cherry MX Blues and buckling springs - very clicky but not too loud.

I have a few passive AT to ps/2 adapters lying around.  If you can't find one easily, I'll send you one.  You may need to get a blue cube ps/2 to USB adapter to enable your 5161 to work with a modern PC.  ClickyKeyboards.com has them for $15 and ripster has posted another online source where you can get them for $7.

Thanks for the info. I would be very thankfull if you would be able to send me an adapter, seeing as how I have no way to use the keyboard unless I have one. Just tell me where to send my information and I'll get that to you.  Should I send it via email or via a message in the geekhack forums?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2009, 20:05:16 »
You need some OLD computers.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS