Author Topic: Goodwill Industrial Model M  (Read 14596 times)

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Goodwill Industrial Model M
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 18:35:48 »
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 18:48:12 »
Link was posted at Deskthority:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/1985-IBM-Model-M-Industrial-Grey-AT-Keyboard-29074934.html

Why Alt green? Very clean board.. like it's new and untouched.
Most old Model Ms have that. I think I've only ever found one that didn't, come to think of it xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline khronokrator

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 23:59:20 »
Yes, anons, go ahead and bid that price up into the multiple hundreds of dollars. Let's see if we can break $1000. :rolleyes:

But Chyros is right. Older Model Ms tended to come in different colors... mine has green colored Alt keys, blue colored Ctrl keys, and an actual speaker in the back, not just an empty grill (there's apparently no way to make it do anything, though).
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2016, 00:03:06 by khronokrator »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 00:51:01 »
I'm sure Goodwill will be pleasantly surprised. In this case, no matter how ridiculously high the bidding goes, it'll be for a good cause.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:55:29 »
Link was posted at Deskthority:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/1985-IBM-Model-M-Industrial-Grey-AT-Keyboard-29074934.html

Why Alt green? Very clean board.. like it's new and untouched.
Most old Model Ms have that. I think I've only ever found one that didn't, come to think of it xD .

Gives the board great character. Never seen it on any (stock) board before.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 00:02:55 »
I'm sure Goodwill will be pleasantly surprised. In this case, no matter how ridiculously high the bidding goes, it'll be for a good cause.

Or so they say...

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:40:30 »
$701. Not bad.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:43:02 »
$701. Not bad.

Is that cynical? Or are these boards really THAT expensive?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:47:21 »
I really don't doubt that this is another example of shill bids. It seems they have been going after quite literally any keyboard.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:48:54 »
I really don't doubt that this is another example of shill bids. It seems they have been going after quite literally any keyboard.

You mean like they buy it all and thus control the market? Or do you mean something else?

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:52:43 »
$701. Not bad.

Is that cynical? Or are these boards really THAT expensive?

Not cynical at all, with rare IBMs the prices fluctuate so it's anybody's guess. I wouldn't pay that much but then again I'm not a great collector.  ^-^

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:53:18 »
The money goes towards the employees of Goodwill so of course this is all for a good cause :)

I didn't know about the green alt keys, that's really cool info
Chris Schammert

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:54:03 »
You mean like they buy it all and thus control the market? Or do you mean something else?
No. A shill bid is one made in order to raise the price, but without the intention to actually buy the item.
github

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:58:56 »
No. A shill bid is one made in order to raise the price, but without the intention to actually buy the item.

Still bids can also be done by people who will buy the item, but are trying to artificially inflate the price because they hold a bunch in reserve and want to drive up the price of their stock.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:02:48 »

A shill bid is one made in concert with the seller to inflate the sale price.   I would hope you're not implying Goodwill bid up their own item.

The random ******* firing off bids to raise the price is just that.

I don't know that either happened here.  It's higher than we've seen lately, not the highest we've ever seen though.  And these don't pop up that often.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:06:34 »
A shill bid is one made in concert with the seller to inflate the sale price.
Ooh, sorry.. My terminology wasn't correct then. No, I didn't mean that it's Goodwill doing it.

There's so many examples of keyboards going up to truly ABSURD prices lately, and almost all of them have been done by 0 feedback members, and most of them have been relisted. Blue alps, Cherry boards, now maybe IBM keyboards?

I really wish I knew the motive of these people.
github

Offline khronokrator

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:43:54 »
I think Photek is right on this one.

It's not a collusion on the part of the sellers, it's just a bunch of trolls who seem to lurk primarily on GH and DT who deliberately inflate the price of any 'desirable' keyboards that get listed. It's notable that things like Blue Alps boards that slip under the radar and don't get mentioned on this forum or on DT's Great Finds thread (and whose sellers are ignorant of the market bubble going on) don't sell for these absurd prices.

As to their motives, I couldn't speculate. Old fashioned trolling, or just driving up the market price so their own stuff will sell for thousands? Who knows.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:09:54 »
Funny, this one is located at the Goodwill HQ I drive past on my way to and from work.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:19:42 »
A shill bid is one made in concert with the seller to inflate the sale price.
Ooh, sorry.. My terminology wasn't correct then. No, I didn't mean that it's Goodwill doing it.

There's so many examples of keyboards going up to truly ABSURD prices lately, and almost all of them have been done by 0 feedback members, and most of them have been relisted. Blue alps, Cherry boards, now maybe IBM keyboards?

