Author Topic: Need Keyboard Recommendation ( Buying from Japan )  (Read 1319 times)

Offline vmod

Need Keyboard Recommendation ( Buying from Japan )
« on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 02:37:18 »
Hi,

Before I ask the actual question here is a little background which should help you recommend me a board better. (You can skip and go to the bold text if you want to go to my question directly)

As you can tell I am really new here and new to mechanical keyboards too.
My first and only mechanical keyboard is the only reasonably priced keyboard in India, the TVS-e Gold with Cherry MX Blue Switches. (PS/2 version) It costs about $30 and as got it quickly as I can as I felt like before I dive in, I should know if I like the concept of mechanical switches or not. Been using membrane/rubber dome keyboard for about 7-8 years. Before that my dad had the some buckling spring keyboard ( not sure which ) but we gave it away as I never knew how valuable it was/is until now.  :-[
Review of the TVS-e Gold by P3TC0CK is here

So its been barely 2 weeks I got this keyboard and to be honest I am still getting used to the switches, missing a palm/wrist rest and the InScript layout isn't helping either. ( big Enter key + small backspace key ). So that is where I am at.

Now back to the main question, so a friend of mine is coming from Japan in a week or so. And I was wondering if I should ask him to get me a good keyboard with him as getting mechanical keyboards in India is very difficult and getting it shipped here is very expensive. ( total cost doubles )

I am in the dilemma that should I just first get used to the blue switches and the keyboard and push this buy for few months ( he will go back and come back by the end of the year or early next year ) or just get one from Japan and be okay with it?
As I haven't used any other switch ( tried red switches but that was for a brief ~2 hours ), hell I cant even say that I have used the blue switches that extensively yet. I was travelling for 4 days in last week after I barely started using the new keyboard.

What do you guys suggest? Any recommendation or even advice on to get it or not is appreciated.

Thank you all.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Need Keyboard Recommendation ( Buying from Japan )
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 04:42:30 »
I'm not familiar with that keyboard so I'm not sure of the quality of it, but for $30 I'm not that confident in it.

On the one side, you will want a good quality board, and using the opportunity of your friend coming over from Japan to get another one is a good idea, especially as Japan is one of the meccas of the keyboarding world.

On the other hand, you have only had a mech for 2 weeks, and if your friend doesn't come over from Japan all that often, you will want a good quality board, which will cost you a fair amount, depending on what you want to go for.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline vmod

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 05:20:16 »
I'm not familiar with that keyboard so I'm not sure of the quality of it, but for $30 I'm not that confident in it.
Correct. The quality is meh. But I did not expect any decent quality at that price.

On the one side, you will want a good quality board, and using the opportunity of your friend coming over from Japan to get another one is a good idea, especially as Japan is one of the meccas of the keyboarding world.
Ya after all the things I have read it feels like thats one of the best places to get a good quality board. 

On the other hand, you have only had a mech for 2 weeks, and if your friend doesn't come over from Japan all that often, you will want a good quality board, which will cost you a fair amount, depending on what you want to go for.
He certainly will come but true things can get tough and his next visit could be delayed more. The only good thing about the wait being, I might be certain by then which keyboard I would want to buy next ( hopefully ).

Thanks for replying.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 08:59:21 »
Without knowing your preference in switch types or form factor, I will say that it sounds like a good opportunity to pick up a Topre board for much cheaper than you can get it outside Asia. You can get a Realforce 87U or 104U for around ¥20000 retail, or get a secondhand one on auction at yahoo JP. They come in ergonomic variable (30/45/55g), 45g, or 55g. There is also a high-profile version.

Buying one of these is also fairly safe, as they have good resale value and if you don't like it, it's very likely that someone will buy it off you for around retail value. If you're lucky you might even get all your money back (or more, because they're cheaper in Japan).
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline vmod

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 10:25:34 »
Without knowing your preference in switch types or form factor, I will say that it sounds like a good opportunity to pick up a Topre board for much cheaper than you can get it outside Asia. You can get a Realforce 87U or 104U for around ¥20000 retail, or get a secondhand one on auction at yahoo JP. They come in ergonomic variable (30/45/55g), 45g, or 55g. There is also a high-profile version.

Buying one of these is also fairly safe, as they have good resale value and if you don't like it, it's very likely that someone will buy it off you for around retail value. If you're lucky you might even get all your money back (or more, because they're cheaper in Japan).

Oh since I am new I actually never have used anything other than the normal standard size keyboard. So I am a little sceptic about other form factors.
But I get the idea, not bad advice. Never gave Topre a thought really.
The idea of getting even 60-70% as resale value sounds nice, you are saying 100% or more. Thats great. But there is little-to-no market for mechanical keyboards in India would be really hard to find a Topre buyer for me ( if I need to sell it ).  I will look into standard size Topre.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 10:38:38 »
Ah, yeah. Buyers would most likely be in a different country so you'd take a bit of a loss on shipping, most likely.

Full-size ones seem less popular so it may also not resell for quite as much as an 80%.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit