Author Topic: Which CM STORM keyboard choose?  (Read 66607 times)

Offline xpsycho95x

Which CM STORM keyboard choose?
« on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 07:11:08 »
I've been looking  for a mechanical keyboard since 1 week  and I found the CM Storm QuickFire XT being my ideal one. I prefer a full size keyboard and I don't care about the backlight. The problem is that the XT is sold in Italian online stores only in mx brown and blue switches, while I'd like to have the red ones. Then I also saw the cm storm TK which isn't fullsize but it has at least the numpad that I use sometimes. The TK also comes in red switches but I don't know if its quality is the same as the XT (read here that the xt is costar while tk not). As regards the quick fire ultimate, it also comes with red switches but  I read that is an iOne keyboard and that the build quality isn't as good as the costar. My main question is: to get the XT with brown switches because they are similiar to red but with a bit of tactile feedback or the tk or the ultimate with red switches? Is their build quality so cheap compared to the XT?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Which CM STORM keyboard choose?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 08:17:18 »
If you get the layout and form factor you want, you only need to do some soldering to replace the switches with ones that you prefer.  I'm biased towards DIY modding. :p

So, if you get the XT:
- it's full-size
- it has a regular bottom row layout (1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 6.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25) -- it will be easier to get replacement keycaps
- BUT you will need to do soldering to swap the switches for reds
83834-0

As for the Ultimate, while it is full-size and has reds, it has an non-standard bottom row (1.5 - 1 - 1.5 - 6 - 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1.5) which will make sourcing a replacement set of keycaps a little difficult.
83832-1

The TK likewise has an non-standard bottom row (1.5 - 1 - 1.25 - 6.5 - 1.25 - 1 - 1 - 1.5).
83830-2

Offline xpsycho95x

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 08:36:23 »
thank you for pointing out the different button layouts. I don't think I will mod the keyboar or change keycaps, so my main dilemma regards the overall build quality. I read on this forum that costar>>>ione, so would the quickfire ultimate (which is iOne) be a bad buy compared to the XT?

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 08:57:13 »
Hi,

if you want red switches, do not get browns. Browns do feel very different.
I'm using blacks for gaming and blues for typing. For gaming I strongly recommend a linear switch. The reds are probably going to serve you better than the browns.

If you want to change the keycaps of the keyboard a standard bottom row would be better, because it is easier to get the right keycaps. (as Infiniti already stated)
If you don't want to change them, and just use the keycaps that come with the keyboard, bottom-row layout shouldn't bother you.

I vote for the Ultimate, just because of the red switches.
Reds are really nice switches for entering the world of mechanical keyboards and they are perfect for gaming.

If you really want to go for browns, I would take the XT over the TK, because of the standard bottom row and the build quality of the TK (it's bad).
I bought a Quickfire TK with browns, but I had to send it back, because I disliked the build quality and the browns (to me) felt like broken reds.

Offline xpsycho95x

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:27:42 »
Isn't there any good mx red kb manufactured by costar besides the XT and the QFR? I don't know if picking the ultimate is a good choice because it's manufactured by iOne and the XT build is far better (as I can read). What about qf ultimate vs corsair k70? I can get the k70 for 50€ more
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:30:13 by xpsycho95x »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:42:22 »
Here's a discussion of keyboard OEMs: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37861.0

There's a listing and summary of boards made by Costar and iOne that you may find useful.

Offline xpsycho95x

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:50:53 »
Thank you, here is  stated that: "CM Storm QuickFire Pro - Sounds like the main complaint is the regarding the plug, but I heard it's just people didn't plug it in all the way.  And got member stating that this actually has quality comparable to Costar boards."  If the qf Ultimate is just like a "pro with backlight", does this mean that it also has the same build quality? If so then I'll pick the ultimate.
UPDATE: Also the ultimate is only available in brown switches... So I think I'm going to pick the XT with brown switches. I tried a g710+ in a market with browns (o-ring included) and they felt good to me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 December 2014, 11:03:15 by xpsycho95x »