I really wish I knew the motive of these people.

probably kids that can't afford the board, but don't want other people to have it

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:34:22 »
"Pump and dump" is an age-old technique to drive up prices on something that you have and want to make a profit on, but it depends on the "dump" portion happening quickly, otherwise it is counter-productive.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:45:55 »
"Pump and dump" is an age-old technique to drive up prices on something that you have and want to make a profit on, but it depends on the "dump" portion happening quickly, otherwise it is counter-productive.
That's the funny thing. I haven't been noticing this happen to a specific item. It's been happening to a lot of things.
github

Offline khronokrator

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:03:44 »
Exactly so. Worryingly, it seems to be "Whatever is posted on GH/DT that is in high demand," so Blue Alps boards and rare Model Ms as a matter of course (ironically, I haven't seen too much ridiculous inflation on the Model Fs that have come out the last few months).

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 05:52:16 »
Exactly so. Worryingly, it seems to be "Whatever is posted on GH/DT that is in high demand," so Blue Alps boards and rare Model Ms as a matter of course (ironically, I haven't seen too much ridiculous inflation on the Model Fs that have come out the last few months).

Seems how markets operate: what's perceived to be valuable, once sellers notice that they pump up dem price. LIFE IS UNFAIR

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:23:49 »
Damn, am I glad I have one of these xD . With these prices I'd almost get tempted to sell it xD .

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:47:52 »
Damn, am I glad I have one of these xD . With these prices I'd almost get tempted to sell it xD .

I am scary of getting into vintage now..

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:25:12 »

No man, vintage is generally much cheaper than the alternatives xD . Just one or two that cost a ridiculous amount of money, and it's often something fairly superficial ;) .

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:56:21 »

No man, vintage is generally much cheaper than the alternatives xD . Just one or two that cost a ridiculous amount of money, and it's often something fairly superficial ;) .

Pfeww... ok then :)

Offline Khuya

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:54:32 »
I am wondering if all the PC Recycling and Goodwill shop know the values of these.  I stop by a few on my way home from work, and can't find any thing beside those free keyboards that come with the computer.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:14:10 »

The prices cycle.  $700 is a bit high of late for M industrials, but we've seen much higher.  Lately I think they've mostly been in the $350 range (but stand to be corrected on that).
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:35:52 »
Insane.  I think I can live with my non-industrial barcode label M for under $50.  This is the only bar code label industrial M I have seen, and one of the earliest Model M's.  I can probably find it if I look, but what is the earliest known model M.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:05:29 »
Insane.  I think I can live with my non-industrial barcode label M for under $50.  This is the only bar code label industrial M I have seen, and one of the earliest Model M's.  I can probably find it if I look, but what is the earliest known model M.
I think all 1388032s have a barcode label - that said, it's a pretty damn rare model to begin with xD .

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 01:48:59 »
I could buy a couple industrials off Taobao at around 200-300AUD each, then dump em all for 600 each sound like a good plan yeah?

but in all honesty it's probably due to the influx of people getting in the hobby due to reddit, and hearing about old vintage kbs being so rare and all and bidding a stupid amount in order to flip the boards for a profit, which is why we see prices suddenly rising

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 03:25:03 »
Reddit? They don't give a **** about anything that isn't Cherry MX and with ridiculous backlighting :P .

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 03:40:58 »
Reddit? They don't give a **** about anything that isn't Cherry MX and with ridiculous backlighting :P .

they care alot about 'muh thrift shop model m'

Offline khronokrator

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 16:06:05 »
Thrift shop finds are about the extent of what reddit cares about as far as vintage boards are concerned, yes. It tends to be dominated by about 70% modern backlit Cherry gaming boards (most things that hit the front page are usually "look at my first Razer/Corsair/Logitech/Torpre mechanical keyboard") and 25% Torpre, but forget anything Alps or vintage that's not a Model M.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 16:11:33 by khronokrator »

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 16:37:49 »
Thrift shop finds are about the extent of what reddit cares about as far as vintage boards are concerned, yes. It tends to be dominated by about 70% modern backlit Cherry gaming boards (most things that hit the front page are usually "look at my first Razer/Corsair/Logitech/Torpre mechanical keyboard") and 25% Torpre, but forget anything Alps or vintage that's not a Model M.

DAE just hate reddit and people being excited about things that I personally am not?!?!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 19:03:22 »
On Reddit they stealing pics of Model F 122 precious. They stole the precious. ^-^

But seriously, more people need to donate rare keyboards for Goodwill auctions like this one.
Chris Schammert

Offline khronokrator

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 02:30:57 »

DAE just hate reddit and people being excited about things that I personally am not?!?!

Nah, I understand why they are the way they are, I sometimes come off as a bit salty. r/mk is a great resource for beginners (and everyone has to start somewhere), *and* for getting people interested in mechanical keyboards, but I unsubscribed a while ago after I'd 'moved on' from Cherry keyboards and decided my real interest lay in vintage Alps and buckling springs... which the sub is generally not overflowing with discussions on.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 11:04:14 »

so you think gh is much better? Most people here don't give a **** about anything other than cherry, topre, bs, alps, and topre.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 11:22:47 »
Most people here don't give a **** about anything other than cherry, topre, bs, alps, and topre.

I don't know about that. A lot of us love Hi-Tek and beam springs and Hall effects are lusted after, as well.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:28:30 »
Most people here don't give a **** about anything other than cherry, topre, bs, alps, and topre.

I don't know about that. A lot of us love Hi-Tek and beam springs and Hall effects are lusted after, as well.
I guess in terms of love for exotic switches, DT > GH > reddit xD .

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 22:39:06 »

I would love them but they just aren't accessible to me. I think DT might have more older, higher income members?

I'm just a low status disposable male who can barely afford anything to play with. ;)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 23:17:29 »
What I will say.  I love me some exotic switches.  E.g. Vintage alps and bs switches.  I do tend to spend more time @dt as a result.  I definitely spend the least at Reddit, except to view what vintage boards I can find, a few days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 00:06:14 »

I would love them but they just aren't accessible to me. I think DT might have more older, higher income members?

I'm just a low status disposable male who can barely afford anything to play with. ;)
That's just it, vintage keyboards are way cheaper than modern ones! I've got tons of vintage boards but I wouldn't have been able to afford more than maybe 1 modern one!

Personally, I think it's the high percentage of Europeans on DT. Europeans tend to like old things more than Americans (Old World vs New World basically).

Offline khronokrator

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 03:20:44 »
Theoretically and on average, vintage boards are cheaper than the modern mechs targeted at the 'gamer' crowd. However, that goes out the window when you're talking GreedBay and anything that's currently in vogue, which is Blue Alps right now thanks to months of hype and shill bidding. Good like finding a Blue Alps keyboard on eBay for less than $200 these days, which is more than even the top-of-the-line Razer Chroma or Corsair RGB boards, and it'll probably be dirty and beat up (anything remotely clean and the price goes up to $400+).

But more common vintage boards can be very comfortably had in the $40-$70 range.

It really all depends on what you have access to. If you're like Chyros and have tons of ecyclers and universities within easy reach, then old mechs can be easily obtained for little money. If you're like me and live in a rural area where neither of those things are found for hundreds of miles, well, it's GreedBay markup all the way! :p
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2016, 03:29:50 by khronokrator »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:07:52 »

I would love them but they just aren't accessible to me.

There are high school students on here buying $500 keyboards - it blows my mind, as we used to say in the 1960s. (not to mention $200 key caps - even more staggering)

80%-90% of the keyboards that have passed through my hands have cost $0-$5 and have been little more than junk to the sellers, or free as I intercepted them on the way to the dumpster.

But you might well have to dig through mounds of nasty crap to find the occasional peach, which might also be nasty.

One of my top favorite keyboards is a Dell AT101W with orange Alps from an AEK transplanted in. I doubt that I paid more than $5 for either of them, although I did invest a couple of hours cleaning and soldering. (note that have upgraded it along the way with older Dell key caps and a black case with the weight bar from the old AT101, but that is trivial)
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:12:47 »

I would love them but they just aren't accessible to me.

There are high school students on here buying $500 keyboards - it blows my mind, as we used to say in the 1960s. (not to mention $200 key caps - even more staggering)

80%-90% of the keyboards that have passed through my hands have cost $0-$5 and have been little more than junk to the sellers, or free as I intercepted them on the way to the dumpster.

But you might well have to dig through mounds of nasty crap to find the occasional peach, which might also be nasty.

One of my top favorite keyboards is a Dell AT101W with orange Alps from an AEK transplanted in. I doubt that I paid more than $5 for either of them, although I did invest a couple of hours cleaning and soldering. (note that have upgraded it along the way with older Dell key caps and a black case with the weight bar from the old AT101, but that is trivial)

ah i wish i could find vintage boards in australia....

best ive done is a g80-11802 for 20$aud...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:35:50 »

Are you kidding? Your countrymen have posted finds of Model Ms on the side of the road on recycling day!

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:55:29 »

Are you kidding? Your countrymen have posted finds of Model Ms on the side of the road on recycling day!

oh believe me ive walked around on those days hoping to find boards. the result was an aged apple keyboard ii, a rubber dome :(